Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

2 hours ago, island lady said:

I wish they would spray down the windows in there.  It's been crusted sticky salt spray for weeks now, making the sight blurred.  They were actually down below with the water spray on the deck over a week ago, but never pointed it up at the windows.  Yuck.  Same thing with the windows in Giovanni's.  

They have been that way since before we were on Serenade in November.

1 hour ago, pstone1 said:

Ditto!  This is the one I took from Chops trying to catch the double rainbow!  Hadn’t realized the windows are tinted either!

IMG_2021.jpeg

LOL...yeah, tinted with crusty old salt spray from the last 2 weeks.  😄 😄 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

It woke me up at 2:10, and although I was fine, bouncing over the “potholes” kept me up for a couple of hours!  😉

Didn't accidently roll out of bed...but had to secure a couple of wine glasses I had on the counter that I was afraid would launch out on their own.  😉   And yeah, tough to sleep for a couple of hours for me as well.  

Much calmer now while in the straits...but still a comfortable rock and roll going on.  Saw the "barf" bags on the staircases early this morning when I went up for coffee.  😳

• Like 2

Cruising by the more rounded hills/mountains  (AKA big chunks of rock) that may have been formed as lava bubbles?  Not sure.  Misty, hazy, spits of rain...but warmer at 50 degrees now.  

20240120_085140.jpg

20240120_085030.jpg

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, island lady said:

LOL...yeah, tinted with crusty old salt spray from the last 2 weeks.  😄 😄 

Maybe they are saving it up for a special meal in the weeks to come, Branzino incrostato di sale marino. 😉 (Branzino encrusted with sea salt)

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

4 hours ago, island lady said:

I wish they would spray down the windows in there.  It's been crusted sticky salt spray for weeks now, making the sight blurred.  They were actually down below with the water spray on the deck over a week ago, but never pointed it up at the windows.  Yuck.  Same thing with the windows in Giovanni's.  

Last year on Odyssey I walked out onto my balcony and the lady next door was actually cleaning her balcony plexiglass. She said she was tired of not being able to see through it. We both had a laugh over it.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

They have been that way since before we were on Serenade in November.

They were actually cleaned pretty well while the ship sat in Miami overnight, as we saw them doing so the morning we boarded.  And a lot of last minute painting going on at that time.  Wasn't bad until a couple of weeks ago.  Now it's just nasty.  

Perhaps they might do something in Valparaiso (TAD for mini leg 2-3).   

Edited by island lady

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

Maybe they are saving it up for a special meal in the weeks to come, Branzino incrostato di sale marino. 😉 (Branzino encrusted with sea salt)

LOL!!!   Mmmm...tasty!  Fresh sea salt with bugs...little Gnat bodies dried on the windows with it.   😑

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Last year on Odyssey I walked out onto my balcony and the lady next door was actually cleaning her balcony plexiglass. She said she was tired of not being able to see through it. We both had a laugh over it.

We do that all the time, plus the railing.  😉  I gave the double pane of glass (ones that don't open) a really good scrub.  Huge difference...since I love to watch the world go by inside to warm up.  😉 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I do that too, but that lady on the Odyssey wasn't me!😁

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, island lady said:

They were actually cleaned pretty well while the ship sat in Miami overnight, as we saw them doing so the morning we boarded. 

The problem is that they "wash" them with water, which only gets the surface stuff off. They need to be thoroughly cleaned and de-scaled with something that can get through all of that. Otherwise, they end up looking just as bad a day or two later as they did before they were washed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Jim has cleaned ours twice already!  It drives him nuts when it’s filthy!  There’s no point cleaning it today though, as we probably have more bumpy seas ahead!

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, orville99 said:

The problem is that they "wash" them with water, which only gets the surface stuff off. They need to be thoroughly cleaned and de-scaled with something that can get through all of that. Otherwise, they end up looking just as bad a day or two later as they did before they were washed.

Anything would help at this point.  A power spray of water, following by a long handled squeegee wipe down...but...that's just me.  Sooo...staring through natural salt tinted windows it is.  😉  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

Jim has cleaned ours twice already!  It drives him nuts when it’s filthy!  There’s no point cleaning it today though, as we probably have more bumpy seas ahead!

Yeah, I gave mine the real wash down yesterday, and rubbed vigorously with a clean fresh towel as I wanted clear clean windows to look out through when I was inside keeping warm during our  waterfall/glacier tour.  Helped a lot!!  By tomorrow I will probably do it again.  

Getting windy and colder.  Seems we are coming out into a larger area again with sea wind coming at us from the north on the open end channel.  Not sure if he will turn starboard and continue along the larger channel north....or follow it all the way back out to sea.  🤔  Kind of like a maze in here.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, island lady said:

Anything would help at this point.  A power spray of water, following by a long handled squeegee wipe down...but...that's just me.  Sooo...staring through natural salt tinted windows it is.  😉  

DW wets a bath towel and then I attach it to my cane with a few of her hair scrunchies and use that to get the outside of the balcony glass.😇

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, orville99 said:

DW wets a bath towel and then I attach it to my cane with a few of her hair scrunchies and use that to get the outside of the balcony glass.😇

LOL...I have totally given up on the short railing topped balcony glass, though I do clean that as best I can when it is warmer.  It's the double sliders I am washing down to see through from the inside.  We are not doing any sitting out on the cold, windy balcony at all...just running outside when I see something interesting from inside.  😉  Cleaned yesterday, will need it again by tomorrow or the next day. Cabin attendant does what he can, but not up to my standards for clean windows.  😄  

Ah well...gives me something to do on a sea day other than laundry...which I need to do again as well.  😮 

20240120_124754.jpg

Edited by island lady
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, island lady said:

Yeah, I gave mine the real wash down yesterday, and rubbed vigorously with a clean fresh towel as I wanted clear clean windows to look out through when I was inside keeping warm during our  waterfall/glacier tour.  Helped a lot!!  By tomorrow I will probably do it again.  

Getting windy and colder.  Seems we are coming out into a larger area again with sea wind coming at us from the north on the open end channel.  Not sure if he will turn starboard and continue along the larger channel north....or follow it all the way back out to sea.  🤔  Kind of like a maze in here.  

We’re sitting here right now trying to figure out the plan!  Wind has definitely picked up!

17 minutes ago, island lady said:

Hmmm!  That’s a great idea!  I think we’re going to get one of those short plastic shower squeegees and just keep it in our cruise bag!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

We’re sitting here right now trying to figure out the plan!  Wind has definitely picked up!

Definitely turning north up the channel now...went from course reading 277 to 314 in just the last few minutes.  

Question is...will he head out to sea at the end of the land mass to our west?  Mmmmm...the suspense is killing me.  😄 😄  

Edited by island lady
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

Hmmm!  That’s a great idea!  I think we’re going to get one of those short plastic shower squeegees and just keep it in our cruise bag!

LOL...yup, along with all the other new ideas of what to bring the next time.  I think I need another suitcase.  😄 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, island lady said:

Definitely turning north up the channel now...went from course reading 277 to 314 in just the last few minutes.  

Question is...will he head out to sea at the end of the land mass to our west?  Mmmmm...the suspense is killing me.  😄 😄  

Jim found a Ferry Route that Capt Stig might follow.  It would keep us inside until just south of Puerto Montt.  Yes, suspense!  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, island lady said:

Seems to me like Stig has been a bit lost since his navigation officer has not posted here in a few days.

• Haha 16

36 minutes ago, orville99 said:

A very resourceful bunch here on CC.😄

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

Jim found a Ferry Route that Capt Stig might follow.  It would keep us inside until just south of Puerto Montt.  Yes, suspense!  😉

Agree.  Fun to follow up on, and guess on the routes.   I totally agree with Jim...I think this is what he is looking at?  Seems like a very interesting route...with hopefully less rock and roll and more to see on both port and starboard side.  🥰

Expand out on this link to see the channel...which is interestingly almost due north...how convenient!  😉 

https://www.cruisemapper.com/?imo=9228344

Edited by island lady
  • Thanks 1