Live: Experienced cruisers try Celebrity 14 day cruise to Antartica on the Eclipse

jimbo5544

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Thanks for following along on the journey.  I found the mix of old and new (relatively speaking) of the architechture of the city to be facinating.  We def miss stepped by not coming down earlier (going to the falls as well, which at least would add another couple days. 

We did a TA from Barcelona to BA a few years ago and I agree with you that we should have spent more time there. We only stayed for two days. Thanks for doing this. 

5 minutes ago, lienf said:

We did a TA from Barcelona to BA a few years ago and I agree with you that we should have spent more time there. We only stayed for two days. Thanks for doing this. 

My pleasure

Have fun, this must be a once in a lifetime experience. Hope you will have great weather in Antarctica and not to rough seas, also for the stop at Port Stanley which was missed by the previous cruise due to high winds.

How did you manage in Buenos Aires with transportation, you took a regular taxi or Uber?

14 hours ago, TommyD3 said:

Any priority for Suites and Zenith ???

No ship officers or Retreat lines were available until after passing through security in building #2 (damaged terminal)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, perrysburg said:

Regarding "of the street",  do you think it is possible we can skip building #1 and just arrive with our suitcases at the #2  check in ? Any tips for those of us coming in three future would be helpful. Thanks! 

I talked to people who showed up with suitcases at building 1 because they were not aware of the situation with weather damage. They were put on a shuttle bus to building #2 to do the whole process. Perhaps, with carry on bags only it could be possible to skip building #1?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Interesting cruising away from the port in BA.  Reminds me of the Chesapeake Bay leaving Baltimore.  Extremely long.  Sometime around 11 last night passed a ship fairly close going opposite direction, again reminding me of marine traffic near the bay bridge tunnel.  

Rio de la Plata - either the widest river or the widest estuary in the world depending on who you ask.. The border between Uruguay and Argentina.

rio-de-la-plata-16?imgmax=1600

• Like 5

There were several discussions today with some speakers that were very well done.  The first was froma fellow named Jacob Marvin who talked about exploring the lives of those who inhabit the southern most extreme of the South Americas.  

The second was in the afternoon by a guy named Steven Dobbs on what to expect on a scenic cruise to the Antartica Peninsula   Discussed were the Drake passage, ice, weather, spotting and identifying wildlife, and helpful tips.  Both interesting and engaging. 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Rio de la Plata - either the widest river or the widest estuary in the world depending on who you ask.. The border between Uruguay and Argentina.

rio-de-la-plata-16?imgmax=1600

Thanks, the brown areas in the channel area are extreme. Nice pic. For those who do not know, BA is the sprawling gray area bottom right in the pic.  Huge city, especially compared with the rest of the region.  

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Thanks, the brown areas in the channel area are extreme. Nice pic. For those who do not know, BA is the sprawling gray area bottom right in the pic.  Huge city, especially compared with the rest of the region.  

Montevideo, the last port stop of your cruise, is the smaller city to the upper left.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beachlover1989 said:

I’m so excited to follow along! We did this cruise last year in February and I’m looking forward to reliving it!

Thanks for coming along for the ride.

I’m also enjoying following along, thanks for doing this…think I might wait to book until the terminal chaos is sorted 😅 

The itinerary that was posted…a few days are missing, are they sea days? We enjoyed Eclipse to Alaska, hope you have a wonderful time as well. 🥂 
Cathy

19 hours ago, LXA350 said:

Have fun, this must be a once in a lifetime experience. Hope you will have great weather in Antarctica and not to rough seas, also for the stop at Port Stanley which was missed by the previous cruise due to high winds.

How did you manage in Buenos Aires with transportation, you took a regular taxi or Uber?

We booked it online thru a traveler broker before flying.  In cities we are not familiar with, we usually do this due to the lack of familiarity with the airport and city.  Normally we uver where we can.

18 hours ago, sunnyBGI said:

I talked to people who showed up with suitcases at building 1 because they were not aware of the situation with weather damage. They were put on a shuttle bus to building #2 to do the whole process. Perhaps, with carry on bags only it could be possible to skip building #1?

The people we saw and I tried to ask, did not speak fluent english and the communication issue and timing prevented further dialogue. 

11 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

I’m also enjoying following along, thanks for doing this…think I might wait to book until the terminal chaos is sorted 😅 

The itinerary that was posted…a few days are missing, are they sea days? We enjoyed Eclipse to Alaska, hope you have a wonderful time as well. 🥂 
Cathy

Thanks for the kind words.  I believe you are correct on the itinerary.   SO far, we are having great time.   Will be posting more from yesterday with pics.  Woke this morning very foggy and ship horn.

• Like 1