Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

On 2/17/2024 at 1:24 PM, Tatra603 said:

So my TA called RC (UK) today to bat for me.

She was baffled by the level of intransigence shown by both persons she spoke to.

TA: "My client has booked flight and hotel in Dubai. He would like to book the new cruise leaving on the 9th May and is surprised he hasn't been given that option"

RC: His options are to rebook another cruise or cancel for a full refund. There is no sailing on the 9th"

TA: "It's part of a world cruise. We know that it won't sail a quarter full. We know it will be remarketed. Why haven't the existing bookings been given the option of the new itinerary?"

RC: "Your client has no other option than to book another cruise or ask for a refund. There are no other options"

They went round and round in circles. RC supervisor stuck to the script. They recommended I booked an alternative cruise and wallow in the incredibly generous $100 OBC, as there is no cruise leaving Dubai on May 9th.

My TA was very professional, but could get nowhere. She said it's an awful way to treat loyal paying customers.

It was weird just how much they were trying to steer us away from the idea that there might still be a possibility of Dubai to Cape Town. Everything, including the seemingly pointless 11 day delay before voting, seems designed to dissuade us mini segmenters from holding out in the hope of getting our cruise (and stateroom) back.

I don't know how you can expect Royal to rebook you on a cruise that doesn't even yet exist. 

The priority should be given to the full WC guests, and allowing them to decide their voyage should take precedence to any mini segmenters.

Cruises get cancelled.. Sometimes a lot closer then the 2.5 months you've received. That's the nature of cruising and why travel insurance is a product.

Considering the fact that the base reason for all of this is active war and ongoing loss of life.... Your complaints about a cruise cancelation is particularly out of touch. 

Hopefully you can still get your stateroom. 

Edited by Twenty2020
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Twenty2020 said:

I don't know how you can expect Royal to rebook you on a cruise that doesn't even yet exist. 

The priority should be given to the full WC guests, and allowing them to decide their voyage should take precedence to any mini segmenters.

Cruises get cancelled.. Sometimes a lot closer then the 2.5 months you've received. That's the nature of cruising and why travel insurance is a product.

Considering the fact that the base reason for all of this is active war and ongoing loss of life.... Your complaints about a cruise cancelation is particularly out of touch. 

Hopefully you can still get your stateroom. 

I don't think you are understanding her issue. She knows cruises can get canceled.  She just like others think she should have still be given as one of her options to still board in Dubai like her cruise was scheduled to leave from and disembark in Cape Town for her same exact 18 night cruise and have her same cabin and price protected.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

It would definitely creep me out thinking I’m in the same bed that someone died in. I’m assuming she was in bed when it happened. If I ever book the Brilliance I’ll never book cabin #9062. Death, blood, no thanks.

Lol am I the only one that couldn't care less if I stayed in a cabin (and bed) where someone had died?

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Lol am I the only one that couldn't care less if I stayed in a cabin (and bed) where someone had died?

It wouldn't bother me either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

All cellphone pics on S23 

I think he's taking his big camera whale watching tomorrow 

I get the pics from his FB postings. I'll be out of commission late next week, so hopefully someone else on FB can grab them.

One of us should be able to take care of that.  Hoping all goes well, Laura!  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

All cellphone pics on S23 

I think he's taking his big camera whale watching tomorrow 

I get the pics from his FB postings. I'll be out of commission late next week, so hopefully someone else on FB can grab them.

Just bought my Wife the same Samsung Galaxy S23 phone last week. It does take beautiful pictures and she loves the phone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

1 hour ago, kernow said:

It wouldn't bother me either.

Who knows what happened in a particular cabin/hotel room.  If not for the WC hype, the sad death would never be common knowledge.  People pass away on cruises.  I'm sure lots of passengers have stayed in 9062 on Brilliance.  That is the cabin in which George Smith was allegedly murdered back in 2005.  

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Who knows what happened in a particular cabin/hotel room.  If not for the WC hype, the sad death would never be common knowledge.  People pass away on cruises.  I'm sure lots of passengers have stayed in 9062 on Brilliance.  That is the cabin in which George Smith was allegedly murdered back in 2005.  

M

That’s exactly why I posted that comment. It’s obvious that people wouldn’t know if someone has died or was murdered if people weren’t talking about it. As they say, ignorance is bliss, but once you know, then you know. It’s stuck in the brain. If you can push death out of your head like that then good for you.

@ringers0815 Love your photos. Keep them coming.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, time4u2go said:

I hadnt ever even thought about it. And having a cabin months later, when many many have stayed in the cabin since, idk.

And how about the condo I'm buying. I'm betting someone died is why it's being sold. But wouldnt know that until it was under contract. A trust turned out to own it, with 3 kids. So most likely someone died for this trust to be the owner. I know 3 kids because we said in the offer they were responsible for any previous hoa amounts, or some such box that we checked. Came back and my realtor said 2 kids said ok, the 3rd doesnt understand and refused to ok this standard clause. We checked and no money owed to hoa, no assessments so removed it. Would someone go to the bother to find out when and where their dad died and if it was at home before accepting a contract. 

My dad died at home. My sister and bil now live there. For me I agree that the house if filled with my parents and for me I didnt want to move in, so I can kinda see it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, doghog said:

Should have made it a Pinnacle Lounge. 

LOL...except not a happy place when we are having a lot of rain, wind, and they close the deck up there...which happened a lot.  😮  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

The title “thoughts, impressions and observations” fits this discussion, and it keeps it all in one place.

Thanks!  I came up with that title one night after a couple glasses of wine.  😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I hadnt ever even thought about it. And having a cabin months later, when many many have stayed in the cabin since, idk.

And how about the condo I'm buying. I'm betting someone died is why it's being sold. But wouldnt know that until it was under contract. A trust turned out to own it, with 3 kids. So most likely someone died for this trust to be the owner. I know 3 kids because we said in the offer they were responsible for any previous hoa amounts, or some such box that we checked. Came back and my realtor said 2 kids said ok, the 3rd doesnt understand and refused to ok this standard clause. We checked and no money owed to hoa, no assessments so removed it. Would someone go to the bother to find out when and where their dad died and if it was at home before accepting a contract. 

My dad died at home. My sister and bil now live there. For me I agree that the house if filled with my parents and for me I didnt want to move in, so I can kinda see it.

Jane, I didn't know you were buying another condo.  Where is this one ?  Do you still own the one you bought a few years back in Coco Beach ?

5 hours ago, time4u2go said:

I simply chose not to be in that cabin as personal choice....we are not all alike.  I am happy you would have enjoyed it. 

WC desk totally agreed with me.  They had no problem switching me out to another cabin just down the hall which they did within two hours after I emailed them.  

• Like 7

3 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

M

In my situation...I DO know.   I was on board when that Alpha call was made on the last day.  Verified it was the death later.   

If I had never known about it, I would not have changed cabins.  But since I did know about it, and WC cruise agreed with me, having no problem switching me to another cabin, (and actually was happy I did want to switch for some reason)...it is a done deal.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

That’s exactly why I posted that comment. It’s obvious that people wouldn’t know if someone has died or was murdered if people weren’t talking about it. As they say, ignorance is bliss, but once you know, then you know. It’s stuck in the brain. If you can push death out of your head like that then good for you.

@ringers0815 Love your photos. Keep them coming.

I knew about it because I was on board at the time it happened.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

Jane, I didn't know you were buying another condo.  Where is this one ?  Do you still own the one you bought a few years back in Coco Beach ?

Yes. I posted in the what are you doing now thread. And yes I still own the oceanfront. We can talk over there. Still buying near that port. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I don't think you are understanding her issue. She knows cruises can get canceled.  She just like others think she should have still be given as one of her options to still board in Dubai like her cruise was scheduled to leave from and disembark in Cape Town for her same exact 18 night cruise and have her same cabin and price protected.

Exactly this (apart from the wrong pronouns).

I don't know how anyone can misunderstand my (and many others) genuine disillusionment with the way RC has handled this, let alone conflate it with the sad situation in Gaza.

• Like 1

Just received this from RCI Executive Office:

Thank you so much for your email and please accept my apologies for the delay in getting back to you. My name is Kaitlyn; I work in the Executive Office of Royal Caribbean. I am pleased to respond on behalf of our executives.

I am sorry to hear that the cancelation of this sailing has negatively impacted your vacation plans. I understand how frustrating and disappointing this can be.

Many factors go into to deciding whether we offer any form of compensation or price matching when a sailing is canceled or redeployed. We also have to make certain we’re remaining consistent and fair to all guests equally impacted by these changes. At this time we are offering guests to cancel and to receive a full refund paid or rebook any sailing at the prevailing rate. If you are booked under a non- refundable rate, we are waiving change fees.

While we understand our guests frustrations with not having alternative options, we must remain firm in our decision to offer the option to fully refund or move to a different sailing at prevailing rates. I apologize for any disappointment this may cause.

Please know, for further information, I unfortunately need you to contact your Travel Agent that was assisting you with this reservation. Any financial information needs to be discussed with the agency as we are not able to discuss, per the privacy contracts between Royal Caribbean and the Travel Agencies associated with us.

Again, thank you for contacting us with your feedback.

• Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, Tatra603 said:

Just received this from RCI Executive Office:

Thank you so much for your email and please accept my apologies for the delay in getting back to you. My name is Kaitlyn; I work in the Executive Office of Royal Caribbean. I am pleased to respond on behalf of our executives.

I am sorry to hear that the cancelation of this sailing has negatively impacted your vacation plans. I understand how frustrating and disappointing this can be.

Many factors go into to deciding whether we offer any form of compensation or price matching when a sailing is canceled or redeployed. We also have to make certain we’re remaining consistent and fair to all guests equally impacted by these changes. At this time we are offering guests to cancel and to receive a full refund paid or rebook any sailing at the prevailing rate. If you are booked under a non- refundable rate, we are waiving change fees.

While we understand our guests frustrations with not having alternative options, we must remain firm in our decision to offer the option to fully refund or move to a different sailing at prevailing rates. I apologize for any disappointment this may cause.

Please know, for further information, I unfortunately need you to contact your Travel Agent that was assisting you with this reservation. Any financial information needs to be discussed with the agency as we are not able to discuss, per the privacy contracts between Royal Caribbean and the Travel Agencies associated with us.

Again, thank you for contacting us with your feedback.

Well that stinks.

• Like 4