Just a Question: Would you support "no cell phone" areas on Ships?

Bluewake

Been sailing since 2012 and can't remember when someone on their phone has bothered me.

Sure it can happen, but I can tell you this, there is no way that a major cruise line is going to start blocking cell phone usage... either calls, texting, surfing, etc...  if anything they are racing to see who can provide the most access.

The problem isn't cell phone access, it's rude and oblivious people.  Rude and oblivious people exist everywhere.  

• Like 4

20 hours ago, CruiseRQA said:

You're on a cruise ship and your husband is thousands of miles away.   There is no emergency that he can you can help him with.  

Well I can usually talk my wife through how to push the right buttons to get the remote to turn on the cable box again. Not saying this has ever happen a few times.......

🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

People who are respectful and have common sense don't need such a policy, and those who aren't won't follow the policy anyway, and the staff won't want to intervene any more than they do with the chair hogs issue, as someone else mentioned. I'm just going to try to go to my Happy Place in my own mind when I come across this stuff and try not to let it get me worked up. I'm going on a Christmas cruise so I fully expect every Tom, Dick and Harry to be loudly facetiming all their relatives to send their holiday greetings. "At least I'm not at work. At least I'm not at work. At least I'm not at work." will be my mantra.

• Like 5

On 12/5/2023 at 1:28 PM, Travelling2Some said:

Totally agree with the OP.  Seems like all you have to do is find someplace quiet to read and, invariably, some loudmouth or noisy group will sit down next to you.  I would love to see a designated "Quiet Area" like they do for smokers.

Me too me too !!!

I’m always that one that people who want to crank the music seem to gravitate too…

Even on deck 17 on Reflections and only 6 people are enjoying the sun and peace and quiet….

the entire deck…..and guess where the man had to pull his chair…

right behind me and hubby…..

Really ?

lol

• Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 11:58 AM, Bluewake said:

In four days, we encountered 6-7 situations in which we found a quiet place to relax but, within a few minutes, someone a few chairs away was on their cell phone engaging in one or more of three behaviors:  (1) talking very loudly...really loudly;  (2) using the speaker on the cell phone to hear the other party...many such exchanges seemed to involved "facetiming"; (3) watching videos on their phone with the speaker at max setting. 

What was the estimated age of these people? As far as I'm concerned, my mobile phone is a personal device, with emphasis on personal. It's amazing what communications and entertainment functionality has been combined in a single device, yet, some of the audiobooks that I listen to (because they are dealing with true crime) can leave a wrong impression because the section of audio was taken out of context. 

Yet, I have tried, without success, to get my 82yo mother to use a Bluetooth headset when out and about. Same person who says that "I need to have more consideration of others" even though I wear  headset myself. She isn't hesitant to pull the headset away from my ear to tell me something. 

I would not support a total ban on electronic devices.  I would support a shipboard policy, enforced by the crew, where making calls or playing music was not permitted in public areas. 

If someone was having a loud conversation and disrupting my enjoyment, I would not be above saying something to them.  Often times they just do not realize they are bothering someone and will take appropriate actions if something is said. 

I highly support the individual who said if they were having a conversation on a speaker phone they would simply walk over and join it.  If the party said anything, I would retort that since they were in a public place and on a speaker phone they were inviting others to join. 

Bottom line - common courtesy goes a long way but I find there is always that 10% that seemed to missed the message. There is not need to punish the other 90% of those that would conduct such activities in the privacy of our own staterooms. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Bottom line - common courtesy goes a long way but I find there is always that 10% that seemed to missed the message. There is not need to punish the other 90% of those that would conduct such activities in the privacy of our own staterooms. 

Well said, reading this thread seems to verify your numbers. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

7 hours ago, brockmom said:

Me too me too !!!

I’m always that one that people who want to crank the music seem to gravitate too…

Even on deck 17 on Reflections and only 6 people are enjoying the sun and peace and quiet….

Really ?

lol

DH and I are the ones this same  individual gravitates to, after upsetting you!!  And DH has to restrain me from getting in this loser's face.  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sitting in Cafe al Bacio this morning on Edge, I felt like I was in a call center. Loud speaker phone conversations going on all around me including one that had screaming kids on the other end. I drank my coffee quickly and left. What is wrong with people that they think everyone else wants to hear their business?

• Like 5

18 hours ago, brockmom said:

Me too me too !!!

Really ?

lol

Ditto,

Same goes for movie theaters. DH thought I was exaggerating when we first met until he witnessed it firsthand several times🤣

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, timtam2 said:

Sitting in Cafe al Bacio this morning on Edge, I felt like I was in a call center. Loud speaker phone conversations going on all around me including one that had screaming kids on the other end. I drank my coffee quickly and left. What is wrong with people that they think everyone else wants to hear their business?

I think these folks are so into their paradigm that they do not notice that anyone else is near/beside them.  They are the same folks who fly through a school zone when the flashing lights are going, or past a stopped school bus with red flashing lights and stop sign extended or nonchalantly driving through a red light.  Not sure how to resolve the problem.

On 12/6/2023 at 10:00 AM, PTC DAWG said:

But that didn't mention any type of ban.  

BTW, Amelia Island is one of my favorite areas...beautiful. 

What I meant to say is:

1.  I don't support a ban.  It is unnecessary and wouldn't be enforced.

2.  A friendly, printed reminder requesting guests to restrict their phone usage to their cabins, or a reminder to guests to exercise proper phone decorum is all that is needed.

Amelia Island does have its charm and it is vibrant all year long, unlike St. Simons Island where it is active from Memorial Weekend to Labor Day and, with exception of the Georgia/Florida weekend, then

turns into a ghost town

On 12/5/2023 at 11:58 AM, Bluewake said:

At the risk of sounding petty...

We just returned from a short Celebrity cruise that was wonderful in most ways other than one exception.  In four days, we encountered 6-7 situations in which we found a quiet place to relax but, within a few minutes, someone a few chairs away was on their cell phone engaging in one or more of three behaviors:  (1) talking very loudly...really loudly;  (2) using the speaker on the cell phone to hear the other party...many such exchanges seemed to involved "facetiming"; (3) watching videos on their phone with the speaker at max setting.  These were not emergencies in any way.  I know that because the entire conversation from both parties was clearly audible to everyone within a 10-20 foot radius.  And, at no time, did the party on the ship seem to be concerned that they might be bothering anyone. 

It's hard to believe we are the only cruisers who find this somewhat disturbing but I have to acknowledge the possibility that others simply aren't bothered by it.  If so, it's my problem.   However, it got me thinking.  If cruise lines can have smoking and non-smoking areas, why not have certain areas where cell phone conversations are not permitted and videos/music can only be watched with earphones?   Of course, nobody cares if someone is texting...it's the noise polution that is the issue for some of us.

So...am I being a curmudgeon and unreasonable?

We need quiet zones, asking that devices be used on silent or vibrate or with head phones. They  could be labeled as such in the cruise planner as well as outside and inside the venue.

Apple has caused this problem to become more widespread because they took away the standard headphone jack a few years ago and then in 2020 stopped providing a pair of headphones with new phones.  I never really use headphones at all until I go on vacation and usually end up doing without on the plane because I inevitably forget the pair I finally bought.  So, my theory is that a lot of people simply don't have headphones that will work with their devices.  Doesn't excuse the obliviousness, but I think it helps explain why it's more noticeable in the past few years.  This is also why you now are hearing that announcement on planes that they didn't have to make before.

10 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Apple has caused this problem to become more widespread because they took away the standard headphone jack a few years ago and then in 2020 stopped providing a pair of headphones with new phones.  I never really use headphones at all until I go on vacation and usually end up doing without on the plane because I inevitably forget the pair I finally bought.  So, my theory is that a lot of people simply don't have headphones that will work with their devices.  Doesn't excuse the obliviousness, but I think it helps explain why it's more noticeable in the past few years.  This is also why you now are hearing that announcement on planes that they didn't have to make before.

Wireless/bluetooth headphones can be purchased for very little money…adapters for wired headphones are even cheaper…

But you still have to buy them and then remember to take them with you.  Again, they never used to have to tell people on flights to be sure and use headphones.  And in the past they could give people a cheap pair with the standard jack, but that is no longer an option if someone is using a proprietary jack.  If you forget the headphones or the adapter, you're now SOL until you can get to some place that sells them.

• Like 1

Then there is the ‘enforcement” of such a policy...like chair hogs and the rest, some great ideas, but...

Sad, but these types of things are everywhere.  Choose your battles carefully, but sometimes you just have to do or say something, as rudeness means different things to different people nowadays; unfortunately, it is becoming more normalized(maybe not a good choice of word.)

Edited by Lastdance

5 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

Apple has caused this problem to become more widespread because they took away the standard headphone jack a few years ago and then in 2020 stopped providing a pair of headphones with new phones.

Bluetooth headsets and earbuds aren't that expensive, contrary to what the iFruit company wants you to believe. I have a set of TOZO A1 Mini Wireless Earbuds that cost just $20 that work great, and I carry around in my pocket. A noise cancelling version is just $40. While there are more expensive (and better) models out there, I just won't feel silly if they get "misplaced". You just have to go through the effort of "pairing" the headsets to your mobile device. For these headsets, it's just a matter of taking them out of the case which places them in pairing mode, then selecting them in the Bluetooth Add Device menu. 

5 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

But you still have to buy them and then remember to take them with you.  Again, they never used to have to tell people on flights to be sure and use headphones.  And in the past they could give people a cheap pair with the standard jack, but that is no longer an option if someone is using a proprietary jack.  If you forget the headphones or the adapter, you're now SOL until you can get to some place that sells them.

You'd also be SOL if you forgot your passport.  If one is routinely forgetting their headphones, they should consider buying a carrying headphone case.  Leave them in your suitcase and when it comes time to pack, put them on top of your passport.  Some random examples of sub $10 cases

If you have lots of cables for various devices

image.thumb.png.a7253c3ca4c92e50ca42f7c0f6950df3.png

For headphones only

image.thumb.png.78b6685ce62d3f961968458e097f87bb.png

• Like 1

I carry around two phones all week. Personal and work. I get on the ship put phone in safe and don't turn it back in till we’re back at the dock. Today everyone has to be walking around like zombies, starting at their phone all trip.

Yes there are the few that have a sick one back home etc and need to stay in touch.

How many just want to vent about a poor meal. An excursion they didn't like and a chair hog they're witnessing in real time, as if we’re sitting back home with bated breath WGAS?

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Wakepatrol said:

I carry around two phones all week. Personal and work. I get on the ship put phone in safe and don't turn it back in till we’re back at the dock. Today everyone has to be walking around like zombies, starting at their phone all trip.

Yes there are the few that have a sick one back home etc and need to stay in touch.

How many just want to vent about a poor meal. An excursion they didn't like and a chair hog they're witnessing in real time, as if we’re sitting back home with bated breath WGAS?

Times have changed as we now have Starlink.  Those who routinely interact with their friends and family via smartphones want to continue to do so while cruising.  Perhaps only a handful of people are complaining about their meal