The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday, January 5th, 2024

kazu

Sandi, thank you for the photos of South Georgia Island.  What an experience! 

Lenda, I love the last cartoon.  I tell my doctor I drink only one glass per day.  🍷Here is what will be in our glasses until it's gone.  New wine list with no Meomi wine.  😿

IMG_20240105_124452001.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and Happy Friday from chilly Tucson. 

I like most birds but the pigeons and doves are messy, especially when they frolic in our pool fountain.  We’ve seen more roadrunners this year than usual.  My favorite are cardinals but I haven’t seen any this year. We also have lots of hummingbirds. There is a well known hummingbird sanctuary and nature preserve southeast of us called Ramsey Canyon run by the Nature Conservatory. They even have a webcam https://video.nest.com/live/wPniJlgcTA 

We actually stayed there once back in the 90’s and enjoyed it very much. 

I think we’re having pizza today so will pass on the meal suggestion. I bought the dough this time so it will be an easy meal. 

Bruce & Sue @aliaschief @DWAliaschief, Bon Voyage!  Enjoy your special cruise. 

Pennie @Nickelpenny, welcome home!  Glad you finally found your car!

Joy @Seasick Sailor, how are you and Allen doing?  Still enjoying the cruise?

Sandi @StLouisCruisers, I’ve been enjoying your cruise report. I remember reading it before but don’t remember the part about you actually being on South Georgia Island the same day Shackleton died. How touching that must have been. I think I’m reading his tombstone correctly, he was so young when he died, 48?  Wow. I read the book years ago and couldn’t put it down thinking about everything that they went through. 

Nancy @ottahand7, I love HAL’s chili rellenos too. I’m enjoying your cruise report and hope you both have a great time. Did you find out the name of the Sauvignon Blanc that you didn’t like?

Ann @cat shepard, I don’t comment on the wine very often but this one sounds wonderful. Thank you for always taking the time researching the wines. 

Dixie @summer slope, the drink sounds really good. I’m not a big cocktail drinker but this one sounds refreshing. However, I’d probably not buy strawberry vodka just for one drink. I’m sure muddled strawberries would work. 

@seagarsmoker, good to hear you are feeling better. Any word about your job search?

Blue is wondering why I haven’t made his lunch yet. 🐕

Have a great day!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I like most birds but the pigeons and doves are messy, especially when they frolic in our pool fountain.  We’ve seen more roadrunners this year than usual.  My favorite are cardinals but I haven’t seen any this year. We also have lots of hummingbirds. There is a well known hummingbird sanctuary and nature preserve southeast of us called Ramsey Canyon run by the Nature Conservatory. They even have a webcam https://video.nest.com/live/wPniJlgcTA 

I think we’re having pizza today so will pass on the meal suggestion. I bought the dough this time so it will be an easy meal. 

Sandi @StLouisCruisers, I’ve been enjoying your cruise report. I remember reading it before but don’t remember the part about you actually being on South Georgia Island the same day Shackleton died. How touching that must have been. I think I’m reading his tombstone correctly, he was so young when he died, 48?  Wow. I read the book years ago and couldn’t put it down thinking about everything that they went through. 

Nancy @ottahand7, I love HAL’s chili rellenos too. I’m enjoying your cruise report and hope you both have a great time. Did you find out the name of the Sauvignon Blanc that you didn’t like?

Ann @cat shepard, I don’t comment on the wine very often but this one sounds wonderful. Thank you for always taking the time researching the wines. 

Dixie @summer slope, the drink sounds really good. I’m not a big cocktail drinker but this one sounds refreshing. However, I’d probably not buy strawberry vodka just for one drink. I’m sure muddled strawberries would work. 

@seagarsmoker, good to hear you are feeling better. Any word about your job search?

Have a great day!

I had an interview for an open position yesterday and it sounded like I am a finalist for the last round of 3 which will be in a couple of weeks.  Thanks for asking. 

• Like 21

Good afternoon.  Our beautiful sunny morning turned into a gray, cloudy day shortly after I posted this morning.  We still went into town for a drive thru breakfast at Carl's Jr. and a stop at the post office.  We had not been back home but just a few minutes when I got a text that my prescriptions were ready.  Talk about fast service, that was less than 24 hours since I called.  We headed to Blyth to pick them up, and decided to drive around town for a bit.  In the past two years, they have cleaned up the town, and it has never looked better even though the medium income is still low.

4 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning,

Thank you all for your contributions to the Daily.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Terri

Terri, I was sorry to read your post from yesterday that the past couple of days had been rough.  I hope today is a better day.

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning from the Volendam!

What a difference a day makes. After a wild first night out of San Diego, last night was perfect. I slept 11 hours (perfect rolling for sleep). The crew was even exclaiming over the first night. Many of us had bags under our eyes. I felt so sorry for the crew who had to get up and go to work. 

We had a large turnout at our M&G in spite of that, it was nice to put faces to names! And the Block Party was so much fun. There are a few other CCrs near our cabin. 

Today is a Mariner reception, Captain’s Welcome and our first Dressy night. We are getting things put away in our cabin but it will take awhile. I brought too much LOL!

Loving the cruise!

Carolyn, I'm glad the seas have calmed down and are treating you and the crew better.  I'm glad you are enjoying the cruise.

2 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! We are on a rare not- at- sea vacation in Puerto Vallarta, and my pictures from Sharm el Sheikh are not with me. I don’t think this winter’s GWV is stopping there after all. 
Today is packing up and heading home. It will feel cold, but a week from now the temperatures drop into the negative double digits, so our timing is lucky.

Happy Friday, everyone! Bon voyage to those setting out on new adventures. Prayers for those in pain, grief, or difficulty. My schedule has changed and I’m not often on early enough in the day to comment, but I still lurk and read later in the day!

Safe travels home today.  

23 minutes ago, seagarsmoker said:

I had an interview for an open position yesterday and it sounded like I am a finalist for the last round of 3 which will be in a couple of weeks.  Thanks for asking. 

Thanks for the update on the job search, and that you are a candidate for the final round of interviews.  I hope they offer you the job.

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Today an older Posting popped up about Big Band transatlantic crossings , so I added my 2 cents worth which I would also like to share here with our Daily Friends …………..

I believe this might have been the very last time with HAL that on a Transatlantic  Cruise we had a Big Band on board . We happened to be on the Oosterdam from Florida to Rome in March of 2016  and we had the extreme pleasure to be serenaded almost every day by the Harry James band  ( 16 members ) under the direction of Fred Radke . This had been advertised on HAL which attracted a good number of cruisers and there were also a large number of  fantastic dancing couples on board ship and on the dance floor in the crows nest ! 
The Harry James Band were also a couple of evenings the Entertainment on the Main Stage ! 

image.thumb.jpeg.6aca4d7b13613a67e90192fb677d86c4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.dbffd479e17e90bfd492207f070d10c7.jpeg

We also happened to receive our Silver medals from Captain Michiel Willems on that cruise 

image.thumb.jpeg.6e559ef1e72fac6ae6e0b744902a43a6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c63097bfe18becb6bb9e926fa47e8f2c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.924c953bc24516244d8a89548d1303d8.jpeg

Fred’s wife was the singer at the time in the Harry James Band 

image.thumb.jpeg.0d434e6a58bcd5bf626124a64e162693.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8fd86ee9729a0117fdabb3532fd7e47f.jpeg

A fantastic crossing was had by all ..........very nostalgic ! 
Tony 😍
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, seagarsmoker said:

May I ask what type of work you do? I meant to ask when you told us about losing your job; I feel so bad I didn't ask and appreciate you updating us on your status. 

We are a large international company with both on-site and remote positions with openings for a wide range of skillsets and experience, so if this doesn't go in your favor, I'd be happy to see what postings we have.

• Like 15

10 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

May I ask what type of work you do? I meant to ask when you told us about losing your job; I feel so bad I didn't ask and appreciate you updating us on your status. 

We are a large international company with both on-site and remote positions with openings for a wide range of skillsets and experience, so if this doesn't go in your favor, I'd be happy to see what postings we have.

My email is JBROWN323@OUTLOOK.COM 

I have worked in information technology for over forty years.  Started in DP, then as a programmer.  Most recently as a Product Manager.  Most of my skills are technical and business analysis and IV&V.  

Thanks for post and appreciate everyone's hopeful messages. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, seagarsmoker said:

My email is JBROWN323@OUTLOOK.COM 

I have worked in information technology for over forty years.  Started in DP, then as a programmer.  Most recently as a Product Manager.  Most of my skills are technical and business analysis and IV&V.  

Thanks for post and appreciate everyone's hopeful messages. 

I will email you from my work email once I'm back (disembark tomorrow); although I'm rooting for you on this one.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'm not a birder, but like birds if they leave my car alone! I've done low carb, but not keto. I'm glad screenwriters are back at work. Good quote. Pass on the meal (fish), and wine. The drink looks ok. I have not been to Egypt. Interesting days in history.

It's 35F and partly sunny. They're predicting 2"-5" of snow over the weekend. It's been a good news, bad news day. The good is that I think due to all the Benadryl I slept 5 hours last night! Then fell back asleep at 9AM and slept another hour. I feel so much better today with some decent sleep. I went to PT, then to pick up some prescriptions. Unfortunately the pharmacy closes from 1:30 to 2. I wasn't going to make another trip, so I sat in the parking lot for 15 minutes. When I got home I called the imaging scheduling regarding the spine injection procedure. The lady who answered was nice but couldn't find any paperwork. 😠 She put me on hold and looked all over. So she also gave me the doctor's fax number and I had to call Neurosurgery late this Friday afternoon, and have the requisition refaxed to both scheduling and the radiologist's office. She even called me back to say both faxes went through. So did I just waste 10 days thinking things were proceeding? 

@aliaschief and @DWAliaschief Bon Voyage!

@Crazy For Cats Tucker is very handsome.

@ottahand7 Nice to see you two and your meals.

@seagarsmoker I'm glad you're continuing to feel better. Good luck with the job situation.

@StLouisCruisers Great photos. I'm jealous you got to go to South Georgia Island. Very sad about the slain officer. 

@smitty34877 I hope your day was better today. Prayers for you and Tana.

@marshhawk No coffee is a true emergency! Sorry you can't monitor your blood sugar, and I'm sure your Endocrinologist won't be happy. But maybe your A1C will help tell how you're doing.

@Horizon chaser 1957 Safe travels home.

@bennybear That's a great owl photo.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to those with something to Celebrate.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 6

13 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Do you know if he will still be on at the end of the month 

I believe he will be. From the Ask the Captain chat the other day, he sounded as if he thought he would be here a while.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

I believe he will be. From the Ask the Captain chat the other day, he sounded as if he thought he would be here a while.

Thank you so much. I make a personalized gift for the captain of each of the cruises I go on, and it’s nice to know ahead of time so I can get it started. Again, thank you so much.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Have a great day!

I've enjoyed reading about his exploration too.  Incredibly difficult journey and unbelievable (almost!) that no crewmembers died.  I believe he passed shortly before his 48th birthday which I agree is very young.

27 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I'm not a birder, but like birds if they leave my car alone! I've done low carb, but not keto. I'm glad screenwriters are back at work. Good quote. Pass on the meal (fish), and wine. The drink looks ok. I have not been to Egypt. Interesting days in history.

It's 35F and partly sunny. They're predicting 2"-5" of snow over the weekend. It's been a good news, bad news day. The good is that I think due to all the Benadryl I slept 5 hours last night! Then fell back asleep at 9AM and slept another hour. I feel so much better today with some decent sleep. I went to PT, then to pick up some prescriptions. Unfortunately the pharmacy closes from 1:30 to 2. I wasn't going to make another trip, so I sat in the parking lot for 15 minutes. When I got home I called the imaging scheduling regarding the spine injection procedure. The lady who answered was nice but couldn't find any paperwork. 😠 She put me on hold and looked all over. So she also gave me the doctor's fax number and I had to call Neurosurgery late this Friday afternoon, and have the requisition refaxed to both scheduling and the radiologist's office. She even called me back to say both faxes went through. So did I just waste 10 days thinking things were proceeding? 

@seagarsmoker I'm glad you're continuing to feel better. Good luck with the job situation.

@StLouisCruisers Great photos. I'm jealous you got to go to South Georgia Island. Very sad about the slain officer. 

@marshhawk No coffee is a true emergency! Sorry you can't monitor your blood sugar, and I'm sure your Endocrinologist won't be happy. But maybe your A1C will help tell how you're doing.

I'm pretty sure South Georgia Island was only included on the Christmas-New Year's cruise.  The remainder of the cruises to Antarctica during the season went to the Falklands.  We've been to the Falklands three times and know that the cruises to South Georgia Island are rarer.  It was worth missing Christmas at home with family that one time.

Amazing what 5 to 6 hours of sleep can do.  I hope that continues!  I'm really sorry to hear about the miscommunications with your paperwork.  No excuse for that kind of mix-up really but it happens way too often.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Thank you so much. I make a personalized gift for the captain of each of the cruises I go on, and it’s nice to know ahead of time so I can get it started. Again, thank you so much.

That's incredibly sweet and thoughtful.  I'm sure they appreciate them.

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I'm pretty sure South Georgia Island was only included on the Christmas-New Year's cruise.  The remainder of the cruises to Antarctica during the season went to the Falklands.  We've been to the Falklands three times and know that the cruises to South Georgia Island are rarer.  It was worth missing Christmas at home with family that one time.

Amazing what 5 to 6 hours of sleep can do.  I hope that continues!  I'm really sorry to hear about the miscommunications with your paperwork.  No excuse for that kind of mix-up really but it happens way too often.

Sandi, my Antarctica cruise on the Zaandam was a Christmas-New Year's cruise in 2018/19, but we went to the Falklands. I'd be game to go again!

• Like 8

1 minute ago, JazzyV said:

Sandi, my Antarctica cruise on the Zaandam was a Christmas-New Year's cruise in 2018/19, but we went to the Falklands. I'd be game to go again!

Come with us on the Oosterdam next year.  We go from January 6-28.  

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I should have clarified.  Before they went to expedition style ships for Antarctica, Seabourn only had South Georgia Island on the Christmas-New Years cruise.  The ones before and after our cruise went to Falklands instead.  Now I'm not sure how often they go to South Georgia Island.  The expedition style ships that have come out in the past few years, carry fewer passengers than Quest did and getting to be extremely expensive cruises.  Out of most of our reaches.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Vanessa, that is good news about more sleep.  Have you considered taking Benadryl to help you sleep on the nights you don't take it for the injection?  I doubt it would do any harm on a short term basis.  I'm glad you called about the spine injection procedure.  It's sad that things fall through the cracks and no one double checks on things, but just assumes all is well.  I hope they can get it scheduled soon and make it a priority after the mix-up.

I just looked out the window, and our clouds have disappeared.  I'm not sure how long that will last, but I'll enjoy the sun while I can.

Lenda

• Like 10

Good afternoon, 

It's a gloomy day in the Pacific Northwest. It's trying to rain and we've got a wind advisory for later this afternoon and into tomorrow. It gets better for a few days and then, by Tuesday or Wednesday, it goes downhill. 

The current long-range forecast has that white stuff, otherwise known as snow, predicted starting Wednesday with lows in the teens, highs not even to 30 and up to 17 inches of snow. I'm so hoping the long-range prediction is wrong! I'm not a snow driver so if this is what materializes then I'll be staying home! 

Today was out and about to do a few errands (Costco and Fred Meyer) and now it's time to watch @aliaschief and @DWAliaschief leave on their adventure. 

Karen

• Like 16