Friends of Bill

4 hours ago, TheDawg79 said:

I’ve seen AA meetings in every cruise I’ve taken this year.

I can’t recall a cruise (RCCL or Carnival) where there hasn’t been a meeting offered.  As we AA’ers know, not always well attended, but we only need 2 📘💙.

🛳️🛳️

Bobbi

• Like 3

7 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I haven't noticed lately, maybe because I'm not looking but, there is a bulletin board near Guest Services that lists dates and times for Friends of Bill meetings. I think they are also listed in the daily Compass.

Last few cruises, the bulletin board was removed, but as you noted, the info will be in the compass.  One is already listed several days  in the compass for a cruise next week on Adventure.  

M

Recently, I was on a cruise - the Liberty OTS I think, and the time of day and venue selected by the ship (how do they come up with these times?) was not convenient for us who came on the first day.

So we changed the meeting to another time, and "announced" it by leaving a big note at the venue with room phone numbers, and on the announcement board each day.  In effect, there were two meetings per day--a very good thing.  Guest services were not able to change the meeting stats for the app.

I take my responsibility pledge seriously.

L

• Like 1

As someone who watched and lost a loved-one struggle with alcohol addiction, I'm glad these meetings are offered and don't care if they are not well attended.  Struggles are not organized, planned or convenient.  As @Markmom18 said, you only need two. @LAKaye  I'm glad you are proactive in making sure meeting notices and changes are well published.

Are these meetings generally closed meetings?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jk04 said:

As someone who watched and lost a loved-one struggle with alcohol addiction, I'm glad these meetings are offered and don't care if they are not well attended.  Struggles are not organized, planned or convenient.  As @Markmom18 said, you only need two. @LAKaye  I'm glad you are proactive in making sure meeting notices and changes are well published.

Hi,

The meetings are “run” by whoever attends.  If you want to attend, I can’t see why you’d not be welcome.  My husband, myself & son are all sober & in Recovery.  It’s always been nice to meet fellow alcoholics/addicts in these meetings.  I personally have never asked someone if they “belong” in the room there on the ship 😂.  
🛳️🛳️

Bobbi

On 12/16/2023 at 2:12 PM, jk04 said:

The meetings I attended on Explorer and Liberty were open to all 12 step programs, we had NA, OAand Alanon members present and sharing.  There are always large meetings on TA's.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

rarely see Friends of Dorothy

Aren't those the LGBTQ+ events planned throughout the cruise?  I always see quite a few in the Compass.

9 hours ago, mugtech said:

The meetings I attended on Explorer and Liberty were open to all 12 step programs

I guess what I meant by closed is only allowed to be attended by those in a program, not the friends and family members.  When my loved-one was going through the program, there were meetings where we were allowed to attend and others that were closed to only those in recovery / after-care.

8 hours ago, jk04 said:

Aren't those the LGBTQ+ events planned throughout the cruise?  I always see quite a few in the Compass.

I guess what I meant by closed is only allowed to be attended by those in a program, not the friends and family members.  When my loved-one was going through the program, there were meetings where we were allowed to attend and others that were closed to only those in recovery / after-care.

Family members would be considered members of alanon and welcome.

On 12/17/2023 at 9:19 PM, neverbeenhere said:

Always see Friends of Bill W, rarely see Friends of Dorothy. Met a guy named Bill Wilson on a cruise that thought it was nice that he had so many friends aboard that they had reserved a place for them to meet. 

Friends of Dorothy have been changed to just LGBTQ+ meet ups. They have them every cruise, usually daily, as well.  Also, I was newly Sober on my cruise earlier this year and was happy to see the meetings available, the times were usually during other activities or while in port, so I never made any...but it was great to know if I need to get away from everything, it was there. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 12/19/2023 at 4:45 AM, Scottdalfonso said:

Friends of Dorothy have been changed to just LGBTQ+ meet ups

Funny story with the Friends of Dorothy name... I was on the Celebrity Summit this summer and met a couple of guys who became good friends at the gathering the first night. IDK if Royal makes it more obvious, but we kind of randomly found the crew member in charge of the first night on the Summit. At one point we were talking about the gatherings and they said they'd been on a cruise when the lines were still saying "Friends of Dorothy" and when they got there, there were 3 women who were all Wizard-of-Oz-bounding (like cos play but not as extreme) who thought it was a gathering for fans to discuss and/or watch The Wizard of Oz. My new friends said they all ended up becoming great friends, but the women had no clue what "Friends of Dorothy" really referred to.

I just looked at the current Anthem cruise to get an idea of when the LGBTQIA+ might be on my February one so I can kind of plan around them. 🙂

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

Before I knew what Friends of Bill was, I was talking with a guy while waiting for the elevator (long wait).  After we arrived at deck 11, I said, I'll see you later and maybe we'll go for a beer.  That was when I found out............