Live: Experienced cruisers try Celebrity 14 day cruise to Antartica on the Eclipse

jimbo5544

3 hours ago, redhead9 said:

We are on this trip in two weeks, so following along with great interest!

Me too!   I've been actively watching the FB groups for this current 1/6 sailing, looking forward to this report for the 1/20 one, before I'm there myself for the next one!!!

8 hours ago, 0106 said:

I am anxious to hear about your embarkation.  I heard there was damage to the cruise terminal and that passengers now drop off luggage at another location and are bussed to the terminal.  Specifically, if you only have carry on luggage can you go directly to the cruise port?  I hope it all goes smoothly for you. Thanks for taking us along.

We shall soon see.   There was much discussion here and on FB about the embark process.  Tor recap, there was a significant storm and the terminal normally used sustained significant damage.  The prior cruise used the process you describe and there was lots of “discussion” on whether we would do the same.   We (and everyone here at the hotel we have run into and discussed this)  received an email two days ago, stating we would do the same thing (what you described).  It will be interesting to say the least.  We also could not complete the pre cruise health check in, more fun to review….  I will report on all of this, hopefully once we are on the ship.  Stay tuned…..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Following along.   I may save you some time as friends are aboard and just looked up the itinerary.

image.thumb.png.4a62ed9473667ac5fdded8d7c501577c.png

Thanks!!!!   Thanks for following along as well.

7 hours ago, saffy12 said:

Me too!   I've been actively watching the FB groups for this current 1/6 sailing, looking forward to this report for the 1/20 one, before I'm there myself for the next one!!!

ASk away with questions along the way.  I will almost certainly report every day of the trip.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jemrtt said:

Following…well, because it’s Antartica!  C’mon! It’s on the bucket list! ☺️

Exactly why we are on this journey.  We spent a lot of time deciding between this one and the one that sailed. Between here and Patagonia (Chile).  May be another time for that one.  Thanks for joining us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

We (and everyone here at the hotel we have run into and discussed this)  received an email two days ago, stating we would do the same thing (what you described).  

Would it be possible for you to post the contents of the email you received?  I hope you have a quick and painless embarkation.

14 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Would it be possible for you to post the contents of the email you received?  I hope you have a quick and painless embarkation.

Think we have it in the room.  Will take a pic and post it.  

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I will add cell phones and other electronics are a hot commodity to steal in BA. Watch yours like a hawk.

This is very true! We did the BA to Valparaiso on Infinity last year and met a woman on the ship who had her phone sitting on the table inside a restaurant and a vender came to the table, spread out his wares and nicked her phone. While eating outside one evening the waiter told us to put our phones away as someone a nearby just had theirs stolen. Our tour guide in Santiago told us, "take the picture, turn the phone off and put it away". If left on, thieves can grab from your hand while open and chance the security code. I'm not trying to be negative but with some simple precautions I hope you have as great a trip as we did with no incidents.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cruisegirlppp said:

This is very true! We did the BA to Valparaiso on Infinity last year and met a woman on the ship who had her phone sitting on the table inside a restaurant and a vender came to the table, spread out his wares and nicked her phone. While eating outside one evening the waiter told us to put our phones away as someone a nearby just had theirs stolen. Our tour guide in Santiago told us, "take the picture, turn the phone off and put it away". If left on, thieves can grab from your hand while open and chance the security code. I'm not trying to be negative but with some simple precautions I hope you have as great a trip as we did with no incidents.

Thanks

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

Here you go.  

IMG_8398.jpeg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Thanks!!!!   Thanks for following along as well.

Looks like a fun cruise.   We have friends from Australia who are also taking the cruise. 

• Like 2

Thank you for posting! Following very closely, as we are going on the same cruise in 4 weeks. Especially curious about how the the boarding process works, as well as any recommendations and observations you make. Also how the weather is, especially crossing down to Antarctica and back up.

1 hour ago, fviken said:

Thank you for posting! Following very closely, as we are going on the same cruise in 4 weeks. Especially curious about how the the boarding process works, as well as any recommendations and observations you make. Also how the weather is, especially crossing down to Antarctica and back up.

On the ship now.   Much more coming on embark.  Ask away during cruise.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dancing Shoes said:

Did you book your own air?  Seeing R/T approx. 6k Delta Select Comfort.

We dis book our own air.  Wife and I had Delta Comfort.  Wife’s cousin from CT flew out of Jfk got the deal of the century on Delta One. We paid 1497/person.  She paid 2500 for Delta One. 

• Like 2

Just signing on.. Great photos!

it will be interesting to hear how you compare Celebrity to your many Carnival cruises. and other lines you've been on...

Eclipse is one of just a few X ships we have not sailed on,   so onboard photos & menus will be appreciated in addition to nature!..Thanks

We were told to

arrive an hour before our assigned check in time.  We did.  This was at the alternate port.  So happens our hotel was WAY closer than the new check in port.   Took about 15 minutes to get in the building.  Two cruises checking in ours and a Costa ship.  Waited  in line about 20 minutes to drop luggage and were  given a number.   We were 26  and they were on 6.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, hcat said:

Just signing on.. Great photos!

it will be interesting to hear how you compare Celebrity to your many Carnival cruises. and other lines you've been on...

Eclipse is one of just a few X ships we have not sailed on,   so onboard photos & menus will be appreciated in addition to nature!..Thanks

Will do my best.  Feel free to ask.   I will give a comparison from my view at end if cruise and along the way.