The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday, January 1st, 2024 - Happy New Year!

kazu

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

They burned me twice last year when I sent the boys their birthday gifts, only to have them arrive many days past the celebration day. 

Canada Post does not have a monopoly in this. In the 1970s, I mailed a tin of cookies to my mother for her birthday. They were going from Indiana to Ohio (adjacent states). The tin was in the mail for five weeks. She thought they were the worst chocolate-chip cookies she had ever tasted. They were actually pumpkin spice (her birthday was in November) with raisins.

• Like 4
  • Haha 16

Good afternoon.  At our final destination other than a transfer to the Eurodam. We are at the Renaissance on 17th Street.  Our whole trip was just what we wanted, uneventful with no rerouting off the highway and no backups.  We tried to find a sports bar but my phone's homing took us to my favorite Fort Lauderdale restaurant Kelly's Landing.  After spending a lot of time visiting New England fried Ipswich clams are something I always look for.  We both had clam chowder and I had the clams, John had lobster grilled cheese.  Now we are kicking back watching the Michigan Alabama game, Go Blue!  Have a nice evening!  Nancy 

IMG_20240101_143111666.jpg

IMG_20240101_143100637.jpg

IMG_20240101_174009737_HDR.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good chilly evening and Happy New Year to all my “family “here on the best forum in crusing.

I had hot dogs cooked in sauerkraut for dinner tonight. 
I looked at the Juneau webcam and there is no snow on the ground today. There is a possibility for a weekend storm for the east coast this weekend. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 17

Good afternoon.  Finally, all the Christmas decorations, lights and trees are stored until next November when they will again make an appearance.   In addition to the 7 1/2 foot tree that takes up a lot of room, but looks great, we have a small 2 foot tree that we got on close out when Robinson May stores closed. We used it in the motorhome before we put the house on the lot.  I decided to keep it, and it sits on the end of the kitchen bar.  It is decorated with bells and red and green yarn bows.  Originally, it had clear lights, but when the quit working, I replaced them with multi-colored lights.  I think we are on the third or fourth generation of lights.  It's full but could almost be a Charlie Brown tree since it is lopsided and no amount of straightening helps.  We keep if because of the memories of Christmas in the motorhome.

3 hours ago, superoma said:

Got it! Will try it on a few friends

Eva, I'm glad you got it.  It will be interesting to see how many people get it.

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Got it!!  The second half was hard but the old brain finally figured it out!  Thanks for that meme!  I'm glad you liked the photos today.  I've enjoyed yours and all the others of Osaka too.  (Tony, Brenda, ?  Hope I haven't forgotten some!)  I thought today's history facts were pretty good ones, too.  Every day there's something going on somewhere that can change the world.

Sandi, I'm glad you got it.  The first part is easy, but it took a bit to get the second half.  I figured after the holidays and all the food, we needed to challenge our brains.  I used to do Swedish weaving on monks cloth and stitching the ends to prevent raveling, sorting the tread and finding the center.  Once I missed the center and the afghan did not match it's mate.  I also did crewel embroidery and used a frame similar to yours.  I'm glad you liked the photos.  

2 hours ago, tjcox9 said:

The Polar Plunge is done right off the tender/zodiac platform and each participant is tethered. They are doing this also on the Venture and Pursuit which are in Antarctica currently. I saw a photo last week of one participant who donned a onesie type of penguin outfit for the event!

And yes, we like the Quest. We've only done the three small ones, haven't ventured onto the newer, larger ones yet.

Polar Plunge (1).JPG

Polar Plunge (4).JPG

Just looking at the pictures made me cold.  We swam across the Arctic Circle on Rotterdam VI, but they heated the sea view pool.  That made it seem even colder when we got out of the pool.

2 hours ago, kochleffel said:

Canada Post does not have a monopoly in this. In the 1970s, I mailed a tin of cookies to my mother for her birthday. They were going from Indiana to Ohio (adjacent states). The tin was in the mail for five weeks. She thought they were the worst chocolate-chip cookies she had ever tasted. They were actually pumpkin spice (her birthday was in November) with raisins.

Paul, I think all postal systems have their problems.  We've had our mail from Texas to Quartzsite take a detour to Florida, and packages wander around the country.

1 hour ago, ottahand7 said:

Good afternoon.  At our final destination other than a transfer to the Eurodam. We are at the Renaissance on 17th Street.  Our whole trip was just what we wanted, uneventful with no rerouting off the highway and no backups.  We tried to find a sports bar but my phone's homing took us to my favorite Fort Lauderdale restaurant Kelly's Landing.  After spending a lot of time visiting New England fried Ipswich clams are something I always look for.  We both had clam chowder and I had the clams, John had lobster grilled cheese.  Now we are kicking back watching the Michigan Alabama game, Go Blue!  Have a nice evening!  Nancy 

Susan, those clams look wonderful.  It's been too long since I've had good fried clams.  We'll be watching the Texas v Washington game.  I read this week that Bevo, the Longhorn mascot now has a new little sister.  In honor of the game tonight, she was named Sugar.  That doesn't seem like a name for a longhorn, but it's fitting anyway.

I better go take my shower and start dinner.

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, I got it as well.  

I do have my t-shirt on under the hernia girdle.  The girdle does provide support, but it still is uncomfortable even with the t-shirt.  I'll be happy when I don't have to wear it.  The surgeon said three weeks.  I'm halfway through the first one!  

I have done some cross stitch and enjoyed it, but my hands lock up when doing work like that.  My grandmother did a needlepoint back and seat for a chair that once belonged to her parents.  That was back when I was in college.  We had it recovered and it is now in our living room with the needlepoint still looking good!  Grandma would be happy.IMG_3064.thumb.jpg.e398ea553160240e15ed558b26701ea8.jpg

• Like 20

12 minutes ago, dfish said:

I do have my t-shirt on under the hernia girdle.  The girdle does provide support, but it still is uncomfortable even with the t-shirt.  I'll be happy when I don't have to wear it.  The surgeon said three weeks.  I'm halfway through the first one!  

I have done some cross stitch and enjoyed it, but my hands lock up when doing work like that.  My grandmother did a needlepoint back and seat for a chair that once belonged to her parents.  That was back when I was in college.  We had it recovered and it is now in our living room with the needlepoint still looking good!  Grandma would be happy.IMG_3064.thumb.jpg.e398ea553160240e15ed558b26701ea8.jpg

Debbie I love your Grandmother’s needlepoint. I have some my Grandmother did, but just on a small stool not a chair. 

6 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Hi from San Diego. Cruising Sister, CruiserCL and Durangoscots!IMG_1764.thumb.jpeg.c5c230fd3784f8124ae47aa5be986142.jpeg

See you soon ladies!

• Like 11

26 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Yes, GO BLUE!  Two great teams but I gotta go with my heart.❤️

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, dfish said:

She would be so proud!  Beautiful work.  I love florals.

13 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Hi from San Diego. Cruising Sister, CruiserCL and Durangoscots!IMG_1764.thumb.jpeg.c5c230fd3784f8124ae47aa5be986142.jpeg

Awesome!

10 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

We are now settled into our airport hotel, and will be getting dinner delivered from Ivar’s. 
Thank goodness our flight in the morning is only 3 hours long — easy-peasy!

IMG_1462.thumb.jpeg.16b05d79c73143f9955736451ae4f9d5.jpeg

Safe travels!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Yes, GO BLUE!  Two great teams but I gotta go with my heart.❤️

I have two ladies from Michigan and one alumni pharmacist so I’m fine with the results.

• Like 5

Thanks for all the anniversary wishes!   It is hard to believe it has been 47 years!

We picked up a rental car today to do a one way drive to Fort Lauderdale fairly early tomorrow!  Then we board the Zuiderdam Wednesday!  I enjoyed photos from Japan since that is scheduled to be a stop.

happy 2024!

• Like 12

Congratulations to the Washington Huskies.  It was a nail biter literally to the last second.  Unfortunately, the Horns didn't play their best during a good bit of the game.  Since there are Dailyite fans of both teams heading to the National Championship game next Monday, I will not publically pick a team.  UT can still be proud of their season, the best one in years.

8 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser, Lenda, I looked at it at lunchtime and again right now and I “got it”! Very clever.

@dfish, Debbie, I am sure by now you have a nice soft tee under the brace!It sounds as if things are improving and I am so glad. And now I will nag you not to lift until it is safe!
All of the pictures and prose today have been so good to see. Thanks to all.

Terri, I'm glad you got it.  I widh I could think up clever things like that.

5 hours ago, dfish said:

Debbie, good for you for getting it.  While wearing a t-shirt under his back brace helped some, DH still found it uncomfortable.  He was supposed to wear it 24/7 except in the shower for two months post op.  However, the nurses in the hospital and rehab told him he didn't need it when he was lying down.  At the two month post op visit, he showed great restraint, and didn't take it off in the doctor's office after he was told he no longer needed to wear the brace.  Not only would your grandmother be happy her needle point is still gracing a chair, I bet she'd be surprised.

5 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Great picture.  Glad you could get together before the cruise.

5 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

We are now settled into our airport hotel, and will be getting dinner delivered from Ivar’s. 

Safe travels tomorroe, Carolyn.

2 hours ago, Cat in my lap said:

Thanks for all the anniversary wishes!   It is hard to believe it has been 47 years!

We picked up a rental car today to do a one way drive to Fort Lauderdale fairly early tomorrow!  Then we board the Zuiderdam Wednesday!  I enjoyed photos from Japan since that is scheduled to be a stop.

happy 2024!

Safe travels tomorrow, and enjoy your cruise.

Lenda

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Cat in my lap said:

Safe travels toy ou both 🙂 

11 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Safe travels to you both 🙂 

11 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Great pic!  Nice to see you all 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• LauraS locked this topic