S Class - On the hump or sunset veranda?

lorimay

We're moving our 2024 cruise to a 2025 itinerary on the Eclipse. The ship inventory is pretty wide open. For those of you who have done a lot of S class sailings, would you choose a veranda on the bump or would you choose a sunset veranda? Thanks for your thoughts.

I would do a Deluxe veranda on the slant, larger balcony and close to elevators and stairways.  We’re doing a B2B on the Eclipse this fall and that is hat we booked.

• Like 3

That's a tough question.

-Depends on the health of the passengers.

-Can you/they do the long walk to the front of the ship?

-Do you/they need/want to be close to the elevators?

-How about the price difference?

-(LOL) If your balcony on the hump is facing the front of the ship, you can wave to the Captain, plus, it's easy to hear what's " going on " on the balcony next door.

One time while we were on our balcony the occupants next to ours took the term " hump " ---- enough said. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Having done the hump and now recently finally did SV on Reflection, I will be going back to a stateroom along the side.  I realize, that while the wake was awesome, I really love to see more than just the rear view when sailing.  I also prefer staterooms on the starboard (right) side of the ship because I love watching the motion when arriving and leaving a port dock.  The people coming and going, mooring the ship, I find it all entertaining.

I can now finally say I've sailed in an aft but I will take a hump veranda over the SV. Isn't it nice to have options, though sometimes choices can make one crazy 😉

image.thumb.jpeg.9fc4593bc8374a1d72bc1c14cbcaa639.jpeg

Edited by poffles

Hump or bump veranda for us as well. Love wake views, but for a whole cruise I will take the side view and closer elevators/stairs. . I can get an aft view from the Sunset bar or the back of the OVC.

Try and book the first cabin on the hump the balconies are huge, if we can afford it the corner sky suites on the S class are amazing but I would be more than happy with the hump cabins.

There are also som cabins such as 1552 (Aqua) which also have huge balconies

Done both Hump & SV I know SV cabins are popular but we prefer to look  down at the ocean instead of the wake ahead. We also prefer the option of shade on the balcony - the SV has very little shade

• Like 2

Have done both and on the s class like the hump better. On m class is SV but I find the SV on the s class to be too small and too wide open. Also the sunset bar on the s class is a good substitute for the SV balcony. I spend a lot of time there.

We have done the slant and really liked it because it gives us more shade and is closer to stairs and elvators.  The SV sounds appealing but between the lack of shade and the long walk we will stick with the slant/hump

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lorimay said:

We're moving our 2024 cruise to a 2025 itinerary on the Eclipse. The ship inventory is pretty wide open. For those of you who have done a lot of S class sailings, would you choose a veranda on the bump or would you choose a sunset veranda? Thanks for your thoughts.

We like Solstice class ships very much and we are currently finishing a cruise on Solstice.  My vote goes to getting a cabin on the hump.  We like aft cabins in general, but the ones on Solstice class are very exposed and can get hot.

image.thumb.jpeg.82517bdf0c549316738247866b599600.jpeg

Solstice docked at Halong Bay, Vietnam on Jan 1 2024!

We prefer the SV verandas. Definitely get our steps in.   We have had a corner Sky Suite but prefer to be one over as the corner has a pole in it.   We just finished a cruise and we’re on the hump for the third segment.  We really enjoyed that balcony as well. It was shady with the overhang.

I would always choose a hump except for an July/August Caribbean/Med cruise.  When cruising resumed in July 2021, I booked my usual hump (first behind the hump) on the Eclipse and it was too hot to use.  The metal walls absorbed the reeeally oppressive heat and radiated it back well into the evening.  Changed my cabin to one ON the hump on following cruise which allowed better air flow and was cooler.  However, lesson learned - I won't be cruising Med/Caribbean in any cabin mid-Summer ever again. 🥵

• Like 1

We always prefer the rear angled portion of the hump. We try for the 1st and 3rd bigger balconies. Great central location, mid ship for those of us who don't love motion. We get plenty of walking in even there because we are usually in the Sky lounge until late evening.

I’ve been in many of the angled hump balcony cabins. I loved the size of the balcony, the shade, and the ability to be well under cover if it was raining. What I’m not crazy about is the limited view. Next month I’m trying a cabin on the flat portion of the hump. 

As to which I prefer, I’ve only done an aft on deck 12 because it offers some privacy and extra cover. I believe those are all Sky Suites though, so I’d choose the hump.