Steak Recommendation

deanman02

11 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

The real question is “Which cow do you recommend?”

This.

All of the steaks are going to be prepared in basically the same way, likely by the same chef.  Once you are past that, it depends on the quality of that particular steak, and there is always going to be a chance that you don't get the most ideal one.  A lot of that is just luck of the draw.

My advice is to choose a cut (filet, ribeye, strip, etc.) that you already know you like.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

All of the steaks are going to be prepared in basically the same way, likely by the same chef.

And on a cruise ship it’s unlikely they’re cooking the steaks on an open flame grill. Fire 🔥 and cruise ships don’t like each other.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

And on a cruise ship it’s unlikely they’re cooking the steaks on an open flame grill. Fire 🔥 and cruise ships don’t like each other.

They use electric grills above a water bath. The water catches the fat drippings so there are no flare-ups.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

They use electric grills above a water bath. The water catches the fat drippings so there are no flare-ups.

And that’s why my cruise ship steakhouse expectations are lower than at a land-based steakhouse. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

And that’s why my cruise ship steakhouse expectations are lower than at a land-based steakhouse. 

The steaks can be quite good but yeah that's a good plan. 

In the past the cost was a good bit cheaper than a land steakhouse, but that's not really true anymore.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I always do the ribeye, but I am comfortably full about half way through it, so I take it back to the room, wrap it in foil, and put it in the fridge.  To keep the fridge a bit colder, we put the ice bucket with ice in the fridge.   That ribeye at 2:30 in the morning on our balcony is amazing!!!

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, BTromboneFrack said:

I always do the ribeye, but I am comfortably full about half way through it, so I take it back to the room, wrap it in foil, and put it in the fridge.  To keep the fridge a bit colder, we put the ice bucket with ice in the fridge.   That ribeye at 2:30 in the morning on our balcony is amazing!!!

I've never eaten refrigerator cold steak in my life...doesn't sound appealing to me ngl...

1 minute ago, mz-s said:

I've never eaten refrigerator cold steak in my life...doesn't sound appealing to me ngl...

You are missing out of one of life’s simple pleasures 😊

• Like 6

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

OH, it's GREAT.   All the juices have a chance to mingle, and being out on the balcony with the sea air........   Just -- WOW.  

On 2/18/2024 at 12:31 PM, Essiesmom said:

I would have the filet simply because it’s the smallest.   O way I could do justice to any of the others.  EM

You're not kidding.  That's what I went with, but then the damn cheesecake was GIGANTIC.

• Like 1