Watching Deals and Sales On Oceania Cruises for Sport

Sthrngary

7 hours ago, Huib said:

Hello again @WildWanderers

I looked at the website of Air Canada about the huge layover. I saw that if you type in Montreal to Rio de Janeiro all airports you only have to wait three hours and they get you on the same Latam flight to the other airport next to the Sugar Loaf. See scrrenshot

IMG_0240.png

Hi @Huib,

Good point!  I forgot that we had booked business class on aeroplan points, so the shortest duration to RIO/SDU was more than 24 hours and more than $12K one way for two.  The seats on aeroplan were $1.2K out of pocket, plus points of course.

Interesting how the options on aeroplan are less attractive.

Cheers,

Greg from the WildWanderers

On 5/25/2024 at 7:11 PM, bbqoug said:

@jonthomas

It may help if you tell your TA that someone else on your cruise was able to get the difference in OBC and that you should be able to as well. Our TA said the Oceania Rep got approval from a supervisor to apply the OBC.

Monday is the Memorial Day holiday, so you might not get through until Tuesday.

Well, we got an additional 4pp because of the flash sale.

There is a difference of 400 pp. When the upgrade sale came along we got 200pp obc. Now we got an additional 4pp. Laughable ...

So if you got more than that, enjoy. I say there will be another promo for this Alaska Sept sailing, since there is so much available. 

Then maybe we will get another 4pp in obcs...lol

So if one’s TA can get the discount that Oceania supposed to apply based on their terms (booking on board benefits?) and the other one can’t do the same I’d think it’s the time to look for a new TA.

• Like 1

If you feel you have been wronged, write a letter that clearly outlines your reasoning and sent to the four top executives of the cruise brand via, certified mail.  Send the same letter every week until someone gets back with you.  Social Media is not the place to get results, Travel agents will never focus the amount of attention, a client will.  To the client it is a matter of principle. The travel agent has limited time. 

Sorry, it is SO important to simply fight your own fight with those that can do something about it. That would be dealing direct with the brand.  All we can do here on Social Media is make you feel better that you were wronged.  That and a dime will not by you a cup of coffee.  As you can see, I am feisty tonight.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Well, we got an additional 4pp because of the flash sale.

There is a difference of 400 pp. When the upgrade sale came along we got 200pp obc. Now we got an additional 4pp. Laughable ...

So if you got more than that, enjoy. I say there will be another promo for this Alaska Sept sailing, since there is so much available. 

Then maybe we will get another 4pp in obcs...lol

On reading of 1st sentence, thought you meant $400 pp.

Now you'll be able to buy a couple soft drinks with your $8.

IMO, not an honorable way to treat repeat pax, especially since you have BPG.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

On reading of 1st sentence, thought you meant $400 pp.

Now you'll be able to buy a couple soft drinks with your $8.

IMO, not an honorable way to treat repeat pax, especially since you have BPG.

I found it quite funny. Can't understand the logic. Maybe that's the point, confuse the consumer enough and maybe they will stop asking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, osandomir said:

So if one’s TA can get the discount that Oceania supposed to apply based on their terms (booking on board benefits?) and the other one can’t do the same I’d think it’s the time to look for a new TA.

Yes I agree. 

There are very few constants in pursuing a policy with so many moving parts.

The lowest price guarantee policy is a great example of this.

Firstly O has it in writing that after final pay, it is up to their discretion if and  how much they will honour of this policy.

On top of that it all depends on who your agent is, your agency, who you deal with at O on any given day, probably your status and so many other factors that I haven't even thought of.

To analyse why some get more than others when all the variables are the same on paper only leads me to believe that there is no structure or intent to deal with this policy in a uniform manner.

It is haphazard, luck of the draw. Win some, lose some.

On to the next sale and more  inconsistencies.

Sport?  How about looking for deals on other lines?  Oceania has increased fares.  With increasing operator costs due to inflation plus adding cost of Simply More, fares for future cruises are higher.  Fares are way up.  Enough to exclude some previous guests.  It might even be enough to push guests to explore other options.  If Oceania costs $X more, maybe we should look at the competition.  If I spend that much for an Oceania cruise, maybe I can look at more luxurious lines.  

12 hours ago, osandomir said:

I agree. I would be using a different TA for my future bookings.

I can't help but question whether the current TA made a good faith effort to get the discount for their client, especially since others had no problem getting the discount once a supervisor at O became involved.

• Like 2

Yes I agree. So far I have not found anyone who is better than the one I have.

As for trying other lines, they have all perfected their game of saying one thing and meaning something else. We love most things about O and I guess we have to pay for it as well as put up with the inconsistencies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The one constant across all cruise lines is inconsistency.  It always depends on who you get on the other end of the phone.  This lack of uniformity is always the result of lax or non-existent supervision.  We've all heard the “This call may be monitored or recorded for quality assurance and training purposes.”  This is merely gobbledygook from the legal team.  The purpose of the recording is for them to go back to in case of a dispute from the customer.  When you can, get it in writing, organizations usually require supervisory review before something is put in writing.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@Redtravel Funny you should say look at other lines.  I just booked a 7 day, Explora Journeys Caribbean Cruise for my sister and me for February 2025.  I looked at Oceania, Explora Journey and Crystal.  The Oceania Cruise was on the Marina and was a 10 day cruise.  The Explora Journey and Crystal were both seven days.  I choose the Explora even though it was more expensive.  

I will attach the Excel Spread sheet

@SthrngaryYou are certainly detailed, but maybe you didn't want to include your booking # and full names.   Just sayin'....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, the mice said:

@SthrngaryYou are certainly detailed, but maybe you didn't want to include your booking # and full names.   Just sayin'....

@the mice I feel like a fool.  I read what happened to others.  I am so upset with myself.  Thank you. 

MODERATOR: CAN YOU HELP ME DELETE THE EXCEL.  i WILL ADJUST IT AND REPOST. 

10 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@the mice I feel like a fool.  I read what happened to others.  I am so upset with myself.  Thank you. 

MODERATOR: CAN YOU HELP ME DELETE THE EXCEL.  i WILL ADJUST IT AND REPOST. 

@Sthrngary Since that info is already out there, can you rebook the same sailing, so you get a different booking number?  Just a thought.  

Just now, Daniel A said:

@Sthrngary Since that info is already out there, can you rebook the same sailing, so you get a different booking number?  Just a thought.  

@Daniel A Agreed and already in the process.  What is funny.  This is just one more sign I am getting older.  I was talking to my wife this morning about forgetting some details I used to NEVER forget.  When we get older, we have knowledge, experience and maturity.  Just our minds and bodies simply don't want to cooperate.  LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Sthrngary

New Photo ?  I liked your Avatar -- it allowed me to imagine what you looked like !

I had viewed your comparison Xcel sheet, and also noticed your names and booking #.  Now deleted.

I would also like to experience Explora Journeys, at the right price point.  I recently watched a Travel Agency presentation, live from the Explora Journey ship.  Looks and sounds like you will enjoy your cruise with them.  They also include gratuities in the fare.

8 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

@Sthrngary

New Photo ?  I liked your Avatar -- it allowed me to imagine what you looked like !

I had viewed your comparison Xcel sheet, and also noticed your names and booking #.  Now deleted.

I would also like to experience Explora Journeys, at the right price point.  I recently watched a Travel Agency presentation, live from the Explora Journey ship.  Looks and sounds like you will enjoy your cruise with them.  They also include gratuities in the fare.

@FetaCheese on the picture.  It was suggested to me by someone I really admire to lose the Avatar.  It made me look mean and angry. It might make people not even consider read what I wrote.  Yet my posts were not so.  I thought about it and said, ok, makes sense to me. So, that is really me.

On the Explora Journey, I don't want to go into to much detail on an Oceania Blog.  It would make me question the post since it was not the brand on that specific blog.  I will say, the value on that spreadsheet was Oceania, not Crystal of Explora.  My issue was different Embarkment and dis-embarkment locations. Also, I always like to experience new brands in the Luxury segment. Not so much for me but for my sister who is joining me, round trip to Miami was better.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@FetaCheese on the picture.  It was suggested to me by someone I really admire to lose the Avatar.  It made me look mean and angry. It might make people not even consider read what I wrote.  Yet my posts were not so.  I thought about it and said, ok, makes sense to me. So, that is really me.

On the Explora Journey, I don't want to go into to much detail on an Oceania Blog.  It would make me question the post since it was not the brand on that specific blog.  I will say, the value on that spreadsheet was Oceania, not Crystal of Explora.  My issue was different Embarkment and dis-embarkment locations. Also, I always like to experience new brands in the Luxury segment. Not so much for me but for my sister who is joining me, round trip to Miami was better.

I loved your ‘Avatar’ definitely not mean or angry. For me Thoughtful and Wise! Horses for courses!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Is that your college graduation picture?

Edited by ORV
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ORV said:

Is that your college graduation picture?

@ORV Ok, so embarrass me.  Call me out on social media.  Make me feel old.  Thanks a lot.  All true though.  That picture is me, a few (maybe a few more then a few) years ago.  But it is me.  

All kidding aside.  I want everyone on CruiseCritic.com whether on this Oceania Cruise Board, or NCL, Crystal Cruise or Explora Journey Cruises how much it means to me to be aloud to talk about a subject that makes me so happy, CRUISING.  We all work hard, I feel so fortunate to still be here to enjoy this last quarter of my life on a cruise with all of YOU.  

"Cruise well, never show your current old wrinkly picture and enjoy every moment."

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Update to pursuing the appropriare reduction because of the flash sale....

The diff in price was 400pp, initially O gave us 200pp OBC, since it is after final pay...

Our TA after much back and forth, was able to get the correct amount of 400 pp  in the form of a gift that can only be spent on board...so can't use it now for tours.

Thank you to all those that said, keep trying.

Not about the amount, but about trying to have a cruise line honor what they have in print.

"Best Price guarantee "

• Like 5

Hello to @Sthrngary,

Well, Gary, nice makeover!  You're actually a good looking guy after all, much less curmudgeonly than your previous pic! 😉

And to all, and somewhat more on topic:

Is it written anywhere what types of sales and discounts and credits, etc. can and cannot be combined.  My Oceania rep earlier this week told me to go ahead and send in the two coupons ($200 per person) we got for booking a cruise within x (was it 45?) days since our last cruise.  I had asked him to find out first if this was combinable with the other discounts I already had on this future cruise, and he said...send it in and take your chances.  And if he doesn't know if it is combinable, then...?

We had received these same coupons some 6 months ago, had filled them out, never heard back, had our Oceania rep follow up and learned that their kind offer was "not combinable."

Does anyone have a definitive list of what can be combined with what.  Or, point me to where this is documented.  Surely it has to be evergreen, given the number of new sales that pop up.  

I like to know the rules and not be dependent upon someone else's whim-based decision.  

End of rant.  I feel better now.

Cheers from Greg of the WildWanderers

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WildWanderers said:

Hello to @Sthrngary,

Well, Gary, nice makeover!  You're actually a good looking guy after all, much less curmudgeonly than your previous pic! 😉

And to all, and somewhat more on topic:

Is it written anywhere what types of sales and discounts and credits, etc. can and cannot be combined.  My Oceania rep earlier this week told me to go ahead and send in the two coupons ($200 per person) we got for booking a cruise within x (was it 45?) days since our last cruise.  I had asked him to find out first if this was combinable with the other discounts I already had on this future cruise, and he said...send it in and take your chances.  And if he doesn't know if it is combinable, then...?

We had received these same coupons some 6 months ago, had filled them out, never heard back, had our Oceania rep follow up and learned that their kind offer was "not combinable."

Does anyone have a definitive list of what can be combined with what.  Or, point me to where this is documented.  Surely it has to be evergreen, given the number of new sales that pop up.  

I like to know the rules and not be dependent upon someone else's whim-based decision.  

End of rant.  I feel better now.

Cheers from Greg of the WildWanderers

I had the same thing happen to me.  Sending the offer and later not honoring it. I consider it a bait and switch.  Even my TA thought it was wrong. She gave me the $200.  I am a frequent traveler.  I didn’t book any future O cruises.  My TA has made suggestions about other possible options.  

My favorite post cruise discount has always been Windstar.  Book onboard or within 60 days after cruising, discount is 10%.  For all past cruisers, book anytime 5%.  Special fares may not get that discount.  That 5% or 10% saves me a good amount.  It certainly beats what O offers.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@FetaCheese on the picture.  It was suggested to me by someone I really admire to lose the Avatar.  It made me look mean and angry. It might make people not even consider read what I wrote.  Yet my posts were not so.  I thought about it and said, ok, makes sense to me. So, that is really me.... 

AND now it makes it easier to find you onboard. On our cruise on Riveria late last year in the Med I think you were the 4th or 5th person I'd walked up to asking, "Are you, by chance, the Southern Gary who posts on Cruise Critic?" [Guess I should've known you be hanging out at the pool bar? And it was Gina who said, "Maybe that's him? Go ask. I was getting frustrated by the weird looks I was getting from those I had asked before.] 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

AND now it makes it easier to find you onboard. On our cruise on Riveria late last year in the Med I think you were the 4th or 5th person I'd walked up to asking, "Are you, by chance, the Southern Gary who posts on Cruise Critic?" [Guess I should've known you be hanging out at the pool bar? And it was Gina who said, "Maybe that's him? Go ask. I was getting frustrated by the weird looks I was getting from those I had asked before.] 

@MEFIowa LMAO, you are missing the BEST part of the story.  Yes, we were with another couple.  Yes, if anyone wants to find me, I am at a bar.  Yes, the only bar I could find was the pool bar.  You went up to my friend traveling with me, who actually looks like the image I used to use and said, "Are you SthrnGary?" He laughed and said no because you were the forth person to ask him.  He really looks like the old picture.  I said, "Who is SthrnGary and is he a good guy?"  You said yes, he writes a lot on CruiseCritic.com.  I said, "I am SthrnGary!"  

That meeting made my trip.  My friend was so sick of being called SthrnGary.  He thought it was crazy how many folks knew who I was.  The same thing happened at the Martini Bar with a new friend by the name of Bubba.  Bubba, if you are reading this, I miss you. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1