Beer

davy jones

We will be sailing on Enchanted Princess.  Looking at the menu below, the beer selection shows a list of mass market beers.  I can find a couple to drink on the list, but are there any venues with more interesting options?

image.png.8f4f99b36d56039bf25be8eafe486d5a.png

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, davy jones said:

We will be sailing on Enchanted Princess.  Looking at the menu below, the beer selection shows a list of mass market beers.  I can find a couple to drink on the list, but are there any venues with more interesting options?

image.png.8f4f99b36d56039bf25be8eafe486d5a.png

They'll carry a few local beers too, depending on where they are sailing. 

Alaska, you'll get a few Alaskan/PNW products.

British Isles, you'll get Guinness Draught in the can, and a few others.  

I've found that the beer menu in the Wheelhouse Bar is more varied than at other bars (Chimay, Ballast Point, Pirate, etc.). Since Enchanted doesn't have a Wheelhouse Bar, check out the Crown Grill bar or Salty Dog Gastropub bar menu. They may have a few selections that aren't on the menu at other bars. 

I am not a "beer snob" or craft beer aficionado.  My go to brew is mass produced, but not listed.  Therefore, I must seek other beers.  I also like to try new beers when on I have a beverage package.

• Like 1

In the past ships I've been on often have the Fosters Oil Cans.  might not be the best beer but there still nothing like stopping at the first bar when getting back on the ship in a hot an humid region and grabbing a big cold beer!

2 hours ago, davy jones said:

I am not a "beer snob" or craft beer aficionado.  My go to brew is mass produced, but not listed.  Therefore, I must seek other beers.  I also like to try new beers when on I have a beverage package.

Same here. Enjoying a Budweiser as I'm reading and typing. Thanks for posting the Beers and More menu.

On Enchanted in October, they had Piraat at the Crown Grill Bar and Carlsberg at Princess Live. This was a European cruise, so I don't know if that will be true on a North American cruise.

It is frustrating, as it seems there are sometimes beers not on the menu  and only at certain bars....so always ask the bartender what they have that's not on the menu...

Last year in the Regal it was hit or miss for an IPA. Usually only at the pool bar, and only one choice. Room service did not have them. Had better luck with Peroni. We got 6 bottles unopened and kept them in our room refrigerator. 
Bring a bottle opener as the cabin steward may not have extra.

They’ve had Sam Adams Boston lager my last two cruises.  On CB it was from Mexico in March and predated the reformulation. I never found a bar that had anything special on that sailing.  We did sail Sapphire in September and there were 5 Alaskan beers available at any bar where I ordered one.

You can't really know until you get to the ship, since each individual bar will have certain beers and not all bartenders know what's in their fridge and what's in back somewhere, and many don't care, since other alcohol drinks have a higher profit margin. So when you're on the ship, visit different bars and ask around--avoiding peak times would be the best option, so they have time to search their fridge and storage in back. The ocean now delivery is completely worthless, since nobody knows which bar has which beers or if they have any at all from the list, and even import beer taps in the bars are often just empty. I found a really nice Good Spirits bartender on Majestic once who pulled out all her craft and foreign beers for me to look at, and so I tried different ones. I was on Royal after it came back from Australia, and they were trying to get rid of about a dozen kinds of Australian beer, so I tried most of them, looking up ratings on Beer Advocate and other sites. In my experience, only NCL, with its District brewhouse, and Cunard, because it's British, doesn't have just a lot of mass-market beers.  My solution is to save most of my beer drinking for ports, trying local ones, searching out craft beer spots, and meeting locals in the process. I also like buying Grolsch on ships, since it has a resealable bottle so I can carry it around the ship and store unfinished ones in my fridge, and it's 16 oz so more bang for your buck.

It's a shame they stopped their partnership with, I forget the name, but it was a California craft brewery. Was maybe 5-10 years ago.

The Sea Witch IPA was great, would choose it over a Lagunitas any day of the week. Had a few other craft selections as well such as a brown ale and lager. 

10 minutes ago, nymshowdown said:

It's a shame they stopped their partnership with, I forget the name, but it was a California craft brewery. Was maybe 5-10 years ago.

The Sea Witch IPA was great, would choose it over a Lagunitas any day of the week. Had a few other craft selections as well such as a brown ale and lager. 

We found the Sea Witch IPA to be lacking. I don't have a problem with Lagunitas but am pretty tired of almost everything in California being an IPA. Why can't I get a decent Brown Ale? Princess has had various beers that have come and gone and varied by the ship. My wife used to order Newcastle on tap but that's a thing of the past. (I don't find Newcastle to be a great Brown Ale but my wife likes it. The absolute best Brown Ale I have had to date was Coopersmith Brewing in Fort Collins, Colorado. It was wonderful stuff.)

On Alaska cruises - and also on ships that have just finished their Alaska season and moved on to other itineraries - it is normal to find Alaska Brewing Company beers. There are usually 4 different varieties and they make my wife very happy. The selection has rarely been what I would call great. We used to just drink Bass Ale on the ship as it was the best choice for us out of what was offered. Of course we haven't seen Bass on any of our cruises since the restart. We just have to take it cruise by cruise and see what is offered. We tend to find Heineken and Dos Equis in our mini bar. My wife doesn't care for either one of those. I can drink them but they aren't my favorites. I solve the issue by mostly drinking Bourbon and Scotch on the ship. 😉

• Like 2

20 hours ago, doghog said:

Same here. Enjoying a Budweiser as I'm reading and typing. Thanks for posting the Beers and More menu.

Mine is Yuengling lager.  If you walk into a bar where I live and ask for a lager, that is what you will be given.  I like it better than Sam.  It is available on MSC, but I haven't seen it on any other cruise line.

Edited by davy jones
add a comment
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, davy jones said:

Mine is Yuengling lager.  If you walk into a bar where I live and ask for a lager, that is what you will be given.  I like it better than Sam.  It is available on MSC, but I haven't seen it on any other cruise line.

Yuengling is my beer of choice at home. I'm pretty sure I saw it offered once pre covid.

19 hours ago, rj59 said:

. I also like buying Grolsch on ships, since it has a resealable bottle so I can carry it around the ship and store unfinished ones in my fridge, and it's 16 oz so more bang for your buck.

Grolsch is my choice while cruising or Heinekens if Grolsch isn't available. I prefer glass bottle over an aluminum can. But getting a 16oz beer for the price of all the other 12oz beers is nice. I'll drink Grolsch at home for a special occasion only because what I pay for a 4 pack, I can get a 12 pack of Yuengling for a little more.

23 hours ago, Thrak said:

We found the Sea Witch IPA to be lacking.

I think contract is over with them.

Depending on where you cruise, Princess has some nice beers on the menu.

0318_20230504_123600.thumb.jpg.09d3dca556427fba8a10307eeff76dd2.jpg

23 hours ago, Thrak said:

I don't have a problem with Lagunitas but am pretty tired of almost everything in California being an IPA.

Not so many years ago, Princess only had that main stream stuff on board. Things have changed. Enjoy your Lagunitas (lightyears better than a Miller Lite). 😁

Edited by EDVM96