A $2,600 perfect day?

irun5k

Having a hard time deciding whether to spend $2,600 for a few hours at Hideaway Beach, or $700 for a family of four a few hours doing water slides.... lol.  OMG, I don't even know what is happening here.  Yes, I know these are optional activities.  It is an odd choice for RCI to highlight these "opportunities" on my planner home page... I know their IT dept is terrible but a middle school student with basic Python skills could write a better recommendation engine than this... I booked an inside cabin after all!  With a cheap inside cabin booked, they need to be recommending things in the low 3 digits!

I am hoping to see more from Carnival like what they're doing with their Excellence class- it a game changer for them.  We went on the Celebration last year and it was nothing like the Carnival of old- I think they've got chance to pick up quite a few RCI loyalists if things keep going like they're going.  We felt it was a ton of value just for the base cruise fare.  Maybe the base value on an RCI cruise has stayed about the same- not really sure.  But I know the opportunity to spend several thousand more while onboard has definitely skyrocketed.  

Rant complete, I am sure we'll enjoy our Allure cruise but I do feel we'll be trying out more cruise lines in the future!

image.thumb.png.4a7d57242d8af7a0077ea96b071ebd31.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

18 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

It's cruise line turned theme park. They are making Disney look cheap.

We live in the Tampa Bay Area and a "fun pass" to Busch Gardens is usually around $99 and you can return all year. Go the right time of the year and they still give out free beer 🙂 

Disney has gone nuts, but you're right- RCI prices make that place look like a good value.

Edited by irun5k
  • Like 5

When I last check for my April 2024 cruise on the Jewel it had 2 different options and one was about £1600 for up to 8 people for a Cabana and other things.

However, even at this price it says that it does not include drinks (other than bottled water) unless you have a drinks package. WOW!

I suppose if you are Diamond or above then you can use your drinks vouchers at this location.

If you have the money and want to enjoy this then fair play to you.

My wife would rather me use the money to pay for another cruise and that is what I have done for 2025 - booked 12 nights on the Indy from Southampton to the Canneries.

BTW does anyone know if the 8 people have to be from the same family or group?

I also see that it said that it is £50 per person for each person (may involve other fees) if more than 8 turn up and I think it said a maximum of 2 extra. Simple maths means 10 people at £1700 makes it £170 per person.

Nice if you meet old friends on board who have this booked and have space to invite you.

Nice too if you have a drinks package or better - you are Diamond or above as you can freely give away your drinks to your old friends if they don't have a drinks package or are not Diamond etc.

Fun times to be had by all!

We, however will probably be on the beach somehwere getting some rays and having a few Kraken-colada's using our Diamond Plus drinks.

Mick.

These are priced at whatever the market is willing to pay. If not enough interest in the higher prices they will lower to attract new customers. This is nothing new from a marketing perspective but as long as folks are willing to pay the higher prices there is no incentive to lower the price. ECON. 101

• Like 3

We live in Central Florida and are not "beach" people.  We have done an Oasis Lagoon cabana and the Beach Club on separate visits.  Both are wonderful experiences, but not worth paying to do again.  On our next cruise, we plan to stay on the ship when docked at Coco Cay and enjoy the uncrowded hot tub and bars.  

• Like 6

I just tried to mock book Carnival yesterday, I couldn't even navigate their booking engine, pathetic.  I was interested in just such a comparison because in years past the difference in base fair was almost nil for same month, same cabin cat. etc.  I kept getting the upper/lower cabin available for all of April out of Galveston!  And I don't want to go to Progresso.  We're booked on Voyager for the 5 day interior for $1252.52.  I'd be willing to try their newer ships but how do you navigate the engine?  🤪  OK  I tried again and finally got more cabins...but their price was still $1220.10 total on Breeze.  I sure hope the new ships are worth that little difference and we don't get any free drinks with that either!

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

I dont spend any extra on a cruise . I eat the included food and get the 4 free diamond drinks .

I have no desire anymore for excursions or extra fees for anything.

I look at those fees for all the extras and shake my head at how much RC abuses their guests.

I just enjoy the ship ( Oasis class ) and all it has to offer included in the fare price.

But thats me , everybody else can do what they like.🙂

• Like 6

Pretty much the same here.  We're not getting off ICON at all next September.  Check, just CoCo Cay.  We're doing Hideaway day pass at $62.99.  We haven't done Cozumel in a long time.  been there done all that.  Like our drink vouchers too.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, irun5k said:

... Yes, I know these are optional activities ... I booked an inside cabin after all! ... But I know the opportunity to spend several thousand more while onboard has definitely skyrocketed

Thing is, not everyone thinks the same way.  Some people book an Inside SO THAT they can go all out on excursions ... or drinks or food. 

I'm personally not bothered by what some people call "nickle and diming"; I think of it as CHOICES.  And my choice is usually, "No thank you."  My mom went on a very expensive river cruise last summer, and she said she went into it understanding she was paying for all the people who drink heavily.  

18 minutes ago, brillohead said:

No, one person books the cabana and then ANY seven other people can join in.  

Just to be clear:  The seven other people are invited by the cabana's renter.  Seven strangers (even if they paid) can't join.  

4 minutes ago, loman said:

I dont spend any extra on a cruise . I eat the included food and get the 4 free diamond drinks .

I have no desire anymore for excursions or extra fees for anything.

I look at those fees for all the extras and shake my head at how much RC abuses their guests.

I just enjoy the ship ( Oasis class ) and all it has to offer included in the fare price.

But thats me , everybody else can do what they like.🙂

We're a lot like you.  When we were younger and we had children and less vacation time, we chose larger cabins and were fussier about details.  Now that we're retired and have more time, we decided to see JUST HOW CHEAPLY we could go and be happy.  We are happy with an inside room, we don't spend extra on food, and we buy a few drinks.  100% satisfied.  

• Like 4

I went and watched Youtube on Breeze....nah, just can't do the pool decks, why would you continue to put in the teensy ugly pools on newer ships.  No comparison with RCCL's artwork and expansive well decorated pool decks...i.e. Solarium.  They just don't compare in my honest opinion.  We'll stay with RCCL as long as we can afford them, maybe older smaller ships but we'll stick.

• Like 2

Hey, if you are in a financial situation where you can and want to spend $2600 for a cabana, then you go for it. Don't worry about what these budget bunnies say. It's your money you're spending not theirs. Enjoy it while you can.

• Like 2

Can't speak on COCO Cay but I took a cruise on one of Carnivals ships a year ago.  I had said NEVER AGAIN,  But under a weird circumstances I went again.  I shocked myself by really liking the ship and have to say would go again.  The price was way cheaper so that was good too.  I may pick Carnival over Royal again.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, irun5k said:

Having a hard time deciding whether to spend $2,600 for a few hours at Hideaway Beach, or $700 for a family of four a few hours doing water slides.... lol.  OMG, I don't even know what is happening here.  Yes, I know these are optional activities.  It is an odd choice for RCI to highlight these "opportunities" on my planner home page... I know their IT dept is terrible but a middle school student with basic Python skills could write a better recommendation engine than this... I booked an inside cabin after all!  With a cheap inside cabin booked, they need to be recommending things in the low 3 digits!

I am hoping to see more from Carnival like what they're doing with their Excellence class- it a game changer for them.  We went on the Celebration last year and it was nothing like the Carnival of old- I think they've got chance to pick up quite a few RCI loyalists if things keep going like they're going.  We felt it was a ton of value just for the base cruise fare.  Maybe the base value on an RCI cruise has stayed about the same- not really sure.  But I know the opportunity to spend several thousand more while onboard has definitely skyrocketed.  

Rant complete, I am sure we'll enjoy our Allure cruise but I do feel we'll be trying out more cruise lines in the future!

image.thumb.png.4a7d57242d8af7a0077ea96b071ebd31.png

Is this a serious question? I would use the US 2600 to book a cruise 😂😂😂. I mean do you really expect a serious answer?

• Like 1