Do not cruise with Celebrity Cruises!

Do not cruise with celebrity cruises! They false advertised and mis-represented their “all inclusive package”. When i brought it to their attention they changed their website within 48hrs and gave me a $50 credit to shut me up. However, i advised them that it was not sufficient because more than likely, hundreds of guest had already seen the false advertisement and probably made purchases having no idea that the service would be different after boarding. That is not right! It is a predatory business practice that is illegal. When i mentioned this corey starr canceled and refunded my reservations abruptly due to “excessive complaints” and “threats communicated”?” i have never made any threats to sue them, i simply mentioned the practice was illegal. So when i asked them for the specific “threats communicated” i never received a response. I even reached out to the current president, laura hodges bethge. No one ever replied. They truly do not care about their customers or patrons. This is a very sad representation of “big business” and “corporate bullying” to keep people quiet and stop them from standing up for what is right. They take advantage of hard working, middle class americans and bully them for speaking up instead of acknowledging a mistake and making it right. Do not give your money to a company that practices these arrogant and predatory behaviors. Choose a different cruise line! 

• Like 1

Specifically, what was falsely advertised and mis-represented in the all inclusive package?

Did you book a cruise when you saw the ad/promotion, or was the promotion ad gone when you returned to book the cruise?

When we purchased the "All-Inclusive Package" it showed a list of the specific liquor types included such as Titos, Absolute, Jim Beam, and Don Julio. We decided that was a suitable package and made the purchase. The next day after we made the purchase, we logged in and saw the list was completely different and did not include those at all. It was lower shelf brands and we would need to pay additional for the "Premium Package" to get the list advertised initially... Even worse, the initial list advertised is only shown to new buyers on the initial booking screen. So the only way to see the list again is to sign out and browse the website like a new booker. This is how I was able to screen shot how there were two different advertisements and submit a complaint. When I brought it to their attention, they said it was an "IT Error" and the packages had been updated a few weeks ago to change the included liquors but the website is not yet "updated". Magically, the website was updated within 48hrs of my call and they upgraded my beverage package to "premium" at no cost...At this point, upgrading my package to "premium" just to give me what I already thought I paid for was unacceptable...According to them, the packages had changed 3-4 weeks before the website was "updated" to reflect said package. So how many patrons purchased the classic package during those weeks, and boarded the ship expecting to get certain brands/cocktails and were told it was not included once boarded? When I said that was blatant false advertising and mis-representation which is illegal, they canceled my trip and said I could not sail with them due to the "threats" communicated. I have asked several times specifically what "threats" were communicated as I never threated to sue them or made any other threats. They have never responded. I even emailed the president, Laura, and she never replied. They truly DO NOT CARE about their customers or patrons. This is a very sad representation of “Big Business” and “Corporate Bullying” to keep people quiet and stop them from standing up for what is right. They take advantage of hard working, middle class Americans and bully them for speaking up instead of acknowledging a mistake and making it right. Do not give your money to a company that practices these arrogant and predatory behaviors. Choose a different cruise line!

• Like 1

First time poster with an axe to grind. Cruiselines don't cancel a booking and give lifetime bans for no reason. We are getting only one, agitated, side of the story, so pardon me if I find all the accusations a bit over the top.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, CruisingNicole said:

Magically, the website was updated within 48hrs of my call and they upgraded my beverage package to "premium" at no cost.

My friend, Celebrity made you whole by acknowledging their mistake and upgrading your Beverage package from Classic to Premium.  It would have been okay for you to just accept it and look forward to your cruise.  And I have to say that sadly you won't get to enjoy Celebrity's Martini Bar, or the World Class Bar. 

It must have taken a lot within the conversation that you had with a Celebrity rep to have cancelled your cruise and refunded your deposit.

• Like 2

"Could not sail with them" on that trip does not equal "lifetime ban". Also, upgrading MY package does not mean they "made whole" the other patrons affected, which is the point of the complaint. I do not believe a company of that size has "IT errors" that last for weeks that are convenient to their profitable benefit. It was false advertising and I called them out on it.  And to be clear, I have no interest in ever experiencing anything Celebrity Cruise's has to offer. I am posting for others to be aware of the terms and practices by this particular cruise line. There are plenty other cruise lines and Martini Bars to enjoy. 🙂

I’m guessing you are new to cruising? Cruise lines make changes all of the time, it might be a week before your cruise, gratuities go up, cabin cleanings twice a day go down to 1, shows are replaced, policies change, ports switch, prices go up and down - it’s all very fluid, trust me they have excellent legal teams and it’s all covered in your cruise contract. Websites take time to catch up. I think celebrity was being generous, I’ve seen websites offer some incredible deals in error, folks book and whatever was in error is cancelled by the cruise line.

Did you really think the ceo of a huge corporation was going to get back to you? Someone who was banned?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruisingNicole said:

Do not cruise with celebrity cruises! They false advertised and mis-represented their “all inclusive package”. When i brought it to their attention they changed their website within 48hrs and gave me a $50 credit to shut me up. However, i advised them that it was not sufficient because more than likely, hundreds of guest had already seen the false advertisement and probably made purchases having no idea that the service would be different after boarding. That is not right! It is a predatory business practice that is illegal. When i mentioned this corey starr canceled and refunded my reservations abruptly due to “excessive complaints” and “threats communicated”?” i have never made any threats to sue them, i simply mentioned the practice was illegal. So when i asked them for the specific “threats communicated” i never received a response. I even reached out to the current president, laura hodges bethge. No one ever replied. They truly do not care about their customers or patrons. This is a very sad representation of “big business” and “corporate bullying” to keep people quiet and stop them from standing up for what is right. They take advantage of hard working, middle class americans and bully them for speaking up instead of acknowledging a mistake and making it right. Do not give your money to a company that practices these arrogant and predatory behaviors. Choose a different cruise line! 

Sounds like they decided they don’t want you as a customer. They have the right to refuse you service just like you have a right not to use their service. 

• Like 1

It is the cruise lines responsibility to insure their advertisements are correct and true to what is being advertised. Period. And yes, I would expect an executive who is contacted to research the practices of their team, insure it is being handled properly, and reply to concerns and inappropriate practices. But then again, Celebrity Cruise has shown they do not operate with honesty, integrity, or professionalism. So you have a point there.... 

• Haha 1

At least you have the satisfaction of knowing that you publicly called out Celebrity, and that you have another cruise line (Princess) that you think highly of to book any future cruises on.  You can move forward without having to consider sailing with Celebrity ever again.  You made your point (and good for you they took care of your situation), and Celebrity will never see a single dollar from you. 

This is kinda' a win-win for you.

Expecting a Celebrity personal travel consultant, or a call center staffer to some how correct or even acknowledge that perhaps other people who may have booked under the same conditions as you initially did, should also be compensated as you were (upgraded beverage pkg, plus $50 OBC), is expecting too much.

I am guessing that the employee who took the time to upgrade your beverage package, and give you $50 in OBC did everything they could do at their employment level.  While they may have been sympathetic to your sincerely held beliefs - these hourly workers can't help the other anonymous folks who may have booked under a similar promotion. 

I think that it is unfair to put an hourly wage earner in a position to have to listen to a customer recount the corporate misdeeds / false advertising and mis-representation - especially after they were able to correct your booking.  This employee was able to help you, but why subject them to  your prolonged arguments about corporate misdeeds in terms of what may have happened to others?  What did you think an hourly level employee could do beyond helping the person on the phone (you)?

2 hours ago, CruisingNicole said:

When I said that was blatant false advertising and mis-representation which is illegal,

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 2

I do not believe a company of that size has "IT errors" that last for weeks

I’ve worked in IT for 40 years, and I can assure you that your statement is absolutely incorrect.

• Like 3

I do not expect hourly workers to care. However, I do expect high-paid, salaried executives to have concern about the practices implemented in their business. Celebrity Cruises will never receive a dollar from me. And I will continue to share my experience in hopes that big businesses will become more honest.

@CruisingNicole, Seriously, its not so much the particular cruise line that is being defended, it more like challenging unreasonable behavior or expectation.  Celebrity corrected its error, but that wasn't enough.  Sometimes posters can't see the forest for the trees, and at least for me, I am trying to say that IMO, the conversation with a Celebrity employee who a corrected beverage package level to Premium, and gave an OBC bonus of $50 for any inconvenience paid off. That is a positive story and outcome.  

Whether someone want to crusade against Celebrity, or any other cruise line, is up to them but sometimes hearing from reasonable, regular people who don't have a dog in the fight can be helpful.

From the outside looking in, one can say that you were ahead of the game until a line was crossed and Celebrity cancelled the cruise.  IMO, to hear that a customer service employee resorted to cancelling a cruise booking due to the customer's statements speaks volumes to me.  As the saying goes - you should have stopped while you were ahead.  But, as you said, you are happy to be rid of Celebrity, and happy to sail with Princess.  A win-win for you.

• Like 1

IMO, settling for the upgrade is selfish because I am the only one benefiting when others were affected. It's not about me. Its about what is right. And to me, accepting that $50 credit (which was only offered after the fact) is saying that its okay to false advertise, as long as you give a small credit to the person that catches you. Those are not my principals and that is wrong. In addition to that, the way you treat people sets the tone. And instead of being apologetic, they were very dismissive and arrogant about the whole thing. Had they shown grace and done what was right from the beginning, I wouldn't be posting. It is time for big businesses to be held accountable. 

21 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

@CruisingNicole, Seriously, its not so much the particular cruise line that is being defended, it more like challenging unreasonable behavior or expectation.  Celebrity corrected its error, but that wasn't enough.  Sometimes posters can't see the forest for the trees..

Whether someone want to crusade against Celebrity, or any other cruise line, is up to them but sometimes hearing from reasonable, regular people who don't have a dog in the fight can be helpful.

Agree completely.  Just because there are comments that don't support a given posters point of view, or question their position, or offer a different perspective that contradicts their position, doesn't mean they are defending the point of their contention.  It may just be an objective viewpoint that is contrary to theirs. 

But it then becomes too easy to just label those who don't agree as cheerleaders or defending (the cruise lines) instead of acknowledging that differing opinions can exists.  Upset at not being supported in their view, they just continue to press their point. Happens every day.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, CruisingNicole said:

IMO, settling for the upgrade is selfish because I am the only one benefiting when others were affected. It's not about me. Its about what is right. And to me, accepting that $50 credit (which was only offered after the fact) is saying that its okay to false advertise, as long as you give a small credit to the person that catches you. Those are not my principals and that is wrong. In addition to that, the way you treat people sets the tone. And instead of being apologetic, they were very dismissive and arrogant about the whole thing. Had they shown grace and done what was right from the beginning, I wouldn't be posting. It is time for big businesses to be held accountable. 

As I said earlier a class action law suit is the only way to hold them accountable. Posting here doesn't affect them at all. Your post will not dissuade anyone from booking with them. Good luck.

• Like 2

So file a class action lawsuit if you believe this to be the case ...