RCCL announces new addition coming.

9 hours ago, ChrisCJR said:

I'm curious why they elected to build another Oasis-class ship after rolling out Icon? I love the Oasis-class personally, but it was an interesting decision, I think. Wasn't Utopia promoted as the last ship in the class?

Nothing wrong with it, it just seems a bit odd after marketing Icon as bigger and better. On the plus side, Boardwalk fans should be happy.

There was a lot of “chatter” the last year or so about RCI building a new smaller class ship (i.e. Project Discovery). I think RCI leadership saw how the demand for Icon sent prices skyrocketing and decided another big ship would be more profitable. I am sure it is more complicated than that, but RCI is clearly focused on attracting families, the majority who want to sail on ships with the latest bells and whistles. A new smaller class ship without the latest bells and whistles is not going to be appealing to most families. 

• Like 1

My two pennyworth. 

Not everyone likes the same thing.  There's only a finite number of people who:

A) can afford to pay hundreds of pounds per night per person on Icon class.

B) are happy with the same old same old ports/itinerary time after time that Icon and Oasis class go to.

C) enjoy the mega ships

If Royal wants to push loyal cruisers, who prefer smaller ships without the bells and whistles and which go to interesting ports, onto other lines then I guess that's the future as they see it.  

On 2/18/2024 at 8:30 AM, JJK2008 said:

The Royal Caribbean Group announced that it has entered into an agreement with the French shipbuilder Chantiers de l’Atlantique to build the new ship. The French shipbuilder is to build the seventh Oasis Class ship for the Royal Caribbean International fleet in 2028.

“While we eagerly anticipate the debut of Royal Caribbean’s Utopia of the Seas this summer, we’re already dreaming up her sister ship and the next installation in the brand’s extremely popular Oasis Class,” said Jason Liberty, president and CEO of Royal Caribbean Group.

Seems a little odd that they would build a 7th Oasis class as opposed to another Icon class... 🤔

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sgmn said:

My two pennyworth. 

B) are happy with the same old same old ports/itinerary time after time that Icon and Oasis class go to.

C) enjoy the mega ships

If Royal wants to push loyal cruisers, who prefer smaller ships without the bells and whistles and which go to interesting ports, onto other lines then I guess that's the future as they see it.  

There is only a few if really any comparable options to what RCCL has been doing with the mega ships.  While there is several cruise line options for smaller ships with a more luxury feel, including one that they own with Celebrity.  

4 hours ago, SUgwoz said:

Icon class will have 3 ships in the span of 3-4 years. Oasis class took 7 years to get 3 ships.  Smarter to take time to see what works and what does not. 

Cost of Icon class build is roughly 50% more than Oasis Class.  

Does seem less likely they are going to allocate much money outside of Oasis class or larger.

Interesting, I didn't realize Icon was that much more. That's absolutely the reason then.

RCI has made it pretty clear that they are looking at costs and that'd no doubt include the ships themselves. 

7 hours ago, zebra36 said:

Looks like this may kill the prospect of going with a mid-sized class in the near(?) future.

If RCCL wants to continue to have a ship sail out of Baltimore and Tampa, they need a smaller ship. I see most of their older/smaller ships gone in the next 3-5 years.

At least I know I can drive over to Tampa to board a smaller ship, which is more my style.  🙂  Love going under the Sunshine Skyway bridge anyway.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, toad455 said:

If RCCL wants to continue to have a ship sail out of Baltimore and Tampa, they need a smaller ship. I see most of their older/smaller ships gone in the next 3-5 years.

It seems like majority of the cruise lines avoid Tampa, which is unfortunate.  Looking at their schedule all the ships that use that port are 20+ years old.  It's not just Royal leaving them out.

7 hours ago, fletch1027 said:

Seems a little odd that they would build a 7th Oasis class as opposed to another Icon class... 🤔

I heard that Icon and Oasis are built in different ship yards, so that another Icon would just be at the end of the line, but another Oasis isn't competing with the Icon class.  I could be wrong, and hopefully if I am, someone will correct me.

2 hours ago, SUgwoz said:

It seems like majority of the cruise lines avoid Tampa, which is unfortunate.  Looking at their schedule all the ships that use that port are 20+ years old.  It's not just Royal leaving them out.

I've cruised out of Tampa twice and I'd rather sail out of there than Miami or Port Canaveral.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/18/2024 at 9:07 AM, island lady said:

Me too.  Not happy with all of these mega theme park ships, that just keep getting bigger.   If I want Disney World...I will go there.  😉 

And unfortunately RCI seems to be running the sweet little ships that are still left in the fleet ....into the ground to pay for the big ladies.  Even Serenade had so many things broken on the ship, it was a total shame.  IMHO....That ship should have been sent to major dry dock before the WC.  But RCI does not want to put any money into the little ladies.  😞 

I thought I was the only one that felt this way.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, celoplyr said:

I heard that Icon and Oasis are built in different ship yards, so that another Icon would just be at the end of the line, but another Oasis isn't competing with the Icon class.  I could be wrong, and hopefully if I am, someone will correct me.

That is correct. It was discussed in the original thread here: 

13 hours ago, toxicfairy said:

I thought I was the only one that felt this way.

Unfortunately after 20 years of being "loyal to Royal" and observing so many cut backs one after the other...we are now booking with other lines.  We love the smaller ships, but Royal is putting all the money into the mega ships and letting the smaller ones just rot away.  

Sooo...to get back the romance of small ship cruising with the perks we love...we are booking mostly with Viking now.  I guess my age is showing.  😉 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, toad455 said:

I've cruised out of Tampa twice and I'd rather sail out of there than Miami or Port Canaveral.

For me...Port Canaveral a big yes, though being only 20 miles from home has a lot to do with it 😉 .....but Miami...never.  Not even a fan of Ft. Lauderdale.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ChrisCJR said:

Interesting, I didn't realize Icon was that much more. That's absolutely the reason then.

I paid almost $3800 for an inside gty on icon, the least expensive cabin category. The suites can top out at almost $100,000 for a week.

On 2/20/2024 at 9:11 AM, sgmn said:

My two pennyworth. 

C) enjoy the mega ships

Royal is hoping that this demographic sails on Celebrity or Silversea

On 2/20/2024 at 9:17 AM, fletch1027 said:

Why, when Oasis class has been so popular and such a money-maker for them?  Personally, I think RCI has taken a step backwards with Icon class, e.g. too big, too garish, too child friendly, etc.  I'd be much happier seeing a new Oasis ship, as the Oasis and Allure are approx fifteen years old and getting a little long in the tooth.

On 2/20/2024 at 6:13 PM, toad455 said:

I cruise out of 4 Florida ports frequently (I never cruise out of Jacksonville). Without question the best embarkation/debarkation process is at Terminal A at Port Miami. Every time I cruise out of there I am literally on the ship within 15 minutes of parking my car. Debarkation is usually just as fast. When we were on Icon two weeks ago, we were in our car 20 minutes after leaving our cabin. Unfortunately Terminal G at Port Miami is much slower.