Visa for US citizen to the South pacific.

oregonN

Does a US citizen need a visa for American Samoa, Western Samoa, Fiji, and/or French Polynesia? We are going on a south pacific cruise next year and my research indicates non required. But I want to know of your experience if you've been to these places.

1 hour ago, oregonN said:

I'm not guessing either. I agree it's much too important. My research all indicates a visa is not required. I'm looking for your experiences if you've actually been to these south pacific islands.

When we went (some years ago) we needed no visas.  But things can change.

5 hours ago, oregonN said:

I'm not guessing either. I agree it's much too important. My research all indicates a visa is not required. I'm looking for your experiences if you've actually been to these south pacific islands.

Been there, done that, and did not need any Visas.  That being said, countries do change their entry requirements so we agree with the posts that folks should always check the current entry requirements for each country on any cruise.   

One warning.  These days it is always wise to make sure you have at least 6 months validity on your Passport.  Various countries, around the world, have different requirements which do range up to 6 months.

Hank

• Like 1

It might be worth noting, that if you are going to New Caledonia, it is mandatory to have travel insurance covering medical (covid cover) and repatriation. This is currently mandated by the New Caledonian government. This may change by the time you go next year, but worth keeping an eye on the New Caledonian government website.

48 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Been there, done that, and did not need any Visas.  That being said, countries do change their entry requirements so we agree with the posts that folks should always check the current entry requirements for each country on any cruise.   

One warning.  These days it is always wise to make sure you have at least 6 months validity on your Passport.  Various countries, around the world, have different requirements which do range up to 6 months.

Hank

Note:  To be safe, make sure your passports do not expire until at least 6 months after your scheduled *departure* from each country (not your arrival date).  If there is a shorter requirement, not problem, but you don't want the reverse situation...  (You might be denied boarding at the initial embarkation port, where they check passports along with other documents.)

GC

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Note:  To be safe, make sure your passports do not expire until at least 6 months after your scheduled *departure* from each country (not your arrival date).  If there is a shorter requirement, not problem, but you don't want the reverse situation...  (You might be denied boarding at the initial embarkation port, where they check passports along with other documents.)

GC

Actually some countries are now requiring longer than 6 months. One cruise we are going on in the  Pacific requires 9 months and also insurance. 

I agree with so many others .... study the requirements and verify yourself 😉

On 11/21/2023 at 10:59 AM, oregonN said:

Does a US citizen need a visa for American Samoa, Western Samoa, Fiji, and/or French Polynesia? We are going on a south pacific cruise next year and my research indicates non required. But I want to know of your experience if you've been to these places.

This is the wrong place to ask that question. Contact the consulate or embassy for each visited country after reviewing the visa info on their websites. If that info is confirmed, follow the instructions to obtain any required visa. 
BTW, do not rely on info you may have obtained at an earlier time. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you everyone. I have done much research on the US State Department website and the various south pacific island websites. I will do so again 3 to 4 months before sail away date. I wanted real life experiences and you all have given me much information. Again, thank you to all of you.