The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday, January 14th, 2024

kazu

Today is Cesarean Section Day, International Kite Day, and National Dress Up Your Pet Day

Life is 10 percent what you make it, and 90 percent how you take it. - Irving Berlin

Meal Suggestion for today - Slow-Cooker Vegetarian Lasagna
Drink of the Day - Cape Cod
Wine of the Day - Rotari 2018 Metodo Classico Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut Sparkling (Trento)
Destination of the Day - Tabuaeran (Fanning Island), Kiribati

Today in History:
1526 Charles V and Francis I sign the Treaty of Madrid, forcing Francis to give up claims to Burgundy, Italy and Flanders
1724 Spanish King Philip V abdicates throne
1952 "Today Show" premieres with Dave Garroway & Jack Lescoulie on NBC-TV

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Philipsburg St Maarten, Netherlands Antilles eta 01-16

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Honolulu, Oahu Island Hawaii eta 01-19

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Philipsburg St Maarten, Netherlands Antilles eta 01-16

Nieuw Statendam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 

Oosterdam

Ushuaia, Argentina 14:00 - 20:00 

Rotterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 7:00-15:00 

Volendam

Line Islands, Kiritimati 10:00 - 16:30

Zaandam

Huatulco, La Crucecita, Mexico Riviera 12:00 - 18:00 

Zuiderdam

Manaus, Brazil Amazon 08:00 - 17:00 

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Melbourne, Victoria Australia 08:00 - 17:00 

Westerdam

Saigon, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam 06:00 - 18:00

• Like 22
  • Thanks 19

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP, gtube

Summer slope with a positive skin bx report

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness; trouble walking

All in the path of storms and frigid temperatures

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

HAL Sailer’s DH with medical issues

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Catmando with cancer recurrence, on immunotherapy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Sailingdutchy (Tony and Martha)!

Welcome Home Seasick Sailor (Joy and Allen)!

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

Seagarsmoker feeling better

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

Kochleffel (Anthem of the Seas to Jan 18, 11d Southern Caribbean), Sailingdutchy(Rotterdam to Feb 4, 21d PC Sunfarer & Southern Caribbean Seafarer), Ottahand7 (Eurodam to Feb 24 B2B2B2B2B Caribbean), Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister(Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Cruise), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 25
  • Thanks 17

Good morning friends!  Today it is 28F and will be 55 and sunny today.  It's been a good weekend weather wise, though a bit brisk.  Yesterday we must have had a cold north wind because it was very cold when you stepped outside but the temperature indicated otherwise.

Thanks to Jacqui @kazu for posting the Fleet Report and Daily for Rich @richwmn .  Thanks also to Roy @rafinmd for the maps.  Thankfully I have had no experience with a cesarean section, loved kites as a child, and have no pets to dress up.  I'm not sure about that quote.  I feel like we've had slow cooker vegetarian lasagna before but I'd probably give it a taste.  I think I'll pass on the drink and wine.  The Kings kept busy on this date and I can't imagine what Today show looked like in 1952.  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for their reports today.

Prayers for our Daily friends in need of them, most recently for Roy's @rafinmd's nosebleeds and Dixie's @summer slope's basal cell skin cancer biopsy results.  But prayers for all of you!  Also DB and friends in need of them, along with Israel and Ukraine citizens at war, the hostages still held, and our military staying safe abroad.  A toast to all of us celebrating good things and those at sea.  Welcome home Joy @Seasick Sailor and Allen!  And Bon Voyage Tony @sailingdutchy and Martha!  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your work updating the lists, and I hope you had a good night's sleep and less pain.  Prayers continue!

The port for today is Tabuaeran, otherwise known as Fanning Island, Kiribati.  Yep we saw it here on the Daily 14 days ago, Dec. 31, 2023, so please excuse the repeats of photos so soon.  It was also our port on Sept. 15, 2021 and April 12, 2022.  Many people are finding it increasingly difficult to get to Fanning Island, so I hope we can satisfy your curiosity on it for now.

Wow, that last link is a doozy!  Interesting what pops up somedays!

Have a great day everyone!  And try to stay safe, well and warm.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Thanks for the maps.

It's still snowing and blowing.  Ugh. 

C-sections have saved many babies and mothers.  Although it's extremely windy here today, I don't want to fly a kite.  I don't dress up my dog.

I like the quote.

The meal sounds good, hope the drink and wine are tasty too.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

I've never been to today's port, thanks in advance for pictures and commentary.

Have a good day everyone.  Stay safe.

• Like 28

We were blessed with decent weather for our stop at Fanning Island on the Maasdam on April 6, 2017.  A large number of passengers had collected items to donate to the citizens of the little island.  I personally brought about 3 dozen ziploc bags with small toothpaste tubes, a toothbrush and dental floss, which we turned over to a classroom of students at the school.  Others collected school supplies to give to the kids.

Upon arrival at the dock, we were met with many locals singing for us.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIS_KJ8odOVECCZVeccOktw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1493590486

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIv9VR156QPz5CBg25WGVKM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1493590488

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIQ47EYrCjPlAA5kXQjpr_f?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1493590493

Some people were dressed in native costumes so that we could have our photos taken with them.  Donations always accepted with a smile.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK8YIJr3ngEQpNxoe-Rz3Kq?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1493590498

Locally made goods were laid out on tables and offered to us at a good price.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLmuMPnRY6hWK8TS-cLPClo?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1493590507

Here we are at the school00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKPMPxqTGZQS_mIcq02R6sP?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494246197

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKVESzKZHuATeJCAqRwHsK-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1493590595

I think the kids enjoyed visitors once in a while to break up their lessons.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIKgn6-NewOmHRU6Xs8CWdO?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1493590575

This roomful began singing a song for us.  It was great!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKG0_XTkUgJF0oi1JgUSKL8?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1493590580

I'll post this now and come back with more photos of the locality and people we saw along the way.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Yesterday it got to 61F and it was a nice treat.  The kids sitter works at Tufts, pet ER, and I took Amelia’s medication and gave it to her.  Her aunt uses it for her cat and is on a fixed income.  While there the guy who sold me my car came out to say hello.  He retired from the dealership and works there part time.  Small world.  After errands I laid down with Mona and we both napped until a round of spam calls woke us up.  Luckily l woke up to a message that Amelia was ready to come home.  I picked up her remains and will put her ashes with the others we lost along the way.

I’ll pass on today’s meal suggestion but might try it if someone else did the cooking.  I’m planning on roasting a chicken for dinner.

I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.thumb.png.73de83bd3a7e7af08ce488ca65becb18.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

Here is someone's home on Fanning Island.  Up off the ground and hopefully the roof didn't let rain in.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJv_2_9Yapjn_uyef98LZTi?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1493590514

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJVzqaSTqaOaRQjjeDpWYlf?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1493590538

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJuLkrDv08umcAP19HjeA54?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1493590542

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIXT1tsdSBnnn1MGOPG6g7q?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1493590547

I don't know if you can tell but by this point it was showering so we stepped under an overhang at a building along the road.  Five or ten minutes later the rain stopped.  

How do you like the fence they made?  Pretty neat!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKF7pJN3XAk3_wXkD97oIPr?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1493590552

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKEGBNNkiCQBNfkZyMPUdjo?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1493590549

This is the sign pointing the direction to the school we visited and that I posted about before.  It was named after the cruise line that helped fund it years before.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL_Srh4uHtJ5PSe3DLORvBt?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1493590561

This is what the road looks like.  Already dried up from the rain.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK-vdHs2C1ypsDnA1fKSNEv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1493590610

Some passengers paid for a ride around the island to view it instead of walking.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIEtVMehR6Zxouo24IJYn77?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1493590608

A boat left near the shore.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVINUHx2IkFOB5RqByqTIIC7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1493590627

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKfSriiyTaSV7wEpna2x5jV?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1493590627

We ended up seeing a group of small children ready to sing and dance for passersby.  Donation bucket there for you to help out.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLwVV9ds98FgTw-icOfmGz8?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1493590667

Love the grass skirts!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJgtW1qdyeuc9KQDiP2Vr5M?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494246298

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIFl9ZTLFNgORhIwWq9nTz_?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1631710172

A stop to look at the handmade items.  Bring lots of dollar bills when you stop at Fanning Island!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKAi6ptg_EiPOuxgT-ZG_Ex?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1493590690

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLgf2XwtW9Rf_T9wROHOUy2?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1493590695

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLGJDVhgHRQoqo7ZMYaAki6?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1493590507

Getting ready to leave, this is the view next to the dock.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL_EeSMw68jWBX8W6aHQvF2?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1493590702

And this is a cool place to wait near the dock.  That looks like Kainoa sitting there.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLEuxPKnXuzRbc3htNXH0Xv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1493590707

Goodbye Ladies!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJRnFlWR6I1rwt2ko6UAdnR?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494246328

Please excuse the dirty windows on the tender which made my pictures turn out less than stellar.  This is the view as our tender headed back to the Maasdam.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJq4G-52pfXVlhJk0075hZ4?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1493590780

That was the Maasdam above right waiting for our arrival back.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIhv5rS90sxAHN4TEQuFnNd?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1493590802

It was a very nice visit to this remote island and well worth the long tender ride.  I hope many of you can stop there sometime on your South Pacific cruise.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6

Good morning. We will be crossing the Equator around noon today. Seems strange to me we are still on Eastern time. King Neptune will head court around one thirty. Another sea day tomorrow as we sail to Salaverry, Peru. 
We dined in Aqualina our Italian themed specialty restaurant last night. We followed that with going to see Amilio Valle the ships lead guitarist. Kirk told me he had been on the former Amsterdam World Cruise. He was a fantastic musician and did some classics from Santana, Clapton, Berry etc. it was a wow performance.

Back in Panama City they went to the main fish market and purchased fresh fish. Today lunch will feature grilled fish. More lectures today and a power walk and most likely a nap. Ships singer and dancers return with a show called Crooners.

It’s time for my morning energizer shot of various blends of ginger and fruits then Coffee Americano or Latte.

Either our stowaway bird moved to new location or made a very bad decision.

YesI remember the original Today show with Dave and Jack.

Thanks Jacqui for getting us started and to all who make the Daily a daily routine. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.43067d89cfb627d9788aef104ed0692f.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3f17f1cb642e8d0c3f7a1f6601501297.jpegimage.jpeg.4e214370ede3fc6db484d33f658440d1.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 19

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui! I am going to start referring to this Winter as “The Winter of Yo-Yo Temps”. We are starting out the day 22 degrees cooler than yesterday. Still nothing compared to you on the Frozen Tundra, but very strange for us. 

Vanessa, thank you for all you do to keep track of us. I pray that your sleep & pain continue to improve & a permanent solution for your pain happens soon!

Gym, Aldi, Bindi walks and chores will keep me busy. 

IMG_2388.jpeg.be21d2695477fc1b00cc0927fb0898c0.jpeg

IMG_2172.jpeg.514f1b2d86512f5fb636cc1024eba40b.jpeg

IMG_2387.jpeg.e80417f67f8660ab6c27b904096ca5a5.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. 
Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Rotari 2018 Metodo Classico Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut Sparkling (Trento)

Live in Europe? Visiting in the near future? You are in luck! This sparkling wine from Italy is only available in Europe right now. Perhaps the great review from Wine Enthusiast will change that. It sounds interesting and is reasonably priced. Although none of the places I found online ship to me, if you are in Europe prices start around $16.00. 

93 Wine Enthusiast 

Enticing aromas of baked apples, freshly baked croissants, ginger and white flowers pour from the glass of this mountain-grown sparkling wine. The pristine palate lifts as the crisp acidity pops on the palate, balancing the rich orchard fruit, lemon curd and creamy texture of the wine that finishes with a flinty minerality with a fine and elegant perlage. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 7

Thank you all for your prayers.  I truly appreciate you all.

Cape Cod cocktail:

The Cape Cod or Cape Codder is a type of cocktail consisting of vodka and cranberry juice. Some recipes also call for squeezing a lime wedge over the glass and dropping it into the drink. Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Vodka
Ingredients: Cranberry juice (1 to 4 parts, to taste), Vodka (1 part)
Preparation: Build all ingredients in a highball glass filled with ice. Garnish with lime wedge.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Lime slice
Drinkware: Highball glass

Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 7.32.54 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 13

Thanks to Roy, Vanessa, Ann, Dixie & Debbie for their dedication & everyone for their contributions.  A lot of lives are owed to Cesarean sections - worthy of celebration.  I absolutely refuse to dress up my pet.

IMG_1434.thumb.jpeg.d5e57a6d496b829c355d957c552b4940.jpeg

Really like the Berlin quote.  It seems to be very true some days 😉  that sparkling wine sounds intriguing.  

Storm is over, finally for now.  it looks like the driveway had better be de-iced so Ivan and I can get off and before the snow falls later this afternoon.  At least the wicked winds may have helped dry up some of the water so that the ice isn’t so thick.

IMG_1431.thumb.jpeg.bd64f3679ae3e06f16fc90127e6559b6.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems, worries & those that need them 🙏 Cheers for those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_1432.jpeg.59ecd6ea2088ececfa4d5146c10f5a3a.jpeg

Have a good Sunday everyone.

• Like 28
  • Haha 9

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Ann, and Dixie.  Bon Voyage @sailingdutchy.

I was never good with kites, no pets to dress up but Caesarean Sections certainly have their place.  I like the  Berlin quote.

I have not been to Fanning Island.  No wonder I was having difficulty separating the Signature Sisters on the map, they will probably be pretty much in lockstep for the next few days.

The Today show has certainly shown staying power.

Not sure about the meal.  My alternative is Fiesta Chicken Soup, Strip Loin Steak, and Peach Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam January 14, 2019:

dishes14.jpg

Winter, such as it is will be here for the next few days.  Time to dig out my tuque and heavy gear.  Seldom much above 0C this week.

Roy

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Jacqui, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 30

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I'm grateful for Caesarean sections, otherwise our son wouldn't have made it into the world.  A little too cold for kites today, although there's a stiff breeze blowing.  I tried putting a Christmas dress on Sochi one year - she was not impressed.

As I alluded to previously, there's a good wind out there and that's bringing our -38C temp to a bone chilling -52C (-61F).  The furnace is going full time but it wasn't enough to keep our bedroom a comfortable temperature, so I brought up one of the electric heaters yesterday afternoon and had it plugged in until we went to bed.  Well, you can guess where Sochi was - curled up directly in front of it.  I felt like moving her over so I could lay there on the floor.

@sailingdutchyBon Voyage - have a wonderful cruise!

@Seasick Sailorwelcome home to you and Allen!

@summer slopeI'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but do hope the MOHS surgery will take care of the problem for you.

I mentioned our weather, but last night we had a message from our son in Calgary that the province of Alberta was warned of possible rotating power outages because of the extremely high demand on their system.  They were asked to limit the use of household appliances, lights, and not to charge their EV's if they had one, and even to limit plugging in the block heaters on their regular vehicles.   The premier of our province came to their aid by diverting a good amount of power into their system, and thankfully this morning I see that the warning has been removed.

I don't have anything on the agenda today, so I think I'll either make another toque or two, or just start another blanket and watch silly movies.  I'm usually a news junkie, but sometime you just have to take a break and watch something mindless for a while. 

I'd love the drink of the day (hey, it's healthy - the vodka will kill germs and the cranberry juice is good for your urinary health), would probably enjoy the sparkling wine, and would like to try the menu suggestion some time.  I've got some pork chops thawing that will be baked in the air fryer with a brown sugar glaze that will be served alongside some baked potatoes and green beans at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 34

Happy Sunday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

I love the meal and drink of the day. Anything from a slow cooker is yummy. My greatest investment though has been my Instant Pot. I have had several yummy, yet quick, meals. 

It is cold here. Might get to 38. Expecting some dangerous snow squalls today and then more snow on Tuesdays with highs barely in the 30s. I did take the Christmas stuff down. My thoughts are now turning to my vegetable garden and Spring. Wishing for warm weather. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

image.png.ca918503e98d1da9dae54bcb9a74d4d3.png

• Like 20
  • Haha 6

Greetings from beautiful Punta Gorda.

Another unusually cool day and week coming up here in the Sunshine State.

Not sure about the quote.

I would try the vegetable lasagna.

Greed has the NFL with a 17 game schedule which gives us playoff games in January with temperatures around zero and blizzards, not fair to the fans or players, had to vent on this, football is a game meant to be played in the fall months.

Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 27