The new lunch menu

We just completed a 7-day cruise and were totally not impressed with the new lunch menu.

We were so not impressed that we're cancelling a 54-day cruise. Can't imaging going on a cruise for 54 days with the same thing for lunch every day.

There are 2 items that rotate on and off the menu, but the majority is the same every...single...day. Of the always available items, half were things that neither of us would eat. 

On 2 days we gave up and went to the buffet. That was not much help. On both days, the carving station had baked chicken and pork roast. 

What has happened to variety? It used to be hard to decide what to eat...not anymore.

Sadly disappointed in this new menu.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

We just completed a 7-day cruise and were totally not impressed with the new lunch menu.

We were so not impressed that we're cancelling a 54-day cruise. Can't imaging going on a cruise for 54 days with the same thing for lunch every day.

There are 2 items that rotate on and off the menu, but the majority is the same every...single...day. Of the always available items, half were things that neither of us would eat. 

On 2 days we gave up and went to the buffet. That was not much help. On both days, the carving station had baked chicken and pork roast. 

What has happened to variety? It used to be hard to decide what to eat...not anymore.

Sorry to hear about the disappointment. I’ve read enough of your comments to know that you don’t post things lightly and make knee jerk reactions. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

52 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

It is boring.  We did 47 days and the MDR said they repeat dinner menus about every 14 days.  But, the lunch didn’t seem to vary too much.  The Buffet, we went a few times and looked at the sheet they give you upon boarding of the highlights during your trip, but that’s dinner.

There really should be more variety for all meals, when you’re on the long cruises.  We do get bored too.

I think are on my 54 day, sad to see you cancel.  

• Thanks 2

I believe the Cobb salad, which is not really a Cobb salad, is available every day.  And I could eat it every day.  Most days at home I skip lunch.  So this is not a deal breaker for me.

On our long cruises we mix it up for lunch.  One day it's sandwiches at the IC, one day the Grill, one day it's pizza, one day we order off the Sanctuary menu, and of course on port days we almost always enjoy lunch in port.  We rarely have lunch in the MDR.  🤷‍♂️

Sorry to see you cancel.  If it's the March of 2026 cruise on the Island, we are on that cruise too.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, LACruiser88 said:

On our long cruises we mix it up for lunch.  One day it's sandwiches at the IC, one day the Grill, one day it's pizza, one day we order off the Sanctuary menu, and of course on port days we almost always enjoy lunch in port.  We rarely have lunch in the MDR.  🤷‍♂️

Sorry to see you cancel.  If it's the March of 2026 cruise on the Island, we are on that cruise too.

You typed faster than I did!  We mix it up for dinner also on those long ones.🤣

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Haha 1

I found the new lunch menu boring. I agree - I want variety.

On my last cruise, I did walk by the buffet at dinner. Almost every night - it was pork at the carving station. One night it was meat loaf. 

I was not impressed at all. I think you did the right thing by cancelling your cruise. Right now, I would only cruise if it was port intensive and I cared about the ports.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, voljeep said:

hopefully someone will post the new lunch menu with rotating items in this thread.

Is this it? Not sure about rotating items.  It was posted on another thread from a few weeks ago.   

We were on Regal last week but didn't eat in the MDR.  

Lunch menu 1.png

Lunch menu 2.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

The smaller the ship, the smaller the selections at the buffet. 

I'm surprised they even had two to choose from. 😉

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

Is this it? Not sure about rotating items.  It was posted on another thread from a few weeks ago.   

Lunch menu 1.png

Lunch menu 2.png

That’s it.  Thanks!

Must admit although having travelled mostly on P&O and done around 17 cruises I can only remember one occasion having had lunch in the MDR. I find having had breakfast I don't need to eat again until mid afternoon. Then it's a piece of pizza and fries or a burger maybe. We then retire to our cabin late afternoon, before having a shower and a drink and getting ready for the evening meal. Before the meal we go to a bar and have a drink and sometimes take one through to the MDR when we eat at around 8.15-8.30 or get a beer and a G&T or wine with our meal. Then to a show afterwards.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

Lunch menu 1.png

Lunch menu 2.png

I could stay happy with this for quite a few days. At least longer than our needy cat allows us to cruise.

• Like 4

We typically don't go to MDR for lunch, but based on my recollection, this menu has more items for lunch that past menus had. I can't imagine cancelling a cruise over a menu, especially since there are so many other options than the MDR, but different people prioritize differently. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

We had the new MDR lunch menu on our 60+ cruise on Grand Princess las fall.  Had to ask why the menu was the same each.  They did point out that two items where changed out each day.  We didn't eat lunch often there.  Mixed it up by going to the other venues on the ship.  Never had a problem going hungry at lunch.

Edited by coo359a2
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, HotRoot said:

I believe the Cobb salad, which is not really a Cobb salad, is available every day.  And I could eat it every day.  Most days at home I skip lunch.  So this is not a deal breaker for me.

Yes. The Cobb salad is good. I had it once with salmon. DH had it once and was very disappointed...not his idea of a Cobb salad.

1 hour ago, Paula_MacFan said:

Lunch menu 1.png

Lunch menu 2.png

Yes. The Paella and Baked Potato would be the rotating items. Although, we didn't see them on our cruise.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, VaCruzers said:

We typically don't go to MDR for lunch, but based on my recollection, this menu has more items for lunch that past menus had. I can't imagine cancelling a cruise over a menu, especially since there are so many other options than the MDR, but different people prioritize differently. 

That wasn't the only reason...just the one for this thread.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paula_MacFan said:

Lunch menu 1.png

Lunch menu 2.png

OMG! Really? A monte cristo? Almost worth dumping my favorite chicken korma. And I do like their cobb salad

30 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Yes. The Cobb salad is good. I had it once with salmon. DH had it once and was very disappointed...not his idea of a Cobb salad.

I did say it was not a (really} traditional Cobb salad.  It did have egg which they seem to miss on other salads.  Maybe they should call it something else.  I could still eat it almost every day.  And I always skip the chicken or salmon.  I like a good salad and this could be my favorite.  The other memorable one was the chicken salad at the Elite/Platinum lounge.

2 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

We always enjoy lunch in port too. 

Enjoy supporting local business and hospitality, and of course, local cuisine and beverages!

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 2