Guaranteed Staterooms - When is it assigned ?

julmops

Hi all,

The question is pretty much in the title of this thread.

We are booked in a guaranteed Vista Suite on the Muse in June around Alaska and I was just wondering when Silversea would start assigning the staterooms.

We have paid in full, got our excursions and restaurants sorted, just waiting for the last bit ...

Many thanks in advance for your help !

23 minutes ago, julmops said:

Hi all,

The question is pretty much in the title of this thread.

We are booked in a guaranteed Vista Suite on the Muse in June around Alaska and I was just wondering when Silversea would start assigning the staterooms.

We have paid in full, got our excursions and restaurants sorted, just waiting for the last bit ...

Many thanks in advance for your help !

Good morning, there is not a specific time frame to your question but I will say since you are not sailing until June, there is a good possibility the cabin assignment may not happen for at least 2 more months.

When booking a gty cabin, the cabin can be assigned up until the actual sail date.

• Like 1

Some passengers who book a GTY cabin have it assigned as soon as they book and pay.  Others don't have it assigned until they arrive to board.  So it could be anytime between now and when you check-in at the cruise terminal.

Check your booking periodically on MySilversea and once you are assigned a stateroom, you'll see the number appear.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, julmops said:

Thanks both ! Checking frenetically several times a day 😉 Need to be patient ...

Yes. Several times a day is overkill. You’ll drive yourself nuts! 😁

We got our room assignment about 3 months b4 sailing on what is now a waitlisted cruise. I don’t know if that expedited the room assignment or not.  Good luck, hope you don’t have to wait too long. Enjoy your cruise! 

• Like 1

When we did our recent cruise on the Muse we received our cabin assignment about 2 weeks prior.  We had booked a Panorama guarantee and ended up with a Superior Veranda.   Really happy about that.

Edited by datone

4 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

We sail on Silver Muse on 1 May and our guarantee cabin, along with ones for 3 other friends, was assigned today - and we’re all very happy with the outcome

What did you book/get?

I can not work out why it isn't assigned at time of booking like most other lines. Often you may pay a premium but it takes out the worry of being given a location you dont like

6 minutes ago, cqtiger said:

I can not work out why it isn't assigned at time of booking like most other lines

I don’t think it’s correct to say most lines assign guarantees at the time of booking - that would defeat the purpose of the guarantee system and the flexibility it gives to the cruise line 

First rule of booking a guarantee is always be prepared to be allocated anywhere within the category you book the guarantee in - it may be better but that is by no means guaranteed

If you’re nervous about specific cabin location then I’d say a guarantee booking is not for you 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cqtiger said:

I can not work out why it isn't assigned at time of booking like most other lines. Often you may pay a premium but it takes out the worry of being given a location you dont like

Regent doesn't assign GTY until a week or 2 before sailing. I can't imagine any cruise line assigning a guaranteed cabin at the time of booking. If you want an assigned cabin, then you have to pay for it at the time of booking. GTY gives you a chance to be upgraded at no cost, but the downside is that you have to wait until the last minute to find out where and what your cabin is.

My brother is not fussy about his cabin being anywhere on the ship since he doesn't get seasick, and noise in his cabin doesn't bother him. He still is bothered by not knowing what cabin he's been assigned until the last minute, but so far he has gotten a veranda cabin when he paid for a window cabin. It doesn't make up for paying a 100 percent single supplement, and I'm sure all solo travelers feel the same way.

this is my first time on silverseas previous on HAL RCL and celebrity I chose my cabin at time of booking.  If you allowed the line to allocate it was sometimes cheaper  but no assurance it would be a good location even if you jagged an upgrade hence my reason for asking. I always want to know exactly where my cabin is located.

7 minutes ago, cqtiger said:

I always want to know exactly where my cabin is located.

Guarantees are not for you 

Were talking about two different things - what you’ve had in the past was different as it just allowed them to select the cabin for you at a discount to you selecting it - but in that scenario you always got the same category you had booked - just the location within would vary 

20 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Guarantees are not for you 

Were talking about two different things - what you’ve had in the past was different as it just allowed them to select the cabin for you at a discount to you selecting it - but in that scenario you always got the same category you had booked - just the location within would vary 

but silverseas has no other option from what I can see

49 minutes ago, cqtiger said:

but silverseas has no other option from what I can see

Silversea do offer the true guarantee option on some classes/cruises. They don’t offer what you experienced on those mass market lines 

Of you have a TA they can explain the differences to you - if you don’t use a TA experienced with this I suggest you consider getting one who does have the knowledge 

• Like 2

I am not sure I understand this thread at all I fear I sound elitist.  I have 10 cruises and have 159 days, so we are not any sort of VIPS.  After our second cruise, I select the suite I want when I book the cruise, may up to a year in advance, and this for simple verandas not the real pricey stuff.  I have learned a lot of obscure lessons, such as , 'don't book a cabin on the deck below the swimming pool.  The dutiful crew starts moving deck chairs at 6:00 QM sharp an it is LOUD.   And the obvious, stay away from elevators and other busy traffic areas.I have a great CC ( he owes me a phone call so the 'great" is in peril) and he knows my particulars-mid ship, medium deck-never the top decks  which will rock and roll more.  So when we talk, I am usually able to get the suite I want or within a door I don't know if is the difference maker here but I book about a year in advance.  But I always book back to backs and sometimes it's tricky getting the same cabin twice in a row  With all my advice  I just got stuck with suite 826 on the Whisper for 30 days.  Too high. If on board could you take a peek and see if there are any red flags.   Thanks.  Cheers

1 hour ago, chrism23 said:

I am not sure I understand this thread at all I fear I sound elitist.  I have 10 cruises and have 159 days, so we are not any sort of VIPS.  After our second cruise, I select the suite I want when I book the cruise, may up to a year in advance, and this for simple verandas not the real pricey stuff.  I have learned a lot of obscure lessons, such as , 'don't book a cabin on the deck below the swimming pool.  The dutiful crew starts moving deck chairs at 6:00 QM sharp an it is LOUD.   And the obvious, stay away from elevators and other busy traffic areas.I have a great CC ( he owes me a phone call so the 'great" is in peril) and he knows my particulars-mid ship, medium deck-never the top decks  which will rock and roll more.  So when we talk, I am usually able to get the suite I want or within a door I don't know if is the difference maker here but I book about a year in advance.  But I always book back to backs and sometimes it's tricky getting the same cabin twice in a row  With all my advice  I just got stuck with suite 826 on the Whisper for 30 days.  Too high. If on board could you take a peek and see if there are any red flags.   Thanks.  Cheers

Chrism23, when I booked my cruise on the Muse, I decided to go the cheapest option possible which was a Guaranteed Vista Suite. As we are at 112 days before the cruise, I was only asking if some people had experience of this, just to see when we could expect to get a stateroom assigned. I'm not precious about being anywhere on the ship and if we are on a Vista Suite, I'll be happy all the same 😉

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, chrism23 said:

I am not sure I understand this thread at all I fear I sound elitist. 

Are you being serious that you don't understand this thread?  It is pretty simple...OP booked a GTY and wanted some feedback on when he might expect to find out what suite he has been assigned.

Some aren't as particular about what suite they sail in, particularly since on Silversea the only real differences between the lowest and highest price suites onboard are cabin size and location (as opposed to those cruise lines that provide different amenities, services and dining options depending on your cabin category).  While there are some suites that may be less desirable for those who are more sensitive about sounds from a deck above, cruise service stairs or passenger elevators; for some of us that isn't a concern.  And when sailing on cruises where veranda use would be less frequent (such as our late Sept sailing from Anchorage to Tokyo which is certain to have many cool/chilly days), having a veranda may not be important at all. 

For those passengers, booking a GTY category can save thousands of dollars.  Anecdotal reports suggest that the vast majority of those booking a Vista or Panorama Suite GTY end up with a Veranda Suite (in many cases, a Superior Veranda Suite).  We booked a Vista GTY for our upcoming Anchorage to Tokyo sailing.  We'll be quite satisfied with a Vista Suite if that is what we are assigned.  If we end up in a Veranda Suite or even higher, that would be great too.  If we do end up in a Veranda Suite, we will have saved well over $4k by booking a Vista GTY vs selecting a Veranda Suite at the time of booking!  Even if we end up with a Vista Suite, we will have saved enough by booking it as a GTY to fully cover our business class airfares from ATL to ANC and a $400/nt pre-cruise hotel stay.

It's just a matter of personal preference. 🙂   Fair winds and following seas!  🛳️

• Like 5

We booked so far Vista GTY, in the two previous cruises got Superior veranda. I think both times the assignment happened around 2-3 weeks prior to sailing. We are now waiting for the assignment for our May 6 cruise. If we stay at Vista, it's perfectly fine. If veranda was a must have, we would book veranda in the first place. All cabins on SS are fabulous, so we don't mind booking the cheapest category and getting whatever they decide to give us.

• Like 3

My. I seemed to it a nerve here.  A few retorts.  The incident with the pool chairs was on the Muse.  It was loud and lasted about 10 minutes at promptly 6:00 AM every morning.  When I say loud think of a light plane hitting the ship. It got you up.   Some neighbors complained, in passing I blamed myself for not looking at the deck plans more closely .  I think this heads up is worth it to many pax.  

Being next to elevators is also a problem for me.  I stand by that comment too.  I think many people find elevators and resulting conversation sometimes bothersome outside their door at 2 in the morning.   

As to a cabin location where I don't think you have ever been caught on deck 9 in a North Atlantic Storm.  Not even scopolmine patches helped me.  We were nearly bouncing off the ceiling.  The passengers on Deck 6 in the middle of the ship probably had a much better time and maybe even ate dinner,  I could go on with my comments but I won't, I have got many but you get the drift. 

I may snob and really don't care.  At home I have tried to construct an environment that is calm, quiet, and serene as possible.  I don't see why I shouldn't try to do the same on board.

BTW. One cruise I got bumped to an owner's suite because of A/C problems.  It is waaaay too big,  the person in the other one had a cocktail party for 64 the day we got switch.  It was eerie having so much space.  

49 minutes ago, chrism23 said:

My. I seemed to it a nerve here.  A few retorts.  The incident with the pool chairs was on the Muse.  It was loud and lasted about 10 minutes at promptly 6:00 AM every morning.  When I say loud think of a light plane hitting the ship. It got you up.   Some neighbors complained, in passing I blamed myself for not looking at the deck plans more closely .  I think this heads up is worth it to many pax.  

Being next to elevators is also a problem for me.  I stand by that comment too.  I think many people find elevators and resulting conversation sometimes bothersome outside their door at 2 in the morning.   

As to a cabin location where I don't think you have ever been caught on deck 9 in a North Atlantic Storm.  Not even scopolmine patches helped me.  We were nearly bouncing off the ceiling.  The passengers on Deck 6 in the middle of the ship probably had a much better time and maybe even ate dinner,  I could go on with my comments but I won't, I have got many but you get the drift. 

I may snob and really don't care.  At home I have tried to construct an environment that is calm, quiet, and serene as possible.  I don't see why I shouldn't try to do the same on board.

BTW. One cruise I got bumped to an owner's suite because of A/C problems.  It is waaaay too big,  the person in the other one had a cocktail party for 64 the day we got switch.  It was eerie having so much space.  

Speaking for myself, I was responding to your specific comment about not understanding this thread.  However, it appears you DID understand this thread, you just perhaps don't understand why anyone would book a guarantee instead of doing it your way.

Nobody was questioning your personal preference to select your own cabin nor is there any reason for you to feel like you must explain or justify your personal choices to us.  Like yourself, many who cruise prefer to select their own cabin at the time of booking.  There is nothing whatsoever wrong with that.  Others are happy with any cabin on board and therefore choose to save thousands by booking a GTY.  Nothing wrong with that either.  And some of us book both ways depending on the itinerary.  When cruising in areas where having a balcony is very desirable, I'll book a specific Veranda or higher suite or at least a Veranda guarantee.  When cruising in cold areas where I don't care whether I have a balcony, I'll book a Vista guarantee.

To each his/her own.  That's the beauty of choice and freedom!  🙂

• Like 5