Celebrity SeaPass and Lanyard Options

I'm helping organize a family cruise for this coming summer on Edge.  Group will include kids as young as 7, a teen, and adults from 40-75. 

I was thinking about getting some lanyards for everyone.  I've never been on Celebrity.  Is it possible to punch a hole in the SeaPass or will I need to get plastic holders for the lanyards?  

Also, do you have to give your card to the bartender every time you order a drink, or can they scan it?  Just trying to decide if having the lanyard is more work than worth it if you are always having to remove the card to give to the staff. 

Screenshot2024-01-05at5_53_51PM.thumb.png.409c24674273f060f8a8320c3bedc885.png

I don’t think that the sea pass card can have a hole punched in it without deactivating everything.  

If you want lanyards get the kind where you insert your card in the plastic holder.

1 minute ago, jelayne said:

I don’t think that the sea pass card can have a hole punched in it without deactivating everything. 

We had this done in May on the Millennium. Guest Services did it in a spot that doesn't affect the card.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RTShaker said:

We had this done in May on the Millennium. Guest Services did it in a spot that doesn't affect the card.

The last time I remember this coming up, there was some ship to ship variability. Millie was the one ship people were able to get them punched. Not so much Reflection (at the time), so I'm guessing no to Edge class.

For the OP: I wouldn't count on being able to punch the card. I'm honestly not sure if the bartender has an RF reader for your card. On Equinox in November they just asked for our room number at the pool (we had a drink package). I don't expect consistency...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jelayne said:

If you want lanyards get the kind where you insert your card in the plastic holder.

they sell them in the souvenier shop..hit or miss!

11 hours ago, RTShaker said:

My experience was on E class where traveling companions were not able to get card punched.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Well that’s a pretty gross generalization.  You don’t know the families and what they like to do and what they have planned.

I’ve seen it over and over again on Celebrity…not so much I kid friendly lines…YMMV. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

18 hours ago, singleflyer said:

I'm helping organize a family cruise for this coming summer on Edge.  Group will include kids as young as 7, a teen, and adults from 40-75. 

I was thinking about getting some lanyards for everyone.  I've never been on Celebrity.  Is it possible to punch a hole in the SeaPass or will I need to get plastic holders for the lanyards?  

Also, do you have to give your card to the bartender every time you order a drink, or can they scan it?  Just trying to decide if having the lanyard is more work than worth it if you are always having to remove the card to give to the staff. 

Screenshot2024-01-05at5_53_51PM.thumb.png.409c24674273f060f8a8320c3bedc885.png

When ordering drinks. dining is a specialty restaurant or purchasing items in the gift shops, you have to produce your card and give it to a staff member.  

56 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

They sell key card holders on Amazon too.

Retractable Cruise Lanyards, Waterproof Cruise Lanyard with ID Badge Reel Holder & Detachable Buckle for Cruises Ships Key Cards, Cruise Essentials & Must Have Accessories (4 Colors)

these are really cute. thanks for posting them.. may add them to our pre cruise order!

11 minutes ago, hcat said:

these are really cute. thanks for posting them.. may add them to our pre cruise order!

You are welcome. There are many different styles on line. Have fun shopping. 😊

2 hours ago, keesar said:

When ordering drinks. dining is a specialty restaurant or purchasing items in the gift shops, you have to produce your card and give it to a staff member.  

Probably easier to just keep it in my wallet then... 

Thanks everyone for the feedback!  The younger ones love to play on their Kindles and swim in the pool -- this will be their first cruise so not expecting tons of activities like you would get on Carnival. More looking forward to the ports in Alaska.

51 minutes ago, MAMAFIX said:

We just hand the card and lanyard to staff, no need to take it out. Makes it easier to spot yours at bars 😉

So then do the staff have to remove it from the plastic sleeve to swipe it or is it a tap that they can do through the sleeve?

18 hours ago, singleflyer said:

So then do the staff have to remove it from the plastic sleeve to swipe it or is it a tap that they can do through the sleeve?

They should be able to just tag them to the reader.   I keep mine in the little leather holder and can tap the room keypad and the slot pad without taking them out of the holder.   I would assume the bartenders would at least need to see to know which drink package you have.

• Like 2

On 1/6/2024 at 9:42 AM, PTC DAWG said:

The youngsters are going to be bored stiff. 

Maybe not. My kids have been on several Silver Sea cruises, some they were the only kids. They have been on a bunch of 100’ Liveaboards and were the only kids every trip.  They enjoyed every minute of it.