Tours abd Personal Information

cjpj

Looking for people's experiences/opinions. We took a Princess sponsored tour today in Barbados. When we got off the ship, there were people from the tour operators there with iPad wanting our Full Names, Date of Birth and other information to sign a waiver for this tour. My husband is a stickler for Personal Data Infomation and refused to provide his date of birth. There were more questioned they asked, but they stopped with us at that point.

Providing this information to someone with an iPad on an island does not seem  like this information would very secure to me and easily hackable. This also slowed to process, trying to get all this info from everyone and then have each person then sign the waiver. 

At no point (in the tour description or on the tour tickets) was it disclosed this info would be required for the tour.

My husband tried to complain once we returned to the ship, but he was basically told not to worry about it.  I guess the two different people he talked to, know nothing about protecting personal data information and hacking.

Never in 20 cruises, have we been asked this info. Asked to sign wavers yes, but not have my personal data put into a electronic device. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cjpj said:

Looking for people's experiences/opinions. We took a Princess sponsored tour today in Barbados. When we got off the ship, there were people from the tour operators there with iPad wanting our Full Names, Date of Birth and other information to sign a waiver for this tour. My husband is a stickler for Personal Data Infomation and refused to provide his date of birth. There were more questioned they asked, but they stopped with us at that point.

Providing this information to someone with an iPad on an island does not seem  like this information would very secure to me and easily hackable. This also slowed to process, trying to get all this info from everyone and then have each person then sign the waiver. 

At no point (in the tour description or on the tour tickets) was it disclosed this info would be required for the tour.

My husband tried to complain once we returned to the ship, but he was basically told not to worry about it.  I guess the two different people he talked to, know nothing about protecting personal data information and hacking.

Never in 20 cruises, have we been asked this info. Asked to sign wavers yes, but not have my personal data put into a electronic device. 

You don't have to put your actual information in...

17 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

Whenever I'm "required" to provide information that I'm not comfortable sharing, I make something up.  🤪

Yes, that's what I do too. But most people just go on rote and give out their info.

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

Concern over providing a birthdate?   I can't see the harm in that.  

I wonder if they asked for it due to age limits for the excursion.   

Full name and a date of birth - two key pieces of info for identy theft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cjpj said:

Full name and a date of birth - two key pieces of info for identy theft.

I suppose.  I figure my info is already out there and DOB is probably a public record somewhere if someone really wants it.   I just wouldn't have the same worry as expressed by the OP.  I agree though, if it is a worry, don't give it.   

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I suppose.  I figure my info is already out there and DOB is probably a public record somewhere if someone really wants it.   I just wouldn't have the same worry as expressed by the OP.  I agree though, if it is a worry, don't give it.   

If just the birthdate and name were required (although, the OP indicated there were more personal questions), I’m sure it has to do with insurance reasons.  If one lied about his or her age, I’m sure they have voided any chance of insurance coverage if they lie about it.  
I would have easily given them my birthday year .. maybe the month and date if I was just there on the line.  I would have no problem giving them this data as well, it’s out there everywhere.  But, I would offered it little by little for why they needed it.  
if they asked for my SSN, I would have a problem with that … 😆 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

If just the birthdate and name were required (although, the OP indicated there were more personal questions), I’m sure it has to do with insurance reasons.  If one lied about his or her age, I’m sure they have voided any chance of insurance coverage if they lie about it.  
I would have easily given them my birthday year .. maybe the month and date if I was just there on the line.  I would have no problem giving them this data as well, it’s out there everywhere.  But, I would offered it little by little for why they needed it.  
if they asked for my SSN, I would have a problem with that … 😆 

Yup, there are some things I won't willingly give up.   SSN is one of them.   Someone asks for that they can go fish.  Haha.    

• Like 1

I just cancelled a cruise that was  going to Brazil (on another cruise line)  because they require US citizens to apply for an eVisa where you have to send bank statements to prove you can "financially support" you stay in the country. 

11 hours ago, annmarz said:

I just cancelled a cruise that was  going to Brazil (on another cruise line)  because they require US citizens to apply for an eVisa where you have to send bank statements to prove you can "financially support" you stay in the country. 

That's a little different.  The bank statement is a requirement of the government of Brazil to obtain the eVisa.  Even the U.S. requires proof of funds for some of their Visa category applications.

On 12/15/2023 at 4:47 PM, LACruiser88 said:

Whenever I'm "required" to provide information that I'm not comfortable sharing, I make something up.  🤪

On 12/15/2023 at 4:51 PM, upsmanclt said:

Can't count the number of times I've given the wrong telephone number. 🤥

On 12/15/2023 at 8:13 PM, startedwithamouse said:

You don't have to put your actual information in...

On 12/16/2023 at 10:28 AM, cjpj said:

Yes, that's what I do too. But most people just go on rote and give out their info.

I wonder if these practices might result in problems should there be a claim against the tour company?

4 minutes ago, broberts said:

I wonder if these practices might result in problems should there be a claim against the tour company?

I wonder how likely a successful claim would be against a tour operator in Barbados weighed against the likelihood of actually needing to make one combined with the idea of giving PII over to some rando with an iPad...