Tipping in specialty dining

serene56

Gratuities are included when you buy specialty dining. Gratuities are added to your drink package. The servers and sommelier are included in those tipping pools. You do as you wish, but I've already paid 20% and I feel that is enough.

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, gizmodog said:

We always use to tip extra but no more since the tip has been added on already

I was always under the assumption that the tip was included in the price of dining in a specialty restaurant, especially since the costs per person is high.  I think that's the reason a lot of people didn't when the dined in the specialty restaurant.  I think that's the reason they added the 20% when booking.  

5 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

I was always under the assumption that the tip was included in the price of dining in a specialty restaurant, especially since the costs per person is high.  I think that's the reason a lot of people didn't when the dined in the specialty restaurant.  I think that's the reason they added the 20% when booking.  

For many years the tip was included in the price of the specialty restaurants.  We always tipped some extra.  When they started adding an extra 20% and now increasing the price of some the restaurants we stopped tipping extra. 

• Like 5

When dining in a specialty locale pre Covid and pre 20% add on, we were told by waiter that gratuity was not included but we were under the impression at that time it was.  This was the first time we had been told by a waitstaff that it was not included.  To get the proper information, we inquired at GS who passed us on to other departments, as to what the actual answer is.  Could not get a straight answer and none of the parties we spoke with had the same answer.  Was somewhat frustrating. This was after the meal so was only for our curiosity. Since the gratuity is now added on to the cost, this is a moot point and clearer!  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, gcornell said:

Tipping beyond 20%?  At some point this has to end.  

Another thing to remember is waitstaff either on land or sea are getting built in raises everytime the price of the meal goes up. We always tip 20% but that’s it.

One other peeve, when you are in the MDR and you order an up charge item like lobster, a 20% gratuity is added, I wonder why as the server is already being compensated by the daily gratuity added to your shipboard account, something stinks in Denmark and who is really getting that 20 percent.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

For many years the tip was included in the price of the specialty restaurants.  We always tipped some extra.  When they started adding an extra 20% and now increasing the price of some the restaurants we stopped tipping extra. 

Adding to that....since the 'additional' tax has been levied on our specialty meal,  we notice the service is not as it once was...our last Murano meal was quite a disappointment as we expect more from that staff.  On the other hand, we were very pleased with Tuscan service and felt the extra left with them over the 20% was deserved.

21 hours ago, markeb said:

No, they're not in the wait staff pool. But the bar staff, including the sommelier, shares the tips for bar (and wine) sales. That does make it more complicated in a specialty versus one of the dining rooms where the only tab (generally) would be for drink sales, but "real" restaurants manage to prorate tips to include bartenders and sommeliers based on alcohol sales. I have to believe cruise ships can do the same.

Maybe they could, but that's not how they do it on Celebrity.  The waitstaff and the sommeliers are in different departments and do not share tips with one another.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Maybe they could, but that's not how they do it on Celebrity.  The waitstaff and the sommeliers are in different departments and do not share tips with one another.

So you think auto tips on wine and bottle sales only? And special events like wine tastings? I don't know. I "know" they get extra tips on bottles and events, and that's where I've usually added tips. And I'm not arguing, but this is one of those things that could easily be an urban legend as it's not the "norm" in the hotel and restaurant industry. Actually in some restaurants the sommelier (usually one of them) is part of the management team and gets a commission off sales; they help select the and order the wines, for instance. Not going to be the case on the ships.

3 hours ago, gfkcruiser said:

When dining in a specialty locale pre Covid and pre 20% add on, we were told by waiter that gratuity was not included but we were under the impression at that time it was.  This was the first time we had been told by a waitstaff that it was not included.  To get the proper information, we inquired at GS who passed us on to other departments, as to what the actual answer is.  Could not get a straight answer and none of the parties we spoke with had the same answer.  Was somewhat frustrating. This was after the meal so was only for our curiosity. Since the gratuity is now added on to the cost, this is a moot point and clearer!  

When you received the receipt at the end of the meal, there was a statement that indicated that an 18% gratuity had been included.  This was before the increase in price and the 20% add on upon checking out online.  

2 minutes ago, keesar said:

When you received the receipt at the end of the meal, there was a statement that indicated that an 18% gratuity had been included.  This was before the increase in price and the 20% add on upon checking out online.  

We had prepaid it as a first night discount so had not in the past received a slip until that night. Had done this numerous times. Not an issue until that cruise. 

On 1/8/2024 at 8:35 PM, Hawkstar33 said:

The waitstaff fully understands that you already paid the 20%, that used to be 18%.  They know many people will no longer throw them THE EXTRA, due to the increase. But I give at least a $10,  most times a $20 if all goes well.. I'm usually happy with the service, as we dine regularly in Specialty.  I would otherwise just waste it at roulette, or a slot most likely anyway.    

I am thinking this.    since we already paid 20%  i just do not ever tip 30-40% on any bill no matter how good the service  

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, serene56 said:

I am thinking this.    since we already paid 20%  i just do not ever tip 30-40% on any bill no matter how good the service  

You are right. It's alot. I'm thinking that it might be a good idea for Celebrity to put out a memo to the crew, to not stand around casually, often awkwardly, waiting for a tip after the meal is over.  I've seen this many times, on many Celebrity ships..It is uncomfortable for some folks....Yet, the choice is still yours..

• Like 1

I am probably the same as others and often give out additional gratuities but starting to think with the increase of Gratuities to 20%.

When you go out to a fine dining restaurant on land -  Do you tip more than 20% ? 

I'm getting to the point of when does it end when every time you buy something they make you push a button and select the amount of tip.    Often you feel compelled to leave a tip when the person is looking at you as you complete your transaction.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm getting to the point of when does it end when every time you buy something they make you push a button and select the amount of tip.    Often you feel compelled to leave a tip when the person is looking at you as you complete your transaction.

I was at the airport and purchased some food items at a small, serve yourself store. You got the items yourself and paid on an automated machine. It asked if I wanted to add a tip!

At some point this HAS to stop! Everyone everywhere is now asking for a tip. I'm sticking a fork in it and saying, "enough"! I understand the culture of tipping at restaurants, but a self-serve kiosk? Yes, people work hard and appreciate tips, but come on....... I've already tipped 20%. I think that is plenty!

• Like 7

Tipping is optional at Specialty restaurants.Do what make you feel comfortable.

There was one time I tipped 100% because it was a FREE mail.

I like to take care of my crews members and Captain Club Host that make arrangement for my dinner.

On 1/9/2024 at 11:13 AM, billc23 said:

Yes! $70 service fee for the old Olympic, Marano, etc. They were a true elevated dining experience! Real table side cooking including dessert... and the amazing cheese cart!!! 

I have eaten at many nice restaurants around the US and in Europe.   I still say that the best dinner I have ever had was at the Olympic.   I had Dover Sole and my wife Steak Diane.   I remember that cheese cart, yum.  I forget what we had for dessert but I do remember being confused about what, if anything, to tip. 

2 hours ago, CaroleSS said:

I was at the airport and purchased some food items at a small, serve yourself store. You got the items yourself and paid on an automated machine. It asked if I wanted to add a tip!

I had precisely the same experience in an airport recently...DW and I just laughed...like we're going to tip a machine??

A truly sad state of affairs for sure...

• Like 1

I am trying to figure out how the sommelier is not getting paid here?

20% tip on the Premium drink package.

20% tip on Specialty dining dinner

20% tip on anything over $17 on the wine list.  Most good wines will be an upcharge and a tip.

Edited by NMTraveller

6 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I am trying to figure out how the sommelier is not getting paid here?

20% tip on the Premium drink package.

20% tip on Specialty dining dinner

20% tip on anything over $17 on the wine list.  Most good wines will be an upcharge and a tip.

Don't worry.  That staff member is being taken care of.  

10 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I am probably the same as others and often give out additional gratuities but starting to think with the increase of Gratuities to 20%.

When you go out to a fine dining restaurant on land -  Do you tip more than 20% ? 

Agree. When does it end. a few drive thru coffee shops here now have a tip selection button.  

A sports retail store had a tip jar at the cash register.   Where does it stop? 

We tip 20% for good service in a restaurant when the tip has not already been added on.  DH put a tip down after a dinner in specialty onboard.  I asked him if he realized he just tipped about 40% as 20% already included

A tip used to be for really good service.  Not expected,  or management keeping salaries low expecting staff salaries to be boosted by customers through tips.   My rant

• Like 1

we are no longer adding tips to waitstaff...it is included in our prepaid res.  Same for sommelier with our alc package  unless great service .

I read an article this wk where a restaurant is adding a fee to defer costs of employee health insurance.  It is removable upon request.. Really getting  out of hand!

• Like 1

On 1/9/2024 at 2:22 PM, MISTER 67 said:

Another thing to remember is waitstaff either on land or sea are getting built in raises everytime the price of the meal goes up. We always tip 20% but that’s it.

One other peeve, when you are in the MDR and you order an up charge item like lobster, a 20% gratuity is added, I wonder why as the server is already being compensated by the daily gratuity added to your shipboard account, something stinks in Denmark and who is really getting that 20 percent.

It’s completely illogical but certainly is aligned with the continued business objective of charging whatever the market will bear. 

Just now, IDL said:

It’s completely illogical but certainly is aligned with the continued business objective of charging whatever the market will bear. 

We are old time cruisers and refuse to eat in specialty restaurants or order the up- charge meals in the MDR. 

6 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

We are old time cruisers and refuse to eat in specialty restaurants or order the up- charge meals in the MDR. 

Old time cruising was the best.   We used to get 2nd seating in MDR.   What a great evening.   Usually there was a combo playing dance standards somewhere and so you could enjoy a cocktail (yes you paid for it, no drink packages then) before dinner.   At dinner you were welcomed by wait staff that knew your name, you were seated at a table that wasn't 6 inches from somebody else and could then choose a 5 course dinner.   And you get get 2nds or 3rds.  The term "upcharge" was not heard of.   You could then go to the late show and then retire for the evening.  

• Like 2