The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday January 20th, 2024

kazu

Today is International Day of Acceptance, National Buttercrunch Day, and National Cheese Lovers Day

I'd never been in play long enough for the flowers to die in the dressing room. - Mercedes McCambridge

Meal Suggestion for today - Curried Chicken Stew
Drink of the Day - Jack Rose
Wine of the Day - Emilio Vada 2022 Camp Bianc Moscato (Moscato d'Asti)
Destination of the Day - Bari (Puglia), Italy 

Today in History:
1841 China cedes Hong Kong to the British during the 1st Opium War
1921 Republic of Turkey declared out of remnants of Ottoman Empire

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Basseterre St Kitts, Port Zante 08:00 - 17:00 

Koningsdam

Nawiliwili, Lihue, Kauai Island Hawaii 07:00 - 17:00 

Nieuw Amsterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 7:00-15:00 

Nieuw Statendam

Nassau, Bahamas 

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Port Stanley, East Falkland Island eta 01-22

Rotterdam

Cartagena Colombia 08:00 - 14:00 

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico Riviera eta 01-22

Zuiderdam

St Georges Grenada 08:00 - 17:00 

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Timaru, New Zealand 07:00 - 15:00 

Volendam

At Sea Destination Suva, Viti Levu Island Fiji eta 01-22

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Koh Samui Island Thailand eta 01-

• Like 22
  • Thanks 23

Good morning.

It is 41°F in North East England.

I have sold Butter crunch in the UK.

Here we called it Golden nut crunch on its own or Chocolate nut crunch with chocolate encased around it.

It is right to accept everyone regardless of who they are.

I had a cheeseboard after my dinner last night.

We have been to Bari on Royal Caribbean Splendour of the seas sailing from Venice around the Adriatic.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

IMG_20240120_105737.jpg

Screenshot_20240120_105645.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 11

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  It’s a cold start to the day. It’s 15F with wind chills in the single digits. Today’s meal suggestion sounds really good to me, not DH.  I’m planning on making chicken liver which I haven’t had in a long time.  Yesterday work went much easier as the migration is complete on our side. I don’t have much on today’s agenda except for a load of laundry.  I hope everyone has a good day today.
Jasper and Zander got me up for breakfast which also let me watch the NA arrive.

image.thumb.png.1d5d2b9aaba954339bf16764bc76511e.png

• Like 28
  • Haha 7

Good morning friends!  Back down to 19F overnight and a high of 33 today with sunshine.  I'll be glad when this spell of cold weather is over.  Hope everyone has remained safe from dangerous falls or frostbite this past week.

Thanks to Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for posting the Fleet Report and Daily plus the maps for Rich @richwmn.  We appreciate it!  Three lovely days to recognize in very different ways.  The Day of Acceptance is especially nice.  The actress has a funny self-deprecating quote.  No thanks to the curried chicken stew.  Wonder if it has butternut squash in it?  No idea what a Jack Rose is.  Think I'll skip the Moscato.  Interesting days in history.  Thanks go to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for the food and beverage reports.

Prayers said this morning for my DB, twin sister, DBIL, niece Amy, and DGD Morgan.  Today is 4 weeks since Morgan was robbed at gunpoint and it will be a while before she is not afraid to move around alone.  Also friends Scott and Bob.  Scott is still recovering from his heart attacks and Bob is suffering from dementia.  We won't forget to pray for Israel and Ukraine citizens, hostages still held, and the safety of our troops in the region.  And last but not least my friends here on the Daily with health challenges, worries, depression, loss of loved ones and unrelenting pain. 🙏  For those celebrating happy events and those wonderful cruises, enjoy them while you can.  🥂🚢  We're cheering you on from here!  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for our list keeping and I hope you are feeling just a bit better today. 🥰 

The port this morning is Bari, Italy (Puglia).  That was the port only once before on August 4, 2023.  DH and I have not had the pleasure of visiting there but I'm sure it's beautiful since it's in Italy. 🙂  Here's the link for your convenience.

Hope today is a good one for you all!  ❤️

• Like 30
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.  Thanks for the maps.

Another cold one here.  It's -12°C (10°F) with more snow expected.  Other than taking Bertie for a short walk, I think I'll stay in.

Three good days.  It is important to accept others as they are.  I like buttercrunch candy.  I love cheese.

Amusing quote.

I'll pass on the meal, not sure about the drink or the wine.

I'd love to visit Puglia someday.

Prayers for many.  Congrats to @seagarsmoker for the new job.  I hope there are lots of other celebrations too.

Have a good day.  Stay safe and warm.

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from Bassaterre, St. Kitts.  Our first shore excursion since this crud invaded me.  A culinary class. Still coughing but slowly coming out of it.  Leaving Dominica last evening.  Have a nice Saturday and GO RAVENS!

FB_IMG_1705698443453.jpg

FB_IMG_1705451663647.jpg

• Like 34

Good morning. Just waking up and ship movement continues. The ship is only 30,000 tons whereas I think Prisendam was around 37,000 tons. Sea legs are improving epand my Eme Term pulsating motion wrist band stopped a moment of queasiness yesterday. It beats taking meclazine all the time.

We enjoyed a typical sea day. Lot’s of things to do. Art instructor, Bridge Master are available, trivia, lectures and of course a good book and naps. Lot’s of flying fish yesterday which brought on a variety of Boobies and other bird species.

Had an enjoyable dinner at a eight top table with some very interesting fellow guest followed by Captain’s Toast and later a guest comedian.

By now we are getting adjusted and settled into life at sea and we love it.

Thanks for the reports and post. Prayers for those in need and wishes for great weekend. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.2c9630afd256d82c8abe6947d7e826b5.jpegimage.jpeg.0c885c61ad3b7ce19263e9f3912e0b63.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c6b5d7196276af34065e9d681ffd0ea1.jpegimage.jpeg.201aa34b4c121bc399d703dac2810b01.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Haha 20

Good Saturday morning.  Thanks to Roy, Rich, Debbie, Dixie, Ann & Vanessa for their dedication.

Three great days indeed and yum on butter crunch and cheese (I’ll take some crackers with my cheese please 😉).  LOL on the quote.  Wine is too sweet for me today, thanks.  Another c-c-c-cold one but, on the bright side today is the half way mark to Spring.  Not sure why but I often find the last 1/2 seems longer than the first 1/2.

IMG_1457.jpeg.b8c7ac9053e2a23bdd3e17821918d15d.jpeg

Ivan and I were able to carefully walk off the driveway yesterday.  It sure beats trying to get through snow LOL.  Watching where I walk and looking at some driveways and mine is better than some.  Of course, they are not on a hill.  It can snow if you want it too, Mother Nature - just no more ice PLEASE?

IMG_1984.jpeg.a9b2ee5a59bab7723594ba78e6af9902.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems, worries & those that need them 🙏. Cheers to those celebrating & cruising 🥂 

IMG_1961.thumb.jpeg.53c6f4b3c36e6f677b2748d47251681e.jpeg

• Like 41
  • Haha 2

Jack Rose cocktail:

Ingredients
1 1/2 ounces applejack or apple brandy
3/4 ounce lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 ounce grenadine
Garnish: lemon twist

Steps
Add the applejack, lemon juice and grenadine into a shaker with ice, and shake until well-chilled.
Fine-strain into a coupe glass, and garnish with a lemon twist.

Screenshot 2024-01-20 at 7.15.59 AM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 16

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui! Roy, thank you for the maps! I confess to feeling sad when I read your signature. You know your situation better than I do, but I wish there was an option that made cruising still possible for you. 

It is cool & blustery this morning. 39 and the wind is just starting to pick up. Bindi did not dawdle this morning. 

IMG_2443.jpeg.77541a2c108fe065bb4f0ea640e8372e.jpeg

IMG_2439.jpeg.3c17aec3f0804ef8606a3d6148697069.jpeg

Vanessa, thank you for making sure we all know what is happening with us! Praying that you get relief for your pain. Soon.  

Zumba, Bindi walks, chores and dinner at a friend’s.

Last night I enjoyed an amazing burger and the best fries I have ever eaten at the birthday celebration. Usually I might eat one or two fries if they come with the meal - just to say I tried them. But last night’s were amazingly seasoned, crispy on the outside, perfectly cooked and left no grease residue on any of our fingers! I made everyone at the table try them to make sure it wasn’t the wine that made me think this. 😎 Good thing I don’t know how to make these. 

Imagine driving down the highway and seeing this!

IMG_2444.jpeg.db33ec11409ce30a08994550b009c71f.jpeg

IMG_2437.jpeg.8ce266752096cfd083a9360f3e93f3f1.jpeg

IMG_2445.jpeg.d04915f641b3588e9dbcee09c8eae120.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Those suffering from debilitating pain and conditions, facing surgery, grieving the loss of a loved one, in a funk, and our caregivers. 

Thinking of you Terry & Tana.

Cheers to all who are celebrating! @seagarsmoker may this new job be everything you want!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Emilio Vada 2022 Camp Bianc Moscato (Moscato d'Asti)

I might taste this sweet, sparkling wine from Italy even though I usually steer clear of sweet wines. Its sparkling attribute might make it quite enjoyable. A decent number of distributors with online prices starting at $23.99. 

93 Wine Enthusiast 

This superfresh Moscato d'Asti pops out of the glass with fresh wildflowers, lemon candy and juicy nectarine. The fleshly palate is like biting into a superripe peach sprinkled with thyme while holding flowers. Yum! 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 16
  • Haha 3

Thank you Jacqui, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 30

Good 15 degrees out there morning. It’s only going up to 22 today but tomorrow is supposed to be 32 and keep improving next week.

I love cheese and so do the cats. Cheddar is my favorite.

@Crazy For Cats, Jake my kids believe the bowl is always half empty.

Stay safe and warm.

• Like 29
  • Haha 2

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP, gtube

Vmax1700’s DW not feeling well

Ottahand7 with bronchitis and steroid side effects

Ger_77’s DH needing heart valve replacement

RMLincoln’s mourning the passing of her NM friend 

StLouisCruisers’ twin, BIL and niece Amy having Covid

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness; trouble walking

All in the path of storms and frigid temperatures

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck post angioplasty, needing another procedure

Tana with pulmonary issues

RMLincoln’s DH with glaucoma issues, medication allergy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Seagarsmoker getting a new job!

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

Denise T’s good fasting blood sugar

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

6 days for Tupper10 (Rotterdam Jan 26 to Feb 4) 9d Southern Caribbean

Sailingdutchy (Rotterdam to Feb 4, 21d PC Sunfarer & Southern Caribbean Seafarer),Ottahand7 (Eurodam to Feb 24 B2B2B2B2B Caribbean), Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl(Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Cruise), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 23
  • Thanks 21

Good morning, everyone!

It was a very frigid 0F when I got up this morning.  🥶It is now up to 2F with a high forecast of 22F.  After today it starts to warm up a bit.  We are really looking forward to leaving this and landing in San Diego.   It doesn't have to be hot there, just not so frigid.  

Dinner last night was very nice and DB was surprised and elated that we would do that for him.  Food turned out really well and we all enjoyed feasting!  And, I actually won a game of Farkel.  Now, we just have to get through the neighborhood party we're hosting tomorrow night and then we can pull out the suitcases and concentrate on our trip.  

@Crazy For Cats how are you fixing your chicken livers?   Mom used to make a chicken liver casserole that we all loved.  She sauteed the chicken livers and mushrooms in butter and sherry, combined them with sauteed ground beef and onions, and then mixed in sour cream.  All that got mixed with noodles and baked for about a half hour, 45 minutes.  MMMM

This first recipe is for the slow cooker, but can easily be done on the stove top.  I might try this one without the carrots.  https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/267530/curried-chicken-stew/

curriedchickenstew1.thumb.jpg.1054231784abf968f6cc63ca0efb310e.jpg

This one is more like a soup.  In fact, they call it that in the recipe.  https://www.aberdeenskitchen.com/2016/09/curried-chicken-stew/

curriedchickenstew2.thumb.jpg.f4455289c4b3d5b0c4444dab84c88f49.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 14

Greetings from beautiful Punta Gorda 

Another cool but sunny day, tomorrow will be the coldest day of the winter with a low of 43. The good news is we are heading up into the 80s this coming week.

Just back from our favorite diner, had a great ham and cheese omelette

Funny quote

Is butter crunch the same as butter brickle which back in the day cost a nickel

Pass on the meal as I don’t care for curry

My favorite aunt was from Bari, Italy

Have a great day and stay well

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 31

I celebrate International Day of Acceptance because it celebrates diversity.  There are many different kinds of people; we differ in race, gender, language, manners and culture, social roles, sexual orientation, education, skills, income, and countless other domains. Decades of research suggest that intolerance hurts our well-being; individuals thrive when they are able to tolerate and embrace the diversity of the world.  

I will also celebrate Penguin Day.🐧🐧🐧 Hopefully, I will be able to post some of my own photos in February.

Stay warm and Go Ravens!

• Like 40

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors.

National buttercrunch day! My favorite ice cream at Howard Johnson!

National cheese lovers day. Since today is special I do not plan to cut the cheese! 😀

• Like 19
  • Haha 3

@dfish I make chicken liver like my mom taught me.  Dip the liver in flour that has salt and pepper. Then fry them in a cast iron skillet that has butter and some oil.  I make mashed potatoes and when they are ready pour some of that water into the skillet to make a nice gravy with the remaining liver bits.  

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

Good morning. It is all of 15 degrees  now and apparently will feel colder with the wind chill.Cheese is always welcome here and disappears quickly. I will celebrate the days and would love to go to Bari, Italy.

@StLouisCruisers, Sandi, I love the penguin pictures, thanks. I am sorry that your twin, niece and DBIL are ill and hope they start feeling better soon. 
Today I would like to escape the confines of the house. I don’t care what I do or where I go, I need to do something different! 
Have a great day everyone and stay safe

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. It is all of 15 degrees  now and apparently will feel colder with the wind chill.Cheese is always welcome here and disappears quickly. I will celebrate the days and would love to go to Bari, Italy.

@StLouisCruisers, Sandi, I love the penguin pictures, thanks. I am sorry that your twin, niece and DBIL are ill and hope they start feeling better soon. 
Today I would like to escape the confines of the house. I don’t care what I do or where I go, I need to do something different! 
Have a great day everyone and stay safe

Thank you Terry.  I'll be sure to let everyone know when they feel like their old selves again.  🤞

I understand what you're saying about getting out of the house and doing something different.  That sounds like my kids.  They never seem to stay put and are always out and about doing something.  I, however, like to just lounge at home as does DH.  We are real homebodies! 🏚️

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.  Three (or 4 with penguins) great days to celebrate.  While Penguins are mostly in the extreme south they do have colonies a lot further than one would expect. 

I find the  McCambridge quote a bit sad.

Two interesting dates in history; I wish Hong Kong was still in British hands. I have not been to Ben.

I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, Broiled New York Striploin and Cherry Streusel Tart as served on MS Prinsendam January 20, 2019:

dishes20.jpg

A brutally cold day here and will be a special challenge for the Ravens fans.

Roy

• Like 39
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I'm all for acceptance of others, no matter what disability or infirmities they might have.  Yum on the buttercrunch, and yes to the cheese - but as @kazu said, with crackers, please.

It's gradually warming up; right now we're sitting at -15C (5F) which is balmy compared to the temps we've been experiencing this past week.  I might be able to go out with one less layer of clothing today!  Looking ahead there's a warming trend coming through and according to the forecast, next week Sunday we could see a daytime high of 0 (32F).  Go figure!

@Vict0riann I was just reading yesterday's FR&D and saw that Pat is also in need of a heart valve; I hope he gets it soon so you two can continue to travel and enjoy life.

@rafinmdI'm also sad to see your signature, but understand the rationale; it would be terrible to be disembarked at a foreign port all by yourself.  I hope your wonderful cruise memories will bring you happiness.

If anyone is interested the former Rotterdam VI - now Fred Olsen's Borealis is docked at Key West.  I always look at the PTZ Key West port cam because I love seeing the chickens wandering the streets, and this morning saw a ship docked, so had to check it out.

Not a lot on the agenda for us today except for going out and getting a new slicker brush for Sochi.  The one I've been using has been losing the steel teeth and I'd hate to step on one that has gotten lost in the carpet.  I tossed it a couple of days ago and tried to make do with another brush, but as a long haired cat, it just won't suffice.  

I'd like to try the drink of the day, would leave the Moscato to DH (he enjoys sweet wine), and would like a serving of the menu suggestion, but likely won't make it, as I know DH wouldn't appreciate it.  Right now I've got some sweet/spicy Italian sausage thawing that I'll brown up and put into some spaghetti sauce for a pasta casserole that will be served alongside a crunchy salad at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Speaking of casseroles, I'm sure like most of you, I've got a number of Corning ware casserole dishes (in various sizes, shapes and colours).  What do young people use to cook casserole-type meals in?  I can't imagine not having these dishes that literally go from freezer to oven to table.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, and in wars.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 36
  • Thanks 2