Jim_Iain Live - 2nd Half World Cruise - B2B Singapore to Down Under 11/25 – 12/21

Jim_Iain

We booked this cruise days after the World Cruise was first announced about 2 years ago.   We had previously done the Singapore to Abu Dabi  and Abu Dabi to Rome  in 2017 and while we loved it were not in a rush to do that segment again. 

First Off -  Ground Rule -  There are none except to be nice to on another.     All are welcome to jump in and help out and if others are on the cruise with us feel free to add your pictures and comments.    As usually nothing is off topic -  OK… Like in Life I’m Rebel and like to break rules, J-Walk and do things my way..  As everyone who knows Iain is aware he is the polar opposite.   Maybe that’s why we get along so well. 

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Planning –

The World Cruise was an instant hit and all of the suites were gobbled up within days of being released.   I initially booked a Sky Suite and wait listed for a Celebrity Suite.     About 4 months later a CS opened up and I grabbed it.   If I recall correctly, I was able to book a CS for the second cruise.

I sent the itinerary to my best friends David and Robert who live in Sydney and they jumped on the opportunity to sail with us again.   I met David on my first business trip to Australia 50 years ago (yikes I’m getting old) and instantly became good friends.    They spent a couple years in San Francisco so was fun to have them close by.  They are the couple that sail Ponant and talked us into trying them out as our first Non-Celebrity cruise earlier this year.    I’m sure I will be sharing pictures of all four of us. 

Not much happened on the planning side for over a year when airlines first opened up the booking window 11 months prior to the cruise.  

• Like 11

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Jim_Iain -  2nd Half World Cruise -  B2B Singapore to Down Under 11/25 – 12/21

Celebrity-Edge-at-sea.thumb.webp.a73e947d9da30fe24017237431e51e9a.webp

Welcome!    Come along and join us for another adventure.  

As an introduction we are Jim (who writes these Live Posts) and Iain, who ends up in most of the pictures.   We have been together 34 years -  or as Iain just said “34 long hard years”  LOL.

Are were  among of the first to be Gay Couples to be married in California.  We were legally married June 2008 days after the California Supreme Court ruled the restriction of Gay Marriage was illegal.   5 Months later California had a referendum to change the constitution and make it illegal again.   Luckily the State Supreme court ruled a small group of 4,000 marriage were grandfathered and would remain legal.  It was another 7 years before the Supreme Court Legalized Gay Marriage Nation Wide. 

We have 3 kids and 5 Grand Children.  

We live in Sunnyvale, CA which is in my mind is a small town of 160,000 in the heart to Silicon Valley.   Sunnyvale is about 50 miles south of San Francisco and 10 miles north of San Jose. 

Ok..  Enough of the background. 

Congratulations to you and lain on your long lasting relationship & marriage!!  I know folks whose relationship didn't last 34 MONTHS!!!  How many days total is your current B2B?  (and you have not totally given up on X, I see😄)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Jim_Iain -  2nd Half World Cruise -  B2B Singapore to Down Under 11/25 – 12/21

Celebrity-Edge-at-sea.thumb.webp.a73e947d9da30fe24017237431e51e9a.webp

Welcome!    Come along and join us for another adventure.  

As an introduction we are Jim (who writes these Live Posts) and Iain, who ends up in most of the pictures.   We have been together 34 years -  or as Iain just said “34 long hard years”  LOL.

Are were  among of the first to be Gay Couples to be married in California.  We were legally married June 2008 days after the California Supreme Court ruled the restriction of Gay Marriage was illegal.   5 Months later California had a referendum to change the constitution and make it illegal again.   Luckily the State Supreme court ruled a small group of 4,000 marriage were grandfathered and would remain legal.  It was another 7 years before the Supreme Court Legalized Gay Marriage Nation Wide. 

We have 3 kids and 5 Grand Children.  

We live in Sunnyvale, CA which is in my mind is a small town of 160,000 in the heart to Silicon Valley.   Sunnyvale is about 50 miles south of San Francisco and 10 miles north of San Jose. 

Ok..  Enough of the background. 

Jim an Iain

Looking forward to your next adventure.  Your pictures are always beautiful and your commentary is quite fun and very informative.  Cruising down under is definitely on our bucket list.  Got to retire first.  Not soon enough though.  We’ll chime in every once and a while.  Enjoy.

Trip and Pam

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks Bev -   We are in a CS for the first cruise and a RS on the second.   About three weeks ago a RS popped up and due the prices dropping after final was able to upgrade to the  RS on a paid basis for $350 but lost my $800 Booking on Board Credit. 

Sounds like a pretty good upgrade/trade off.  OBC is always nice, but a RS experience has got to be better, right?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks Bev -   We are in a CS for the first cruise and a RS on the second.   About three weeks ago a RS popped up and due the prices dropping after final was able to upgrade to the  RS on a paid basis for $350 but lost my $800 Booking on Board Credit. 

Why would you lose the Book on Board credit?  I move bookings and keep it.  They have to manually add it, but they do.

Edited by abbydancer
  • Like 1

Have a wonderful cruise Jim and Iain!  Looking forward to following your adventures again and you are tiding me over until our Med cruise in September 2024.

Singapore is one of my favorite places to visit!  It was the first place I traveled when I started working at Apple, and my first international trip ever in the early 90s.  Enjoy!

8 minutes ago, StopTheWorld said:

Will there be a @Jim_Iain @Norwaylady Multiverse style meeting?? Can you both be in the same place at the same time  without upsetting the balance of Cruise Critic? These are the questions we all want answered! 😃

I will walk off when @Jim_Iain walks on❤️🙃

• Like 1

Waking up this morning East Coast time and what do I see……the start of the @Jim_Iain  Adventure! 👏 Just 20 hours ago and we are already on page 4, I’m late to the party! 🙄

@Norwaylady gas gotten me this far and now @Jim_Iain takes me to December 21st! 

Loved our Australia/ New Zealand cruise in 2019. Loved Edge when we sailed her and can’t wait to Board Ascent February 11th! 

Sail on and have an outstanding Adventure!

Cheers! 

• Like 2

Jim & Iain,

Wishing you safe travels. I will be following mesmerized as I'm sure I will never be in that corner of the world in this lifetime. And since we had to cancel our TA from Rome due to illness, following you will keep my mind off what we are missing.

With 3.5K views in less than 24 hours, are you on the way to setting a record!

Bon Voyage.

Kay

We have some friends currently on the cruise. They are doing the whole 52 days! Enjoy! We will do something like that one day, but as my husband tells me, he will have to work until he is 80 to keep up with all of my cruises 😂. He will retire in a couple of years and then we can go to Australia……among others

• Like 1

Have a FANTASTIC trip! I’ll be following along—I LOVE this part of the world!

Also love the Celebrity Edge; I think its a perfect ship for this type of cruise.

I’ll be curious to see your impression of Singapore. For me, it was like a big, sterile shopping mall. Although I thought the food was excellent.

18 hours ago, abbydancer said:

I'm following as usual.  In March, I'm on the Solstice on a similar itinerary, but you knew that.  Hmmm, I added that to my Sydney to Vancouver because it turned out flying to Sydney was so much more that it almost paid for the cruise.  (Maybe you should consider that).  

Have a great trip.  I'm looking forward to hearing about it.

We have to stay home a couple months.   I bought a Round Trip from Sunday so will is second half to fly to Sydney. 

18 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Looking forward to your latest adventure.  I'm in Fort Lauderdale tonight.  We set sail on the Silhouette tomorrow for a 10-night Thanksgiving cruise.

Thank Linda.  Have a great cruise.   Really love Silhouette