Is The Chair Hogging Dilemma Unsolvable?

harryw

Last January 20 day cruise on Riviera.  First sea day come down at 7:15 am take 2 lounges middle row.By 7:30 plenty of lounges. An elderly man dressed in O bathrobe places items on lounge next me in middle row then places items on front row lounges in sun in front of the lounges in the shade and leaves.

About an hour later him and his wife come to lounges and keep switching from sun to shade on the 4 lounges.

Next day same routine. 

Third day I see him coming to lounges I immediately place items on the 4 lounges. He comes by see there taken and looks for other lounge around pool.

I see him leave  pool and immidatly remove items from the 4 lounges 

Edited by Acrusa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

21 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Enforce chair use, enforce dress codes, enforce, enforce, enforce.  I'm pretty sure cruise lines have given up on confronting pigheaded, selfish, entitled cruisers who are not at all disposed to following the simplest of rules, policies or 'suggestions' if they don't suit them.

No fun for the cruise lines to confront the entitled, yes true, but someone’s dress doesn’t really affect me — however, if I can’t find a place to sit it does affect me.  Perhaps there should be a larger seating area around the pools in general.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, true45 said:

Perhaps there should be a larger seating area around the pools in general.

There are loungers everywhere  with a small path to walk to the other side of the deck 

where would they put more loungers?

Maybe they should just  enforce their  chair saving  rules  maybe have one big burly crew member  patrol the  loungers  I not sure anyone would confront  him if he moved their belonging after 45 mins of absence

We have seen people put books & the breakfast smoothie  next to the lounger then go off the ship for the day ..we returned to area in the afternoon both still there  ..the pax returned at 4pm  to sit in the loungers

Next day same thing  on a sea day

asked the deck crew to remove the items after  2 hrs  after we searched for  a lounger 

Pax  returned 2 hrs after we were seated  & screamed at me for moving there things   told him to talk to the deck crew . as I never "Touched " his items

I might have tossed them overboard  but that is not allowed 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

There are loungers everywhere  with a small path to walk to the other side of the deck 

where would they put more loungers?

Maybe they should just  enforce their  chair saving  rules  maybe have one big burly crew member  patrol the  loungers  I not sure anyone would confront  him if he moved their belonging after 45 mins of absence

We have seen people put books & the breakfast smoothie  next to the lounger then go off the ship for the day ..we returned to area in the afternoon both still there  ..the pax returned at 4pm  to sit in the loungers

Next day same thing  on a sea day

asked the deck crew to remove the items after  2 hrs  after we searched for  a lounger 

Pax  returned 2 hrs after we were seated  & screamed at me for moving there things   told him to talk to the deck crew . as I never "Touched " his items

I might have tossed them overboard  but that is not allowed 😉

😋Do you mean toss Pax or toss items overboard? LOL😇

Edited by true45
  • Haha 2

It sure seems to me that the only surefire solution is for the cruise ship/resort to provide enough loungers to satisfy the demand.  Everyone seems willing to give them a pass on this. Nothing encourages hoarding like a shortage. fwiw I'm sailing on Regent, lying by the pool as I write this. There is no shortage of pool lounges, but the ones in the shade are in high demand... and yes, they get "reserved" by chair hogs🙁

• Like 1

On 12/24/2023 at 10:36 AM, d9704011 said:

Enforce chair use, enforce dress codes, enforce, enforce, enforce.  I'm pretty sure cruise lines have given up on confronting pigheaded, selfish, entitled cruisers who are not at all disposed to following the simplest of rules, policies or 'suggestions' if they don't suit them.

O appears absolutely loath to "enforce" or "discipline" anything. Relying on peer pressure or social convention to prevail. Which may work 90% of the time for 90% of the issues. But apparently not for those lounging around the pool.

You really see this with issues tied to disembarkation. Usually a cluster foxtrot where all the color coding and timing turns into a mass of people trying to get off. Either all early, first thing, or waiting around later, last thing. And even at embarkation, where it seems anyone can pretty much try to get on board at any time just by showing up. The "assigned" times hardly matter.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

O appears absolutely loath to "enforce" or "discipline" anything. Relying on peer pressure or social convention to prevail. Which may work 90% of the time for 90% of the issues. But apparently not for those lounging around the pool.

You really see this with issues tied to disembarkation. Usually a cluster foxtrot where all the color coding and timing turns into a mass of people trying to get off. Either all early, first thing, or waiting around later, last thing. And even at embarkation, where it seems anyone can pretty much try to get on board at any time just by showing up. The "assigned" times hardly matter.

Good point about clustering at disembarkation. What’s the rush? 

1 hour ago, harryw said:

We cruise on many different lines, and with the exception of a few small luxury ships, embarkation/disembarkation always showcases the folks that simply live to be in queues.  It is an amazing phenomenon, but if you start a line there are folks who simply love to get in that line (and than complain about the line).  It is the same at airports.  If there are two security lines folks seem to relish getting in the longest line if it means they do not need to walk 20 feet to a shorter line.  Human nature.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, harryw said:

An issue with Oceania is that it requests you vacate your room by 8 a.m.  In general people do, but there is limited space to sit and wait, so lines start.  Add to that the almost complete lack of anyone in authority being visible during disembarkation so that's like giving tacit permission to line up anytime you want as no one is checking to see if your tag color was called yet. I find a good solution is to eat breakfast in the GDR and plan to finish eating at 8:30 or later and that eliminates some of the cluster problems.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, lj77346 said:

An issue with Oceania is that it requests you vacate your room by 8 a.m.  In general people do, but there is limited space to sit and wait, so lines start.  Add to that the almost complete lack of anyone in authority being visible during disembarkation so that's like giving tacit permission to line up anytime you want as no one is checking to see if your tag color was called yet. I find a good solution is to eat breakfast in the GDR and plan to finish eating at 8:30 or later and that eliminates some of the cluster problems.

I have to say that I’m addicted to room service the day of departure. I’m not a morning person to begin with, and O’s excellent early bird service helps ease the shock. And the food arrives hot!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mnocket said:

fwiw I'm sailing on Regent, lying by the pool as I write this. There is no shortage of pool lounges, but the ones in the shade are in high demand... and yes, they get "reserved" by chair hogs🙁

how many loungers do they have on the pool deck??

I cannot imagine there is one per pax   maybe just the Pax are more interested in other activities  vs sitting on the pooldeck

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

how many loungers do they have on the pool deck??

I cannot imagine there is one per pax   maybe just the Pax are more interested in other activities  vs sitting on the pooldeck

I said enough loungers to satisfy demand, not one per pax. Regent seems to have enough to satisfy demand - which is far less than one per pax. They just don't have enough in the shade. Hence a shortage - hence hoarding (i.e. chair hogs).  My point is you're always going to have a problem with chair hogs as long as demand exceeds supply. 

Edited by mnocket
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

How many do you estimate that may be?  Please show your calculations.

I can count them tomorrow, but you seem to miss my point.  As long as demand exceeds supply, there is going to be a problem with chair hogs.  In Regent's case there are enough loungers, just not enough in the shade - hence a problem with chair hogs for those loungers. OP asked if the problem with chair hogs was unsolvable. I believe the only surefire solution is for cruise lines to bring supply in balance with demand. Short of that, I don't see a real solution. Do you disagree? 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mnocket said:

I can count them tomorrow, but you seem to miss my point.  As long as demand exceeds supply, there is going to be a problem with chair hogs.  In Regent's case there are enough loungers, just not enough in the shade - hence a problem with chair hogs for those loungers. OP asked if the problem with chair hogs was unsolvable. I believe the only surefire solution is for cruise lines to bring supply in balance with demand. Short of that, I don't see a real solution. Do you disagree? 

No, I do not disagree; how do you propose balancing the supply/demand given the boundary conditions of available space?

21 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

I agree wholeheartedly with this. But Oceania cruisers are special and easily offended. Very easily. Case in point is an ongoing thread where a cruiser was made to change their shoes in Toscana. Lots of things that poster could have done to prevent the situation, but they chose to be offended because a Restaurant Manager actually enforced the dress codes. Something many of us applaud. So what happens when a chair hog is Offended because the staff moves his belongings after a couple of hours of absence? We’ll hear about it here.

As for the heinous situation at disembarkation, it amazes me how often we get posters wanting to know if they can make that 9:30 flight out of Miami, or some 10:00 out of FCO! They booked them because the itinerary was convenient for them, then months later they want to know if they’re actually doable. Clear the tracks, the morons will line up in front of the elevator doors, with all the luggage, blocking all trying to get off. There is a limit to the number of “ special “ passengers you can  have and maintain order. Oceania often exceeds that number.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I agree wholeheartedly with this. But Oceania cruisers are special and easily offended. Very easily. Case in point is an ongoing thread where a cruiser was made to change their shoes in Toscana. Lots of things that poster could have done to prevent the situation, but they chose to be offended because a Restaurant Manager actually enforced the dress codes. Something many of us applaud. So what happens when a chair hog is Offended because the staff moves his belongings after a couple of hours of absence? We’ll hear about it here.

As for the heinous situation at disembarkation, it amazes me how often we get posters wanting to know if they can make that 9:30 flight out of Miami, or some 10:00 out of FCO! They booked them because the itinerary was convenient for them, then months later they want to know if they’re actually doable. Clear the tracks, the morons will line up in front of the elevator doors, with all the luggage, blocking all trying to get off. There is a limit to the number of “ special “ passengers you can  have and maintain order. Oceania often exceeds that number.

We took our first O cruise in October. Loved about 98% of it. The disembarkation was awful. We were in an Oceania Suite and were told we could disembark with the earliest group. Staying in Rome, no rush to catch a flight. We arrive to the area where everyone was struggling down the stairs to disembark. I said to my husband there has to be a gangplank somewhere. I asked and was shown the way. When we arrived to retrieve our luggage, the people working there asked where everyone else was. I told them that people were struggling down the stairs with luggage. I am certain there were experienced O passengers who knew they could avoid the stairs; however, no announcement, no sign, and being "newbies" we asked since it made no sense to us. Gathered our luggage easily, our car was waiting, and we spent several great days in Rome. We have booked another O cruise for 2025. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mnocket said:

When people save two loungers per person demand will exceed supply. And pack more chairs will only make it a trip hazard.  Passengers that are considerate is what is needed. 

1 hour ago, kibutzer said:

When people save two loungers per person demand will exceed supply. And pack more chairs will only make it a trip hazard.  Passengers that are considerate is what is needed. 

What’s needed is for Oceania to post a large sign that items will be removed from loungers after 30 minutes of non-use, post a staff member to monitor & then enforce.

Yes, there will be annoyed entitled idiots, but once everyone realizes there are rules that actually must be observed chair hugging should be less of a problem.

Oceania needs to grow some🤞

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Vertygo said:

What’s needed is for Oceania to post a large sign that items will be removed from loungers after 30 minutes of non-use, post a staff member to monitor & then enforce.

Yes, there will be annoyed entitled idiots, but once everyone realizes there are rules that actually must be observed chair hugging should be less of a problem.

Oceania needs to grow some🤞

I would HATE to sail Oceania with “LARGE SIGNS”. Most people don’t disrespect the loungers. 
I sail Oceania for its ‘small’ ship atmosphere and would hate for it to turn into the same ideology as a ‘humungous ship’!

2 hours ago, Vallesan said:

I would HATE to sail Oceania with “LARGE SIGNS”. Most people don’t disrespect the loungers. 
I sail Oceania for its ‘small’ ship atmosphere and would hate for it to turn into the same ideology as a ‘humungous ship’!

I didn’t say “signs”, just one. Make it a small sign if you wish.

From the discussion it sounds like more than a few people hogging or else it wouldn’t be a problem.

The key is enforcement. If O can monitor shoes in restaurants they can certainly monitor chairs.