Scenic Glacier Cruising Etiquette

Quiltr

5 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Was there no other viewing point that you could have gone to on the ship?

We move about the ship so much that if we go to one deck and there is a crowd, we move to another deck.  Although we always are there early to get our best spot, if it is occupied we always seem to find another vantage point.

Probably but I had gone to front of ship and there was only a short time as we sailed past the statue and into port.  Also I m not an early morning person so it was an effort for me to get there at all at that time. Lol. 

• Like 1

As long as you don’t move furniture or other heavy equipment into the viewing area the spot is yours until yielded.  But it is only yours, if your spouse arrives later, too bad, he must go to the back.  As to the HAL bench seating, a seat is a seat and if you occupy the lounger you only control the lounger, when you sat in the lounger you saw the row in front of you but made your choice.  

My gripe is the people who camp out in the lounger knitting or napping while others try to view a scenic event.  Sure they are entitled to the seat but that is just thoughtless.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2024 at 1:57 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Truthfully, I agree that those who get up early and get a good viewing position are not obligated to give it up.

On the other hand, I like to think I am kind, so if I had a really nice position I would offer to let someone else take it for a few minutes to get some pics, once I'd gotten mine. (After all cruise ships don't move that fast.) But it would be on the understanding that I would get the spot back once they got their shots.

I have had mixed success “lending” some my prime viewing spot on the rail. Too often the person I moved for either wants to keep it or lets their friends in. 

4 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

I have had mixed success “lending” some my prime viewing spot on the rail. Too often the person I moved for either wants to keep it or lets their friends in. 

That’s a bit rude!  If this happens just keep moving forward until they get the message. Lol

I've been reading this and honestly am (almost) amazed. Just how long do you need to stand there before you pretty much seen all you need/want to see? Let others in please.

• Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, clo said:

I've been reading this and honestly am (almost) amazed. Just how long do you need to stand there before you pretty much seen all you need/want to see? Let others in please.

The question has been whether I should give up my spot or whether I will give it up when I am done looked.  My attitude is that once I have a good spot I will keep it until I am done looking and then I will leave.  Otherwise I will be there for the duration.  My choice and not the choice of someone wants my spot.

DON

• Like 1

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

should

Oh, sorry, I meant like "should I hold the door for the person following me"? I too often forget that being raised in the South 'should' has a different meaning sometimes. Definitely your choice; forget I mentioned 'should.'

14 hours ago, donaldsc said:

The question has been whether I should give up my spot or whether I will give it up when I am done looked.  My attitude is that once I have a good spot I will keep it until I am done looking and then I will leave.  Otherwise I will be there for the duration.  My choice and not the choice of someone wants my spot.

DON

15 hours ago, clo said:

Sorry if my response is offensive to you as it is not intended to be.

Like Don, I am going to stay until I am finished watching and seeing what I want to see.

For the Panama Canal crossing, I stood from 5:15am until we were through the canal completely.  I did not move from my spot.  I wanted to experience the entire canal crossing.  This is what I was on the ship for.

I was there at 5:15 and the Resident Historian was there at that point too.  There were perhaps only 5 or 6 others that arrived at that time.  Most people arrived when we were already in the canal locks.

I was on this ship for the Canal crossing - nothing else.  I made sure that I was up in plenty of time to get my spot.

How is this different from me lining up to get tickets to the most sought after concert?  What if I choose to be at the front of the line even if it means that I am standing/sitting for 12 hours?  I am not going to let others in because the line is now so long...

Again, sorry if this is offensive to you, as it is not intended to be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

For the Panama Canal crossing, I stood from 5:15am until we were through the canal completely.  I did not move from my spot.  I wanted to experience the entire canal crossing.  This is what I was on the ship for.

I am not questioning your right, but wow that is a long time!  

I just did the canal transit for the first time and it was extremely interesting but there's no way I was going to stand outside in the heat and humidity for something like 8 hours -- that's true dedication. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I am not questioning your right, but wow that is a long time!  

I just did the canal transit for the first time and it was extremely interesting but there's no way I was going to stand outside in the heat and humidity for something like 8 hours -- that's true dedication. 

Time I got the very most use of a balcony cabin was the Panama Canal cruise.  Great to view but I didn't sit there for 8 hours.   Came and went.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1