Cell phone usage

tgodiver

Make sure to turn your phone to airplane mode while on the ship at sea. We got charged over 50.00 for series of calls which we didn't answer to avoid the international fees. What we didn't know was that even if you don't answer, you still get charged for incoming calls and when the call goes to your voice mail. At 5.99 per minute it adds up fast, luckily T-Mobile refunded the money after a call to them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, tgodiver said:

Make sure to turn your phone to airplane mode while on the ship at sea. We got charged over 50.00 for series of calls which we didn't answer to avoid the international fees. What we didn't know was that even if you don't answer, you still get charged for incoming calls and when the call goes to your voice mail. At 5.99 per minute it adds up fast, luckily T-Mobile refunded the money after a call to them.

I'm sorry this happened to you and glad T-mobile worked with you.  It's good to post this so others can be reminded about that "airplane mode".  🙂

26 minutes ago, tgodiver said:

Pretty sure there's a mention in the patter and an additional paper to make sure airplane mode is on. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Pretty sure there's a mention in the patter and an additional paper to make sure airplane mode is on. 

The mention is all over the ship. On the patter plus instructions 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

And, if you have a Wi Fi plan, you can enable Wi Fi calling in Airplane Mode and still make calls without charge.

Not necessarily. Some cruise lines are blocking Wi Fi calling. Not sure if Princess is one of them.

23 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Not necessarily. Some cruise lines are blocking Wi Fi calling. Not sure if Princess is one of them.

We have been using Whatsapp to make calls all cruise with no problems on the Island Princess. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Which cruise lines have blocked WiFi calling?

This is how their crew keeps in touch with family.

Crew members have free unlimited access to Whatsapp for calls/texting.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Clek said:

We have been using WhatsApp to make calls all cruise with no problems on the Island Princess. 

Love WhatsApp.  Video calling is great option.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Sometimes it iisn't the cruise line that is blocking wifi callling, but the cell provider. We used to have AT&T and we purchased our phones from someone other than AT&T, so it was unlocked, and they (AT&T) disabled wifi calling because we purchased our phone direct from the  manufacturer and not them.

I always keep my phone on airplane mode, and I always have Wi-Fi calling enabled.  I’m able to call and receive on my phone.  I also have used FaceTime and WhatsApp.  It’s really no big deal or problem as long as you leave your phone on airplane mode.

13 hours ago, Coolcruise02 said:

We had the wifi package and you had to have your phone in airplane mode.

Phones should ALWAYS be in Airplane mode while onboard lest unpleasant surprises befall those who don’t. 

20 hours ago, RocknRoll22 said:

What type of surprises?

Unpredictable (but normally huge) charges on your next cell phone bill. You return home to an unpleasant surprise. 
If not in airplane mode, your phone’s cellular will connect with the ship’s cellular signal. 
Don’t ask me how I came to know this. 😟

21 hours ago, RocknRoll22 said:

What type of surprises?

@Bgwest has explained that you will probably have a very large phone bill when you get home. You really want to have ALL of your incoming & outgoing communication traversing the internet instead of a cell signal while not in port.

1 hour ago, Bgwest said:

If not in airplane mode, your phone’s cellular will connect with the ship’s cellular signal. 
Don’t ask me how I came to know this

I've heard this, but what's the definition of "huge"? That can vary between people. I haven't been able to find actual examples of the increased billing amounts people have encountered.

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

You really want to have ALL of your incoming & outgoing communication traversing the internet instead of a cell signal while not in port.

As discussed in other threads, WiFi Calling is the way to go, but unfortunately, my phone doesn't have that feature. What's App has been suggested, but I can't make a national company adopt that to contact me. So, it seems the ship's cellular network is my only option to stay "connected".

1 hour ago, RocknRoll22 said:

As discussed in other threads, WiFi Calling is the way to go, but unfortunately, my phone doesn't have that feature. What's App has been suggested, but I can't make a national company adopt that to contact me. So, it seems the ship's cellular network is my only option to stay "connected".

I'm sure you have probably considered this...but is there nobody that could serve as a "middleman" during your trip so that this person could then use WhatsApp?  It's going to be CRAZY expensive using the ship's cell service.

This is straight from the Princess FAQ:

Do cell phones work on cruise ships? It’s a common question with varying answers. Guests are free to utilize their cellular data or connect to our onboard Wi-Fi on any ship. But, please be aware that cellular data used on the ship or in certain ports of call will result in charges from your cell phone provider. As you sail into international waters, these expenses can add up, so we recommend that guests turn off their cellular data and connect to the ship’s Wi-Fi instead. Here’s everything to know about using your cell phone on a cruise.