A reality post: what happens if your spouse dies on a cruise?

ghstudio

1 hour ago, ghstudio said:

Thanks for all the responses so far. Who helps with logistics when you get off the ship...hotel room, flight home for you and who arranges sending the body home, do you have to contact a local (foreign) funeral home, coroner, ????  None of this is a financial question....it's a process question....who has to do what...or really, what/how much would my spouse (or I) have to arrange vs the insurance company, consolate, Holland America, shore agent, etc.

In the case of my friend, the ship helped with the hotel room - recommended a hotel.  She was accompanied to the hotel with the luggage.

Flight home is done in conjunction with you and your insurance company.  They will arrange if you trust them to do it properly.

As hard as it is, just like when you lose your loved one at home, there are always things the one left behind has to do.  there is help but you still have to do some of it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Oh my. Well at least the passenger did not die in your check in lane.

We have had passengers collapse in the check-in line.  At that moment I was not at the check-in counter.  Coincidentally, it was a passenger that had been posting on the West Coast Boards asking about walking a ped/bike trail from the DT Seattle Waterfront to Pier 91.  Myself and I think @Glaciers tried to dissuade him, but he really wanted to do it, so we gave him the info that he needed.  The day he decided to walk was during a true heat wave. When he arrived at the pier he must have been dehydrated and collapsed during check-in.  He didn't want outside medical attention (EMT), and after resting and drinking some water he got on the ship.  I was able to connect the incident with the individual poster because he posted about what happened to him after he returned from his cruise. We actually traded some posts about the incident.

PS - generally speaking, I don't recommend passengers walking along that ped/bike trail from DT Seattle to Pier 91.  Basically, once you start the trail, you are committed until you get to Pier 91.  There is no exit along the way, and it is in a quasi industrial area.  I just don't recommend it.

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I think I remember that during last year’s world cruise a gentleman travelling alone had passed away while they were cruising around Africa. The grandson (or nephew) had come here for some advice as far as how to proceed repatriating the remains. It sounded like this man had left good instructions with his family but things were made more difficult because of the part of the world the ship was in at the time. I can’t find the thread right now, but I think things did work out. A very sad situation, but it highlights how important it is for a solo traveller in particular to have full information and instructions for loved ones at home. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think this is a creepy subject at all, it's just a necessary one.  Similar to a previous poster we keep a file with all our financial and insurance info in our safe and let everyone in the family know where it is.

Beyond that, this past year, we sent a letter to our close family members to let them know how to handle things when (not should, remember we all go) die.  We told them to have our remains cremated where ever we are in the world, not to have a memorial service and basically do whatever is easiest and best for them.  We'll be dead, we won't care.  We wanted to make sure they had no guilt about any of this process.  Have fun with the insurance money!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Oddly enough, this is something we have discussed recently for our upcoming cruise.  Lightheartedly, but seriously, because we would both react in very different ways.

Some interesting info here, thank you for sharing.  It is a sensitive subject requiring compassion.

• Like 3

That is a great question! I have no idea how that would work, but sort of on a related topic, we were on The Nieuw Amsterdam over Christmas. Already at lunch, my husband 69, started feeling weird with some chest pains. It didn't get better and around 6pm we decided to go down to the medical center. Turns out he had AFib with a bpm of 170. They thought he was going to have a heart attack at any second. They ran all kinds of tests, including a blood test. They gave him some IV thing and put him on medication. We were there about 2 1/2 hours before we went back to our room. Now, having been to ERs in the US and also know that cruise lines tend to make things extra costly sometimes, I was bracing myself for the bill. I was floored to find out that the bill was only $596!!! Had that been here in the US at a hospital ER it would have been in the thousands. The doctor and the nurse were also extremely nice and knowledgeable. Another reason HAL is our favorite.  🙂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We live in Texas. We have a best old school friend in Georgia who owns a mortuary. We have him connected with us on every cruise. He can get us A:

Sent home.  B. Cremated and held or shipped to home port. We aren't worried since our primary told us you can sit home wringing your hands or enjoy your cruise  which may be cut short

Go for happiness 

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Additional factor: can remains be cremated at a particular foreign port? If that is the decedent's wishes. 

Yes, I've seen this twice on 2 different HAL World Cruises.  Ashes were delivered to the ship at a subsequent port and the family or partner continued on.  It's what I've told my DH to do and also, probably what I would do with him. 

Linda R.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

I think I remember that during last year’s world cruise a gentleman travelling alone had passed away while they were cruising around Africa. The grandson (or nephew) had come here for some advice as far as how to proceed repatriating the remains. It sounded like this man had left good instructions with his family but things were made more difficult because of the part of the world the ship was in at the time. I can’t find the thread right now, but I think things did work out. A very sad situation, but it highlights how important it is for a solo traveller in particular to have full information and instructions for loved ones at home. 

Great memory.  Here is the thread:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, whogo said:

I have seen cruising couples where one of them is obviously suffering from dementia. Think what would happen if the care giver partner were to die.

Wow, that’s a really good point. We’ve seen this too. It would be really important in cases like these for the caregiving partner to make sure pertinent staff are aware of the partner’s illness.

Years ago, I took a river cruise ( German line) in France, and as part of their version of a “cruise personalizer” I was asked for my travel insurance name and contact information so that the cruise line could help quickly if they could not contact my emergency contact in the US.  I thought that was great idea.  I wish there were some place to register that information with Guest Relations on an ocean cruise.

• Like 5

On 1/24/2024 at 11:00 AM, kazu said:

I was medically disembarked in Puerto Vallarta, Terri and I had my own insurance as well as HAL’s Platinum.  HAL’s Care people were touching base with me on a regular basis.  The hospital had a representative to assist travellers and she was excellent and very helpful and on the phone with my primary insurance company.

I was alone - so fellow solos, while it’s scary - you can do it and get through it (although my BP soared LOL).  

In that scenario HAL’s Plantinum insurance covered my days lost cruising, and paid me the max on my medical expenses since my primary insurance refused.  that decision was appealed and is now under re-consideration.  Of course, if they pay then I will have to repay HAL but with the significant expenditure I had, I was very grateful that HAL’s platinum came through.  It’s been over a year so I’m grateful for the bird in the hand from HAl’s Platinum insurance.

I always took it for cancellation only and while the medical is not enough for most circumstances, it helps.

Hi, kazu,

Thanks for your always good adice.

Jim

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Suzanne123 said:

Years ago, I took a river cruise ( German line) in France, and as part of their version of a “cruise personalizer” I was asked for my travel insurance name and contact information so that the cruise line could help quickly if they could not contact my emergency contact in the US.  I thought that was great idea.  I wish there were some place to register that information with Guest Relations on an ocean cruise.

That is a good idea.  that’s not available (yet) but if you have HAL’s Platinum insurance, they are notified right away and their CARE department contacts you.  I was contacted in less than 12 hours in Puerto Vallarta by them.

One thing I recommend - ir your contact number on the HAl site is your land line, change it to your cell phone even if it’s just for your cruise.  It makes things easier for them and you.

• Like 2

What a great conversation. As I now approach my mid 80s (age wise), these are great things to think about. We are planning three trips in the next year, two land based and one cruise. Before embarking on those trips, I am going to institute a travel plan that incorporates many of these ideas and circulate them to my family. Thanks for all the great tips. Keep them coming.

Jim

• Like 3

Great and timely topic.   It prompted my wife and  I to review our wishes and processes prior to our upcoming one month cruise .   We now have all our ducks in a row so to speak should it unfortunately happen to one of us.  Thank you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kazu said:

One thing I recommend - ir your contact number on the HAl site is your land line, change it to your cell phone even if it’s just for your cruise.  It makes things easier for them and you.

Land line???  What's that?  Are you an 80 year old Boomer?  Us 'utes don't have no land lines!  😎🍷

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DCThunder said:

Land line???  What's that?  Are you an 80 year old Boomer?  Us 'utes don't have no land lines!  😎🍷

Nope, sorry to disappoint.  My cell was attached to my hip when I worked and now it is not.  Far prefer talking on a regular pone than my smart phone.  Lots of people have them here (and smart phones 😉)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, DCThunder said:

Sorry, our phones go into airplane mode as soon as we cross the border.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My single cruising friend has emergency plans written down, complete with Funeral arrangements to be made.  Upon arriving at her cabin, she puts the papers in a prominent place in her cabin and notifies her room stewards.  Then she will tell others she meets on the ship that the stewards no where everything is in case of her illness or death.

I admire her thinking and wanted to share with other single cruisers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

On 1/25/2024 at 2:23 PM, DCThunder said:

Yeah, I am an 80-year-old with a landline as well as a cell. I do not give out my cell number.

• Like 2

On past cruises, we were at Half Moon Quay on day 2.  A passenger went into cardiac arrest on the beach, which we saw responders addressing on our way back to the tender.  The Capt that evening gave a toast and acknowledged that a passenger had died on the beach.  Did not see how that person was disembarked.

Last cruise, a passenger had a medical issue one evening.  Caribbean itinerary.  We ended up with an unscheduled day at Grand Turk and missed the Half Moon Cay planned stop so the patient could be off loaded in Grand Turk and repatriated to Florida from there.  The Capt did also make an announcement to that effect as the planned schedule changed.  I felt it was handled very well. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 4:22 PM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I usually add a few days pre and/or post cruise, so I don't use the cruise line insurance. I want to be covered door-to-door. 

I had to smile at the several remarks about this being creepy, but necessary. My emergency contact is my SIL, and before each trip I call her to remind her I'm emailing itinerary and insurance info. Also where the "black file" is. That's the file with all the important stuff, like will, deed to the house, bank accounts, power of attorney. We joke about it being the "morbid phone call."

On 1/24/2024 at 6:25 PM, Cruise NH said:

I don't think this is a creepy subject at all, it's just a necessary one.  Similar to a previous poster we keep a file with all our financial and insurance info in our safe and let everyone in the family know where it is.

Beyond that, this past year, we sent a letter to our close family members to let them know how to handle things when (not should, remember we all go) die.  We told them to have our remains cremated where ever we are in the world, not to have a memorial service and basically do whatever is easiest and best for them.  We'll be dead, we won't care.  We wanted to make sure they had no guilt about any of this process.  Have fun with the insurance money!

While its an unpleasant thought, stuff happens and its best to be prepared, both for you and your spouse and whoever has to take care of things in the event you both suffer an accident. 

Ditto for us. I have the trip details and the "Just in Case" letter which gives all the basic information on on our wishes and financial information and contacts. This is either mailed or hand delivered to my SIL/BIL before we depart. Part of the standard instructions is that the sealed "Just In  Case" letter be shredded when we return.  As we also have a small business, it has our CPA, client contacts and info on outstanding bills/invoices. Its more of a concise summary, as it also has information on the pointers to where to find the detailed information. This really import stuff is in a small fire safe and the remainder in a 2 file cabinets, the locations of which are detailed in the "JIC" letter. 

• Like 1

Guess I am just an irresponsible kid ( 67 ) this had never crossed my mind , and I am a HUGE fan of lists and letters 😄 next cruise is 10/24 , so I have some time to get things together , open to ideas and suggestions , what should i include ? just the basics , there is a will in place to cover a the earthly junk , oops earthly goods  haha , 

insurance #'s , HAL #'s, local embassy # , basic immediate funeral plans. what am i missing ???