Have cruisers enjoyed Asia?

gordylad

4 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

In Phuket we were on a boat tour that took us to a small island with a beach.  There was also a beach right by tender exit.  Phuket has many many islands.

As much as I enjoyed the beaches in Phuket, my favorite was Pattaya Beach.  Unfortunately cruise ships do not go there as far as I know.  Unfortunately none of my trips to these two beautiful locations were on cruise ships but on a different type of ship where food and accommodations were much sparser and alcohol was not permitted at all.. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

As much as I enjoyed the beaches in Phuket, my favorite was Pattaya Beach.  Unfortunately cruise ships do not go there as far as I know.  Unfortunately none of my trips to these two beautiful locations were on cruise ships but on a different type of ship where food and accommodations were much sparser and alcohol was not permitted at all.. 

Spent an unscheduled R&R (kind of) there for 3 days.  U-Tapao. Plenty of beer at that time. No desire to ever return to any part of Southeast Asia. 

Edited by doghog
  • Like 1

so i said to my wife have a look see what you fancy and she came back with something quite different.....

Mumbai: EMBARK
      Depart 5:00 PM 
Day 2 Mon Feb 9 Mormugao: DOCKED
    Arrive 9:00 AM  Depart 5:30 PM 
Day 3 Tue Feb 10 Cruising: CRUISING

Day 4 Wed Feb 11 Colombo: DOCKED
    Arrive 11:00 AM   
Day 5 Thu Feb 12 Colombo: DOCKED
      Depart 8:00 PM 
Day 6 Fri Feb 13 Hambantota: DOCKED
    Arrive 7:00 AM  Depart 7:00 PM 
Day 7 Sat Feb 14 Cruising: CRUISING

Day 8 Sun Feb 15 Cruising: CRUISING

Day 9 Mon Feb 16 Phuket: TENDERED
    Arrive 9:00 AM  Depart 6:00 PM 
Day 10 Tue Feb 17 Penang: DOCKED
    Arrive 8:30 AM  Depart 5:30 PM 
Day 11 Wed Feb 18 Port Klang: DOCKED
    Arrive 8:00 AM  Depart 9:00 PM 
Day 12 Thu Feb 19 Cruising: CRUISING

Day 13 Fri Feb 20 Singapore: DEBARK
    Arrive 6:00 AM   
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, chemmo said:

The fact that beaches comes so high up on your ‘likes’ list makes me wonder if you wouldn’t benefit more from a land based holiday than a cruise in this region.

We have done three South East Asia cruises and loved them but excursions have been focused on sightseeing…Quite simply if you are travelling so far it seems a waste to not see the fabulous sights on offer. If you opt for beach excursions then you won’t see any of the culture or history of the region…If you opt for sightseeing excursions then you will not have the beach days you love…

In addition to cruising we have enjoyed several land based holidays in South East Asia including Phuket, Bali, Singapore, Bangkok and Hong Kong…Both Bali and Phuket have plenty to do but offer fabulous beaches too. You could book a 14 night package holiday in either…Enjoy the beaches and break up your stay with some tours. In addition tour companies often offer city + beach options. We have enjoyed Bangkok + Phuket and Hong Kong +Bali…Either of these options would give you a flavour of the ambiance of the region, the friendliness of the people and the fabulous food too. In our experience these land based breaks have been equally enjoyable to cruising.

I know on a cruise forum it may seem odd to suggest that a cruise may not be the best option but it does all depend on what your priorities are for your next holiday…As you can tell from my posts, we are firm cruise lovers but there have been occasions when we have preferred to opt for alternatives. For many people a vacation has to be a balance between seeing the world and offering much needed rest and relaxation…You have received lots of excellent cruising advice, consider alternative holiday options too!

8 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

If you choose an itinerary that starts/ends in Bali you will have some very nice resorts.  When we were there we stayed in a 5 star resort on the beach,  had high end meals (sea bass cooked to perfection), and were drinking coconut milk every day.  The gardens on the property were beautiful.  Everything there is very inexpensive and we paid very little for the extraordinary experience that we had.  We dined on the beach and relaxed.  Want to go into Ubud to explore?  Just have the resort reserve a driver for the day.  Again very inexpensive.

In Phuket we were on a boat tour that took us to a small island with a beach.  There was also a beach right by tender exit.  Phuket has many many islands.

8 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Great idea. There's a Millennium itinerary that's starts in Bali and ends in Singapore and is basically the same ports as the itinerary the OP posted but in much better order (Phuket is an overnight and one should stay off the ship in an hotel). If the OP is interested in the ports of the posted itinerary they should seriously reconsider this alternate itinerary with multiple sailing dates. Then they could stay several days pre-cruise in Bali and enjoy the Phuket beaches. 

Edit: Also overnight in Penang! 

Screenshot_20240204-100752.png

Hello everyone,

We are actually booked for this exact itinerary for January 2025, on a b2b with 

Can anyone offer any suggestions on a place to stay in Bali pre-cruise for one-two weeks?

NMTraveller & chemmo - you both commented that you have stayed in Bali.  Would you share where you stayed &/or any other travel suggestions you may have?  Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Debbie & Ron

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, debfed65 said:

Hello everyone,

We are actually booked for this exact itinerary for January 2025, on a b2b with 

Can anyone offer any suggestions on a place to stay in Bali pre-cruise for one-two weeks?

NMTraveller & chemmo - you both commented that you have stayed in Bali.  Would you share where you stayed &/or any other travel suggestions you may have?  Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Debbie & Ron

We stayed at the IHG InterContinental Bali Resort.  We spent a couple of days just relexing at the resort which is right on the beach.  For the third day we had the resort reserve a car and driver for us and went into Ubud.  There is a monkey sanctuary,  waterfalls, art galleries,  etc.  You can tailor the stops to meet your itinerary and interests.  There are 5 or 6 on premise restaurants.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, gordylad said:

so i said to my wife have a look see what you fancy and she came back with something quite different.....

We’re doing thar one but in reverse! Looks like an exciting mix of places to visit with some overnights on our itinerary. You would be able to stay a few nights in Singapore after too, and you could always hop on over to Bali from there if you so wished (we tend to do it on the way to Australia).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, debfed65 said:

Thank you

Debbie & Ron

Hi Debbie &Ron,

We chose an all inclusive option as we were planning on spending a lot of time beachside. I am fairly sure it was the Mecure…It is a few years since we visited. Our hotel was quite busy and had lots of young Australians who were enjoying lots of beach and pool activities. This is not a criticism in any way, simply trying to describe the ambiance. It certainly wasn’t a quiet romantic tropical paradise. However, it had a lovely beach location, friendly staff and was excellent value for money. I suggest you decide what is important to you and do some searching.

We found that many of the hotels priced B&B but then offered an AI option. If you price up sodas, coffee, lunch, dinner and a few cocktails we found the AI option was well worth it. We looked at tours through our tour company and then priced a car driver and guide through the hotel concierge. It was fantastic. Our tour guide phoned us at the hotel and asked us what we wanted to see/do, how long we wanted our tour to last…It was cheaper for three of us privately through the hotel than the coach tour offered by our tour company. Definitely worth considering. I would think most hotels offer something similar. We did two one day private tours and visited volcanoes, rice fields, monkeys, temples, local restaurants and by request no shops! A fantastic way to see a lot of a beautiful place with very little effort…

Sincere best wishes for a wonderful vacation!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gordylad said:

Now that is a nice looking itinerary! However, I don’t know how much beach time you would get…Too many exciting things to do in these ports!

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

We stayed at the IHG InterContinental Bali Resort.  We spent a couple of days just relexing at the resort which is right on the beach.  For the third day we had the resort reserve a car and driver for us and went into Ubud.  There is a monkey sanctuary,  waterfalls, art galleries,  etc.  You can tailor the stops to meet your itinerary and interests.  There are 5 or 6 on premise restaurants.

2 hours ago, chemmo said:

Hi Debbie &Ron,

We chose an all inclusive option as we were planning on spending a lot of time beachside. I am fairly sure it was the Mecure…It is a few years since we visited. Our hotel was quite busy and had lots of young Australians who were enjoying lots of beach and pool activities. This is not a criticism in any way, simply trying to describe the ambiance. It certainly wasn’t a quiet romantic tropical paradise. However, it had a lovely beach location, friendly staff and was excellent value for money. I suggest you decide what is important to you and do some searching.

We found that many of the hotels priced B&B but then offered an AI option. If you price up sodas, coffee, lunch, dinner and a few cocktails we found the AI option was well worth it. We looked at tours through our tour company and then priced a car driver and guide through the hotel concierge. It was fantastic. Our tour guide phoned us at the hotel and asked us what we wanted to see/do, how long we wanted our tour to last…It was cheaper for three of us privately through the hotel than the coach tour offered by our tour company. Definitely worth considering. I would think most hotels offer something similar. We did two one day private tours and visited volcanoes, rice fields, monkeys, temples, local restaurants and by request no shops! A fantastic way to see a lot of a beautiful place with very little effort…

Sincere best wishes for a wonderful vacation!

Thank you both very much for this information.  I will definitely look into both of these options!  We are very excited to go and explore this part of the world - it looks absolutely stunning 🌴🐠☀️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, debfed65 said:

Thank you both very much for this information.  I will definitely look into both of these options!  We are very excited to go and explore this part of the world - it looks absolutely stunning 🌴🐠☀️

We stayed in the Sanur beach area and thought it was good; we were able to tour the island from there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2024 at 2:43 PM, doghog said:

Spent an unscheduled R&R (kind of) there for 3 days.  U-Tapao. Plenty of beer at that time. No desire to ever return to any part of Southeast Asia. 

In the early 70's I was familiar with U-Tapao.  Spent a period of time in the Tonkin Gulf back then. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gordylad said:

its looking like this one.  or the vice versa route...any recommendations on best time of year....thinking of November or February  tx

image.png.a42abd7278f2d5790c1e8abf6feab280.png

We just took this exact sailing over the Christmas holidays and very much enjoyed it (here is my review but I am sorry--we didn't visit any beaches).  Weather-wise I would think either month is ok although I believe November will be warmer than February on average.  Just make sure you avoid the Chinese New Year when traveling can be difficult because of the crowds (Jan or Feb depending on the year).

Your best beach opportunities will be Ko Samui and Nha Trang.  Danang has famous China Beach.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, gordylad said:

Am I correct in saying a lot of people visit Pattaya from the Laemchabang port because its a much shorter taxi ride than Bangkok?

tx

Maybe that is true for people who have already visited Bangkok.  Bangkok is usually the most popular attraction visited from Laem Chabang.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2024 at 10:15 AM, kwokpot said:

Great idea. There's a Millennium itinerary that's starts in Bali and ends in Singapore and is basically the same ports as the itinerary the OP posted but in much better order (Phuket is an overnight and one should stay off the ship in an hotel). If the OP is interested in the ports of the posted itinerary they should seriously reconsider this alternate itinerary with multiple sailing dates. Then they could stay several days pre-cruise in Bali and enjoy the Phuket beaches. 

Edit: Also overnight in Penang! 

Screenshot_20240204-100752.png

We are doing this, from Bali to Singapore.  Dec 2024/Jan 2025.  My husband is from Malaysia and it's become a family reunion.  I think he wants to fly down some family from Malaysia down to Bali and stay in a hotel with villas on the beach, if we can find such a place.

How does one find the tender/docking information?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Maybe that is true for people who have already visited Bangkok.  Bangkok is usually the most popular attraction visited from Laem Chabang.

While Bangkok is indeed far away from the port what we did, albeit 11 years ago, was to do a private tour 2 day tour with an overnight in Bangkok. It was basically a transfer to our Bangkok hotel the 1st day,and we had a great dinner out and went to the night market. The next day the same tour guide picked us up and we went to see the temples, then back to the ship. It all depends on what you're interested in seeing and doing. 

• Like 1

Just now, kwokpot said:

While Bangkok is indeed far away from the port what we did, albeit 11 years ago, was to do a private tour 2 day tour with an overnight in Bangkok. It was basically a transfer to our Bangkok hotel the 1st day,and we had a great dinner out and went to the night market. The next day the same tour guide picked us up and we went to see the temples, then back to the ship. It all depends on what you're interested in seeing and doing. 

That's what we did and in doing so we spent Christmas night at the Bangkok St Regis.  However our two day private tour picked us up at the pier and dropped us off there on the following day.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

That's what we did and in doing so we spent Christmas night at the Bangkok St Regis.  However our two day private tour picked us up at the pier and dropped us off there on the following day.

I guess I wasn't clear enough but that's what we did also.

We are doing the above with private guides but using the ship's transportation to CentralWorld? where I believe we can take a quick taxi to the ST. REGIS.  I was a bit nervous about traffic with a private driver.  It is our first time to Thailand and Vietnam.

Pam 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dr. Pam said:

We are doing the above with private guides but using the ship's transportation to CentralWorld? where I believe we can take a quick taxi to the ST. REGIS.  I was a bit nervous about traffic with a private driver.  It is our first time to Thailand and Vietnam.

Pam 

Yes, the ship's transfer into Bangkok (Central World) is less than 1 km away from the St Regis.  

If you are nervous that the ride might be too eventful, our private driver did a nice job getting us from the pier to Bangkok (and back).  Roads and freeways were in good condition and the drivers were not crazy.  However the traffic in the city could be slow because of congestion.  Kind of reminded me of being on the freeways here in my hometown of Chicago. 

If you are nervous about getting back to the ship on time and therefore want the ship's transfer, I understand--there is no substitute.

image.thumb.jpeg.6d0db4a28e940ed8e36ae3c565ad2a96.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, zitsky said:

We are doing this, from Bali to Singapore.  Dec 2024/Jan 2025.  My husband is from Malaysia and it's become a family reunion.  I think he wants to fly down some family from Malaysia down to Bali and stay in a hotel with villas on the beach, if we can find such a place.

How does one find the tender/docking information?

I can possibly help as I just got off the Millennium on the 28th of January.  We did the Singapore to Benoa version, and did Hong Kong to Singapore on the Solstice the 12 days previously.
414183409_340131855651338_7896682214170660476_na.thumb.jpg.3e7253101913c1126f376852f023bc52.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Suzi66 said:

I can possibly help as I just got off the Millennium on the 28th of January.  We did the Singapore to Benoa version, and did Hong Kong to Singapore on the Solstice the 12 days previously.
414183409_340131855651338_7896682214170660476_na.thumb.jpg.3e7253101913c1126f376852f023bc52.jpg

That’s great, thank you!  @Suzi66

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gordylad said:

Am I correct in saying a lot of people visit Pattaya from the Laemchabang port because its a much shorter taxi ride than Bangkok?

tx

We did one day in Bangkok and took a Grab (Asian Uber) to Pattaya on the second day.
Yes, the ride to Bangkok is far - but there´s a lot to see along the way and in Bangkok. 
So for us it was worth the drive.

• Like 1