What new shows would you like to see on Royal

9 hours ago, mets07 said:

@bonsai3s Jersey Boys was on Anthem and was outstanding, but was not a show in the Broadway sense, but rather a singing show / performance. Ryan Molloy, British actor, was extremely entertaining. Not sure if that is what you were thinking of....

The Broadway type show we enjoyed the most on a Royal ship was Saturday Night Fever. I don't know if it was just our luck as to the specific performers on board (Liberty) at the time, but the dancing in particular was fantastic. 

Most other Broadway-type shows on the ships have not held our interest.

Jersey boys was on NCL. Anthem seems to have had a tribute act starting the original West end Frankie, not really the same thing as the show. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 3:54 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

I just wish they would bring back the tribute bands in the music halls.

In 2015 we had a Led Zeppelin tribute band on our Explorer Reposition.  We loved it.  But there were many who walked out and actually went to GS complaining about that loud music.  Those who stayed loved it.  Probably the best I've seen.  But given the average age on that sailing was most likely 80, it may not have been the best itinerary to debut a rock tribute band.  I think I remember the roll call just complaining about it.  I should look at the comments as it was pretty funny from what I remember.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

In 2015 we had a Led Zeppelin tribute band on our Explorer Reposition.  We loved it.  But there were many who walked out and actually went to GS complaining about that loud music.  Those who stayed loved it.  Probably the best I've seen.  But given the average age on that sailing was most likely 80, it may not have been the best itinerary to debut a rock tribute band.  I think I remember the roll call just complaining about it.  I should look at the comments as it was pretty funny from what I remember.  

I get that for shows in the main theatre  but when you have a purpose built "music hall" that was specifically designed to host bands and then pull the bands to cut costs then you have a big wasted space. 

• Like 5

Based on the track record of previous shows (all the musicals have been Jukebox shows and/or movies with movie adaptations)

I would say likely choices include Tina, Beautiful Noise: The Neil Diamond (although this is still on Broadway, so less likely), Escape to Margaritaville the Jimmy Buffet musical, The Cher Show, &Juliet (same situation as Beautiful Noise), Beautiful the Carol King musical, and Motown the Musical. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NicNac4498 said:

Based on the track record of previous shows (all the musicals have been Jukebox shows and/or movies with movie adaptations)

I would say likely choices include Tina, Beautiful Noise: The Neil Diamond (although this is still on Broadway, so less likely), Escape to Margaritaville the Jimmy Buffet musical, The Cher Show, &Juliet (same situation as Beautiful Noise), Beautiful the Carol King musical, and Motown the Musical. 

On Your Feet - though that would require a full latino/latina cast.

There was also the short-lived Once Upon A One More Time with Britney music.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jean87510 said:

The old folks should have loved it, it's their music! 

I love the Latin bands, guitar players, smaller act type stuff. I'm not really into the theater shows. Most of them just seem cheesy to me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yogimax said:

Why does it have to be a musical?

How about a good laugh with a classic....

Arsenic and Old Lace?  They could even sell some Elderberry Wine for the show.

My thought is it's easier for many non English speaking individuals to follow music and dancing rather then focus on an actual play. 

2 hours ago, CruiseTobey said:

The Greatest Showman would be the perfect cruise show.  Good story, great songs, show-stopping solo, (Never Enough), and acrobats in midair.  Stream the movie and you will see what I mean.

Disney Theatrical is working on development of it for Broadway so unlikely it'll be on a Royal ship any time soon.

34 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

The Drowsy Chaperone would be fun.

I've never been on a ship with a Broadway show on it. Is it like Broadway where there is an intermission or are they doing a very pared down version to make it fit a smaller time frame?

Typically a 90ish min, no-intermission version 

Edited by NicNac4498

42 minutes ago, NicNac4498 said:

Typically a 90ish min, no-intermission version 

Ah. So they cut a lot. That's where Come From Away would be amazing. It IS a 90 minute show.

Most shows are designed to be 2-2 1/2 hours with intermission. I can't imagine the shows being good with that much cut out.

12 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I get that for shows in the main theatre  but when you have a purpose built "music hall" that was specifically designed to host bands and then pull the bands to cut costs then you have a big wasted space. 

I totally agree!  We NEVER go to any shows but absolutely loved the tribute bands in the Music Hall!  So wish they'd bring them back.

Also loved the Virtual Symphony in 270.  Wish they had more concerts like that shown in there.

I think there are enough Venues on most ships to spread the musical tastes. 

You will always have the production team which is fine and they can be the big shows but backed up as they do with other entertainment. As i stated gratest showman yes please.......but i would also like to see something different from singing. Magic, comedy, acrobats, etc.