The new lunch menu

4 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

I’m getting to the point where I’ve had my fill of big ships and big crowds. The smaller passenger capacity and numerous public spaces, wide open wrap-around promenade deck with those amazing padded steamer chairs, and the fact that it can transit the Panama Canal using the old locks are all a huge plus.

Yep.  Several of us had reached that point before the Royal Class ships came out. IMO, they offer nothing to compensate for the loss of the features you mentioned, and I don’t see that changing with the Sun Class. 

• Like 4

On 2/4/2024 at 11:21 AM, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Must admit although having travelled mostly on P&O and done around 17 cruises I can only remember one occasion having had lunch in the MDR. I find having had breakfast I don't need to eat again until mid afternoon. Then it's a piece of pizza and fries or a burger maybe. We then retire to our cabin late afternoon, before having a shower and a drink and getting ready for the evening meal. Before the meal we go to a bar and have a drink and sometimes take one through to the MDR when we eat at around 8.15-8.30 or get a beer and a G&T or wine with our meal. Then to a show afterwards.

That is exactly what we do even down to the G&T!

The reality is every cruise — the entire cruise — is a package. The food, the cabin, the itinerary, the size of the ship, the number of passengers, the kind of and the quantity of entertainment. At one price X-amount of food, drinks, and entertainment is included. At another price point a different amount of food, drinks, and entertainment is included. And this can include everything all the way up to king of the ship and you are told “No” zero times and every option on the ship is available. 

As a consumer, you have to decide how many options you need. Some people want reserve MDR and pay the price to be in the Reserve Collection. Some people want to eat in specialty restaurants and will pay the price to have that extra option.

Since casual dining was introduced, the number of “inclusive” dining options was reduced. But still, on most ships, the basic fare includes buffet, MDR, International Cafe, and lido deck food for lunch. That’s a lot of choice and variety. 

Princess, like most cruise lines, operates like a for-profit company and creates offerings to entice spending and increase revenues. Purchasing an upgraded package (Plus and Premier) creates more dining and drink options, including all of the many types of drinks, casual dining throughout the day, specialty dining, etc. 

No cruise line is immune from trying to be profitable and changes to menus and dining venues and options is the norm. Each passenger should purchase the right plan for their budget and wants. As for me, Premier makes sense. I want internet and I’m happy to pay crew appreciation. I want coffees, sodas, water, and alcoholic beverages. AND I want to have Alfredo’s pizza, Ocean Terrace’s sushi, or the gastropubs lobster Mac if the MDR doesn’t have a menu that entices me. 

• Like 2

On 2/5/2024 at 12:17 PM, homedepot124 said:

The new lunch menu is a real first world problem.  Everything on the new MDR lunch menu is better than a sandwich and an apple in the breakroom at work.

Sounds like it’s not good enough if cruisers are canceling longer cruises. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Maybe if you are looking at one of the newer Royal-class or the Sun Princess. Coral Princess has a LOT fewer options, and the International Café is the size of a postage stamp. 😳

Island Princess has even fewer. No International Cafe (I believe).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

The longer cruises do not look full the last time I checked. 

Cruising is up 6% over last year, a similar increase from the year before. When you are picking up 3 to 4 million new passengers per year, you can play with the offering and not be worried about losing passengers. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

The longer cruises do not look full the last time I checked. 

Longer cruises? 

I don't think you talking about 10 or 14 day trips. 

• Thanks 1

I'm going to blow your mind here: what if the influx of new cruisers have told Princess they hate it when they get something great for lunch in the MDR, only to find that it isn't available the next day?

Restaurants on land don't vary their menus much, and good ones still have tons of regulars, so I'm wondering whether this might be particular to the "seasoned" cruiser base who has centered their cruise experience around the MDR for as many meals as possible. 

I think it's spot on when people suggest that new cruisers don't seem to have a problem with a static menu - they treat it like a good land restaurant, and either zero in on something they like, or if the menu doesn't interest them, go to a different restaurant. Not a huge deal for them, lunch is the most flexible meal, and the ship has variety, so the MDR alone doesn't have to.

Of course, this works for the cruise line, who can streamline the kitchen's lunch service. A consistent menu comes out faster, making people happy to get their food quick, and turns over tables. It doesn't really affect the cost of lunch service other than reducing spoilage, which is the best thing to be able to reduce.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TheMichael said:

I'm going to blow your mind here: what if the influx of new cruisers have told Princess they hate it when they get something great for lunch in the MDR, only to find that it isn't available the next day?

Restaurants on land don't vary their menus much, and good ones still have tons of regulars, so I'm wondering whether this might be particular to the "seasoned" cruiser base who has centered their cruise experience around the MDR for as many meals as possible. 

I think it's spot on when people suggest that new cruisers don't seem to have a problem with a static menu - they treat it like a good land restaurant, and either zero in on something they like, or if the menu doesn't interest them, go to a different restaurant. Not a huge deal for them, lunch is the most flexible meal, and the ship has variety, so the MDR alone doesn't have to.

Of course, this works for the cruise line, who can streamline the kitchen's lunch service. A consistent menu comes out faster, making people happy to get their food quick, and turns over tables. It doesn't really affect the cost of lunch service other than reducing spoilage, which is the best thing to be able to reduce.

On land I do not eat in the same restaurant day after day. If I am on a 16 day Hawaii like I am on in April that is 11 days with basically the same menu. On land I may eat lunch out maybe a maximum of 8 days and will utilize at least 4-5 different restaurants 

I actually like that menu. The Salmon Poke bowl especially looks good. Agreed the menu is very much like HAL lunch which is the same every day. We didn’t mind it at all on HAL. I pretty much eat the same thing every day for lunch at home, lol.

As long as Princess doesn’t copy HALs dinner menus. Very meh, weird choices and mostly accompanied by corn for some reason.  We actually chose Princess for a 54 day cruise for the itinerary, and we couldn’t imagine eating HALs mdr dinners every day.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, memoak said:

On land I do not eat in the same restaurant day after day. If I am on a 16 day Hawaii like I am on in April that is 11 days with basically the same menu. On land I may eat lunch out maybe a maximum of 8 days and will utilize at least 4-5 different restaurants 

Exactly what I'm talking about - someone who wouldn't think of eating in the same spot on land will eat at only one on a ship, despite the existence of multiple venues.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, TheMichael said:

Exactly what I'm talking about - someone who wouldn't think of eating in the same spot on land will eat at only one on a ship, despite the existence of multiple venues.

And someone that wants to do that is ok … so long as the expectations align with the offering. On long cruises (over 30 days) you either need to settle in and accept there will be lots of repetition, or upgrade to a package that creates more options, or accept that when you have a craving for something different that you pay a la carte for something different. I still feel like most Princess ships have more options (included) than many of the other lines. The lido deck offerings at lunch are very competitive with other lines. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, TheMichael said:

On most Princess ships there are few lunch options   You have the buffet (super crowded and poor food choices), Pizza and burger on deck. Again same things everyday and both are your only option on port days. On most grand class ships that is it for lunch except for the premade sandwiches at IC

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, memoak said:

On most Princess ships there are few lunch options   You have the buffet (super crowded and poor food choices), Pizza and burger on deck. Again same things everyday and both are your only option on port days. On most grand class ships that is it for lunch except for the premade sandwiches at IC

Buffet (which in itself has a vast array of food, so it's kind of silly to dismiss it as just "buffet"), pizza, burgers, tacos, sandwiches (hot on the Lido or cold at International Cafe), and what, "only" 13 entrees and 8 other dishes in the MDR. All free options that don't even include desserts (if you're having a problem with dessert choice, I would suggest you may not be satisfied anywhere).

Of course, there's different food for breakfast, and a vastly expanded variety for dinner. 

Not sure where the punishment is here, 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TheMichael said:

Buffet (which in itself has a vast array of food, so it's kind of silly to dismiss it as just "buffet"), pizza, burgers, tacos, sandwiches (hot on the Lido or cold at International Cafe), and what, "only" 13 entrees and 8 other dishes in the MDR. All free options that don't even include desserts (if you're having a problem with dessert choice, I would suggest you may not be satisfied anywhere).

Of course, there's different food for breakfast, and a vastly expanded variety for dinner. 

Not sure where the punishment is here, 

Have you been in a Grand Class ship ?  There is no vast array of food just I aisle of hot food maybe 8 things and very few places to sit down. All we want is to bring back the old lunch MDR menu. You mention hit sandwich’s on lido where ?  The grill kas hot dog, burger and chicken again no change day to day

Edited by memoak
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, memoak said:

Have you been in a Grand Class ship ?  There is no vast array of food just I aisle of hot food maybe 8 things and very few places to sit down. All we want is to bring back the old lunch MDR menu. You mention hit sandwich’s on lido where ?  The grill kas hot dog, burger and chicken again no change day to day

I'm on the Emerald for 15 days in April, so I've been researching the ship, including watching some pretty OCD videos walking through the buffet at lunch. It's not the Discovery, but there are far from just 8 options (I counted a dozen entrees on the hot line alone).

It does look like it may have more cold items than some may want, though, but lunch in a tropical climate should include as many cold items as hot.

Here's the Salty Dog Grill menu - they have chicken and BBQ sandwiches as well as tacos - it may vary by ship but a recent Emerald video I've seen matches this:  https://www.princess.com/content/dam/princess/onboard-experience/food-dining/pdfs/menu-salty-dog-grill.pdf.coredownload.inline.pdf 

I think the metaphorical ship of the old lunch service may have metaphorically sailed - a static menu means a whole different philosophy in how food is ordered and prepared, and as I mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised if new cruisers had been commenting about too many food changes.

• Like 2

On 2/5/2024 at 1:17 PM, homedepot124 said:

The new lunch menu is a real first world problem.  Everything on the new MDR lunch menu is better than a sandwich and an apple in the breakroom at work.

So many here really seem to enjoy saying that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, TheMichael said:

I'm on the Emerald for 15 days in April, so I've been researching the ship, including watching some pretty OCD videos walking through the buffet at lunch. It's not the Discovery, but there are far from just 8 options (I counted a dozen entrees on the hot line alone).

It does look like it may have more cold items than some may want, though, but lunch in a tropical climate should include as many cold items as hot.

Here's the Salty Dog Grill menu - they have chicken and BBQ sandwiches as well as tacos - it may vary by ship but a recent Emerald video I've seen matches this:  https://www.princess.com/content/dam/princess/onboard-experience/food-dining/pdfs/menu-salty-dog-grill.pdf.coredownload.inline.pdf 

I think the metaphorical ship of the old lunch service may have metaphorically sailed - a static menu means a whole different philosophy in how food is ordered and prepared, and as I mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised if new cruisers had been commenting about too many food changes.

Half of those hot dishes will be vegetarian, sandwich’s are premade, only one meat being sliced and 4 different colored cheeses all taste alike. After 50 Princess cruises I avoid the buffet as much as possible

16 minutes ago, memoak said:

Half of those hot dishes will be vegetarian, sandwich’s are premade, only one meat being sliced and 4 different colored cheeses all taste alike. After 50 Princess cruises I avoid the buffet as much as possible

We spent 60+ days on the Grand last fall and had all our breakfast and most dinners in the buffet.  Took the amount we wanted, didn't over eat or spend 2 hours in the MDR for dinners.  Between Crown Grill for  several dinners, Alredos for some lunches and once at the Gastro Pop Up, our lunch was either buffet, lido deck or the IC.  We have over 50+ Princess cruises and have no problem with the choices on the buffet. . Maybe we are easier to please since we aren't foodies. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, memoak said:

I was about to post the exact same thing. They must not have ever sailed on a Grand Class ship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, memoak said:

At the buffet there were trays of hot Reuben sandwiches on Majestic Princess. Tasted the same as the ones that used to be on the lunch menu. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

At the buffet there were trays of hot Reuben sandwiches on Majestic Princess. Tasted the same as the ones that used to be on the lunch menu. 

Again that is a Royal class ship where the buffet is almost double the size of Grand class ships   On the few occasions I sail Royal class I have used it on occasion but mostly sail Grand class due to itineraries and noise levels