POT smoking on balcony?

On 12/4/2023 at 5:39 PM, APDMOM said:

Interestingly, Carnival just recently banned a woman for life from their cruise lines for trying to bring CBD gummies onboard…

I was about to mention this. Not even THC, just CBD. Seems pretty extreme. And to the commenter who suggested edibles over joints/vapes, this example is why people don't bring edibles on board. I have a family member with a medical card for migraines, but she will take her chances on a cruise because it's just not worth being denied boarding. The Carnival example APDMOM sites did NOT get her money refunded either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

We usually do our morning walks on the outer Promenade deck, 5 I believe it is.  Have not been on Serenade for awhile, though we will be on for a bit on Sunday.  😉   Is it still set up as smoking on that outer deck on one side?  I always had a tough time walking past the line of smokers down there.  But indeed, I have had the hump balconies before and seem to catch the smell coming up from there.  

I can see where the pot heads will try to light up there as well, hoping no one knows the difference between regular cigarettes and skunk weed.  😉 

We have not walked the promenade deck yet because we were so wiped out from the drive that included 28 extra minutes of wrong turns in the middle of Miami. This is the last Miami embarkation on our cruise list and we intend to keep it that way. We are at Coco Cay today, then two sea days, so we will be on that deck soon for sure. 

The weed smell was not mixed with anything else. Both of us lost spouses due to lung cancer from smoking, so we definitely are sensitive to cigarette smoke. If I had to choose between the two, I think I would rather smell weed. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I’ve only had to go to GS twice for smoking on the balcony. 

once when the neighbors were openly smoking on the balcony, and when I said it’s not allowed, they said so what…..so I took their pictures and went right down to GS. I heard a knock on their door a few minutes later. Problem solved.

Another time neighbors were smoking all the time on the balcony and were so comfortable they just left their ashtray on the table with the butts in it.  I took a picture to GS and soon after I heard a knock on their door.  They denied it was their ashtray, and said the room attendant must have put it there.  Problem solved

The reason I go to GS about this is I don’t want the ship to catch on fire. 

Perfectly done!  Thanks!  🥰

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

We have not walked the promenade deck yet because we were so wiped out from the drive that included 28 extra minutes of wrong turns in the middle of Miami. This is the last Miami embarkation on our cruise list and we intend to keep it that way. We are at Coco Cay today, then two sea days, so we will be on that deck soon for sure. 

The weed smell was not mixed with anything else. Both of us lost spouses due to lung cancer from smoking, so we definitely are sensitive to cigarette smoke. If I had to choose between the two, I think I would rather smell weed. 

Yup, totally agree...on all counts.   

And Miami traffic is the reason we will never drive to Miami for a cruise.  We are flying in from Orlando (though just a one hour flight) since we would not leave our vehicle there, as we are coming back from LA, and would never leave it there for over 2 months anyway.  

We will leave the traffic negotiation to our taxi driver.  😉 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Agree. Plus second hand high works for me. 😂 Just kidding, couldn't resist.

Edited by doghog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I’ve only had to go to GS twice for smoking on the balcony. 

once when the neighbors were openly smoking on the balcony, and when I said it’s not allowed, they said so what…..so I took their pictures and went right down to GS. I heard a knock on their door a few minutes later. Problem solved.

Another time neighbors were smoking all the time on the balcony and were so comfortable they just left their ashtray on the table with the butts in it.  I took a picture to GS and soon after I heard a knock on their door.  They denied it was their ashtray, and said the room attendant must have put it there.  Problem solved

And that sort of people is even MORE likely to light the ship on fire than your average smoker.  

On 12/4/2023 at 9:51 PM, schooner_Drinker said:

Carnival cracked down on it with the dogs and fines and banning and booting people for even having edibles 

And made it more apparent people would be fined and booted 

Guess where those PAX are cruising

now 

The word is out it is easy to get away with it on Royal, if Royal stops following their own policies and allowing pot use and vaping anywhere on the ship 

The slope becomes a little slippy 😉

Nancy

Agreed.   This is well known Carnival is cracking down so that group is switching to other lines.    Personally I could careless if they allow edibles.    Its that awful smoke smell that gets me.    I did also smell cigarette smell assuming it's from the same balcony.   

6 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

All this talk about skunk weed makes me extra glad for our promenade view rooms.   I'd be ticked if I'd paid for a balcony I couldn't use.   

It's always a concern (no matter what is being smoked. I show no prejudice. I will rat all balcony smokers out) when we book, but we still prefer ocean view balcony cabins. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

All this talk about skunk weed makes me extra glad for our promenade view rooms.   I'd be ticked if I'd paid for a balcony I couldn't use.   

One of these days we'll try one of those out.  We're happy sailing interior or Balcony.  Balcony really isn't that big of an upgrade to us.  I know, I know but we like the outdoor spaces around the ship rather than sitting alone on our balcony.  I do like being able to quickly and easily look out at port in the morning.

1 hour ago, The Fun Researcher said:

One of these days we'll try one of those out.  We're happy sailing interior or Balcony.  Balcony really isn't that big of an upgrade to us.  I know, I know but we like the outdoor spaces around the ship rather than sitting alone on our balcony.  I do like being able to quickly and easily look out at port in the morning.

In our case, the promenade rooms were cheaper than interior.  I was booking for two adults and two teenagers and trying to get as cheap of a room as possible.   One 4-person interior was more expensive than two 2-person promenade rooms.  So, no brainer to go with the cheaper option that also had two bathrooms. .   

I really want to stay away from smoke.  

• Like 1

On 12/6/2023 at 9:13 AM, lovesthebeach2 said:

If they're going to blatantly break the rules, they should at least own it.  SMH at the stupid defenses people use.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, doghog said:

IMO, the first time a smoker is busted for smoking on their balcony, they need to be kicked off the ship.  They along with everyone else has had plenty of written/published warnings. 

Or a hefty fine may do it too.. and not just a threat of a fine, but actually follow through.

The problem is if Royal doesnt enforce their rules, no one pays attention to them since they know there’s no repercussions.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Or a hefty fine may do it too.. and not just a threat of a fine, but actually follow through.

The problem is if Royal doesnt enforce their rules, no one pays attention to them since they know there’s no repercussions.

I agree. Or even better a fine and booted off the ship. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

We are booked on explore in March on a promenade view thought about upgrading, after this past on Oasis balcony sailing no thank you.  

• Like 1

On 12/6/2023 at 9:45 AM, printingchick said:

I was about to mention this. Not even THC, just CBD. Seems pretty extreme. And to the commenter who suggested edibles over joints/vapes, this example is why people don't bring edibles on board. I have a family member with a medical card for migraines, but she will take her chances on a cruise because it's just not worth being denied boarding. The Carnival example APDMOM sites did NOT get her money refunded either.

It is harsh, especially if sailing from a state where even recreational use is legal. And don’t get me going on the ignorance the cruise lines have over CBD.  I don’t see why it can’t be treated like any other contraband that is confiscated from a passenger without the unnecessary drama of arrest and banning. It’s a legal prescription drug in many states. Time to get over it and move on already. 

• Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 8:02 AM, BND said:

You better believed I'd "snitch".  I have no tolerance for those that infringe on others by breaking rules/laws.   

I’m impressed….where do you find the time to report all those people speeding on the highway? 😉

41 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

It is harsh, especially if sailing from a state where even recreational use is legal. And don’t get me going on the ignorance the cruise lines have over CBD.  I don’t see why it can’t be treated like any other contraband that is confiscated from a passenger without the unnecessary drama of arrest and banning. It’s a legal prescription drug in many states. Time to get over it and move on already. 

I totally agree , but as stupid as I think the law is and also law of many of the ports  we visit if you decide to take something illegal you are at risk. Hopefully we will make most of the stuff legal soon . 

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

Being legal in your state has nothing to do with it. Stay in your state where you have the prescription. If you get caught with it in the airport on the way to the cruise what happens? Arrest and banning for life is getting off lightly. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Morecruisesplz said:

Being legal in your state has nothing to do with it. Stay in your state where you have the prescription. If you get caught with it in the airport on the way to the cruise what happens? Arrest and banning for life is getting off lightly. 

I don’t personally have a prescription, and I wasn’t talking about the state where the patient lives. I said if it is legal in the state where the ship is sailing from. Sorry I wasn’t clear enough.

ETA: For example, ships sailing from NY and California.

Edited by vjmatty
ETA

Just now, vjmatty said:

I don’t personally have a prescription, and I wasn’t talking about the state where the patient lives. I said if it is legal in the state where the ship is sailing from. Sorry I wasn’t clear enough. 

Problem is that often it isn't legal at the ports the ship visits.  It's often illegal under US federal law.  Could be a problem when flying.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Problem is that often it isn't legal at the ports the ship visits.  It's often illegal under US federal law.  Could be a problem when flying.

The post was I responding to was about CBD gummies which are not illegal, just cruise line policy. No reason to do any more than confiscate. Banning and arrest are over the top. 

• Like 1