Libraries onboard

sunsetme

Most ships still have the library, but the selection is pretty limited.  If I take a real book on a cruise, I always just leave it in the library for future passengers as many others do.  But I much prefer to read on a tablet just for the ease of not having to bring multiple books with me.

• Like 2

On our recent cruise(s) in Australia and New Zealand my wife was pleased to find a number of books by Australian authors she had never read. She enjoyed a number of them until the Library was essentially shut down due to Noro Virus.

31 days illness free. Then we got to Australia and had 32 days of continuous illness issues and precautions on the ship despite repeated "deep cleaning" sessions. People would fail to wash their hands or "pretend" to wash their hands and people kept getting sick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Thrak said:

On our recent cruise(s) in Australia and New Zealand my wife was pleased to find a number of books by Australian authors she had never read. She enjoyed a number of them until the Library was essentially shut down due to Noro Virus.

31 days illness free. Then we got to Australia and had 32 days of continuous illness issues and precautions on the ship despite repeated "deep cleaning" sessions. People would fail to wash their hands or "pretend" to wash their hands and people kept getting sick.

Which ship were you on?  There were a lot of books in the library of the Royal and my DH enjoyed at least one of them.  We disembarked last Friday.  Have been dealing with upper respiratory infections since the end of the cruise and yeah, our embarkation had been delayed due to deep cleaning but it seemed like respiratory and gastro grunge continued to rip through the ship on our cruise.  Tis the season...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sunsetme said:

Libraries onboard are diminished since Covid, what are you reading??

They are?  The Grand, Ruby, Emerald were fully stocked with games and books.

We were one of the first sailings back on the Grand and fully stocked library. 

Why do you say they are diminished?

@sunsetme with the statement you made, what ship are you currently on ?

Edited by startedwithamouse

We will be on the CB in March and would be delighted to find out that there is still a real library there.  Although we have sailed on Royal class ships for attractive itineraries our preference is for ships with a full promenade deck as well as libraries.

3 hours ago, Outerdog said:

Nah, false.

image.thumb.png.372a77a497b636a80202bab16bd7447a.png

Could be just the angle of the pic but, besides a few games looks like them shelves are a little bare.

Love reading but also one that has gone to electronic reading. Started on a Kindle (loved it) but have migrated to an iPad for the reasons I like to look up places mentioned in a book that I don’t know about on the web (as well as email and sport updates😊)

Cheers

Edited by AZjohn
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Which ship were you on?  There were a lot of books in the library of the Royal and my DH enjoyed at least one of them.  We disembarked last Friday.  Have been dealing with upper respiratory infections since the end of the cruise and yeah, our embarkation had been delayed due to deep cleaning but it seemed like respiratory and gastro grunge continued to rip through the ship on our cruise.  Tis the season...

We were on Grand Princess and there is no "season" for Noro Virus. It is a "***** to mouth" disease. It is spread by people who don't practice good hygiene.

3 hours ago, Tonye60 said:

What has library's and Covid got to do with each other

We were told flat out by crew that all the books on the ships were burned because they feared Covid spread through contact. Obviously it wasn't the case but then again there was no need for the "Great Toilet Paper Run" either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We visited England, Ireland, Iceland, and Scotland on the Island Princess in September. I was amazed at the large, well-stocked library on that ship. Perhaps because it does the world cruises?

I read several new fiction stories during sea days. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Teechur said:

We visited England, Ireland, Iceland, and Scotland on the Island Princess in September. I was amazed at the large, well-stocked library on that ship. Perhaps because it does the world cruises?

I read several new fiction stories during sea days. 

Very cool. When I was a kid we moved constantly and the first thing we did in each new town was to locate the library, get library cards, and walk home towing the wagon full of books. (Our TV didn't work for most of my childhood. I fixed it myself when the first Star Trek came out.) These days we contribute to the Chico Friends of the Library to do our bit to keep it up an running but, sadly, I get about 99.999% of my books electronically these days. I generally have anywhere from 20 - 40 books on my devices at all times. (We do watch some TV but it's all streaming stuff with no commercials and we haven't seen any of the "popular" or "must see" TV shows for the past 40 years or so.) I am seriously saddened by the fact that most people these days simply don't read books. I feel sorry for those who were never encouraged to develop a love of reading. It is, simply put, one of the greatest pleasures in life.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, AZjohn said:

Could be just the angle of the pic but, besides a few games looks like them shelves are a little bare.

Love reading but also one that has gone to electronic reading. Started on a Kindle (loved it) but have migrated to an iPad for the reasons I like to look up places mentioned in a book that I don’t know about on the web (as well as email and sport updates😊)

Cheers

Looking up stuff while reading is a nice "perk".  I have the Paperwhite for reading and I also have the Kindle Fire for email, web browsing, etc (I don't bring a laptop).  But, I don't carry both around with me.   The iPad is a great solution.   

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AZjohn said:

The shelf on the wall to the left was full of books. The point was that the library was very much open and available and not "diminished" -- whatever that means -- and a good place to finish off a beer, apparently.

3 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

These are two of the Princess ships that I've sailed on.  I liked the Ruby's library - a fair amount of both books and games.  I didn't see the Regal's library.

The Regal library is aft deck 7 next to the Vista Lounge - It has a large number of games, puzzles and good books...

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Thrak said:

Very cool. When I was a kid we moved constantly and the first thing we did in each new town was to locate the library, get library cards, and walk home towing the wagon full of books. (Our TV didn't work for most of my childhood. I fixed it myself when the first Star Trek came out.) These days we contribute to the Chico Friends of the Library to do our bit to keep it up an running but, sadly, I get about 99.999% of my books electronically these days. I generally have anywhere from 20 - 40 books on my devices at all times. (We do watch some TV but it's all streaming stuff with no commercials and we haven't seen any of the "popular" or "must see" TV shows for the past 40 years or so.) I am seriously saddened by the fact that most people these days simply don't read books. I feel sorry for those who were never encouraged to develop a love of reading. It is, simply put, one of the greatest pleasures in life.

I agree. I have always enjoyed reading but it's tough getting the younger generation to read anything. They are always on their phones watching Tik Toks and other short-attention-span "crack". I have read most of the Joe Pickett series by C.J. Box, and all of the books by Daniel Silva, as well as many others.

Yesterday, six of us booked an Alaska cruise for September. Can't wait! 🙃

• Like 2