The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday January 30th, 2024

kazu

Today is National Croissant Day, National Draw A Dinosaur Day, and National Escape Day

Sometimes you have to be apart from people you love, but that doesn't make you love them any less. Sometimes you love them more.--Nicholas Sparks, The Last Song

Meal Suggestion for today - Slow-Cooker Chuck Roast with Potatoes & Carrots
Drink of the Day - Dark 'n Stormy
Wine of the Day - Schnaitmann 2019 Lämmler GG Dry Riesling (Württemberg)
Destination of the Day - Airlie Beach, Queensland Australia

Today in History:
1815 Burned US Library of Congress re-established with Thomas Jefferson's 6,500 volumes

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Willemstad Curacao, Netherlands Antilles 07:00 - 23:00 

Koningsdam

San Diego, California 7:00-15:00 

Nieuw Amsterdam

Tortola Island BVI, Road Town, UK Virgin Islands 07:00 - 18:00 

Nieuw Statendam

Costa Maya, Quintana Roo Mexico, Riviera Maya 09:00 - 17:00 

Oosterdam

Buenos Aires, Argentina - 18:00 

Rotterdam

Willemstad Curacao, Netherlands Antilles 08:00 - 23:00 

Zaandam

Cartagena Colombia 11:00 - 17:00 

Zuiderdam

Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico Riviera 08:00 - 17:00 

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Lyttelton-Christchurch, New Zealand 08:00 - 17:00 

Volendam

At Sea Destination Townsville QLD, Queensland Australia eta 02-01

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Halong Bay, Vietnam, Ha Long City eta 02-01

• Like 22
  • Thanks 18

One map today.  With Rotterdam and Eurodam both in Curacao, there is little to be gained from a Caribbean map.  Nieuw Amsterdam is not really that close,  and the other ships are pretty well spaced out.

global.PNG.603c374e1de9673819a7841a41f3b4f3.PNG

Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 17

Good morning friends!  It's only 31F this morning but we will see a sunny day and a high of 58.  DH has an appointment for some routine maintenance on my SUV this morning in Macon, then I think he will stop at the grocery for a couple items.  I will probably stay home since there's nothing exciting planned.  I might do some cross stitching, since I didn't even pick it up yesterday.  My left shoulder pain is more like a 5 today and I hope to keep it lowered.  My shoulders and arms do get tired if I cross stitch all day but this pain was crazy.  I don't have any patches but use an analgesic gel and pain relievers as well as rest.  I really should get an appointment to get it checked out since my official check-up is still 6 weeks off.

Thanks to Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for the FR and Daily as well as the fleet maps.  For the days we recognize on Jan. 30 I think croissants are nice but don't have any.  I could probably draw a dinosaur!  When my youngest DGS was 3 he told everyone he wanted to be a paleontologist.  He actually used that word, not dinosaur expert! So cute! He's still an amazingly smart kid!  I wouldn't mind escaping from it all once in a while.  The Sparks quote is true.  The meal today is exactly how we prepare a roast, only we choose shoulder roasts instead of chuck roast.  They are more tender IMO.  Think I'll skip the drink of the day and whatever the wine is.  A big thanks to Thomas Jefferson for donating his books for the Library of Congress to replace those destroyed.  Thank you F&B department people Eva @superoma,  Paul @kochleffel and Ann @cat shepard for your reports.

Prayers said already for my family and friends who are deserving of them, plus the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages held still, and our military being fired upon.  My condolences to the families of those slain in Jordan who were all from Georgia.  In addition, prayers for all of you here, both on the Care list or not.  I had to include myself in my prayers this morning and hope I continue to feel less pain.  Hoping all of you do the same!  Three cheers to the Celebration list folks.  Safe travels and I hope the cruisers are enjoying themselves.  Happy birthday and anniversary to those with celebrations today.  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for the list keeping each day, and prayers for better days ahead for you!

The port this morning is Airlie Beach in Queensland Australia.  That is such a beautiful area.  The only previous posting of it was on June 16, 2023.  I do not have any photos from there and it appears that Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser  does not either.  Funny how Graham @grapau27 mentioned yesterday the program Below Deck was about Airlie Beach.  What a coincidence!  Here is the link to June 16, 2023.

Bon Voyage to Debbie @dfish and Sue, Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser and Steve, Sharon @Sharon in AZ and Craig, and last but not least Dixie @summer slope and George!

Hoping everyone here has a great day.  Be productive, stay safe, and keep well!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Cold and cloudy with a chance of snow.  It might get to 0C (32F) this afternoon, no sun.

Croissant Day sounds great!  I won't draw a dinosaur and I won't escape winter.

I love the quote.

The meal sounds good, love a slow cooked roast and veggies.  I'm not sure about the drink and I'm sure I'll like the wine.

I'd love to visit today's port.

Prayers for our world.

Have a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 28

;

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP, gtube

Ger_77’s DH Maurice having breathlessness; getting changes in meds/PM

Kochleffel’s (Paul’s) Mohs surgery

StLouisCruiser’s shoulder pain

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness; trouble walking

All in the path of storms and frigid temperatures

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza; loss of US military members

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with pulmonary issues

Rafinmd with elevated PSA and foot ulcer

RMLincoln’s DH with glaucoma issues, medication allergy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Summer Slope (Dixie & George)!

Bon Voyage Sharon in AZ (Sharon & Craig)!

Bon Voyage Quartzsite Cruiser (Lenda & Steve)!

Bon Voyage dfish (Debbie & Sue)!

RMLincoln’d DH’s doing well after eye surgery

HAL Sailer’s DH helped by his epidural injection

Superoma/Kochleffel covering the Daily meal and drink recipes 

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Cruzin Terri (Oceania Vista Jan 31 to Feb 11) 11d Windward Islands Explorer Miami to Miami

Sailingdutchy (Rotterdam to Feb 4, 21d PC Sunfarer & Southern Caribbean Seafarer),Tupper10 (Rotterdam to Feb 4, 9d Southern Caribbean), summer slope (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, Sharon in AZ (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, Quartzsite Cruiser (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, Dfish & Sue (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, 0106 (Oosterdam to Feb 20) - celebrating her birthday on board, 22d SA & Antarctica, Ottahand7 (Eurodam to Feb 24 B2B2B Caribbean), Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl(Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 24
  • Thanks 16

Greetings from beautiful Punta Gorda

Coolest morning of the winter season with a low of 47, 67 for the high, warming up tomorrow with low 70s through Sunday

I like a croissant once in awhile

Interesting quote

I like the meal

Yesterday afternoon DW tripped on a sprinkler head in the back yard, wound up with a laceration on the lower left leg and needed 7 stitches, we spent 2 hours in the emergency room, she had a little pain but is doing pretty good this morning, being a retired registered nurse she knew what to do with icing and managed to almost stop the bleeding before we reached the hospital 

I started playing Daily Wordle almost a month ago, sort of hooked now and have won 26 games without a loss, I’ve gone down to the last line more than a few times

Good day on the course yesterday morning as I shot my age with a pretty smooth 77 but took a double bogey on the last hole

Have a great day and stay well.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning to all and thanks for the daily and fleet report.  Boy, LOTS of people getting ready to cruise or cruising now!  Bon Voyage to @summer slope @Sharon in AZ @Quartzsite Cruiser and @dfish . I hope you have a great Hawaiian cruise (I know I did!!).

Croissant are delicious.  Too bad I don't have any.  My brother was a dinosaur geek but I only remember a couple of them - T Rex, pterodactyl, and ....... ???  I like escaping whenever I can.  Yes to the meal, ? on the drink, no on the wine, and I have been to Queensland but not Airlie Beach. Thank goodness the Library of Congress was re-established.

IMG_4141.thumb.JPG.0d1388c795ba2b8f61e6b52838a73d0d.JPG

It will be an absolutely beautiful day today.  Presently 48F climbing to high 70s and the sun will be out with a scattering of clouds.  Surprisingly, I was able to get an appt with my PCP for 0845 this morning.  I waited for them to call and when they didn't by 1000, I called them.  So, off to the gym, then the doc, then........ I am going to escape!  LOL!!

IMG_4142.JPG.c3f5d232370b5d88e6eba7f6de93d5c0.JPG

Had a re-eval with PT.  I am getting better on the muscles we are trying to target.  But of course, it isn't decreasing the numbness or pain.  Oh, well, I knew that because this is a structural problem.  But have to "play the game" - read that "protocol" or the insurance won't pay for anything.

IMG_4143.thumb.JPG.c4b15e444ca93110342740f6725f2abd.JPG

Thoughts for those on the care list and cheers to those celebrating.

IMG_4144.thumb.JPG.2fc9a723a6c542e367037d480737ba65.JPG

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

Good afternoon.

It is 43°F and sunny here now after 2 days of rain.

I have never drawn a dinosaur.

We often eat croissants from our ships room service breakfast.

Several dailyites are sailing today on national escape day.

Prayers 🙏 for all who are in pain.

Airlie beach is the location of Below deck which started yesterday on UK TV.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Screenshot_20240130_121047.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Dark 'n Stormy

“Dark ‘n Stormy” is a trademark of Goslings Rum in Bermuda, and they have been known to file or threaten lawsuits over recipes for this cocktail that did not specify Goslings Black Seal Rum. The drink became popular among the sailing crowd and spread through it along the East Coast.

It’s in the general category of a “buck,” which is a drink containing ginger beer, spirits, and lime. For example, a Moscow Mule is a vodka buck. The official Goslings recipe today calls for only a lime garnish, but earlier recipes specified adding some amount of lime juice to the ginger beer. At that time Goslings did not offer a proprietary brand of ginger beer and it’s possible that Goslings ginger beer isn’t very sweet. I have made this drink with Ithaca ginger beer and I included lime juice.

It’s important not to stir this drink too much before serving, because the rum should float at the top, resembling a storm cloud, but enough that the first taste isn’t pure rum.

Goslings_DarknStormy_Cocktail.jpg.062977a45146b2d66d89f9ddbdd3753f.jpg

6 oz. Goslings Stormy Ginger Beer
    2 oz. Goslings Black Seal Rum
    Lime wedge

Into a tall glass filled with ice, pour the ginger beer and float the rum on top.
Stir (until it looks like a storm cloud).
Optional garnish: Lime wedge.

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 17

Thank you Rich, Jacaui, Vanessa, Ann, Paul, and Eva.  Bon Voyage @dfish @summer slope @Sharon in AZ and @Quartzsite Cruiser. @Cruzin Terri your ship is just a little SW of Key West.  Healing wishes for @DWAliaschief.

I'll pass on drawing a dinosaur, and would love either a croissant or an escape.  The Sparks quote rings true to me.

I have not been to Airlie Beach.  Belated thanks to Thomas Jefferson.

The meal sounds nice but I do not have a slow-cooker.  My alternative is Carmelized Orange and Grapefurit Cocktail and Prime Rib of Beef au Jus as served on MS Maasdam January 30, 2015.

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui!  Roy, thank you for our map!
It is a nippy 41 here this morning, but no wind - yet. But we are being warned that this is the calm before the “gusts”. At least it will be sunny!

IMG_2488.jpeg.ffd8232116084cbc6478a03527086a47.jpeg

Vanessa thank you for everything you do to keep up with us. You truly are amazing. Praying that the procedure will bring you relief from the pain and numbness and you get to sleep - a long, restful, rejuvenating sleep. 

Gym, Bindi walks, more grout cleaning and other fun chores will fill my day. 

IMG_2503.jpeg.003841e106fc6fb5495b353176902397.jpeg

IMG_2506.jpeg.71bb3d180560f2fb7c214e619273e126.jpeg

IMG_2508.jpeg.78c40d99c218669d115906a231d27078.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Those suffering from pain, debilitating conditions, the loss of a loved one, or just in a funk. The caregivers. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! So many Dailyites heading to Hawaii! Bon Voyage! Would love a group pic, if you are willing. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Schnaitmann 2019 Lämmler GG Dry Riesling (Württenberg)

My trusty decider ring is certainly getting a workout this year! Good thing mine is rechargeable. If you live outside of Germany, or aren’t visiting anytime soon - this wine may not be an option for you. There were a few USA distributors, but they are all sold out and the starting price was $68.79. Too bad, it sounds lovely. If you are in Germany, you can get it shipped to you. Online prices start at $34.97 + shipping. 

Winemaker Notes

Deep golden yellow. An overwhelming variety of aromas can be seen in the glass. Elderflower, lovage, woodruff, hazelnut and salted caramel, as well as fine spices such as thyme and cloves, with delicate notes of Amalfi lemon, apricot, pineapple and peach. Demanding wine with powerful tension. The juicy, ripe acidity picks you up directly on the palate and leads elegantly over the densely woven middle section of polished tannin structure and charming enamel. Great length.

92 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

The 2019 Riesling Lämmler GG is elegant, pure and refined on the discreet nose that opens slowly to ripe and dense fruit aromas intermingled with notes of crushed stones and herbs. Round and juicy on the palate, this is an elegant, refined and balanced Lämmler that reveals its power and elegant richness only on the finish that is not bone-dry but charming. Not very long but stimulating. 13% stated alcohol. Natural cork.

97 Wine Enthusiast 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 2

Happy Tuesday everyone and thanks to Rich, Roy, Vanessa, Paul, Eva & Ann for their daily dedication.

Nice collection of days.  I’d say our Daily-ites cruising are definitely celebrating National Escape Day.  Love croissants but none here right now and while I have always been fascinated with dinosaurs, I can’t draw worth a hoot.

IMG_1499.jpeg.e96e73f187d11b79493905ac53adb191.jpeg

I like the Sparks quote.  Absence can make the heart grow fonder.

@cat shepard - sorry I missed the typo until it was too late to edit but I’m sure you and everyone else were able to figure out that the word should be Lammier 🤞 A dry Riesling sounds tempting.

IMG_2038.thumb.jpeg.9ec2a29b390aee80ea185a449c21d647.jpeg

It’s a busy & expensive morning - Ivan’s injection day.  Hopefully he will cooperate with the scale - if not, the techs will have to do it.  No lifting of the big boy by me right now.  And, this meme is not what Ivan does.

IMG_2036.jpeg.cd24a1bd07a91a17af620cc07e305777.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems, worries & those that need them. 🙏 Cheers to those  celebrating and cruising.

• Like 27
  • Haha 6

Slow cooker chuck roast with potatoes and carrots. 

Most recipes are very similar. You could leave the carrots out. You could use parsnips instead or in addition to. One uses celery but I am not a fan of cooked celery and I wouldn’t use it.

https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/277379/slow-cooker-chuck-roast-with-potatoes-carrots/

image.png.99c07aa1179da03857989fe9086ef6b1.png

https://www.returntothekitchen.com/crock-pot-chuck-roast-with-potatoes/

image.thumb.png.9c2be92eb16495ea2276f797d51fe164.png

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/16346/maries-easy-slow-cooker-pot-roast/

image.png.439b4f6f41edb90321daee0c8376aaba.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 14

Good Tuesday morning. Thank you for Daily and Fleet reports. 

The meal and drink of the day sound tempting. 

Might see some sun today. Still chilly though. 

Another good visit with my nutritionist. My blood sugars have stabilized to 120 or less. This is good for a diabetic. My weight is down. She would like me to increase strength training as this will benefit me the most as I age. This I can do. My next set of blood work is due at the end of next month and I expect to see some good results. 

Clients and classes on the agenda for today. 

Bon voyage to @summer slope @Sharon in AZ @Quartzsite Cruiser and @dfish

Thinking of all on the care list.

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

image.png.b2df2b5a3f2e23bba6c38a03f6e1e26f.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

Good chilly and cloudy morning. 
Id like to be in Bermuda sipping a Dark and Stormy at the Hog Penny Pub . Good memories.

Update on Steve, he had the staples removed yesterday and the surgeon is pleased with the progress. He sees him again on Feb 23rd and therapy will start at month 3 . He also got a new more rigid brace. He was told it will be a year before he is back to normal. Denise said he is actually behaving.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 32

7 minutes ago, kazu said:

@cat shepard - sorry I missed the typo until it was too late to edit but I’m sure you and everyone else were able to figure out that the word should be Lammier 🤞 A dry Riesling sounds tempting.

Jacqui, it isn’t a typo. It is a systemic glitch. AND if you fix them, my decoder ring will get rusty. 🤬

So get busy wrapping yourself in bubble wrap before you step foot out the door. 

• Like 20
  • Haha 6

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors.

Let’s look at today days. Find below my favorite croissant with hash, my favorite dinasour drawing and the need to “Escape” from this thread! 

IMG_1647.thumb.png.e1d2917a5bd6d5678aa7fd2600938be9.pngIMG_1648.thumb.png.e2956c8327cd78bbb000a4e4ef016dc0.png

• Like 21
  • Haha 5

18 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you Rich, Jacaui, Vanessa, Ann, Paul, and Eva.  Bon Voyage @dfish @summer slope @Sharon in AZ and @Quartzsite Cruiser. @Cruzin Terri your ship is just a little SW of Key West.  Healing wishes for @DWAliaschief.

I'll pass on drawing a dinosaur, and would love either a croissant or an escape.  The Sparks quote rings true to me.

I have not been to Airlie Beach.  Belated thanks to Thomas Jefferson.

The meal sounds nice but I do not have a slow-cooker.  My alternative is Carmelized Orange and Grapefurit Cocktail and Prime Rib of Beef au Jus as served on MS Maasdam January 30, 2015.

Roy

Good post Roy.

Your meal sounds good except Grapefruit is a big no no with heart medication so take care my friend.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MISTER 67 said:

Greetings from beautiful Punta Gorda

Coolest morning of the winter season with a low of 47, 67 for the high, warming up tomorrow with low 70s through Sunday

I like a croissant once in awhile

Interesting quote

I like the meal

Yesterday afternoon DW tripped on a sprinkler head in the back yard, wound up with a laceration on the lower left leg and needed 7 stitches, we spent 2 hours in the emergency room, she had a little pain but is doing pretty good this morning, being a retired registered nurse she knew what to do with icing and managed to almost stop the bleeding before we reached the hospital 

I started playing Daily Wordle almost a month ago, sort of hooked now and have won 26 games without a loss, I’ve gone down to the last line more than a few times

Good day on the course yesterday morning as I shot my age with a pretty smooth 77 but took a double bogey on the last hole

Have a great day and stay well.

Sorry bout your DW and glad she is doing better. My problem in my yard is not tripping over the heads but after replacing broken heads trying to get back on my feet!  Great golf score! The days of shoting  my age are long gone unless I live to be over a 100! 😀

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7