Password protected wifi

Iwork2trav

is the wifi in the internet cafe on princess password protected? I can't use my work laptop unless it is a password protected wifi, which cabins are not  but is the internet cafe?  On the Discovery princess now and I have a work emergency that I cannot resolve

10 minutes ago, Iwork2trav said:

is the wifi in the internet cafe on princess password protected? I can't use my work laptop unless it is a password protected wifi, which cabins are not  but is the internet cafe?  On the Discovery princess now and I have a work emergency that I cannot resolve

Ask them. They would know. 

21 minutes ago, Iwork2trav said:

is the wifi in the internet cafe on princess password protected?

MedallionNet Login is shipwide with Name, Cabin Number and birth date. So yes, it is protected, but not like usual with a WPA2 password.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Iwork2trav said:

Maybe you can scrounge around and find a hard-wired connection.

At 2:00, check the printers and manager's PC in the internet cafe.

As you are already onboard, it's too late, but a travel router might solve this the next time..

If you have a phone that can host a mobile hotspot which connected to wifi, that might work, too.

mobile hotspot can also be called one of my favorite oxymorons: wireless tethering

• Like 1

14 hours ago, thinfool said:

Is there a reason your company will not let you use a vpn?

Group policy may prevent his company laptop from connecting to unsecured wireless networks. His company likely does use a VPN or other application portal.

I'll be on Sapphire in a few weeks and will bring my travel router with me.  Hopefully it will work.  Hoping even more I don't need to use it and can just unplug for two weeks!

@effinaround  As a retired network manager who also handled network security...it would be a glaring hole in security policy to allow connection to any wired network while at the same time disallowing connection to an "open" wifi.  The image here that comes to my mind is that scene from Blazing Saddles where there was a toll gate out in the middle of the desert.  No fences...just the gate.

tollgate.jpg

Edited by Rick&Jeannie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Nah, it's harder (but not impossible) to sniff over a wire than a completely unprotected wireless transmission which is truly open season. It falls under "staff need to get stuff done" and acceptable risk. That TV LAN port, if active at all, would likely be connected to a restricted guest network. 

5 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

If you have a phone that can host a mobile hotspot which connected to wifi, that might work, too.

mobile hotspot can also be called one of my favorite oxymorons: wireless tethering

Using cellular at sea can be quite expensive though. I'd check the cell phone plan first to see what kind of roaming charges there are.

I am not sure from what people are saying if the onboard intranet doesn't have a password or if the internet that you pay for doesn't. I don't see how the internet that you pay for wouldn't have a password. If it doesn't, then anyone could use it without paying for it. The intranet (LAN) won't work for connecting to work anyway. It has to be internet to connect to anything off-ship.

ETA both use wifi so it's confusing. Most people think of wifi as connecting to the internet because that's how it is at home.

Edited by MacMadame

1 hour ago, MacMadame said:

Using cellular at sea can be quite expensive though. I'd check the cell phone plan first to see what kind of roaming charges there are..

Many current phones have the ability to share their wifi connection.

Turn off mobile data.

Connect to wifi.

Create mobile hotspot with password.

In the old days, most phones could only share their mobile data connection.

1 hour ago, MacMadame said:

I am not sure from what people are saying if the onboard intranet doesn't have a password or if the internet that you pay for doesn't. I don't see how the internet that you pay for wouldn't have a password. If it doesn't, then anyone could use it without paying for it. The intranet (LAN) won't work for connecting to work anyway. It has to be internet to connect to anything off-ship.

Two different things.

Does the wifi require a password simply to connect?   I think that is what the requirement you refer to is talking about.

Once you connect to wifi, you may be able to do free things, as well as things with cost.

For instance, in a hotel, once you connect to their wifi, you may be able to access their reservation system for free.

But, to connect to the internet, you may need an additional password.

5 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

As a retired network manager who also handled network security...it would be a glaring hole in security policy to allow connection to any wired network while at the same time disallowing connection to an "open" wifi.

A couple summers ago, I stayed for a few weeks at a common international brand hotel.

Although internet access was free for me at my loyalty level, down loading movies was really slow in my room.

Borrowing the printer network cable in the business center gave downloads that were about 10x as fast.

I just needed a ethernet adapter, so I could download directly to my tablet.

image.thumb.png.8a3cad7827300393c3f8fa522388d358.png

My phone - Samsung S10e - can't make a mobile hotspot using only WiFi. It has to have Data enabled. Definitely a no-go on the ship. I did find that I was able to use my VPN on the ship - in fact, my email refused to function without using the VPN. Sadly, a couple of other sites refused to function properly with VPN so I found myself switching back and forth. Quite annoying but better than being totally out of touch for 2 months.

3 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

Many current phones have the ability to share their wifi connection.

Turn off mobile data.

Connect to wifi.

Create mobile hotspot with password.

In the old days, most phones could only share their mobile data connection.

Two different things.

Does the wifi require a password simply to connect?   I think that is what the requirement you refer to is talking about.

Once you connect to wifi, you may be able to do free things, as well as things with cost.

For instance, in a hotel, once you connect to their wifi, you may be able to access their reservation system for free.

But, to connect to the internet, you may need an additional password.

The restriction is connecting to an open wifi, period. If the Wifi doesn't have a password to connect to it, even if additional information is required to get on the internet, the policy won't allow you to get that far.

4 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

The restriction is connecting to an open wifi, period. If the Wifi doesn't have a password to connect to it, even if additional information is required to get on the internet, the policy won't allow you to get that far.

Technically one does need a password to connect to WiFi on the ship. It's not a super secure password but you do have to "make and account" and, if you have Internet access, you do need to login.

14 hours ago, Thrak said:

My phone - Samsung S10e - can't make a mobile hotspot using only WiFi.

Your service provider can set whether you can create a mobile hotspot, if they wish.

"Some phones can share Wi-Fi connection by tethering."

... from this document:

https://support.google.com/android/answer/9059108?hl=en

I'm pretty sure I can share wifi with Samsung S8, S8+ and Note 10.

I also have pretty high end google pixel.  I don't kow if it can share a wifi connection.

I might have to investigate.

Mrs. Roberto is super had of hearing, and the pixel has the best live captioning.

...so she can caption phone calls, or even room convesation.

Edited by Roberto256

12 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I think the easiest way to get around this would be with a mobile hotspot /travel router.

Connect travel router to ship wifi, and do princess login so that internet data is available at the router.

Set up your travel router to host a hotspot, sharing the internet connection.

When you set up the travel router, require a password to connect.

Whatever your final device is ...

laptop, tablet, another phone.

...those devices think they are connected to secure wifi, which requires a password.

(because the travel router is presenting secure wifi, requiring a password).

12 hours ago, Thrak said:

Technically one does need a password to connect to WiFi on the ship. It's not a super secure password but you do have to "make and account" and, if you have Internet access, you do need to login.

Yes, but the wifi itself is open. You can connect to the wifi network itself and not do anything without being required to enter a password. Most public guest wifi acts this way. The OP's IT department is probably using this restriction to prevent people from using their work laptops at coffee shops.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Yes, but the wifi itself is open. You can connect to the wifi network itself and not do anything without being required to enter a password. Most public guest wifi acts this way. The OP's IT department is probably using this restriction to prevent people from using their work laptops at coffee shops.

I'm assuming the poster wants to connect using a laptop...

A travel router or a phone hotspot can solve this this.

Connect the travel router to princess wifi, and do the princess login.

Have the travel router act as a hotspot.   

Configure the hotspot to be password protected.

Connect the laptop to the travel router hot spot.

This connection will be to a password protected hotspot ... because that's what you set up.

That is all the laptop can see.

The laptop will never know what kind of network connection the travel router has.

On 12/22/2023 at 4:45 PM, Thrak said:

My phone - Samsung S10e - can't make a mobile hotspot using only WiFi. It has to have Data enabled. Definitely a no-go on the ship.

It looks like it was added in Android-10.   Also, if you have a carrier locked phone, the carrier can decide if you can create a hotspot at all.

This page has a nice description, and a nice picture.

https://tunecomp.net/wi-fi-sharing-on-samsung-galaxy/

image.png.277ad9dfedb09af43c7a15f1cd638c49.png