Another Luminae question

kasowell2

Don’t shoot me for asking this question that has been asked a lot of times but the search feature does not allow you to do a Boolean search to narrow down the results. On Solstice class ships since Luminae is next to main dining are you still able to order from the main dining menu? Just wondering since Celebrity has lowered so many amenities (except prices) was just wondering if the cut that from the cruising experience. I know it not realistic to ask in the Edge class ships since the dining rooms are on separate floors 

This was an issue for us on our first E class sailing. I love the food in Luminae but it can be a little much for my husband, who's very much a straightforward-food, meat-and-potatoes kind of guy. He'd been in the habit of requesting the MDR menu in Luminae on past cruises on S class ships. Our waiter overheard us talking about it and told my husband that if he ordered the previous day, they could get him things from the MDR menu. He only did it a couple of times, and I don't think he ever did it for an entree, because we knew it was an imposition.

Another time I was saying I'd love to have French onion soup (we had a lot of cold, rainy weather on the cruise) and wondered where I could get some, and the waiter said, "Come for lunch tomorrow and we'll have it." So I did, and they did.

We had a fair amount of leftover OBC at the end of the cruise and used it for extra tips for "our" people in Luminae - they were amazing.

We're back in S class (Reflection) on our cruise next month, but in a veranda cabin. I'm going to be crying the blues that we can't go to Luminae!

On E-class you can order from something they call the "classic" menu - things not on the menu but they have every night.  IIRC,  strip steak, chicken breast, salmon.    Some appetizers like escargot and shrimp cocktail.  And desserts, chocolate cake (fabulous!), creme brulee and ice cream.

As I understand it, on E-class, the Luminae kitchen is not close to the MDR kitchen and so everything on the menu is not available.  

On 1/27/2024 at 8:35 AM, twins_to_alaska said:

I often just search with google "cruisecritic luminae edge mdr blu menus".

Another method which will return only posts from this board would be to google "luminae edge mdr blu menus site:boards.cruisecritic.com"

We were on Edge and noticed there was Calves liver on the Lunch menu in the MDR. They arranged for us to have it for dinner, it was fantastic.

Edited by swigso

I don't want to start a new topic, but does anyone know why I can't see the Luminae menus in the app for our Feb 25th edge cruise?  I did get my cabin by a move up offer.  I can't see Blu either. 

@Jim_Iain Do you know? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, calicakes said:

I don't want to start a new topic, but does anyone know why I can't see the Luminae menus in the app for our Feb 25th edge cruise?  I did get my cabin by a move up offer.  I can't see Blu either. 

@Jim_Iain Do you know? 

Yes too early.    They generally do not load the menus until closer to the cruise when it is a change to an itinerary.   In your case the two cruises before you are To and From Sydney to Auckland.    Yours is a Sydney Return to the Great Barrier Reef.

If you look at the current January 25th cruise it will probably be close to what you can expect.

Edge has really been bad about posting menus.  On our Singapore to Sydney they didn't post until 2 days prior to the cruise and many of them were wrong. 

1 hour ago, calicakes said:

I did get my cabin by a move up offer.  I can't see Blu either. 

I didn't read that last sentence until after I replied.   Congratulations on the Move Up.    I have always enjoyed Blu.     To be honest on E-Class I thing you have better menu selections than Luminae. 

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I didn't read that last sentence until after I replied.   Congratulations on the Move Up.    I have always enjoyed Blu.     To be honest on E-Class I thing you have better menu selections than Luminae. 

Well hopefully they will let me eat at blue if I so desire.

1 minute ago, calicakes said:

Well hopefully they will let me eat at blue if I so desire.

OOps.. I saw the remark of Blu and thought you were upgraded to Aqua but your got the big upgrade to Retreat.     You will be ale to dine in Blu and MDR on space available basis.   Never been turned down.   I often ask the MD at Blu --- What would be a good time if we wanted to dine in Blu.    They usually have a good feel to how each cruise dine. 

On 1/26/2024 at 5:56 PM, Gordoncruickshank said:

On all Solstice class ships you can order from the main dining room menu as the kitchens are in the same space.

The nearby kitchen kitchens is the critical issue. (S and M- class)  This is apparently not the case on E-case and thus difficult to order from anything but the luminae menu when in Luminae.

I was able to order from main dining and Blu on the Apex recently - they did say it might not be hot and might take a while, but both times were fine.  I also switched out a lot of proteins - in general I changed their roasted steaks for a filet a few times.

On 1/30/2024 at 9:04 AM, CruiseRQA said:

On E-class you can order from something they call the "classic" menu - things not on the menu but they have every night.  IIRC,  strip steak, chicken breast, salmon.    Some appetizers like escargot and shrimp cocktail.  And desserts, chocolate cake (fabulous!), creme brulee and ice cream.

As I understand it, on E-class, the Luminae kitchen is not close to the MDR kitchen and so everything on the menu is not available.  

7 hours ago, SusieAV8R said:

The nearby kitchen kitchens is the critical issue. (S and M- class)  This is apparently not the case on E-case and thus difficult to order from anything but the luminae menu when in Luminae.

You are both correct. On E class the kitchens are at opposite ends of the ship.  Also Luminae is on Deck 12 on E Class and the MDR's on decks 3 & 4, so about as far from apart as they could be on the ship.