Formal wear?

Shipsareus

16 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

To be honest the cruise lines aren't even offering the same dining experience that warrants formal nights anymore.

This!!!! 

20 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

hen shorts and a polo shirt to the 6th to see what it felt like (as so many others were doing so). Guess what - my food didn't taste any different! 

But what about the folks next to you, I wonder if there food tasted any different?  Some might have you think it does!  🙂😉 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

To be honest the cruise lines aren't even offering the same dining experience that warrants formal nights anymore.

100%. You going to the MDR and enjoying the traditional cruise experience is costing the lines money in terms of lost revenue. In other words, you're not a desired cruiser.

4 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

100%. You going to the MDR and enjoying the traditional cruise experience is costing the lines money in terms of lost revenue. In other words, you're not a desired cruiser.

You are correct. They want new cruisers who don't know what they are missing. Sometimes I envy them.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 1:27 AM, Iamcruzin said:

To be honest the cruise lines aren't even offering the same dining experience that warrants formal nights anymore. They seem to be pushing the buffet and specialty restaurants more and more. The specialty restaurants were the place to go when you didn't want to dress up for formal night. Even with the up charge it was still a better value than buying and packing formal wear that will only sit at the back of your closet when you get home. 

What you say is becoming truer every day. 😉

Many years ago it was common to hear people say that those who didn't follow the stricter dress code would lead to the decline of the food in the DR's.

I actually think this may be partly true. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

All of this discussion reminds me of a scene in "Downton Abbey" where the dowager duchess is bemoaning the informality of dinner jackets (aka  Tux).     Formal dress for dinner would have been tailcoat in her day.😄

Edited by lizzic
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Many years ago it was common to hear people say that those who didn't follow the stricter dress code would lead to the decline of the food in the DR's.

I actually agree with you,  When Princess saw their guests showing up to the MDR dressed for a backyard bbq they said “We can feed these people anything and they won’t even notice if it’s subpar”.  So I guess we know who to blame for the decline in quality.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

This topic just becomes more ridiculous each time it is brought up about every 10 days.  

Are people so insecure they cannot figure out how to dress on a cruise ship?  

Wear what you enjoy and think is suitable for the occasion/experience and go to the MDR on formal night.  Be comfortable and look what YOU consider your best.  We have seen very few passengers ever turned away from the MDR's.  It is a rarity!  

Just enjoy your cruise and do not worry about what others are wearing.  Nobody will care in the end.  Princess definitely will not care for sure.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

TBH, that may play one part, but my two cents is that the bean counters have a greater impact. Food costs have risen... a lot. Cruise fares have also gone up a lot, but also not at the same pace as inflation overall.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Princess has the perfect opportunity to take back over the strict enforcement of clothing  in the traditional dining room on the SUN Princess when it launches.

👍 agreed

17 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Princess has the perfect opportunity to take back over the strict enforcement of clothing  in the traditional dining room on the SUN Princess when it launches.

More passengers for crew to possibly have confrontations with about it - Unlikely to change things for ALL the Main Dining Rooms. If they have a specific MDR or specialty dining venue that is strict about it - could see that happening MAYBE. 

On 1/31/2024 at 8:29 AM, Lady Arwen said:

I actually agree with you,  When Princess saw their guests showing up to the MDR dressed for a backyard bbq they said “We can feed these people anything and they won’t even notice if it’s subpar”.  So I guess we know who to blame for the decline in quality.  

Has nothing to do with economics, eh?

• Like 4

On 1/31/2024 at 8:29 AM, Lady Arwen said:

but which came first? - the decline in service and food quality in the mdr 

or

the more casual attire of the passengers?

39 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Just as long as they offer the same exact menu in all the DR's.

If not, we'll be back to the same old routine of modifying the posted dress codes to gain entrance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

but which came first? - the decline in service and food quality in the mdr 

or

the more casual attire of the passengers?

lol I was just kidding, so who knows, and at this point I really don’t care.  I was just repeating what @MissP22 had commented because I thought it was humorous. We don’t eat in the MDR anymore, except on rare occasions, and the food in the specialty restaurants is very good, as is the excellent service.  Worth every penny to us.   

So, which came first, the chicken or the egg? lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

It is the usual fate of most clothing threads.

And tipping threads, and COVID threads.  Thankfully, the years of “jeans in the dining room” threads are long behind us. One step forward, two steps back, I think. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

They do, but it would be insane thing to adopt something that is going to be viewed negatively by most customers.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ldubs said:

They do, but it would be insane thing to adopt something that is going to be viewed negatively by most customers.  

you are not assigned traditional dining - you choose it. and with that choice, Princess has the opportunity to enforce options, not enforced in the other two mdr venues

• Like 3

Just now, voljeep said:

you are not assigned traditional dining - you choose it. and with that choice, Princess has the opportunity to enforce options, not enforced in the other two mdr venues

I agree with you that they can in fact do what they want.  I think you miss the point.  Why would they adopt a policy that most customers would not like.  

2 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I agree with you that they can in fact do what they want.  I think you miss the point.  Why would they adopt a policy that most customers would not like.  

I think most would like it or be indifferent - let the dress up crowd have their own space - why not?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, voljeep said:

By giving people options then restricting where they can be used is a recipe for disaster.  Imagine the dreaded crew confrontations that would happen at the venues. 

1 minute ago, Potstech said:

By giving people options then restricting where they can be used is a recipe for disaster.  Imagine the dreaded crew confrontations that would happen at the venues. 

you sign the contract - you agree to the terms and conditions - it's only one dining venue on the whole ship - if, the food and service are the same as the other 2 mdr dining venues

On 1/30/2024 at 12:27 AM, Iamcruzin said:

...... Ties aren't even seen in office situations any more. .....

We have a local company that requires the men not assigned uniforms all wear dress shirts, dress pants and a tie.  AND no man can have a beard. The owner says a beard means you hiding something.

Yep, I am hiding the fact that I am 50 pounds overweight. The beard helps me face myself in the mirror each day.

I currently wear jeans and a company logo polo every day for the job I have.

When we first started cruising, we ate most of our evening meals in the MDR because my wife liked the fancy food. I have a limited palate, so it didn't matter to me. We liked to get dressed up and at times I would wear my tux. Now that I am cruising solo, I don't eat in the MDR. This April I am cruising with my daughter and her family so we will be eating in the MDR and I am taking my tux. I think everyone should dress nicely to go to dinner in the MDR. Fancy dress, a tux, a jacket and tie? No, only if you want to. But at least dress up a little bit for dinner. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Especially when I've seen at least half of the DR dressing down for comfort in the last 4 cruises we've been on.

I seriously doubt if people would actually enjoy returning to the dress codes of a few years ago when they everyone now has the option of dressing how they please.

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

It's going to prove an interesting experiment when one DR is only partially filled & they backfill people from another DR to speed up the seating. 😄

• Like 1