I dont consider myself cheap

my wife and i love to cruise and we take at least 2 a year.  is it just me, or has anyone else notice that most of the prices on ncl cruises are now almost sky high?

when the prima 1st sailed, after reviewing the prices, i thought i was priced out of the market (now i know for sure). i shudder to think what the aqua will cost

Lately it seems most cruises are high. ncl isnt fooling anyone with their alleged sales.

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, complawyer said:

my wife and i love to cruise and we take at least 2 a year.  is it just me, or has anyone else notice that most of the prices on ncl cruises are now almost sky high?

when the prima 1st sailed, after reviewing the prices, i thought i was priced out of the market (now i know for sure). i shudder to think what the aqua will cost

Lately it seems most cruises are high. ncl isnt fooling anyone with their alleged sales.

I agree with you cruising is up but not sure of its increase $ wise, but consider almost everything is up. 
Groceries up 20%, energy up 38%, fuel oil up 48%, gas/diesel up 52%, natural gas up 21%, electricity up 26%, new vehicles up 20% to name just a few and none of these have a sale. 

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, complawyer said:

The cost of everything is up to include the cost of staying home instead of going on a cruise.

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

I agree that in general everything costs more than 3 years ago. 
I remind myself vacations are wants not needs and I’m blessed to be able to travel. If that means I have to adjust my accommodations or trip length so be it. I know lots of people are struggling to make ends meet now and would love to be in my shoes.

• Like 7

It has definitely been a significant change (raise) in prices for cruising after the covid-19 pandemic. We used to book balcony cabins, or at least OW cabins, and now only can afford inside cabins - and even they have a hefty price tag. 

Btw; it is not only NCL  but all cruise lines. At least 4 that has been my impression. 

• Like 5

The cruise prices are generally increasing, but since the ships are still sailing at a high capacity (if not full) there will be no overall relief in prices expected.  The more flexible you are, the more likely you will be to find a deal since pricing on cruises is very much a function of supply and demand, and there can be vastly different prices on the same cruise depending on when you purchase your fare.  

Prior to covid, it seemed the mainstream lines were more similar than different.  If you broaden your search to other cruises lines, you are more likely to find a better deal (the other cruise lines prices are up too, but if you are searching for a deal among a larger number of cruises that is more likely to happen).  You'd need to think about what's most important to you on cruises - if its the drink package, that's generally higher on other cruise lines, so you'd need to account for that prior to considering another line.  If you sail primarily for itinerary, then all the cruise lines are worth considering.  

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 2

At some point, it will tip the other way. The increase in prices throughout the industry are unsustainable. At some point, consumers are going to say just what you are saying....enough. Basic economics dictate as prices increase, demand will decrease, and prices will follow downward. We've been able to snag a good deal on a postCorona NCL Transatlantic as well as a Princess repositioning cruise for pre pandemic prices. If airfare works out, we will likely be heading to the oversupplied Alaska market in the spring on  NCL Jewel where 7 day cruises are already priced at a silly $249 per person. If not, we will  rent a 1,200 sq ft villa in Florida for two weeks and enjoy that vacation.

Edit...full disclosure, due to the way the cruise industry is allowed to advertise, the actual price including port charges and grats is close to $750 per person. Very deceptive, but until the government decides to regulate the advertising of cruises, this is what we have to deal with.

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think it depends on how you want to cruise. You always mention you cruise in the Haven or a suite and that's great. But that is never going to be an option for me, especially as a solo traveler on a budget. I personally would rather cruise more often in a smaller cabin. It's great that sometimes there are upgrades available and I can take advantage of them but if I can't, I am happy on the waterfront or Observation Lounge. Booking last minute also helps to take advantage of lower prices (again, I really don't care that much about my cabin). We all have different cruise styles and cruising is still in my budget but sometimes it takes a little more time and effort to make it work. 

• Like 17

I think amongst the "big three" lines, prices are up across the board at a higher rate than pre-pandemic with fewer true sales (not the fake 50% off 2nd passenger at an inflated rate).  Many costs, as mentioned before (like fuel and grocery type supplies), are increasing in price at a higher rate than the before days, and there is a mountain of debt to be paid off that was taken on during the pandemic.  I am interested to see if the rate of price increases slows once the debt taken on is paid off, though I am not holding my breath.  Also demand, and therefore price, is always highest for new build/newest ships.

Everyone is missing the real culprit here...as you know, the price of hash browns has skyrocketed and NCL has stopped serving them.

I'M NEVER CRUISING WITH NCL AGAIN!!

No, seriously. Never. Ever. (Until next month).

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 1
  • Haha 18

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

or has anyone else notice that most of the prices on ncl cruises are now almost sky high?

it is called market economy.

the price is always a result of offer and demand.

Yes, the prices have gone up significantly,but obviously enough people are willing to pay for it.

• Like 1

Its not just NCL.  There is a HUGE demand for cruises which has increased prices.  No matter how high they go people still book.  The ICON of the Seas just arrived in Miami and the cheapest interior cabin is $1800 per person!!!!!!  You used to be able to book 2 in a balcony cabin for that price.  Celebrity just jacked up their solo cruise prices.  It gets crazier because the prices are at an all time high yet the cruise lines are cutting back galore.  NCL now only has one major show and has went back in time and re-introduced cruise ship entertainment i.e. cruise ship workers.  Nothing makes sense in this world anymore because when I see the prices of the houses in my neighborhood are selling for and everyone in new $65k cars, I wonder where everyone is getting this money from.   I just booked the most expensive cruise of my life but its not until 2026 which gives me 2 years to pay it off.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree that everything has gone up but some things are crazy expensive.  

Two examples

The Vibe was $79 when we went in 2020.  I think it’s up to around $250 now.

To pre order 12 shrimp sent to your room is $50.  Crazy

1 hour ago, luv2kroooz said:

At some point, it will tip the other way. The increase in prices throughout the industry are unsustainable. At some point, consumers are going to say just what you are saying....enough. Basic economics dictate as prices increase, demand will decrease, and prices will follow downward. We've been able to snag a good deal on a postCorona NCL Transatlantic as well as a Princess repositioning cruise for pre pandemic prices. If airfare works out, we will likely be heading to the oversupplied Alaska market in the spring on  NCL Jewel where 7 day cruises are already priced at a silly $249 per person. If not, we will  rent a 1,200 sq ft villa in Florida for two weeks and enjoy that vacation.

Edit...full disclosure, due to the way the cruise industry is allowed to advertise, the actual price including port charges and grats is close to $750 per person. Very deceptive, but until the government decides to regulate the advertising of cruises, this is what we have to deal with.

We (family of 4) returned from Disney World the week before thanksgiving.. the prices have absolutely skyrocketed there.. but demand is still at an all time high.. Even though it rained for 7 straight days in the parks each park still had 80k visitors each soaking wet day.. Disney has manipulated the attendance policy this creating no “slow season”

We just booked on NCL joy 5/26. - 6/2/24 Bermuda 7 days out of NYC

said kids are $99 each… with port fees/ taxes and gratuities included each child came to $605 each so additional $1,210

We are still excited to cruise and feel fortunate enough to have a few vacation choices.. you are correct… we are inching close to our “tipping point”

#bringbackthehash

#hashbrownsforbreakfast

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, cincicruisers said:

The Vibe was $79 when we went in 2020.  I think it’s up to around $250 now.

Given the obvious interest in the Vibe and that it still consistently sells out, is the current pricing "crazy"? If it is still selling out, is the current price still not what the market will bear? Was the $79 price waaaaay underpriced (and isn't THAT "crazy")?

One thing that always seems to get missed in these price threads: Do the people who complain about the high price ever consider, even if just for a moment, that the issue might not lie in the pricing, but instead in their financial means?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cheersforbeers said:

I agree with you cruising is up but not sure of its increase $ wise, but consider almost everything is up. 
Groceries up 20%, energy up 38%, fuel oil up 48%, gas/diesel up 52%, natural gas up 21%, electricity up 26%, new vehicles up 20% to name just a few and none of these have a sale. 

I think it might depend on where you live.  Just saw a CPI for the Midwest where inflation is sitting right around 3.7%.  So, your numbers are…well…off!  Personally, I just bought a new Accord!  It cost about 5% more than my 2019.  But, it’s a hybrid!  And in 2019, hybrid’s cost more.  Gas in my burg is running about what I paid 5 years ago.  They did go up during Covid, but have dropped back to normal!

I do believe you have to shop a little more to get cruise deals, but I’ve been able to find them!  I just think NCL is offering different coupons and incentives and ways to impact fares (cruise next, cruise first).  They can really drop cruise fares.

I just think it’s a different way to get good fares vs just posting them on the web site!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Everyone is missing the real culprit here...as you know, the price of hash browns has skyrocketed and NCL has stopped serving them.

I'M NEVER CRUISING WITH NCL AGAIN!!

No, seriously. Never. Ever. (Until next month).

Just had my first serving of "breakfast potatoes".

Not the worst thing I ever ate; left a few over to save a couple of calories.

But they aint no hashbrowns!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Do the people who complain about the high price ever consider, even if just for a moment, that the issue might not lie in the pricing, but instead in their financial means?

Yes, and rest assured it has nothing to do with financial means in our case.

There are still deals to be had. It just might not be the itinerary you would like, or the dates you would like, or maybe the cabin category you want. Supply and demand. Or we could go the other direction and have the government create a Department of Cruise, where a bunch of bureaucrats would determine what you pay for a cruise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, yakcruiser said:

. Or we could go the other direction and have the government create a Department of Cruise, where a bunch of bureaucrats would determine what you pay for a cruise.

What on earth are you talking about?

• Haha 2