Is The Chair Hogging Dilemma Unsolvable?

harryw

10 minutes ago, clo said:

That's really shocking re the end of the row. I wonder if they do that on-shore at theaters, movies,etc.

We don’t comply but as politely as we can.🙂🩴🛟

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 10:12 AM, Harters said:

Maybe the solution is to adopt a version of procedures operated by many Spanish tourist hotels during the more relaxed parts of the pandemic. Due to distancing regulations, they were not allowed to have as many loungers  out as usual. Solution was to require folk to  to make a daily lounger reservation for a time period of maybe three hours. Comments on the Tripadvisor forum I follow indicated it worked.

I would hate that!  My goal in vacationing is to relax and be free from schedules that dominate daily life. I don't like fixed dining times and I sure wouldn't like to have scheduled sunbed times.  Just goes to show that no solution will please everyone😁

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mnocket said:

Just goes to show that no solution will please everyone

I don't think that the Spanish hotels' policy particularly pleased anyone. But it did solve the problem they faced, which is why so many businesses adopted it. . 

As that wouldnt suit you, may I ask what practical solution you think would work for you? You see, I also go on holiday to relax and I certainly don't find it relaxing to be not able to get a sun bed because a hog has staked a claim. 

Edited by Harters
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Harters said:

I don't think that the Spanish hotels' policy particularly pleased anyone. But it did solve the problem they faced, which is why so many businesses adopted it. . 

As that wouldnt suit you, may I ask what practical solution you think would work for you? You see, I also go on holiday to relax and I certainly don't find it relaxing to be not able to get a sun bed because a hog has staked a claim. 

The solution is actually quite simple.  The resorts and cruise ships simply need enough loungers for everyone!  We have been on plenty of ships that has enough loungers (although folks may not find an empty one where they prefer).  When we saw the Vista (from our balcony on the Sky Princess (which was docked next to the Vista) we were shocked at how few deck loungers/chairs we saw on the vessel.  We posted this on CC, and plenty of O fans assured us we were wrong and there were plenty of loungers.  Really?

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The solution is actually quite simple.  The resorts and cruise ships simply need enough loungers for everyone!  We have been on plenty of ships that has enough loungers (although folks may not find an empty one where they prefer).  When we saw the Vista (from our balcony on the Sky Princess (which was docked next to the Vista) we were shocked at how few deck loungers/chairs we saw on the vessel.  We posted this on CC, and plenty of O fans assured us we were wrong and there were plenty of loungers.  Really?

Hank

You are right.  Hard to find a chaise on pool deck in shade any day. Those big beds eat up too much space.  This is the first time that I ever went to reception and complained on a port day.  The deck has several small separated areas which hold a few chaises or chairs. The partitions might look interesting, but they eat up deck space. Poorly designed use of space. The GDR is also partitioned into small spaces.  There it works. Not on pool deck.  

• Thanks 2

There are plenty of loungers scattered around the ship on several decks - people who only want to sit by the pool in the shade then there is a problem.  How do you have 1200 loungers in the shade around the pool on a ship the size of VISTA?  This is the only way a cruise line can assure that everyone who wants a lounger in the shade around the pool will find one.  We sat in loungers in the shade with no problem anytime we wanted but we were not by the pool which was fine with us.  This is a separate issue then chair hogs...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, basor said:

There are plenty of loungers scattered around the ship on several decks - people who only want to sit by the pool in the shade then there is a problem.  How do you have 1200 loungers in the shade around the pool on a ship the size of VISTA?  This is the only way a cruise line can assure that everyone who wants a lounger in the shade around the pool will find one.  We sat in loungers in the shade with no problem anytime we wanted but we were not by the pool which was fine with us.  This is a separate issue then chair hogs...

Excellent info thank you

21 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Vista has real problems. Those big beds take too much space. Not enough shade.  Last Vista cruise had many chair hogs even on port days.  Sat on my own veranda more than I liked.

I’ve never experienced the chair “reserving” as I have on Vista— too many specialty seatings that don’t occupy more than a couple— the area around the pool seems smaller.  Daily announcements to be considerate of other guests — deaf ears?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BarbaraM said:

I’ve never experienced the chair “reserving” as I have on Vista— too many specialty seatings that don’t occupy more than a couple— the area around the pool seems smaller.  Daily announcements to be considerate of other guests — deaf ears?

Barbara - our favorite loungers were outside the side doors into Barristas....in shade or sun, quick run inside to grad a bite to eat or drink from Barristas, bathrooms close and down the stars for Waves or Aquamar.  But we don't need to be by the pool so doesn't work for everyone

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ORV said:

Lots of loungers on embarkation day today on Marina. 

😂😂. It’s barely after 11:00! Maybe the plan should be to line up for Boardamania starting at 08:00 to get that Lounger you want! 😎

38 minutes ago, basor said:

Barbara - our favorite loungers were outside the side doors into Barristas....in shade or sun, quick run inside to grad a bite to eat or drink from Barristas, bathrooms close and down the stars for Waves or Aquamar.  But we don't need to be by the pool so doesn't work for everyone

Shhh, now a rush on those coveted spots! 🤣 Some folks like to see and be seen. My husband admits he enjoys the pool "show". I do too, for that matter, but perfectly happy to find one of your 'out of the way' locations rather than stress about finding a pool chair.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, harryw said:

It didn’t occur to me that some poolsiders want to be seen  on O. I assumed 

that sophisticated O passengers weren’t that vain. 

Hard to tell if your comment's dripping with sarcasm; and dispensing with the old chestnut about 'assuming' anything, please assume again. 😜

On 1/20/2024 at 10:34 AM, Harters said:

may I ask what practical solution you think would work for you?

I don't know if it is practical for mass market cruise lines, but I posted my thoughts previously in this thread, starting with post #108 and expanded upon in follow-up replies.

Basically, I believe whenever a situation exists where demand significantly exceeds supply, the inevitable result is hoarding.  Unless cruise ship pool decks can be redesigned to provide adequate lounges (adequate being in sufficient number that people don't have anxiety over finding an available lounge), then people will tend to hoard (i.e. "reserve") lounges.  So, in the case of mass marked lines, the chair hogging dilemma may indeed be unsolvable🤔 

I have read one post some time ago claiming a situation where notices were placed on unoccupied lounges with a timestamp warning that unattended items will be removed after a set time has passed.  I initially thought this was a good solution, but having thought about it more I could see a number of problems arising.  Since I haven't seen another post since reporting such a policy, I'm guessing it hasn't proved to be an acceptable solution. 

1 minute ago, mnocket said:

I don't know if it is practical for mass market cruise lines, but I posted my thoughts previously in this thread, starting with post #108 and expanded upon in follow-up replies.

Basically, I believe whenever a situation exists where demand significantly exceeds supply, the inevitable result is hoarding.  Unless cruise ship pool decks can be redesigned to provide adequate lounges (adequate being in sufficient number that people don't have anxiety over finding an available lounge), then people will tend to hoard (i.e. "reserve") lounges.  So, in the case of mass marked lines, the chair hogging dilemma may indeed be unsolvable🤔 

I have read one post some time ago claiming a situation where notices were placed on unoccupied lounges with a timestamp warning that unattended items will be removed after a set time has passed.  I initially thought this was a good solution, but having thought about it more I could see a number of problems arising.  Since I haven't seen another post since reporting such a policy, I'm guessing it hasn't proved to be an acceptable solution. 

From what I understand, Oceania was sued for "missing items" when items were removed from an unoccupied lounger ....I am sure their legal team had told them to not touch any item that does not belong to Oceania.  I can't blame them

1 hour ago, harryw said:

It didn’t occur to me that some poolsiders want to be seen  on O. I assumed 

that sophisticated O passengers weren’t that vain. 

Well sometimes it’s not for all the right reasons. Not sure they want to be seen, but some times you can’t unsee it. 

15 minutes ago, basor said:

From what I understand, Oceania was sued for "missing items" when items were removed from an unoccupied lounger ....I am sure their legal team had told them to not touch any item that does not belong to Oceania.  I can't blame them

Yeah, that was one of potential problems I thought about.  Another was imagining a crowd of people gathered around empty lounges as the time ticked down.  Kind of like musical chairs on a pool deck😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/20/2024 at 9:34 AM, Harters said:

I certainly don't find it relaxing to be not able to get a sun bed because a hog has staked a claim. 

Whereas I loathe the sun (sand also) so I could give my allotment to anyone else.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2024 at 5:28 PM, clo said:

Whereas I loathe the sun (sand also) so I could give my allotment to anyone else.

On Vista now. At 930am CD announced to please not reseve loungers unless intended for use. At 1000am there were many unused and unreserved loungers both in sun and shade near pool

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Waltershipman said:

On Vista now. At 930am CD announced to please not reseve loungers unless intended for use. At 1000am there were many unused and unreserved loungers both in sun and shade near pool

Looks like a simple solution to an annoying problem.

• Like 4