New Princess App available

iamaqt2

57 minutes ago, kamelia said:

I am onboard and can share experience embarking Sapphire Princess in Buenos Aires.

When we arrived at the check-in area, we were asked, “are you green or blue?” - the only other option was “Guests Requiring Assistance,” no Platinum/Elite/Suite designation.  At the desk, we were asked for our room number and passports.  No QR code, no app, no credit card, nothing else.  Our Medallions were provided and we were directed to the port shuttles for transportation to the ship.

For the person who asked about whether or not names had been removed from the door displays, there has been a change, yes.  First name and first initial of surname only.  Note: still not “preferred name” even though that field is still included in the new app.

JourneyView does not include either DMW or SD reservations, but you can see them under Home -> Reserve Dining and then look for the calendar with a heart in it in the upper right corner.

My Shipmates is included now that we’re on the ship.  (I only have one DH traveling with me - his Past Trip doppelgangers apparently decided to stay home this time.)  He is not likely to use the messaging feature between us so I’ll leave that for someone else to check out.

I am still showing as “New to Princess” on the new app but was given my Elite Medallion at check-in, so did not have to have it switched out.  Both of us were Blue in the old app, but DH is Elite in the new app even though I am not. 

Re Shoreside Transactions:  Payment Methods on the new app brings up this message:

”You can manage payment methods only before the start of your journey.  All the charges are added to your default payment method.”  I will go to Guest Services in the next couple of days to make sure our accounts are linked, and also ask for any information about how Shoreside Transactions impact my onboard account.

If there are any other questions, I’ll do my best to get accurate replies.  😊

Edit to add:

I thought I should have mentioned that a) we were already in the Blue Lane having chosen port pick-up for the Medallions, and b) I had removed the Shoreside Transactions authorization several days before we left, so my check-in reverted to incomplete.  That decision did not have any impact on check-in, but if I find it causes dominoes to fall elsewhere, I will certainly post about it here.

I haven’t seen elite-suite lines in any embarkation port since the restart 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, doghog said:

Agree. I'm also interested in hearing about others experiences. Our Cruise isn't until 27 March and we both are in the green lane in the previous app.  

I logged on using the web based laptop version, and screen captured the 'green lane' images for both of us. The old app still shows 'green lane', so next Monday will be the print-date for the cruise tags, which hopefully is still functioning. I am NOT going to enter anything other than a low limit trash card for the 'shoreside' requirement, and then only if absolutely necessary. Still waiting for Princess to add the 'opt out' box to exclude people from the arm-twisting requirement to complete and agree to shoreside transaction credit details.

I had only installed the new app on my old tablet but it continues to crash any time I try to view my dining. I thought they might have issued an update by now but I don't fine one so I just now deleted the thing from my tablet. I suppose I may try it on my phone but there's no hurry.

2 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

Yes, I think that's the case. But what people, myself included, are objecting to is agreeing to have the third party, foreign company store our credit cards. 

Again, I don't see why the third party would be the one, nor needs to be the one, to store the CC to be used.  Princess ought to be the one storing it in their System and all the 3rd party vendor needs is some sort of Medallion identifier for the guest so that when tapped in a store, the vendor 3rd party system knows that the customer/guest is authorized to make a purchase and the purchase details get transmitted to the ship system which can then bill the guest's on-board account (or provided CC).  I don't know that we have definitive info that the 3rd party company actually gets readable credit card numbers, expiry dates, and CVV codes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kamelia said:

Re Shoreside Transactions:  Payment Methods on the new app brings up this message:

”You can manage payment methods only before the start of your journey.  All the charges are added to your default payment method.”  

By this I interpret that PCL is only allowing guests to provide a different CC for Shoreside purchasing up to a point prior to embarkation.  They must have a cut-off date/time to send the information to the Radiqual 3rd party who will be loading it into their system.  IMO, the key record locator will be the Medallion ID code in each case, plus a name match. 

The retailer can see who the guest is when a Medallion is tapped in the store due to the live connection with ship's database.  All the retailer needs to know is if the guest has setup to do payments in this way.  It's the ship that should know which CC to bill.  But IDK if that part is totally correct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Again, I don't see why the third party would be the one, nor needs to be the one, to store the CC to be used.  Princess ought to be the one storing it in their System and all the 3rd party vendor needs is some sort of Medallion identifier for the guest so that when tapped in a store, the vendor 3rd party system knows that the customer/guest is authorized to make a purchase and the purchase details get transmitted to the ship system which can then bill the guest's on-board account (or provided CC).  I don't know that we have definitive info that the 3rd party company actually gets readable credit card numbers, expiry dates, and CVV codes. 

Maybe we don't have definitive info on that, but the fact that it's (at least right now) is a required item to get green lane, it says that we're agreeing to the third party storing the info, and that it asks for full credit card info tells me that the 3rd party company will have that data. Who can tell?

I don't actually have a dog in this fight anymore. Even though I think it's really unlikely that being in the blue lane would slow us down at all since we'll have our medallions, I've followed Thrak's excellent example and filled in that form with a virtual number that I can limit transactions on. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

By this I interpret that PCL is only allowing guests to provide a different CC for Shoreside purchasing up to a point prior to embarkation.  They must have a cut-off date/time to send the information to the Radiqual 3rd party who will be loading it into their system.  IMO, the key record locator will be the Medallion ID code in each case, plus a name match. 

The retailer can see who the guest is when a Medallion is tapped in the store due to the live connection with ship's database.  All the retailer needs to know is if the guest has setup to do payments in this way.  It's the ship that should know which CC to bill.  But IDK if that part is totally correct.

I checked out the "Stored Payment Authorization" and "Terms & Conditions" on the app.  I'm the first to admit that I don't always understand "Legalease" but I attached a bit below of the info they collect.  I'm not sure it "Payment Intent Token" includes the number but it appears they do collect quite a bit of data, including security photo.  Also in the Terms & Conditions, 3.4(b) says something about not taking liability for warranty, refunds, charge backs or disputes but under personal data collected it states they want email, phone to reach out in case of disputes or charge backs.  Do we lose control of disputes with our credit card company directly?

In any case, we are green in the old app and have our medallions for our upcoming cruise and will not be adding a CC for shoreside transactions.

The personal data we collect

We collect personal data about individuals from various sources described below. Where applicable, we indicate whether and why individuals must provide us with personal data, as well as the consequences of failing to do so.

A. Information that we collect when a merchant’s customer interacts with a Radiqal POS

(i) Information that we collect when individuals make a payment

When you make a payment at a merchant using a Radiqal Medallion Pay Point of Sale system (“Radiqal POS”), we collect information about the transaction, which may include personal data. Information about transactions includes the tokenized representation of the payment card used (“Payment Intent Token”), name associated with the payment card, ship or vessel that the card user is currently sailing on “(“Ship Name”), customer photo (“Guest Security Picture”), electronic signature, name and location of the merchant at which the transaction occurred, date and time of the transaction, transaction amount, transaction details, and information about the goods or services purchased in the transaction.

(ii) Additional information merchants’ customers may provide through the Radiqal POS

We may collect additional information, depending on how a merchant configures its Radiqal POS. This information may include:

• Your email address or phone number, for example, to reach out to you in case of disputes or chargebacks, if you choose to receive an electronic receipt or opt-in to receive marketing communications

• Your marketing preferences, such as whether you wish to receive marketing communications or newsletters

• Information about your participation in a merchant’s loyalty program, if offered and if you choose to participate

• Information about your participation in a merchant’s warranty program, if offered and if you choose to participate

• Other information you choose to enter into the Radiqal POS, such as your birthdate, interests or preferences, reviews, and feedback

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

Yes, I think that's the case. But what people, myself included, are objecting to is agreeing to have the third party, foreign company store our credit cards. 

Thanks for the clarification, did not realize there was a 3rd party involved. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 2MellowCruisers said:

Information about transactions includes the tokenized representation of the payment card used (“Payment Intent Token”),

We may or may not be comfortable, but this does not mean the actual CC information folks.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

We may or may not be comfortable, but this does not mean the actual CC information folks.

Thanks!  Haven't seen that term before and didn't know what it actually consists of.

Nowadays, I figure that most personal information is available to many people/companies no matter how much we may try to keep it private.  In this case, I am, to the extent that I can, keeping it between Princess and myself and have no need for shoreside transactions (Radiqal).  I don't think there would be any issues when I check in Sunday but if I encounter any issues, I will come back and post.

• Like 1

So a question to people on the whole Credit Card for Shoreside transactions requirement.  I emailed my CVP and basically was told we will stay Blue Lane if we don't provide although from what she can see we are Green Lane.  It appears our medallions are still ordered ( at least it shows that on the new app) 

The question is has anyone emailed customer relations or even someone above.  Could this just be a software glitch?  I worked in Tax for many years and every new release there were "known problems" that they were trying to fix even though they released the software.  I did email customer relations and I'm hoping that this is the answer.

Here's a fun fact. I'm an authorized user of the CC posted to my DW's shipboard account. On the Old app that information automatically came across and was posted to my Shoreside Payment Method. However, on the new app as we all know it does not show up in the Shoreside Payment Method section.

So, after waiting for this new App's "bug" to be fixed, which it hasn't been yet, I decided to go ahead and add my DW's CC information to the Shoreside Payment Method. Afterall, it would automatically be transferred there anyway if the "bug" didn't exist. As you also probably are aware, the new App asks for a CC number, expiration date, and security code as well as zip code and email address. However, it "assumes" your name is an authorized user of the credit card, which I am not. Guess what? I am now Ready to Sail.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, schooner_Drinker said:

Be aware

It is possible to make CC transactions without a name being correct or even entered in some instances 

Probably why it worked 😉

That's probably true. But her credit card would have transferred over anyway like it did on the old App. It will be interesting to see if this "bug" is fixed on the next update. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, memoak said:

I haven’t seen elite-suite lines in any embarkation port since the restart 

There was an elite line in Ft Lauderdale in Oct for the Regal….nots in Galveston  for the Regal.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mthomp5 said:

Thank you so much for sharing your check-in experience.  I’m curious, how long was the wait in the Blue Lane? Did picking up the medallion at port seem to cause a long wait/line?

Also, that’s terrific to hear they didn’t ask for a credit card or authorization for shoreside.

Enjoy your cruise!

Wait time was not long, BUT please remember this was in Buenos Aires so other ports are likely to be completely different.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, eclue said:

There was an elite line in Ft Lauderdale in Oct for the Regal….nots in Galveston  for the Regal.

Not  in Seattle or Vancouver recently 

8 hours ago, sparky321 said:

Just a thought for anyone that wants to leave a credit card for shore side purchases, you can buy a say $20 master card (gift card) and use that. they look and work just like a credit card and have all the required info like a security code and expiry date. This is what I did and it works for me and if it's a scam it only costs $20.

The cards are only good in the US. 

IMG_8234.jpeg

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

2 hours ago, Dar & Bob said:

So a question to people on the whole Credit Card for Shoreside transactions requirement.  I emailed my CVP and basically was told we will stay Blue Lane if we don't provide although from what she can see we are Green Lane.  It appears our medallions are still ordered ( at least it shows that on the new app) 

The question is has anyone emailed customer relations or even someone above.  Could this just be a software glitch?  I worked in Tax for many years and every new release there were "known problems" that they were trying to fix even though they released the software.  I did email customer relations and I'm hoping that this is the answer.

Thanks for this report.  Medallions on order, but no Shoreside entry.  That means App says Blue Lane, but when you have Medallions, that is Green Lane all the way.

Just FYI- Just got a call from our CVP asking if we had any questions about our upcoming cruise.  Just mentioned that the new app requires the shoreside transaction credit card.  I just let her know we have our medallions and have no interest in the shoreside part.  She said we will be fine and they have been getting questions regarding the requirement and have submitted requests to have this fixed.  No real details from her and I didn't press, but at least I know from the call that they are also submitting requests to have it taken care of.  Hopefully Princess will update the app to either require or decline this part.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

With cruise cards you never had the problem of providing personal info to Radiqal, LLC.  Another reason to go back.

It's up to the individual to interpret the seriousness of the statement made above.

• Like 1

Questions for the community -

Our last cruise on Princess was Nov 2022. 

I have since uninstalled the Medallion app from my Android phone.  DH never wants to use the app and he never has the app installed on his phone. 

So now we booked a Sky Princess TATL sailing on March 9. I guess I would need to download either the Medallion App or this new App.

My recollection is, I was not able to log in the app using the website credentials - the only way to make the App worked was to use Booking reference.  Since we only have 1 booking, so this is not an issue to us unlike many of you who have multiple bookings to manage.

1)  Should I just download the current App and completely forget about the old Medallion App?

2)  I remember in Nov 2022 we could only make internet purchase thru the App, and at that time that was the only way to ensure elite discount.  Now since whether you buy internet package ahead of sailing or buy it when onboard (or even go day by day as TATL connection often is awful for days on end, plus we dont need to access the net everyday),  you still get the elite discount.  There is no extra discount for buying ahead.  Then I dont really need to worry about the App working or not, correct?

That is of course we dont need to make dining reservation before sailing.

3) What else I need to know about stuff that can only be handled by the App?

4) ANY other matters on the App I forget about or have no idea about,  PLEASE chime in. I need your helps!

Thanks A Lot!

I called the Ocean Medallion and the woman helping me removed my CC information from Shoreside and added it to Shipboard. I told her that I did not want any of my information to be listed on the Shipboard tab. I am Blue Lane but I’m ok with that.

Oh, and I was asked how would I like to be upgraded for my birthday from Princess Plus to Princess Premier. She then told me all the great things that would happen. When I asked her, if Princess was going to do that for me, she said no it would cost me $20 more per day. So I said… I’m supposed to purchase my own birthday present? Ha ha, no thank you .

• Haha 8