Total price for plus package

ratherbecruzin

It’s $60 if you purchase it on embarkation day (if the price doesn’t rise) 

If you include it with your fare, then you will be charged an increase in your Princess insurance.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

If you include it with your fare, then you will be charged an increase in your Princess insurance.

Have you ever known of a discount if purchased on embarkation day? 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Have you ever known of a discount if purchased on embarkation day? 

They do give a $10 per person credit when you buy it on board. It’s to make up in case you paid for medallion shipping. 

• Like 3

On 12/28/2023 at 7:02 AM, SargassoPirate said:

Thanks reedprincess and EconDoc.  I keep putting the pencil to it and just can't make it work for me.  I only have a wee dram or two in the evening. I'll stick with my a la carte style of cruising for now.

It's an effort to come out ahead for most people. 

• Haha 1

I have a question related to the Princess Plus package and how you pay for it. We are cruising on the Sky Princess leaving January 6, 2024. We are debating whether to upgrade to the Princess Plus package.

Princess says we can add Princess Plus during the first 2 days on board. Once we board the ship we will have access to our Onboard Credit. Our question is - Can we use Onboard Credit towards the cost of Princess Plus?

Thanks for your help

4 minutes ago, JPClicks said:

I have a question related to the Princess Plus package and how you pay for it. We are cruising on the Sky Princess leaving January 6, 2024. We are debating whether to upgrade to the Princess Plus package.

Princess says we can add Princess Plus during the first 2 days on board. Once we board the ship we will have access to our Onboard Credit. Our question is - Can we use Onboard Credit towards the cost of Princess Plus?

Thanks for your help

Yes.  Anything charged to on board account is settled with available OBC before charging any net owing to your credit card upon checkout.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2023 at 12:19 AM, cr8tiv1 said:

Since the cost of the Plus Package is included in the base cruise fare, we did the math regarding the 8% TA discount we get if we book the cruise through them, and the increase in the insurance premium was pretty much a wash.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, MissP22 said:

It's an effort to come out ahead for most people. 

Given that Princess reports that 75-80% of people purchase a package, I'd say it isn't much of an effort for most people. 😉

It certainly wasn't for us and neither of us is a big drinker of alcohol.

7 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Since the cost of the Plus Package is included in the base cruise fare, we did the math regarding the 8% TA discount we get if we book the cruise through them, and the increase in the insurance premium was pretty much a wash.

I get 12%, and don't buy Princess insurance, so it doesn't pay for me to wait until on the ship.  (Even with the discount, Plus doesn't work for us - especially longer voyages which we have been doing.  I might go for it if doing a 7-night Caribbean jaunt).

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

On 12/28/2023 at 4:02 AM, SargassoPirate said:

Thanks reedprincess and EconDoc.  I keep putting the pencil to it and just can't make it work for me.  I only have a wee dram or two in the evening. I'll stick with my a la carte style of cruising for now.

Remember to include morning drinks like good coffee drinks and hot cocoa. Do you like to take water onshore with you? We always grab water bottles for our shore excursions.

We always use internet and tip so that is also included.

I enjoy wine in the evening and maybe a Mai Tai on sea days. DH can't drink alcohol but enjoys a Virgin Pina Colada. Therefore, it is worth it for me and DH can come close.

2 hours ago, nini said:

Remember to include morning drinks like good coffee drinks and hot cocoa. Do you like to take water onshore with you? We always grab water bottles for our shore excursions.

We always use internet and tip so that is also included.

I enjoy wine in the evening and maybe a Mai Tai on sea days. DH can't drink alcohol but enjoys a Virgin Pina Colada. Therefore, it is worth it for me and DH can come close.

This is why I am mystified when people say that the Plus package isn't worth it if you don't drink alcohol. You don't have to drink alcohol to rack up $$. In the days when soda, water, coffee, etc. were included, it was different.

OTOH, for people who don't drink or don't drink much, deciding whether or not Plus/Premium is worth it does involve quite a bit of math and guessing what you will do on vacation. I had to make a spreadsheet! 🤣

• Like 1

On 12/29/2023 at 12:00 PM, voljeep said:

please provide 'your opinion/definition' of "ahead" in this specific situation 🤑

At least

15 alcohol drinks a day

30 coffees a day

25 mocktails a day

We're trying our darnest to stay ahead but the bathroom trips are slowing us down. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
16 hours ago, MacMadame said:

This is why I am mystified when people say that the Plus package isn't worth it if you don't drink alcohol. You don't have to drink alcohol to rack up $$. In the days when soda, water, coffee, etc. were included, it was different.

OTOH, for people who don't drink or don't drink much, deciding whether or not Plus/Premium is worth it does involve quite a bit of math and guessing what you will do on vacation. I had to make a spreadsheet! 🤣

So did I but it didn't take me long to realise that for us the breakeven point was always going to be hit most days. Not all days though and we had to decide whether it was worth going DIY knowing that it might be cheaper overall or whether it was close enough for us not to worry about it and just accept that it might be a little cheaper DIY but having the package is so much simpler and easier that it is worth having anyway.

So that is what we do now... no more spreadsheets. We just take the package and not worry about it knowing that it will be there or there about. May be we will have a few days, or even a cruise or two, where DIY might have been cheaper but for us it won't have been by much so we don't worry about it any more.

Some ask why it would not make sense for anyone not to purchase the Plus package.  Here is why for us personally, it does not work to our advantage....Cost of package for 7 days is approx $840 additional.  If you back out the cost of items we would  "use" (wifi, grats, 2 Casual Dinings, Medallion shipping), it leaves around $450 to spend on drinks to break even (5 - $13 drinks a day). We have maybe 2 drinks a day, if that, and do not get specialty coffee, juice, water, etc.  We are good with what the MDR or buffet serves, so for us, we pay as go and it has always been cheaper.  I understand for most this may not be the case, but it is for some.  That is what I love about having the choice.  No one answer is right, each person gets to choose.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VaTech8912 said:

Some ask why it would not make sense for anyone not to purchase the Plus package.  Here is why for us personally, it does not work to our advantage....Cost of package for 7 days is approx $840 additional.  If you back out the cost of items we would  "use" (wifi, grats, 2 Casual Dinings, Medallion shipping), it leaves around $450 to spend on drinks to break even (5 - $13 drinks a day). We have maybe 2 drinks a day, if that, and do not get specialty coffee, juice, water, etc.  We are good with what the MDR or buffet serves, so for us, we pay as go and it has always been cheaper.  I understand for most this may not be the case, but it is for some.  That is what I love about having the choice.  No one answer is right, each person gets to choose.

AT least you have broken it down for how you travel. Please know that the Plus package now includes beverages up to $15.00 each and of course Princess has raised the prices. A decent glass of wine is now $15.00, not the old $13.00. Sometimes I splurge and go over, but am only charged the difference and of course beverage gratuities are included.

Shipping is sometimes charged with the Plus package and sometimes not. We were charged last time when we were told that we wouldn't be.

Guest Snaxmuppet
2 hours ago, VaTech8912 said:

It takes all sorts. It clearly doesn't work for you and I am sure that there are lots of others that the package doesn't work for either. The important thing IMHO is that you have done your own assessment and you are happy with your decision.

I would be sorry to see the standard cruise fare (no package) go. There are a lot of people like VaTech8912 and it would be wrong IMO for them to be forced to pay for services and items they know from the start they will not use.

9 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

I would be sorry to see the standard cruise fare (no package) go. There are a lot of people like VaTech8912 and it would be wrong IMO for them to be forced to pay for services and items they know from the start they will not use.

IIRC, Celebrity tried this a few years ago and all their fares included a drinks package, etc.

Even though we have heard a large percentage of passengers elect to get at least the Plus package, Celebrity had to bring back ‘standard’ fares, so it would surprise me if Princess drops the option for a ‘no frills’ fare. 

It appears that percentage of passengers who would not use all the included amenities, was a large enough group for Celebrity to not want to lose, so no frills fares were again offered.

9 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

So did I but it didn't take me long to realise that for us the breakeven point was always going to be hit most days.

I did mine using the total for the cruise and not per day. It made life easier because of things like 2 casual dining and free OceanNow that are not per day.

On 12/30/2023 at 12:30 AM, MacMadame said:

Given that Princess reports that 75-80% of people purchase a package, I'd say it isn't much of an effort for most people. 😉

It certainly wasn't for us and neither of us is a big drinker of alcohol.

Where do they report that?