What are your thoughts on discussing politics in the MDR?

thermal

11 minutes ago, capriccio said:

There are federal careers (especially in the intelligence community and certain military occupations) that can't be disclosed even to family at times.  And for some, that restriction continues into retirement.  That's not to say they aren't proud of what they do. 

Again...c'mon.  I know it's cool to act that way sometimes but in reality, that's more of a movie thing.  Those careers are very few and far between.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Again...c'mon.  I know it's cool to act that way sometimes but in reality, that's more of a movie thing.  Those careers are very few and far between.  

I'm not cool but I guess my reality has been very different from yours.  How would you know? They wouldn't tell you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, capriccio said:

I'm not cool but I guess my reality has been very different from yours.  How would you know? They wouldn't tell you.

I know because I work in the industry.  😉

3 hours ago, zdcatc12 said:

Yes, that is when we earned the money. Usually things are pretty canned, i.e. everyone on the same, route, speed, etc. It is when the thunderstorms and turbulence come along that we earn our pay!!

And thank goodness you and your colleagues did an excellent job. Or else we'd be reading of a lot of plane crashes.

3 hours ago, clo said:

That's two of the WOWs and a WOW that we're in the same age group. Probably. Oh, and WOW that you still remember it 🙂

Hard to forget, especially since the site is now known as Bethel Woods and we have been to many concerts there over the years.

Now sometimes I forget things like did I take my vitamin or did I brush my teeth, but the Woodstock festival is not something I forget.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Hard to forget, especially since the site is now known as Bethel Woods and we have been to many concerts there over the years.

Now sometimes I forget things like did I take my vitamin or did I brush my teeth, but the Woodstock festival is not something I forget.

Lucky, lucky you.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

I am very impressed. And moreso that you remember not just that you were there, but that you remember what was going on while you were there! My memory of the Led Zepplin concert in '71 is a (self inflicted) total blur.

15 minutes ago, mom says said:

I am very impressed. And moreso that you remember not just that you were there, but that you remember what was going on while you were there! My memory of the Led Zepplin concert in '71 is a (self inflicted) total blur.

Kinda like "If you say you remember the 60s, you weren't there." 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I know because I work in the industry.  😉

As did numerous members of my immediate and extended family over 3 generations and multiple organizations.

LOL. So true. But hey, isn’t everyone who works for the government a Navy SEAL?  😂😜

4 hours ago, Aquahound said:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, mom says said:

There are things I remember and things I don't. For instance, I know how I got there, but have no idea how I got home. I don't ever remember going to the bathroom. I don't know if that is possible, but I really was much younger in 1969 than I am now.

I actually met 2 other people on our Prima cruise last summer who had also been there. One of them told me that he hitchhiked there and was stopped by a State Trooper who asked him where he was going. When he said Woodstock, he was corrected by the trooper and told he wanted to go to Bethel. So, I am not the only one with memories.

Here's a story from then that I shared with 2 of the singers from the Syd Norman's Pour House on the cruise this past summer. It was the Saturday portion of the show, but with all the groups that had already played and the rain delays, it must have been after midnight, so really Sunday. Janis Joplin finished her set and many people seemed to be getting up to leave and go to their campsites. Not me, I was pretty much rooted to where I was sitting. Whoever was doing the announcing said, "why are you people leaving? If you leave now, you miss Sly and the Family Stone, The Who, and the Jefferson Airplane." And it seemed everyone sat back down.

Sly came on (according to an autobiography I have since read) at 3:30 in the morning. Sly had a reputation of sometimes being awful or not even playing if his set was delayed, but he and his group were also capable of being as good as anyone. And that night (er early morning) they were. Despite all of us being tired from a long day and night of music and rain, he had us all on our feet raising our arms HIGHER.

And then the Who came on and played basically their whole new album. As I said to the singers from Syd Normans, "See me. Feel me, Touch m,, Heal me," pretty much summed up what rock and roll is about.

And then the Jefferson Airplane ended the show for the day. We all finally had an idea of the time as the sun had risen. The funny thing is that they were on last because they were going to use their own light show instead of Woodstock's light show. And now there could be no light show as the sun had risen.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have a vivid memory of seeing Bob Dylan in concert in 1961.

I also have a vivid memory of my first Dylan concert which was in 1965 when he played an acoustic set followed by an electric set accompanied by the musicians who would later be known as The Band.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

LOL. So true. But hey, isn’t everyone who works for the government a Navy SEAL?  😂😜

Or the sudden increase in fighter pilots when Top Gun came out.  😁   Don't even get me started on the posers.  

8 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I also have a vivid memory of my first Dylan concert which was in 1965 when he played an acoustic set followed by an electric set accompanied by the musicians who would later be known as The Band.

Band trivia:Do you know the birth name of Robbie Robertson ?

41 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Wikipedia is my friend. Jaime Royal Robertson

Wikipedia is wrong.His birth name was James Klegerman 

Are you familiar with the musician Jerry Marotta who was born in Woodstock and still lives there? He was one of the founders of the group Orleans.