Supposedly sold out cruise

wcflats

On a listed sold out cruise:ie the discovery princess for the solar eclipse…is it or do they have a process for getting on the cruise?   A back up sign on or something like that.?   I can attempt myself or go through an agent.    Is there a waitlist or something?   Thanks all.

4 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Call Princess or your TA and ask.

This. I'm on that cruise, and it's been sold out, not sold out, then sold out again. No way of telling what it is right now.

• Like 1

That must be a super popular cruise. We looked at it as well but it seemed firmly sold out. I know sometimes things open up around the final payment deadline, but I’m thinking that has probably passed for that cruise. Good luck getting a cabin - looks really fun!

2 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

That must be a super popular cruise. We looked at it as well but it seemed firmly sold out. I know sometimes things open up around the final payment deadline, but I’m thinking that has probably passed for that cruise. Good luck getting a cabin - looks really fun!

The cruise sold out looooooooooooong ago. From time to time there have been cancellations so a cabin or two will show up. If one really wants to book it I'd suggest not only getting on the wait list (slim chance of a cabin) or watching the listing compulsively to see if anything suddenly comes open. I don't have much faith that the wait list would kick in immediately and it might be possible to scoop a booking before that happens - if one is totally on top of things. (Sounds like a pain in the neck but...)

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Ellipooh said:

As an alternative, there are a limited number of cabins available on the Emerald Princess 15-day full transit that also includes the solar eclipse.

And HAL has a cruise that goes to the eclipse and then continues on to Hawaii. I think it's 22 days, and there was availability a few days ago.

14 minutes ago, Ellipooh said:

As an alternative, there are a limited number of cabins available on the Emerald Princess 15-day full transit that also includes the solar eclipse.

Like the Discovery Princess cruise, the one on Emerald Princess will be at sea for the eclipse. Far preferable to being docked or in the canal at that time. Emerald Princess will also have a very good Astronomy speaker Fred Cink (@teecee60) so you will get great eclipse info. (I'm jealous...)

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 3

There is a possibility when you get close to final payment date some cabins may be returned by TA’s. I would keep check but any cruise with a special event like an eclipse or special itinerary that you don’t see very oftener 

46 minutes ago, memoak said:

There is a possibility when you get close to final payment date some cabins may be returned by TA’s.

Only 45 days until cruise.  Final payment is long gone.  Website says Sold-Out.  There might be a slim chance getting on the waitlist.  By the way, we were waitlisted about two weeks after bookings started.

Edited by KreinKrunker

51 minutes ago, KreinKrunker said:

Only 45 days until cruise.  Final payment is long gone.  Website says Sold-Out.  There might be a slim chance getting on the waitlist.  By the way, we were waitlisted about two weeks after bookings started.

In Europe, the final payment is 30 days before cruise

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wcflats said:

On a listed sold out cruise:ie the discovery princess for the solar eclipse…is it or do they have a process for getting on the cruise?   A back up sign on or something like that.?   I can attempt myself or go through an agent.    Is there a waitlist or something?   Thanks all.

I use a T/A & although it’s listed as sold out I’ve been told that Princess holds some staterooms back. I’ve got a bid to upgrade from a balcony to a Mini Suite but as I’ve just mentioned some staterooms are being hold back. I’m not sure if & when I’ll be told something. I’ve heard that sometimes you’re asked to make a counter offer. 

Do you have a T/A? If you have contacted them please let us know what you find out. 

Tom😀

10 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

It’s popular because it’s a special, Solar Eclipse, cruise. 

Tom😀

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Thrak said:

Like the Discovery Princess cruise, the one on Emerald Princess will be at sea for the eclipse. Far preferable to being docked or in the canal at that time. Emerald Princess will also have a very good Astronomy speaker Fred Cink (@teecee60) so you will get great eclipse info. (I'm jealous...)

Not a cruise, but we will be by water on Eclipse Day.  The north-eastern shoreline of Lake Erie is in the total direct path and has the longest totality period in the vicinity and less than one hour drive from home.  Looking forward to probably the only one like it we will experience in our life time.   Like many members on here, most of my years are behind me and not in front of me - LOL.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Thrak said:

We had Fred on our Panama Canal cruise in August. He’s a wonderful speaker and so passionate about astronomy. He makes things so interesting and accessible to all. 

5 minutes ago, bladerunner6 said:

IndyKid and Steelers- how mobile are you? This time of the year is pretty much a coin flip weather wise.

Good luck and clear skies!

I have a car, and I've already arranged to have the day off from work, and my wife works mornings so we'll be able to move around a little.

1 hour ago, bladerunner6 said:

IndyKid and Steelers- how mobile are you? This time of the year is pretty much a coin flip weather wise.

Good luck and clear skies!

I know.  A cloudy day and all for naught.  We could always cross over border and head for southwest shore of Lake Erie if it seems better there.  Not planning to drive hundreds of miles if a massive cloud front in place.

On 2/18/2024 at 9:04 AM, wcflats said:

Have a TA place you on the wait list 

I was on the waitlist about a week before final payment on January 4.  Had some problems with it however - had a conf #, got a cabin then it was cancelled with NO notification.  Called Princess again, got a new conf #, etc,. And a day later it was also cancelled with NO notification.  So I went to a travel agent and they have this cruise as one of their Concierge Cruises.  I was able to book through them with no further problems. So you might try there. But if you get on the waitlist watch it like a hawk.  Weird things happen!

Edited by SEAGURRL
Removed description of travel agent (name of agency hadn't been included)
  • Like 1