More than one side or appetizer

excited balcony

In reading up on our reservation at Cagney's, it says that if the reservation is booked as part of the complimentary specialty dining package, you are allowed one entree and if you chose to order an additional one, you would pay the going rate for the second entree.  Does anyone know if the same is true for appetizers and side dishes?  Are we allowed one item for each course of the meal and then pay for any additional selections or is the additional cost only for more than one main entree?  

can of worms... opened.

Discussed here, A LOT.  Some have been allowed one from each menu section (4 courses) some have been restricted to one from either app or soup/salad section (3 courses).  If you want additional, yes you pay for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Sides are all you want from my experience. My wife and I usually order 3-4 sides without any pushback at all. I’m pretty sure the same is true with apps, but it’s already so much food that I’ve never been hungry enough to find out

Edited by TheDawg79
  • Like 3

Just now, TheDawg79 said:

but it’s already so much food that I’ve never been hungry enough to find out

This is true.  I can pack the food away usually and even I have a hard time finishing everything if I get all 4 courses.

• Like 3

On SDP, it's a 3-course meal. One appetizer (or soup or salad), one main dish (with 2 sides at Cagney's), and one dessert. Any is additional item is charged a la carte.

Some people may be able to get a 4-course meal -- one appetizer, soup or salad, one main dish (with unlimited sides at Cagney's), and one dessert. But this is not a norm.

If you set your expectation to a 3-course meal then you won't feel disappointed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dhanakorn said:

On SDP, it's a 3-course meal. One appetizer (or soup or salad), one main dish (with 2 sides at Cagney's), and one dessert. Any is additional item is charged a la carte.

Some people may be able to get a 4-course meal -- one appetizer, soup or salad, one main dish (with unlimited sides at Cagney's), and one dessert. But this is not a norm.

If you set your expectation to a 3-course meal then you won't feel disappointed.

Incorrect. 

Please read the terms and conditions for the package. 

It is a 4 course meal with an appetizer, soup/salad, entree, and dessert. Sides included where they are an additional charge. 

https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

• Like 4

I suggest that you talk with your waiter about what you would like to order.   If it is acceptable on the ship you are on you will get it.   If not either the waiter or an assistant Maître d' will explain why not.  OR the assistant Maître d' will overrule the waiter and let you have it.

We often will forego dessert for an extra appetizer or Soup/salad

In all my speciality dining the waiter has offered of we wanted anything outside the package to let him know and he will see to it (within reason) with the sides and appetisers. I’m never hungry on a cruise but an extra escargot or oysters is always nice to have. 

I understand that if I ask and it’s a no then that’s ok too. If you ask your waiter nicely they would do what they could to make it happen 

12 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Incorrect. 

It is a 4 course meal with an appetizer, soup/salad, entree, and dessert. Sides included where they are an additional charge. 

Interesting point.

I have read numerous posts on this board stating that they were restricted to 3 courses.

Seems odd.

2 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Interesting point.

I have read numerous posts on this board stating that they were restricted to 3 courses.

Seems odd.

Maybe read the terms and conditions. 

The post above is a clear example of someone providing incorrect information. So, don’t believe everything you read on the internet. While they sound very authoritative, they are wrong. 

There are other vouchers (not the Specialty Dining Package) which are technically three course meals. But in practice are always allowed four. 

9 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The post above is a clear example of someone providing incorrect information. So, don’t believe everything you read on the internet. While they sound very authoritative, they are wrong. 

There are other vouchers (not the Specialty Dining Package) which are technically three course meals. But in practice are always allowed four. 

I have read the T & C's. You are, of course, correct.

It may be those "other vouchers" that people have mentioned causing a bit of confusion..

1 hour ago, cruiser2015 said:

Interesting point.

Seems odd.

You may be thinking of the loyalty meal .  We are platinum and sapphire and that is what is included. Dining package is 4 coarse.

15 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

BirdTravels is right on, never had a problem getting a 4 course meal on our included meals with FAS package, or additional purchased meals.

9 hours ago, DominicAUS said:

I understand that if I ask and it’s a no then that’s ok too. If you ask your waiter nicely they would do what they could to make it happen 

On many occasions had waiters offer us an extra appetizer to share, or if its something very small, they bring an extra one.

2 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

Good advice I read on this subject was to use your platinum coupons for any fixed price or 4 item restaurants so you don't have to worry about 3 vs 4 courses 

The other benefit to this is when you pre-book if you book the fixed-price places first the system won't try to charge you to book the other meals.

20 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Incorrect. 

Good to know, I believed what I read so I only ordered 3 courses.

3 hours ago, hallux said:

The other benefit to this is when you pre-book if you book the fixed-price places first the system won't try to charge you to book the other meals.

Oh yeah.  I don't pre book, but I do know this tip

Regardless of what the terms and conditions say, in reality it all depends on the server you get, the restaurant manager, what day of the week it is, which ship you are on 😜…in other words, the only way to be sure is to ask (nicely, of course) before ordering.

• Haha 1

On 12/2/2023 at 8:15 AM, BirdTravels said:

BirdTravels,

Could you explain to me how the FAS, or the Latitudes dining voucher would work at the Sushi restaurant ? 

You explained to me before about using the FAS on a price fixed (Moderno) restaurant first and then using the reward vouchers at ala carte restaurants I believe...

I'm not certain how either of these options would work for ala carte sushi. 

Thanks in advance for anyone who is willing to explain this to me (preferably slowly) 🤣 

10 minutes ago, okpaddy said:

BirdTravels,

Could you explain to me how the FAS, or the Latitudes dining voucher would work at the Sushi restaurant ? 

You explained to me before about using the FAS on a price fixed (Moderno) restaurant first and then using the reward vouchers at ala carte restaurants I believe...

I'm not certain how either of these options would work for ala carte sushi. 

Thanks in advance for anyone who is willing to explain this to me (preferably slowly) 🤣 

you are able to order 4 items, per dining credit, from the menu.  I say per dining credit so if multiple people are dining, you each can order 4 items if you're each using a dining credit.  it's a little YMMV, but if two of you are eating, you may be able to order 4 items to share and just use one credit.

The terms and conditions do not mention the sides.  Anyone care to share their experience on ordering sides?  one, two, or more allowed?

Also the terms and conditions list Italian as one of the Specialty restaurants which could be La Cucina.  Anyone use the SDP there?  The menu is not organized into apps, soup, salads, entrees, deserts instead antipasta/suppa/insalate, pasta, pizza, secundo, and dolci.  The NCL website also states which seems to disagree with the T&C about sharing:

Definitely come to La Cucina with a hearty appetite. Our classic Italian dishes come in large portions, which are perfect for sharing.

Yes, can ask at the restaurant before ordering, put would like to know what people have recently experienced there?

Thanks.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Also the terms and conditions list Italian as one of the Specialty restaurants which could be La Cucina.  Anyone use the SDP there?  The menu is not organized into apps, soup, salads, entrees, deserts instead antipasta/suppa/insalate, pasta, pizza, secundo, and dolci.  

The first time we ate at La Cucina on the SDP our server informed us we could have one from antipasti/soup/salad, one pasta, one pizza or second course and a dessert.  With the lovely fresh bread it was a lot of food and we took our desserts to go.

Catherine