The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday February 17th, 2024

kazu

Analog to digital TV was a big deal when it happened - I didn't know it has a day. Not sure what the other 2 days are, but I know I'll soon learn. Mr Eastwood is correct.

The meal doesn't excite me, maybe on the drink and wine, not been to the port.

All very impactful days in history.

Today is empty out under the kitchen sink in preparation of the plumber coming day. I'm scheduled for sometime Tuesday, but they'll send someone out if they get a cancelation, so I have to be ready. I think the garbage disposal is shot and has to be replaced, but I'll be okay w/a repair job if they can get it running. Based on the serial # it's 8 years old; supposedly should last 10-12 years, so it should not be ready for the recycle bin yet. There's standing water in the sink from running the dish washer that I have to scoop out, too. Ugh.

Searching replacement cruises for the March one I canceled is aggravating - prices are crazy. Carnival is less than half the cost of HAL and is drivable, but I really don't want to cruise on Carnival. Then I look at saving more than half...🤷‍♀️🙄 I will look at AK later today for May to replace that one I canceled since I know surgery would not be before then.

Nothing on the person(s) who kidnapped the 12 yo girl that was found by the Trafficking Taskforce.

Currently 37° headed to 72°.

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 

20240217_025732.thumb.jpg.b2bba1f24d3937a73d2ac7f236f9f8d1.jpg

• Like 23

@JazzyV, Thank you for including Tana on the care list. I am hoping that her latest infection is taken care of so she can be removed from the acute list. 
The latest bump in the road has left her quite weak. We continue to lurch along here. Thank you so much for all you do for us.

• Like 25

Good morning and Happy Saturday.  Prayers for all in need.  Please stay safe if you are experiencing bad weather today and need to be on the roads.

We got back home around 10 am yesterday.  Getting off the ship was super easy.  Being a Pinnacle member on Royal gets us breakfast in a specialty restaurant.  Concierge told us to go have breakfast and he would meet us with a “pusher” for Bill’s wheelchair to exit ship.  Super easy for me.  

Bill did ok on this trip and enjoyed all his meals but is having trouble being comfortable on his scooter.  Room steward was great and very attentive. No adverse weather so waters were very smooth.  Next trip is March 15 with just my sister - same ship — Vision out of Baltimore.

Best wishes for a great weekend.  Katherine 

• Like 28

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I'm happy we have digital TV, even though with all the additional channels, there's often not much worth watching.  It would be fun to watch the crab races, and sometimes you just have to have things My Way.  

After the ugly cold of the other day, today we're warming up again, with a temp this morning of only -8 (17F) and an expected high of 0 (32) . . . we do live in a weird place.  The nice thing about living here though, is the fact that we get so much sunshine, so even if it's cold enough for your nose to fall off your face, it's sunny!

Yesterday I scored big time with my run to WalMart - I was able to hunt down the yarn that was on sale (they didn't put it in the regular aisle), and even though they weren't marked, I ran back and forth to the scanner to check prices and was able to get 6 very large skeins and 8 regular size skeins for around $30.  That should keep me busy for a few weeks making blankets!  I also stopped at the pet store to pick up some different dry food for Sochi to try, and was pleased that she actually liked it.  The good thing about buying at the pet store is that if she didn't like the crunchies, I could return the bag for a refund, rather than having paid a lot for something I just would have to give away.

Bon Voyage @cat shepard and @Nickelpenny; enjoy your cruises!!

Welcome home to the Daily-ites from your cruises, you've been missed!

This afternoon I'm going over to visit my friend whose husband passed away last week.  I'm bringing over a care package for her - a large container of assorted chocolates and wine.  I know she's been inundated with flowers, but I also know she has a penchant for chocolates, as she always has a drawer filled with mini bars in her desk at work. 

I will pass on the drink of the day (rye whiskey), would love the Cava, and would like to try the menu suggestion.  DH has asked for lemon pasta tonight so when I get home from visiting my friend, I'll whip that up along with some shrimp for us to enjoy at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, or needing a hug.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Ward Eight

Today's drink dates to just before or after 1900. The name refers to Ward 8 in Boston, and while there are conflicting attributions, all accounts agree that it was created to honor (or roast) a candidate named Martin Lomasney who was, however, a teetotaler.

ward-eight.thumb.jpg.b0e55b8853b08a7bec3c237cc7c42ecb.jpg

2 oz rye whiskey (100 proof/50% ABV)
3/4 oz lemon juice
3/4 oz orange juice
1/2 oz grenadine

Shake ingredients with ice and strain into chilled glass. Garnish (optional): orange slice and maraschino cherry.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 17

Today's sunrise is from my 2018 Crystal 2-ship World Cruise.  February 17 was transition day and I started the day on Crystal Serenity anchored in Sydney and finished on Crystal Symphony at White Bay.

dawn0217.jpg

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Good morning to all from the Port of Miami!  It took some doing to get here but I made it!!!  Ground stop in Denver so we couldn’t take off from LAX. 2 hrs late getting into Denver and about 1.5 hrs late getting into Miami. Couldn’t find the baggage claim but finally did. Uber to the port, dropped off my luggage, walked around the port and chilled. Already checked in and now just waiting to board. Group 1!  May the fun begin!!!

Thoughts for those on the care list and CHEERS to all!

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 24

7 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

Good morning to all from the Port of Miami!  It took some doing to get here but I made it!!!  Ground stop in Denver so we couldn’t take off from LAX. 2 hrs late getting into Denver and about 1.5 hrs late getting into Miami. Couldn’t find the baggage claim but finally did. Uber to the port, dropped off my luggage, walked around the port and chilled. Already checked in and now just waiting to board. Group 1!  May the fun begin!!!

Bon Voyage!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lcubed said:

Good Morning!

I hope @cat shepard has a wonderful cruise. I will try to sub for her on the wine selections while she is away.  We are expecting rain here for the next two days but so far this morning no rain but 97% humidity and 64F/18C.

Campo Viejo Cava Brut Reserva

This Cava from Spain seems to be very popular with 4 and 5 star reviews and pairs well with hors d’oeuvres, fish, clams mussels and shrimp. It can be found for about $12.00. I would certainly give it a try.

Winemaker Notes

A noble and austere sparkling cava. Greenish yellow in color with golden glints, it's clear and star bright. A persistent, elegant stream of bubbles rise to form a perfect rosary on the surface. Complex aromas of white fruits with hints of wood. Fresh, well-balanced, and elegant on the palate with an excellent final sensation.

Thanks for the "Sub Report" - you'll do fine, you're off to a great start!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

@Nickelpenny once you get settled in can you give us an estimate of sailaway time.  While we can't see closeups like in Fort Lauderdale Zaandam is pointed inland so we can hopefully get a view of you turning around at the turning basin.

Roy

• Like 18

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

@Nickelpenny once you get settled in can you give us an estimate of sailaway time.  While we can't see closeups like in Fort Lauderdale Zaandam is pointed inland so we can hopefully get a view of you turning around at the turning basin.

Roy

I will do that. It is scheduled for 5 pm but I will let you know. 👍

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from dreary and foggy San Diego.  Disembarking is going slowly.  I'm glad we are not having to catch a flight.  With stops, we have about a five hour drive. Time to leave the ship.

Lenda

Safe travels, and welcome back!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nickelpenny said:

Have a great trip!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from dreary and foggy San Diego.  Disembarking is going slowly.  I'm glad we are not having to catch a flight.  With stops, we have about a five hour drive. Time to leave the ship.

Lenda

Safe travels home. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good day. It’s Sunday and we will be visiting Wellington later today. Yesterday our day in Napier was a trip down memory lane as we did the same wine tour in 2015-  The city was celebrating it’s annual Art Deco Celebration so there were many vintage cars and folk dressed in 1920 styled clothing. Many streets in town were closed off for the occasion.

Didn’t take many pictures yesterday so not much to add other then Mission Winery and Vineyards, logs for export and the “building.” The Celebrity Edge was also in port yesterday but that was the last time we will share a port call with what our Captain refers to as “the building.”

Time to rise, shower and seek coffee.

Have a great weekend. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.9af11878bc4136e9d77ffce0d7e8fe08.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9e4791fea03f75618cf60b5c9f5f6997.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3334ba677c3bc43d237462908930fa64.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.49cf065b0bded2c06165b56bc8e7b04a.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, Nickelpenny said:

Have a wonderful time!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the FR/Daily @kazu and @richwmn, and maps @rafinmd.

Digital TV is good.  I never heard of crab racing. I try to do things my way. Funny quote. The meal sounds good, although a bit carb laden. Pass on the drink and the wine. I have not been to Otaru. Interesting days, although a bad one for SC.

We got about 6" of snow from last evening to this AM. I heard my snow removal people outside while I was still in bed. It is sunny now, 28F, and looks beautiful out there, especially if you don't have to go anywhere. I got about 4 hours of sleep. I took Benadryl at bedtime because I'd forgotten Claritin yesterday morning, and my leg was very itchy at the injection site last night. The floors are done and look good. I was able to walk on them to go up to bed last night, but furniture won't come back in until Monday or Tuesday. Then the wood and furniture all needs to be wiped down. And big decisions about what goes back in vs sold or donated. I will wait to do most of the putting back until after my procedure. 

@Nickelpenny Bon Voyage! I'm glad you made it in spite of delays.

@cat shepard Bon Voyage!

@StLouisCruisers I'm glad DGD Morgan is able to get away for a weekend.

@RMLincoln It sounds like you had a nice day yesterday, which you deserve. I know your heart is with your NM friends at the memorial service in TX.

@Lcubed Thanks for posting the wine information in cat shepard's absence.

@smitty34877 I will take Tana off the acute list. I'm sorry she's so weak, and hope she can regain some strength. How is her eating? I know when people can't breathe easily they often won't eat.

@Lady Hudson I'm glad you and DH had a good cruise. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Safe drive home.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to those Celebrating.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 6