interesting thought

my ist cruise is this April , only decided less the 8 months ago  we are doing it

8 months ago   i said any coin in my pocket by sleep time will pay for cruise and land days 

saved alot of $1's,$2's and 50 cent pieces from then .

i have paid  for 2 passengers +land accom   since doing that   $3000 worth

my wife she thought i was kidding her  when i said i brought home coin from the pub or golf

any coin that was in my pocket at bed time entered  the 1st cruise 

i can gladly say my change from the pub has paid for cruise 
and more (spending money i wish , but working on it )

what i would do is pay notes to the bar person any coin in change goes to pocket and doesnt get re used 

over time and quick mind you if your with drinkers  like i drink with lol

our 1st cruise is 5 days  and we have 2 days either side  all paid by my drinking habit lol

we only now need to get spending money  for 10 days 

easy peasy   now   

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Well done.  This wouldn’t work for us simply because we don’t use cash anymore.  Tap our cards for everything.  It’s got  to the point that I am going to have to put a $2 coin in several handbags so that when I go to Coles, I have a coin to get a trolley…

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Well done.  This wouldn’t work for us simply because we don’t use cash anymore.  Tap our cards for everything.  It’s got  to the point that I am going to have to put a $2 coin in several handbags so that when I go to Coles, I have a coin to get a trolley…

to me cash is king still 

i dont like it you buy $5 coffee and you have to pay an extra 1.5% surcharge on top  just for tapping the card   , just think  of all the surcharcges   for that $5 dollar cup that could be in your pocket which goes into  taxes or the shop keepers funds.

that $ 8 doller schooner off beer you tap  each time  and you 1.5% surcharge 

they cant charge extra for paying in cash

i get eftpos and tapping is away lot of people go these days,  

i hate card prefer cash at least you know what ya spending 
with eftpos you can spend more with out blinking and it all could be surcharges

We rarely use cash but also do not  pay the surcharge for using the card very often. The reason for this is where we shop and how we use the credit card, of course cash or debit card do not attract the surcharge.

6 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

What state do you live that requires coin for Coles trolley? Haven't come across that yet?  Hope it doesn't come to us in Qld.

Very few retail shops I've found charge surcharges. I use credit card for everything. The points earned help pay for flights to cruises, etc. Of course, only works if you don't spend more as so easy to tap rather than cash budgeting. 

• Like 2

Coles, Woolies, Big W, Target, Kmart, Aldi all have trolleys that require coins or tokens to unlock them in the ACT, but also in Vic, SA, WA QLD and NSW . I suppose it depends on the city.

This is a very interesting post. We usually use card, but if I know there is a surcharge I usually use cash. Even Aldi charge for using credit card.

Unfortunately there are exceptions, I have just paid Princess for a cruise, all up over $120 in credit card fees, but as I use the credit card insurance, I just have to accept, the fee! Sometimes it is just unavoidable.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tripmode33 said:

What state do you live that requires coin for Coles trolley? Haven't come across that yet?  Hope it doesn't come to us in Qld.

I’m in Sydney.  I have two Coles near me, one requires coins to use the trolleys, one does not.  That Coles is only store that I go to that requires coins to access trolleys.  Coles introduced the coin operated trolleys several years ago but it became problematic so they stopped doing it (except for this particular one near me). The idea is to prevent trolleys be taken off-site.

Our closest Westfield shopping complex has a fairly new system where the trolleys self lock if you try to take them out of the shopping complex.  Fantastic idea.  No longer do you see trolleys scattered around the residential streets surrounding the shopping complex.

Everyday purchases I use my bank card (not credit card) for tap & go purchases.  You can do this for purchases from $2 to $100.00.  Very convenient.  Even small vendors at markets offer this option.  For purchase over $100 you need to enter your pin. But either way, there are no fees.

Edited by aussielozzie18

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

We rarely use cash but also do not  pay the surcharge for using the card very often. The reason for this is where we shop and how we use the credit card, of course cash or debit card do not attract the surcharge.

I agree with your comments. I often use my credit card but the only time there is a surcharge is when I book a cruise!

• Like 1

Coles, Woolies, Big W, Target, Kmart, Aldi all have trolleys that require coins or tokens to unlock them in the ACT, but also in Vic, SA, WA QLD and NSW . I suppose it depends on the city.

We live in Brisbane. The only supermarkets in my area that have a charge to use a trolley is Aldi. Woolworths and Coles definitely don't.

• Like 1

Same here.

@ozdevilNot all shops have a surchage, only a few. The ones I see are usually only about 1.5% - peanuts.  Fees are mostly built into the price (along with all the other business running costs), therefore people buying with cash are also paying a bank fee which goes to the seller, not the bank, to cover the cost of handling cash and employee time taken to count, balance the till and carry to the bank.

In my town (country SA) only Aldi have a little token you buy once and re use for trolleys.

Coles and Woolies dont have any trolley deposits here.

I dont pay any surcharges for card use - if price is same for cash or card, I use either, whichever suits me at the time. If there is a card surcharge, I pay cash.

Large payments that you wouldnt use cash, for example paying for cruises - if there is a card surcharge, I pay by bank transfer.

I'm not quite as good as OP - but  I do save my loose change in a moneybox and deposit into my :holiday savings account - and this adds about $400 every 6 months or so.

• Like 1

In NZ, I use my credit card for just about everything. Retailers that add surcharges are supposed to add only the cost to them of the service. One local cafe charges over 3% though, which I think is extortionate. If an outfit charges a surcharge, I either avoid them or use my bank card instead, although not a debit card, it works the same way, so doesn't attract the surcharge. Our Commerce Commission is currently investigating surcharge rates, but that takes forever and a day and meanwhile some less than reasonable retailers profit 💰 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Tripmode33 said:

It is only Aldi in our area. 

Edited by arxcards

It is interesting logic. In order to save $2 for a cruise, an $8 schooner is taking $10 out of your wallet to put $2 in a jar. If I am in a saving mood, I will buy stubbies on special, with a no-surcharge tap and go, then take it to my car in a trolley that doesn't need a coin. 😉 If I am in a serious saving mood, I will just drink water. The key to saving is not to spend cash, and also not to spend with debit/credit cards.

In the end, whatever works for you. My wife's cruise money-box is still empty after 10 years, but we do save for cruises.

A couple of other ways to save spending money for a cruise & travel:

- Check around for any put aside/party used gift cards and use them up,

- Convert FlyBuys into Coles dollars and use them up on your grocery shop(s)

- Run down the freezer and pantry. I would swear than some friends verge on being preppers, especially since the lockdown mentality. Using-up what you have saves a motza on your shopping bill.

• Like 3

I too have a money box into which I throw loose coins. I, too, don't use cash all that often so it takes a while to get a decent amount in the money box but every little bit helps. Also if I happen to have a win on lotto (they're always less than $30, usually around $8 so don't get excited!) that cash gets squirreled away as well and everything is put towards our next cruise.

Also, on the subject of Aldi.............. at our local one if you tap your debit card there is a surcharge, if you insert it and use a pin there isn't.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, arxcards said:

- Run down the freezer and pantry ... Using-up what you have saves a motza on your shopping bill.

That's what I do when my bank account is low and I want it to look healthier again. People are either spenders or savers, I'm a saver so I have no problems making whatever future plans/wants to happen. Spenders need to do whatever works for them to achieve their goals 💵 

• Like 4

Just now, yes!yes!yes! said:

I'm a saver.

I always think how much money I am saving when I am on a cruise.

Other than some unavoidable shore tours, we don't spend anything on board - have bought the occasional coffee with OBC but are usually disappointed with it.  Our next 17 night cruise  in October, booked months ago, is now advertised for a shade under $1,000 more for the same standard and cabin category 😊

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

And even the supermarket. In Lane Cove the only one that requires a coin/token is Woolworths. The new Coles, Aldi and Harris Farm Markets didn't bother with that for their trolleys. I think the original Coles tried it for a while but canned it as too many people were complaining they couldn't get their coins back.

4 hours ago, resordanis said:

This is a very interesting post. We usually use card, but if I know there is a surcharge I usually use cash. Even Aldi charge for using credit card.

Unfortunately there are exceptions, I have just paid Princess for a cruise, all up over $120 in credit card fees, but as I use the credit card insurance, I just have to accept, the fee! Sometimes it is just unavoidable.

That's a cheap "price" for travel insurance though! 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Other than some unavoidable shore tours, we don't spend anything on board - have bought the occasional coffee with OBC but are usually disappointed with it.  Our next 17 night cruise  in October, booked months ago, is now advertised for a shade under $1,000 more for the same standard and cabin category 😊

On our last cruise we used OBC for specialty dining, barista coffee and a couple of activities and were still running around on the last night trying to find something on which to spend the balance we had left. Did not spend a cent on board and very little on shore, probably a maximum of $120 and that included an excursion.

• Like 3

On my last cruise I had some OBC to use up. I ended up spending it in the Princess shops (I have a friend who works for a major cosmetic company and keeps me supplied with mousturisers and perfumes from his 6-monthly free products allowance, so I don'tneed anything there). I ended up buying a Pandora ring for my granddaughter (I must check that she hasn't lost it yet), and a geeky pink sparkly Princess branded cap for myself. I overspent by 99c, was able to pay $1 in small coins into my account, leaving Princess to profit by one unspent cent 😇

• Haha 2

We had some OBC left on our 2022 HAL cruise so on the last night I went and bought a nice pair of earrings that were just a tad more than the remaining OBC. I find it much easier to have a small amount to pay on the account than to hassle with getting a refund. Also that way you're guaranteed to get a statement of account - Princess used to not give/send you one if the account was still in credit, you had to remember to get a printout from the kiosk.

• Like 2