Grab Those Dining Reservations...

Ithikan

Interesting email from Azamara today.  "Experience a Memorable Culinary Adventure" invites us to pre-purchase the dining packages before boarding.  And the fine print at the bottom suggests that one meal out of the package is to be enjoyed on Day 1 or Day 2 of the cruise.  And if the voyage is sailing full or close to full, will it be a fraught experience to find reservation times during those days?  The email:  

"One night of dining in Prime C or Aqualina must take place on night 1 or 2 of the voyage for dining packages."

1 hour ago, lisiamc said:

I never have any trouble getting a booking on the first night for Prime C or Aqualina. I think they like to do that for packages because those two nights are pretty quiet. 

And I can think of more than one cruise where we've been led to one of the Specialties and comped on the first night to save waiting in the MDR queue. I've never had an issue either. I won't be booking ahead. 

Phil 

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

And I can think of more than one cruise where we've been led to one of the Specialties and comped on the first night to save waiting in the MDR queue. I've never had an issue either. I won't be booking ahead. 

Phil 

Trouble is when they do that you end up eating with some right riff raff 😂😂

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, read2learn said:

I am trying to book dining package for my trip on Dec12th but cannot find a place to do it. Excursions no appear under Manage my Reservation. It says coming soon. I think a little Gremlin gets into their website just to frustrate us!

Call

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, read2learn said:

I am trying to book dining package for my trip on Dec12th but cannot find a place to do it. Excursions no appear under Manage my Reservation. It says coming soon. I think a little Gremlin gets into their website just to frustrate us!

Same, I received that email and considered booking it, but the link took me to the website with nowhere to make said booking and no sign of even any mention of the dining packages.  It's a strange way to run a business.   I'm certainly not going to phone them about it.  #notthatdesperate

52 minutes ago, lahore said:

Same, I received that email and considered booking it, but the link took me to the website with nowhere to make said booking and no sign of even any mention of the dining packages.  It's a strange way to run a business.   I'm certainly not going to phone them about it.  #notthatdesperate

When you’re in the booking go to Add ons, then choose available you should be able to scroll through all the available packages. In our bookings I can see all the Chefs Table options but as we’re in a suite no speciality restaurant packages.

44 minutes ago, mj_holiday said:

So now there is a way to book specialty restaurant reservations on line before you board?

I believe there is only the ability to book the packages themselves, not the actual dates. 

Edited by lisiamc
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Riocca said:

When you’re in the booking go to Add ons, then choose available you should be able to scroll through all the available packages. In our bookings I can see all the Chefs Table options but as we’re in a suite no speciality restaurant packages.

Thank you, I just managed to do that.  My FCC was showing in a large text box under Add ons and I didn't notice that you could click on 'add ons' as well.  Booked four speciality restaurants.  We don't usually pay in advance but I know we love the speciality restaurants on Azamara so....FOMO. 

You can pre-book, but must wait until aboard to make reservations.  Contrary what others told me, it isn't the breeze they suggested!  We were some of the first to board and were told the only place to book reservations was on Deck 10 at Aquilina. I dumped my bag in the suite and hustled up to Deck 10 where there was one couple in front of me.  I pulled up a chair and waited my turn and could sense other shipmates lining up behind me.  When I finished making the reservations and turned around to leave, the line extended out to the elevator. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Yes.  They must hold out some tables for this.

Not in my experience. The butler likes to make you think that (to look important) but they have no greater access to tables. Even in a suite you need to be flexible in the days and times you want 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, luv2travel90266 said:

It is a 1st come, 1st serve which makes late boarding a disadvantage. You are also competing for reservations made by B2B cruisers who stayed on from the previous cruise  as reservations can be made at the B2B meeting held the day before. 

There is often a lot of movement with the bookings and you can sometimes pick up a booking on the day. Last year on our 11 nighter in a Continental Suite we booked all 11 nights on embarkation, alternating between the two Speciality restaurants. By the time we left, we had cancelled 5 of those ( giving plenty of notice) and dined in a selection of Discoveries, Windows and Patio. We enjoyed the mixing of the other venues as the two Speciality restaurants can get a little repetitive.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, combine said:

We enjoyed the mixing of the other venues as the two Speciality restaurants can get a little repetitive.

Then why book every night upon boarding?  Takes slots away from others who then walk away from the reservation table frustrated and unhappy.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

Then why book every night upon boarding?  Takes slots away from others who then walk away from the reservation table frustrated and unhappy.

Because the  Discoveries Menus were not  available on the  TV screen prior to booking the Speciality  and the Patio evening we changed to  was weather dependent . 
My initial comment was to highlight  that people change plans for whatever reason so there may be choices of dates and times that become available during the cruise. 

Edited by combine

41 minutes ago, combine said:

Because the  Discoveries Menus were not  available on the  TV screen prior to booking the Speciality  and the Patio evening we changed to  was weather dependent . 
My initial comment was to highlight  that people change plans for whatever reason so there may be choices of dates and times that become available during the cruise. 

Postings like this may yet convince me there should be a limit on how many specialty restaurant reservations a stateroom can make, although my gut dislikes that idea.  If enough early reservers book every night 'just in case' to give themselves unfettered flexibility to choose later, this board will be inundated with justified complaints about access to the specialties.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

Postings like this may yet convince me there should be a limit on how many specialty restaurant reservations a stateroom can make, although my gut dislikes that idea.  If enough early reservers book every night 'just in case' to give themselves unfettered flexibility to choose later, this board will be inundated with justified complaints about access to the specialties.

Ok  this is my last  post on this particular subject, having tried at least to let people know that there may be availability to book tables throughout the cruise.

This was our first Continental Suite and as is widely publicised, the Speciality dining is complementary for the cabin for the whole cruise.  We had every intention of attending each evening, however a few excellent evening menus caught our attention in Discoveries and we cancelled and someone else picked up our  table.  We never set out to book ‘just in case’.

When and if Azamara change the parameters we will deal with it .

• Like 5

Viking guarantees everyone at least one reservation to their (included) specialty restaurant and their (included) chef’s table restaurant. Then, the higher your cabin category, the more reservations you can make. All before you board. Once on the ship, you can make as many reservations as are available.