Walkie Talkies

Has anyone had any luck using walkie talkies onboard a cruise ship.

Was thinking of buying a pair for an upcoming cruise to keep in touch with family but not sure how well they will work in a cruise ship?

They don't work well as all the walls and floors are sheet metal.

If everyone had a smart phone, but the free messaging in the Royal app.

Just now, SRF said:

They don't work well as all the walls and floors are sheet metal.

If everyone had a smart phone, but the free messaging in the Royal app.

Yeah that's what I thought regarding all the metal. thanks

36 minutes ago, crazyank said:

Not to mention the folks around you getting tired of the constant racket.

People always say this, but I've never been bothered by walkie talkies. We had some young girls across the hall from us that used them once in a while, and we'd see them on the elevators here and there- it's not much different than them talking to a person next to them as long as they aren't screaming into it and don't have the volume blasting, it shouldn't really bother anyone. 

Walkie Talkies.. that reminds me...

Years ago, in Rome, we had 2 people in our group late coming back to the bus...so we waited.

The bus driver and guide couldn't wait anymore so 4 of us decided to look for them. 4 of us because we had 4 Motorola walkie-talkies...we all went in different directions...and ultimately found the "lost" passengers.

Genuinely thankful we had the walkie-talkies. The bus driver and guide said "wished we had those radios"...so we gave them 2 of the walkie-talkies. :classic_smile:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, BK79 said:

Does anyone know if kids watches work for messaging on the ships?

Not unless they can somehow run the RCI app and get to the texting function within that. 

4 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Years ago, in Rome, we had 2 people in our group late coming back to the bus...so we waited.

The bus driver and guide couldn't wait anymore so 4 of us decided to look for them. 4 of us because we had 4 Motorola walkie-talkies...we all went in different directions...and ultimately found the "lost" passengers.

Genuinely thankful we had the walkie-talkies. The bus driver and guide said "wished we had those radios"...so we gave them 2 of the walkie-talkies. :classic_smile:

If you were using US licensed walkie talkies you could have ended up in jail if you had been caught. You also might have interfered with legal radio services. 

• Haha 1

Had a group who sat down beside me at the pool with walkies.  They were totally obnoxious using them without any care whatsoever how it might impact the pool experience for others.  Most people around them left for another spot before long.  Myself included. 

13 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

People always say this, but I've never been bothered by walkie talkies. We had some young girls across the hall from us that used them once in a while, and we'd see them on the elevators here and there- it's not much different than them talking to a person next to them as long as they aren't screaming into it and don't have the volume blasting, it shouldn't really bother anyone. 

Ugg we have. A family had them and constantly they were stalking. The mom thought she had to yell every time she spoke into it. Every one was shaking their heads after a while.

1 hour ago, soremekun said:

WHAT?!  DAY 10 AND YOUR WIFE STILL HASN'T LET YOU BACK IN THE HOUSE?!

DID YOU SAY, YOU CAUGHT A MOUSE, PUT IT IN A PEN AND KILLED IT WITH A KNIFE??

Edited by doghog
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

The operative phrase here is "years ago".

• Like 1