Pre cruise hotel in New York suggestions

We are flying into New York. Which airport is most convenient to the cruise terminal and what is a good hotel suggestion?  We are just there for one night so no sightseeing.  Just get there, sleep and get on the Queen Mary 2. Thanks. 

• Like 1

Laguardia LGA or JFK airports are both the closest to the Brooklyn cruise Terminal.
EWR Newark is in New Jersey and not really suitable for your needs. 

There are quite a few local hotels in the area - Booking dot com may be useful for you,

and the Hotel Le Blue looks rather nice.....hotel le blue cruise package

The immediate area around the terminal isn't that fruitful for hotels, but as you get nearer to downtown Brooklyn then all the major hotel chains are represented - so these will be 1.5 miles form the terminal and an easy and inexpensive taxi ride away with some public transport options too (mainly bus though). I have stayed at the Hilton Brooklyn which did the job, but there are plenty of alternatives running alongside each other.

I am not a great fan of using taxis in somewhere like New York, so my preferred tactics in your scenario would be to use JFK (since LGA isn't connected to the subway), take the A line via Howard Beach - that's slower than the usual Jamaica routing - and then to Fulton Street Manhattan. This is close to Wall Street Pier 11 and so next day there is a $4 easy ferry ride from there to Red Hook, the Brooklyn ferry pier is right next to the Cruise Terminal door.  There are many relatively inexpensive hotels between Bowling Green and the Fulton St subway stop, I've stayed at the Doubletree and Hilton Garden Inn there, but there are many others to choose from.

EWR isn't my favourite airport, but from Newark Penn Station (not to be confused with Manhattan Penn Station) there is the high speed PATH service to the World Trade Center. Newark Penn Station is on the Airtrain + NJ Transit service. I would stay at the Conrad since it's a high quality hotel in a safe and pleasant spot, but then it's bit too far to walk to the ferry pier the next day. So instead you could go in the other direction from that WTC station towards the Wall Street hotels rather than the Conrad and choose a hotel in the lower Manhattan area. See previous paragraph.

@Pushpit  is spot on.
I always recommend to stay in a Downtown Brooklyn hotel. A quick Uber/car service ride to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal and right on top of every subway line to visit Manhattan.  Others have recommended the Marriott Downtown Brooklyn too. Newark airport adds complexity. I lived in Brooklyn for many years and often visit there often and work in Manhattan and know the NYC area pretty well. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

Don't dismiss EWR . It is a lot closer than you may think .

Especially if the flight choices and fares give EWR an advantage.

Check all 3 airports.

That’s a good point and indeed check out all three airports but a traveler should factor in a potential 30-45 minute wait to cross the Hudson River via the Holland tunnel (and additional toll$ on the New Jersey Turnpike and Tunnel) then driving through lower Manhattan then crossing the East River via the no-toll Brooklyn Bridge or paying another toll for the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. The traffic on the Brooklyn Bridge could add another 20-30 minutes during busy hours. Plus, if someone wants to arrive a few days early and spend time to tour around Manhattan, either lower Manhattan or Downtown Brooklyn is more convenient than staying in Newark. 

There are a number of reasonably priced hotels and places to eat  in downtown Manhattan (easy to get to from either LGA or JFK) and just a few minutes walk/ferry ride to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.   There are few hotels in Brooklyn convenient to the terminal.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

We enjoyed our stay at Ink48.  Very close to Manhattan cruise terminal.  We ended up just rolling our luggage over day of embarkation.

I think the OP is referencing the Brooklyn cruise terminal.

We have just returned from the Christmas/ New Year  Caribbean Celebration.We flew to and returned from JFK.We stayed at and can throughly recommend Hilton Hampton Inn Downtown Brooklyn.Very comfortable,good breakfast and not far in a taxi to the cruise terminal.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Millieloulou said:

We have just returned from the Christmas/ New Year  Caribbean Celebration.We flew to and returned from JFK.We stayed at and can throughly recommend Hilton Hampton Inn Downtown Brooklyn.Very comfortable,good breakfast and not far in a taxi to the cruise terminal.

I’m glad you stayed there and can attest that it was good. 

OP, either LGA or JFK is best for Brooklyn. Queens is right next to Brooklyn. No bridges or tunnels or State Lines to cross. If you wanted to sight see in Manhattan then a Manhattan hotel would make sense. 

On 1/4/2024 at 8:37 AM, NE John said:

@Pushpit  is spot on.
I always recommend to stay in a Downtown Brooklyn hotel. A quick Uber/car service ride to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal and right on top of every subway line to visit Manhattan.  Others have recommended the Marriott Downtown Brooklyn too. Newark airport adds complexity. I lived in Brooklyn for many years and often visit there often and work in Manhattan and know the NYC area pretty well. 

I agree .I lived in Brooklyn 60 years and in my opinion this is the best option.

On 1/4/2024 at 9:52 AM, navybankerteacher said:

There are a number of reasonably priced hotels and places to eat  in downtown Manhattan (easy to get to from either LGA or JFK) and just a few minutes walk/ferry ride to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.   There are few hotels in Brooklyn convenient to the terminal.

While I do prefer midtown, there are a few hotels and lots of restaurants choices in downtown wall st  area , everything from lots of pubs to Delmonicos , plus you can walk past or go to the 9/11 memorial. Brooklyn pier is a short taxi or Uber across the Brooklyn bridge. 

4 hours ago, George C said:

While I do prefer midtown, there are a few hotels and lots of restaurants choices in downtown wall st  area , everything from lots of pubs to Delmonicos , plus you can walk past or go to the 9/11 memorial. Brooklyn pier is a short taxi or Uber across the Brooklyn bridge. 

And an as short (or even shorter) ferry ride across the river to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal for a much lower cost.

• Like 1