interesting thought

8 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I had a thought (usually painful when that happens😁). With the rounding up of prices, e.g. ending .99c, people paying in cash are paying extra whereas if using a card one pays the exact amount. Surely that would add up over the years.

Do you know anyone that puts $80.02 of petrol in their tank when they fill-up their tank and are paying by cash? I do, and I figure they save $1 per year.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Gift cards should be treated like cash when you receive them put them straight in the wallet. Had a friend who was doing a house clean out found $600 worth of gift cards, more than half had already expired😭

My wife found one in a Christmas card a couple of years ago. A $100 gift card that had expired 2 years earlier. She rang to enquire about it, and was told they would honour it in a single transaction at the store of issue. They did.

Treat winning scratchies the same - they too have an expiry.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Do you know anyone that puts $80.02 of petrol in their tank when they fill-up their tank and are paying by cash? I do, and I figure they save $1 per year.

Ah yes, dunno about Aus, but I would earn that value (or more) in brownie points from my bank  by paying for the petrol with my credit card  💳 

8 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I have had the same $5 in my wallet for around 6 months, $20s I go through, $5s not.

Im the same.  Although at Christmas time I donate the $5 to the Lions Club.  They are usually collecting cash at stalls where they sell their Christmas cakes & puddings.

Thanks for the tip on the Fosko key. I saw a woman using one at Aldi and asked where she got it. She said she didn't know and I made a point to look them up on Amazon (which I didn't)

There is a pub I pass weekly in Port Melbourne. They have a sign in the window saying "$6 schooners all day every day". That would give you $4 to save.

Another tip is to open an internet only bank debit card savings account. DW has one where $200 a month is automatically taken from her usual account and she earns a higher rate of interest which is actually better than long term investment accounts. She doesn't use it and forgets that it is there. There was over $12,000 in it from the last check, and we have an overseas trip and cruise coming up in May 😁

• Like 4

On 1/6/2024 at 1:37 PM, cruiser3775 said:

In Victoria, you can buy a little token on a swivel keyring, which you can reuse indefinitely on your Aldi trolley. Yes, you have to buy it first, but it saves faffing around looking for a $2 coin.  It might be the right size to use on Coles or Woolies trolleys, too. I've never tried.

One thing I have bought on board cruise ships is wrist watches.  They have gone out of fashion, as people use their mobile phones to tell the time, but I still like wearing a watch. The ship shops often have sales of more expensive watches deeply discounted, but also some good bargains on budget watches.

Nope, unfortunately the Aldi token doesn't fit the Coles or Woolies trolleys. 

13 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

We have aldi tokens but also have a $1 coin for when we shop at Coles or Woolies.

Our local Aldi lock up their trolleys, but Coles in the same Centre don't. So, I just grab a Coles trolley and use it in Aldi and Coles (I usually shop at both. Aldi doesn't have a few items we use, including a very fussy cat's favourite food brand🙄 If you want the definitive definition of 'entitled' look no further than the average feline.😠 Dogs have masters, cats have staff😆). Local Woolies (in another Centre) don't lock up their trolleys either btw.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ceeceeDee said:

Aldi doesn't have a few items we use, including a very fussy cat's favourite food brand🙄 If you want the definitive definition of 'entitled' look no further than the average feline.😠 

Hahaha, I hear you loud and clear and can well and truly empathise  🙀 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If people go away and leave their pet, it’s said a faithful dog would cross the country tracking them.  A cat would go next door.  I love cats, with their superior, aloof attitude.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jean C said:

Hahaha, I hear you loud and clear and can well and truly empathise  🙀 

Our feline overlord is 18 years old and a demanding old coot. We've had him for about 3 months. His previous owners went into a nursing home (their son is a friend of ours). We took the geriatric in because our friend already has 6 labradors (they are breeders) and 3 cats and the son's partner is allergic to cats except their own (go figure). Anyway they were looking to re-home Kuta and we figured they'd have an uphill battle offloading an 18 year old, so hubby (the softie) volunteered to take him. Considering our last cat crossed the rainbow bridge (at age 20) about 18months ago, I had forgotten what a pain in the whatnot cats can be. Nah, the old coot is not too bad, just annoying at times.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have six cats and four dogs, though one of which is still technically a foster dog. So, as a feeble attempt to get back onto the original topic, you can guess where most of our spare change goes. 😸

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Colin 2905 said:

We have six cats and four dogs, though one of which is still technically a foster dog. So, as a feeble attempt to get back onto the original topic, you can guess where most of our spare change goes. 😸

I can relate, Colin. The cat actually costs more to feed than our Labrador!!! Premium cat food is ridiculously expensive.🙀

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

We may or may not get a pet again once our travels are less often and shorter trips. Being pet free is so liberating for travel.

Ditto. I miss our cat who passed away in 2022 but it has made travel easier.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

We may or may not get a pet again once our travels are less often and shorter trips. Being pet free is so liberating for travel.

Yes often thinking the same, but I don't know if I could have another long term pet, my dog Leah a mini Schnauzer Bichon Frise  cross, was one month off her 20th birthday when the vet said we had to put her to sleep.

Broke my heart, that was about 10 years ago, still miss her.

That's the trouble with pets, they stop being pets, and become family members.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Ditto. I miss our cat who passed away in 2022 but it has made travel easier.

We're really fortunate in that our Labrador goes to stay with our friends who bred her. As for the cat, we have a neighbour who is willing to pop in and feed him so realistically the pets don't tie us down too much and we generally only cruise once a year. Would love to do more, but work commitments get in the way.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Yes often thinking the same, but I don't know if I could have another long term pet, my dog Leah a mini Schnauzer Bichon Frise  cross, was one month off her 20th birthday when the vet said we had to put her to sleep.

Absolutely, John. Definitely family members and loved to absolute bits.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

Definitely, we lost our beloved Buster in 2008, he was such a personality we found we were grieving and just couldn't replace him. Then, after a year or so, we found the advantage of not worrying about leaving a pet when travelling meant we put it off even longer. Now we realise it will be still a few years off before we get another pet.

• Like 2

On 1/11/2024 at 9:05 AM, ceeceeDee said:

Aldi doesn't have a few items we use, including a very fussy cat's favourite food brand🙄

I am a servant to a demanding cat, who will eat the Aldi dry food, but it makes her sick every time. So I have reverted to the expensive brands.  She's good company but very expensive. I have shelled out more that $1500 in 2023 having her minded in luxury at the local animal shelter while I went on cruises.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cruiser3775 said:

I am a servant to a demanding cat, who will eat the Aldi dry food, but it makes her sick every time. So I have reverted to the expensive brands.  She's good company but very expensive. I have shelled out more that $1500 in 2023 having her minded in luxury at the local animal shelter while I went on cruises.

My three cats will eat all Aldi catfood except fish varieties (Whiskers, Sylvesters, Fancy Feast). They will also through up dry food if tney are given too much. Each meal time (morning and night) they have wet food plus a little dry food. As long hairs (2 x Rag Doll, the other of suspect parentage) they are prone to through up the occasional fur ball, especially coming into summer.

When crusing or on holidays I have house sitters. Much cheaper than a boarding cattery - zilch.

9 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

My three cats will eat all Aldi catfood except fish varieties (Whiskers, Sylvesters, Fancy Feast). They will also through up dry food if tney are given too much. Each meal time (morning and night) they have wet food plus a little dry food. As long hairs (2 x Rag Doll, the other of suspect parentage) they are prone to through up the occasional fur ball, especially coming into summer.

When crusing or on holidays I have house sitters. Much cheaper than a boarding cattery - zilch.

Cat can be amazing, and I've had some great cats over the years, but there is nothing like a dog to be your mate, they listen to all your troubles with understanding eyes, and are always ready to be with you when you call, with wagging tail and excited look, every bone and muscle in their body asking where are we going...😆

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

My three cats will eat all Aldi catfood except fish varieties (Whiskers, Sylvesters, Fancy Feast). They will also throw up dry food if they are given too much. Each meal time (morning and night) they have wet food plus a little dry food. As long hairs (2 x Rag Doll, the other of suspect parentage) they are prone to through up the occasional fur ball, especially coming into summer.

I can't believe I typed through instead of throw. Doh.🙄

Edited by lyndarra
Spelling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I can't believe I typed through instead of throw. Doh.🙄

That's ok, pretty sure it will be forgiven this time.

However you should have corrected the second through above as well.😁

ps: Maybe its a "I need a Cruise" moment.🤣

Edited by Ozwoody
Ps:
  • Like 1